English Muffins: splitting image

Why would you ever choose to make your own English muffins?

Between Wolferman’s, Bays, Thomas’, and even some of the store brands, there are plenty of perfectly good English muffins out there, easy pickings for anyone with a few bucks.

So why make your own?

Well, there’s a secret many of us know; and if you’re in on it, you’re nodding your head right now, saying, “Yeah, that’s exactly why.”

The secret is something simple, really, and not baking-specific. Woodworkers know it. Fly fishermen do, too. Gardeners know it big time.

So what is it?

DIY.

A handy acronym for Do It Yourself.

If you love to bake, you’re always up for a challenge. That crusty raisin-pecan rye from the fancy bread bakery? “I can do that.” Lorna Doone shortbread cookies? “Those, too.”

Tastykake Butterscotch Krimpets? Italian Scali bread? Classic whoopie pies?

Done, done, and deliciously done.

So, why make English muffins?

Because, as British climber George Mallory said about Everest, “Because it’s there.”

Once you’ve enjoyed a big, buxom, freshly made English muffin, full of flavor and the signature nooks and crannies this breakfast treat is known for, you won’t want to go back to store-bought. Even quality store-bought.

Because you’ve climbed the mountain and earned the view – which is wonderful.

The following recipe makes 16 large English muffins. If you’re paying $3 to $4 or more for half a dozen top-quality English muffins, you’ll definitely save money making your own.

Place the following into a mixing bowl, or into the pan of your bread machine:

1 3/4 cups lukewarm milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 1/2 cups (19 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast

This is going to be a very soft dough, so you’ll need to treat it a bit differently than most yeast doughs. If you have a stand mixer, beat the dough using the flat beater paddle until it starts coming away from the sides of the bowl, and is satin-smooth and shiny; this will take about 5 minutes at medium-high speed. When you lift up the beater, the dough will be very stretchy.

If you have a bread machine, simply use the dough cycle.

Scrape the dough into a rough ball, and cover the bowl. Let the dough rise until it’s nice and puffy…

…like this. It’ll take 1 to 2 hours or so.

Next, prepare your griddle(s).

I’m fortunate to have two large cast iron griddles; each one stretches over two burners on my stove.

To give the muffins their signature crunchy crust, I sprinkled one griddle with semolina, one with farina (e.g., Cream of Wheat). I wanted to see which, if either, became less charred as the muffins cooked. And the answer is – no difference, use either.

Using two griddles allows me to cook all the muffins at once; but most of you probably won’t have two griddles, so you’ll need to cook the muffins in shifts. Whatever you use – an electric griddle, stovetop griddle, frying pan, electric frying pan – sprinkle it heavily with semolina or farina.

If you’re using a griddle or frying pan that’s not well-seasoned (or non-stick), spray with non-stick vegetable oil spray first, before adding the semolina or farina.

Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball, then flatten the balls until they’re about 3″ to 3 1/2″ in diameter.

The easiest way to handle and cook these muffins is to lay them right onto the surface you’ll be frying them on – in my case, the two griddles. That way, you don’t have to move them once they’re risen.

If you can’t do this, sprinkle a baking sheet heavily with semolina or farina, and place the muffins on the sheet; they can be fairly close together.

Either way, sprinkle the tops of the muffins with additional semolina or farina.

Here are my two pans of muffins, already atop their (unlit) burners.

Cover the muffins (a piece of parchment works well), and let them rest for 20 minutes. They won’t rise like crazy, but will puff a bit.

Now comes the somewhat tricky part: cooking.

You need to find the exact amount of heat that’ll cook the muffins all the way through and brown them perfectly – simultaneously.

Cooking the muffins for about 15 minutes per side over VERY low heat worked well for me. But, unless you have two large griddles, this long cooking time may become problematic, as the muffins waiting to cook could over-rise and become fragile.

The solution? Slightly higher heat and a quicker cook on the stove (say, 7 minutes per side), followed by a short bake in the oven.

If you find your muffins are browning too quickly, turn the heat down. If they’re already as brown as you like, but still not cooked through, don’t panic; you’ll be able to finish them off in the oven.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Within a few minutes of when you’ve begun to cook the muffins, they’ll start to puff dramatically.

You want English muffins, not dinner rolls, so weigh them down gently to prevent further rising. A piece of parchment atop the muffins, and a baking sheet atop the parchment, works perfectly for me.

If they run into one another as they rise, simply use a sharp knife to gently cut them apart and separate them.

Bottom left, the muffins after they’ve been flipped over. Bottom right – I flipped them again, and it looks like they’re done.

Let’s see. REALLY nice crust, eh?

As you can see, the farina/semolina burned on the pan, but not on the muffins – score!

Let’s check the inside.

Hmmm, the edges look good, full of nooks and crannies; but the center is a bit doughy.

Into the oven they go – 350°F for about 10 minutes should do it.

You want the muffins’ centers to register right around 200°F on  your digital thermometer.

Let the muffins cool thoroughly before enjoying.

And remember: use a fork to split, not a knife to cut. Fork-split muffins will have wonderful nooks and crannies; knife-cut ones won’t.

Even easier – use an English muffin splitter. If you eat a lot of muffins, you’ll really appreciate this handy tool.

See? Is that one good-looking homemade English muffin, or what?

Move over, Thomas! Just like Jimi Hendrix did with Bob Dylan, we DIY-ers have got you covered.

Read, make, and review (please) our recipe for English Muffins.

Print just the recipe.

comments

1. memphisrn

I have a recipe that was in the box when I bought 8 muffin rings. It makes only 8 but that’s enough for me. Mine have a rising period with half the flour and after they rise, add the rest of the flour and some butter. What I like about the recipe is that when you add the sticky batter to the rings and let them rise again, they can be popped in the over till they are golden. Very easy and they taste very good to me. I do like the rings as they are all the same size and I’m not very good at measuring out neatly.
    The muffins look just like your last picture when buttered.

1. jay

I have the same rings and recipe. I’ve had the for years and I am going to try them today for the first time in 30 years. I hope they turn out as well as yours do.

2. Shirley

I use my rings every time I make them and bake them…I like them fine and it so much easier than the above recipe for me….

3. member-stanleyd

I found this KA recipe to be easy and I couldn’t believe how great they looked. Better than anything I have ever seen from a store. I thought the cooking on the griddle would be difficult but they move around very easily and you can stand over them and get them done perfectly. The dough is sticky but I kept a bowl of farina on the counter so I could keep my hands floured.
      I think this would be an excellent recipe to introduce someone to baking.
      Every kitchen should have a cast iron griddle or large fry pan. They are cheap and easy to care for – lots of information on line on how to keep a good non-stick surface on them.

2. Anne

Among small breads English muffins are one of my personal favorites. But I have never tried making my own – because I don’t have the rings. (Well, I might have tried using tuna fish cans – improvising as inspired by Mrs. Child. But it must have been very long ago if I did.)

It’s amazing how tempting, and beautifully shaped, these DIY English muffins turned out in the pictures! The baking part does seem tricky. I need to go over the steps again to figure out I could adapt these in my kitchen. So thanks, PJ and company, for this and all the great posts!

Some posts are quite foreign to me, like gluten-free baking. But these days I have met more people who said they want to try taking in less gluten in their diet, though they don’t necessary have medical reason to do so. I am glad that I could refer them to find GF recipes at the KAF site.

For me I love those posts highlighting a local favorite – for example, recently, Pamela’s pancakes. Keeping cloning those legendary goodies! It’s the next best thing short of being there. Thanks so much.

Anne, thanks so much for your kind words; we really enjoy sharing all our “finds” with readers like yourself. As for the English muffins, frankly, I couldn’t believe they came out looking so good, either! I’d never made them without rings before, but this recipe is really easy; it does take a bit of tinkering to find the best combination of low heat, timing, and perhaps a short finish in the oven, but it’s an interesting process and the end result is yummy. Hope you give them a try sometime – PJH

3. skeptic7

I use the recipe on the English Muffin ring box, only it normally makes 9 English muffins. I have a large biscuit cutter the same size as a ring to use for the ninth muffin. I like baking them, I”ve never tried frying them as they all cook at the same time and don’t have to be watched.
    I also do whole wheat English Muffins and Banana English muffins.

Wow, banana English muffins – there’s an interesting (and yummy sounding) concept, for sure. Thanks for the tip about the biscuit cutter/muffin ring – I’m sure others will take you up on that… PJH

4. Elizabeth M

This looks terrific. I can’t wait to try this recipe. Other than timing/heat on the cooking, it’s so much easier than I would have expected.

But a question — the honey wheat English muffin recipe on this site is so much more complicated. Do you think this simpler version could be adjusted with at least part whole wheat flour?

Definitely, Elizabeth – try substituting 1 cup white whole wheat flour for an equal amount of the AP, see how you like the result, then go from there. Good luck – PJH

5. Margo, Thrift at Home

I adore English muffins, I’m a confident bread baker, but all the homemade English muffins I’ve had did not impress me with their lack of holes and lack of crust. And I DO love kitchen projects – that’s what my blog is all about! Yours are pretty, for sure. And I do make bagels. . . . hm.

I would want whole grain flour in there. For now, I’m going to stick with Thomas’ on sale.
    We hope you’ll change your mind and give them a try. You can substitute some of the white flour with whole wheat or white whole wheat.

1. bonnie caarol

Margo these English Muffins will not disappoint! They are wonderful. I’ll never do store bought again.

6. sandra Alicante

I’m in Spain, so my flour tends to be a bit different but I made these exactly as in the recipe (using a medium egg, as I think ours are larger) and the dough was perfect. I used the lowest setting on electric griddle and shaped only half the dough at first, Then when the they were turned over, shaped the second lot. This worked great, avoiding any possible over proofing. Cooked for the full 15 min on each side.
    Perfect, and I’m a Brit!

Thanks for the feedback, Sandra – always nice to hear from you! Glad they turned out, even with the necessary modifications – PJH

1. Marina

That’s a great idea that I will try next time, as mine are taking way too long on the stove and the rest are waiting, impatiently, for their turn on the griddle!

7. Naughtysquirrel

I made these the other day tossing in some of my throwaway sour dough starter – yum, best ever – I haven’t found the need to use rings(yet)…I put my muffin dough onto parchment paper to rise then put the whole sheet in my electric skillet – works for me and they keep their shape – keep those recipes coming – KAF, you are da bomb!!!
    We love when our fellow bakers give out brilliant tips and ideas. Happy baking! Betsy@KAF

8. rnjcole

I have been making the sourdough english muffins from the KAF 200th anniversary cookbook for several years now. My husband would never go back to store bought. I have struggled a bit – my dough has always been more dry than the instructions seem to anticipate. I know the consistency now, and moderate the amount of flour and liquid to get a slightly wetter dough. I have never had rings – nor been able to pour the batter. My evolved process follows – and works for me.
    I make the dough as directed, with the sourdough fed overnight. After the first rise, I roll my dough and cut it biscuit-style with a large plastic cup that seems just the right size. I cover a baking sheet with Cream of wheat (I used cornmeal at first, but hubby complained about the hard bits). I lay all my cut muffins out on the sheet, cover with plastic sprayed lightly so as not to stick. My flat non-stick skillet is large enough for four at a a time. I do not need to spray the skillet, but after placing my muffins on heat, I actually cover the skillet with the square glass of my electric skillet. Its not air tight, but creates nice steam. That’s 10 minutes on the first side. After 10, I remove the cover, flip the muffins, and cook another 10 uncovered. All on very low (but not lowest) heat of my gas range. I don’t think we’ve ever waited until they were completely cool to sample one! Those in the waiting line will rise a little higher, but remain sturdy not fragile.

Thanks for the great tips!-Jon

9. amyp

I’m so excited for this recipe! I have been combining two of the other English muffin recipes from the website to get the ingredients I wanted to use with the stove top cooking method. I don’t have English muffin rings, so I have been gently rolling out the dough and cutting circles with an upside down drinking glass. This method worked well (and tasted great!) but the muffins sometimes lost the nooks and crannies. I’m going to give this recipe a try tomorrow and see how it comes out! I always make them with half whole wheat flour, I will probably give this a shot as written first to see how it goes. Thanks!
    Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes. ~ MaryJane

10. hadleyct

I’m curious about the temperature of the griddle. I have an electric griddle and ‘low’ and ‘slightly higher’ aren’t very precise. And the recipe itself said nothing about temperature. Any idea of the temperature for those using electric griddles so there’s no guessing involved?
    I usually do mine between 350°F and 375°F. You may have to fiddle a bit to find the best temp on yours. ~ MaryJane

11. Maria

I make homemade English muffins because I live in Italy and miss my American breakfast. Yours look great, mine not so great, I will try again and again! Thank you for this recipe.
    You’ll have to throw a big brunch, with all the tastes of home. ~ MaryJane

12. winnie@winniesinkyfingers.com

These look so delicious. I do have a griddle so I will try them. I have never thought to make my own english muffins. Order from Wolfermanns as a treat from time to time. Thank you.
    I’m so glad you’ll give these a try, I’m sure you will be thrilled. ~ MaryJane

13. KathyGM

I want to try this using an electric griddle. Any tips on what temp to use?

14. goyaboy

I use about 2 teaspoons of dried milk which gives me that nice coloring on the bottom. I also use a frying pan, to cook them, but finish them off in the oven (Just to be safe). They make an incredible looking and tasting english muffin.

Good tip about the dry milk – thanks so much for sharing. I’d love to see a picture of your muffins sometime – when we redesign this blog, I’d surely like to have it include the capability for readers to post their own photos… PJH

1. bonnie caarol

I found I like to finish them off in the oven too, My stove top is not reliable on temps so I get them to beautiful and finish off in the oven.. Wonderful stuff this recipe!

15. J.T.

Fork-split is the only way to go. I learned this from a British gentleman, RH Bertram Hole, when i was a young boy visiting his gandson. It maximizes the surface area for butter, your favorite spreads, etc.

16. Dave

Having piping hot English Muffins ready on a Sunday morning for my wife when she wakes up is always a good way to start the day 🙂

I’m wondering about putting the dough together the night before and letting it rise in the fridge. I’d think I’d reduce the yeast to around 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon? What do you think? Any other tweaks you’d make?
    The dough can rest in the fridge overnight, but you will not need to adjust the yeast amount. ~Amy

17. geogal34

The dough was a little tricky to deal with as I do everything by hand, but apparently I did ok because these were awesome! I made the dough the night before and let it rise in the fridge for about 12 hours. I used an electric griddle set to 350, cooked the muffins for about 7 minutes a side and put them in a 350 oven for 8 minutes. I was so tickled with how they actually looked like English muffins. My friend wondered why I was bringing her a random bag of them before I said I had made them myself. Everyone was impressed!
    Good for you, taking the leap. Now, how will you ever go back to store-bought? The answer is … you won’t have to! Enjoy! ~ MaryJane

18. "Lady Bear"

I love the English Muffins made at home. I use sour Dough to make mine and I have baked and cooked on the griddle. We prefer the griddle! Has anyone completed a nutritional analysis for this recipe, or have an idea of the carb count? I am a diabetic who loves bread and I have to count my carbs carefully!

I am sorry to say that we do not have this information available to us. However, a nutritional calculator is a great tool to help determine this. One that we like can be found here: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp -Jon

19. Pia

I’m assuming you can toast after they’d baked

You certainly can! Just make sure to wait until their are cool before doing so.-Jon

20. Zanne4848

Two questions: Can I use KA AP flour instead of the bread flour? Can I freeze these successfully – otherwise I’ll be as big as a house if I eat all of them? :-}
    Thanks

AP flour will work fine, also the muffins freeze very well!-Jon

21. mmd

Just made these yesterday following recipe and process. Amazingly perfect!! Crispy outside. Fork split nooks. And I don’t consider myself a bread maker.

I think you can now! Great job! Kim@KAF

22. annseams

They are delicious! I haven’t bought English Muffins for a while because I thought they had an odd taste which was probably the preservatives. I made these today using KA bread flour and whole wheat flour from a local farm. I used 1 cup (4 3/4 ozs) of the whole wheat (measured it then weighed it since it wasn’t KA) and added enough bread flour to make the 19 oz specified in the recipe. I ended up adding almost another whole cup of bread flour because the dough didn’t leave the sides of the bowl and was really sloppy with the original amount. I used my electric griddle and because I had them, 8 rings. I did have to fiddle with the temperature. The first batch got too dark on the bottom and weren’t quite done in the middle so they went into the oven. I lowered the griddle temperature for the second batch which browned nicely but went into the oven too. 10 minutes at 350° was just right. Next time I’ll use more whole wheat flour and might underbake them slightly since the toaster made the bottoms ultra crispy. By the way, Cream of Buckwheat worked very well instead of semolina or Cream of Wheat neither of which were in my pantry.

Thanks for sharing the “action research” from your kitchen! We’re glad you discovered what works best for you, both with the ingredients and the method of baking these treats. Happy Baking – Irene @ KAF

23. kkbr04

The dough was as described above, stretchy and smooth and shiny and looked exactly as in the photos above. . . and was the most difficult dough that I have ever worked with in more than 20 years of baking. It stuck to everything, my fingers, utensils, plastic wrap, silicone spatulas. . . and was very difficult to scrape off.

What I learned: 1.) Use lots of flour in shaping the muffins. 2.) Forget about the parchment covering during the 20 minute rest. The parchment sticks to the dough. Instead, dust really well with flour and cover with plastic wrap. 3.) Don’t use parchment/baking sheet on top during baking. The parchment sticks to the muffins (no matter how much flour is on top), and the weight of the baking sheet compresses them to flat disks. 4.) Instead, once the muffins start to rise, just use fingers to pat them down gently in the center. 5.) After those changes, they can end up looking like the ones in the photos above.

6.) Go back to the dough in muffin rings method.

Wow, what a waste of an afternoon.

We feel your frustration, gentle baker. Know that using more flour in the dough or shaping the english muffins will likely result in a more even texture/sandwich-like interior, while working with that sticky dough and shaping with wet hands will result in a more hole-y interior. The key is doing what you are comfortable with so the journey or process is fun, not frustrating. We hope you try making english muffins again now that you’ve taken this recipe out for a test drive. Irene@KAF

24. Joellyn

Due to time restrictions , i made the dough in the evening and refrigerated it overnight for a retarded rise . Shaped and grilled the muffins the next morning ,and they were wonderful ! I also substituted Honey for the sugar . As to the stickiness of the dough , anyone who has made ciabatta will have an easier time working with this recipe . Don’t give up !

25. dpchef1023

Has anyone tried this recipe using your gluten free flours? I’m a professional pastry chef and a very skilled baker. I bought rings to try English muffins but am researching recipes now. I’d like to know if you’ve had any experience doing these gluten free. Thanks.
    Yes, our GF blogger Amy did a great blog on GF English muffins. Hope you find it helpful! ~ MaryJane

26. bjbeau

I made these for the third time today…not quite satisfied. First batch came out good made as following recipe except used cornmeal for sprinkling the griddle pan. I found cornmeal burned if not watched carefully. Every one still loved them. Second batch was made with whole wheat white flour. I think I got the batter too dry. But my husband still thought they were the best he ever ate. Today I made them with 2 1/2 cups AP flour and 2 1/4 white whole wheat flour…the batter was nice and sticky…and rose very well. Baked them on my one griddle 8 at a time on semolina flour…on cold griddle took 16 min on first side and 7 on second..and just to be sure baked them in 350 oven for 10 min til 200 degrees. second batch on warm griddle took only 7 min to brown on first side and 7 min on 2nd side. and 10 min in oven. They rose well and came out beautiful. I use semolina for sprinkling the griddle. Worked much better. I am going to try again using all whole wheat, and watching that I don’t get the batter too dry. My only complaint is how do you get them even in size. I tried dividing the dough..but some are larger than others..not too bad but maybe I should weigh the pieces. Any ideas?
    Yes, if you really want each piece to be as close as possible in size, you should weigh out the total batter, then divide it up evenly. ~ MaryJane

1. BusyBaking

I also find it’s easier to portion the dough with kitchen scissors. I flatten the dough ball into a thick even disc, mark the portion lines with the tip of a sharp knife, dip my scissors in cooking oil and cut the dough into 16 pieces. If I see they aren’t even in size after I shape them into balls, I cut bits off the larger ones and add them to the smaller ones. For me, it’s much easier than using my hands.

2. MaryJane Robbins

Carol, you are so full of great muffins ideas. In my book, you’d totally be hired as my personal muffin chef! ~ MJ

27. Julia

I’m so glad I tried this recipe! I modified it just a bit: I used warm water (and proofed the yeast in it) plus buttermilk powder instead of regular milk. I let the dough rise on the counter for an hour, then put it in the fridge overnight. This morning, while the dough was still cold, I formed the balls. I let them warm up before frying on the griddle, with a finish in the oven. I ate one right out of the oven…no way I could wait till it cooled. I think I’ll be making an egg sandwich with one for lunch. I’ll never buy english muffins again!

28. Zexia

I don’t have a stand mixer or a bread maker. Do you think I could use the beaters meant for kneading bread with my hand mixer instead?

You’d need to watch this very carefully to be sure the dough doesn’t climb up the beater or dough hook into the hand mixer, or choose another recipe for English muffins from our website! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

29. Ibb

English Muffins are never made using rings. Rings are for Crumpets, using a batter not a dough.
    Muffins don’t need a ring, once cut using a straight edge cutter they are left to rise, before cooking on top of the stove, never in the oven.

30. BusyBaking

I don’t have a griddle, but I do have two of the professional baking sheets, like the one shown in your pictures. They are heavy aluminum and hold an even heat really well. I absolutely love them for so many things. For this recipe, I preheated one of the baking sheets over two burners on my stove. I put the muffins on the other baking sheet and stacked it on top of the hot one. I used waxed paper and a thinner baking sheet on top of the muffins to keep them from puffing too high. The warm waxed paper came right off. I used a low heat to ‘fry’ the muffins about 20 minutes on the first side. Then I turned them over, separated the two baking sheets and used the empty sheet as a lid. The second side took 8 minutes to brown. They were baked through but still very moist in the middle, which made them perfect for toasting. These are delicious with butter and orange marmalade or cinnamon honey butter or peanut butter and jelly or open-faced with your favorite cheese melted on top . . . . . . . The possibilities are endless! I’m going to add some sourdough starter in the next batch. Yum!

31. sherry gauldin

it’s a rainy chilly day and i wanted to make these, but i don’t have instant yeast on hand. should i use active dry and let rise twice and add it to the warm milk? or rapid rise and just add it to the dry ingredients. I don’t know the difference between the instant and the others in terms of trying to substitute. any suggestions welcome. thanks. Sherry

I would use active dry yeast as a replacement. Allow it to dissolve in your warm milk and then mix it into the recipe. We never suggest to use rapid rise yeast in our recipes as we generally call for 2+ rises. For more information about yeast, we have an entire page devoted to it! Jon@KAF http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/yeast.html

32. Cauleyp

Made these today using the recipe exactly as written. They are FANTASTIC! Used our day-to-day (well-seasoned) griddle on our gas stove. The muffins cooked easily to 200 degrees so there was no need for the oven. I’ve made English muffins using KA’s recipe for baked muffins using muffin rings. Honestly I think this recipe is better and actually easier – it will definitely be my go-to recipe from now on.

I’m sorry to say that we do not have an exact temperature. We used low heat for our griddle, happy baking! Jon@KAF

33. cwcdesign

Since tomorrow is supposed to be rainy, I’m finally going to try these, but I’d like to let the dough rest in the refrigerator overnight. When I take it out of the fridge, do I leave it at room temperature for a while or do I form the muffins and expect them to take a little longer than 20 minutes to puff up?

Also, while I plan to follow the recipe exactly this time, except may sub some WWW, could you substitute buttermilk for the milk without making any other changes to the recipe?

Thanks, Carol

I would shape the dough right out of the refrigerator, but they may take a bit longer to rise. Please make sure to increase the milk (or buttermilk, that will be fine) about 1 tablespoon per cup of whole wheat used. Jon@KAF

34. Orang3

Thank you for the great recipe. Having also made your English muffin toasting bread, I think this recipe is better. The flavor and texture is much closer to a traditional English muffin. But I really did like the idea of baking the muffin in a loaf pan instead of going through all the hassle of using a griddle. So I made some adjustments to this recipe and tried it in a loaf pan. The result is the best of both worlds!

417g lukewarm milk
    43g softened butter
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    25g sugar
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    539g King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
    2 teaspoons instant yeast

This recipe makes 2- 9x4x4 loafs. I had no problem with cutting this recipe in half.
    I increased the hydration by 5%. Follow the original recipe for mixing(step 1 and 2). Cover the dough and let it rest for 25 minutes. Butter a Pullman loaf pan. After resting, divide the dough in half. Stretch and fold each piece of the dough into a log shape. Place the log into the loaf pan and tried to even it out. Wetting your hands with water make this process much easier than using flour. Cover the pan and allow to proof. The dough will triple in volume~ 1 hour. Bake at 350F for 26 minutes.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

I’m absolutely going to try this, now that you’ve thrown down the gauntlet! Thanks so much for sharing it here – I’ll let you know how it comes out. PJH

35. Bete

Hello 🙂

I really love this recipe but I would like to know if it is possible to replace the egg with another ingredient?

Thank you very much for your attention 🙂

Best wishes,
    Bete

36. Carol

I didn’t have semolina or cream of wheat so I used ron wheat germ. It worked perfectly! It didn’t burn and my muffins didn’t stick.

37. Ellie Clemens

Would it be possible to skip the sugar? I’m lactose intolerant and so I’d be using low-lactose milk, which is quite sweet. I’m hoping to avoid having the muffins come out too sweet. I live in France, and the only english muffins I can buy here taste almost like cake, they’re so sweet!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Sure, Ellie, feel free to leave out the sugar. It doesn’t contribute to structure, unlike, say in a cake. Good luck – PJH

You are correct CHefLora. All the ounces you see on our website are going to be weight ounces with a few possible exceptions that would be directly noted. Thanks for pointing that out! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

2. Estoy Listo

I poured two ounces of milk into my measuring cup, and it came up to the two ounce line–this was 2%. My lovely wife wisely checked and verified. Two ounces.

3. Anita

Sorry ChefLora, NOT a big difference 🙂 For milk, water, and similar liquids, a fluid ounce IS equivalent to a weight ounce, so not to worry. “A pint’s a pound the world around” remember? And a pint is 16 fluid ounces, and a pound is 16 weight ounces, so same difference as long as the fluid is water-like in density. Won’t work for, say, honey.

38. Renina Sales

My dough was not elastic at all. It was “dry”. I live in a high altitude area (7000 feet) and very dry. Is that why!? I’m waiting for it to rise and it’s about 1h and 30min and nothing :/

Hi Renina- If you live in a dry area, you certainly may need more liquid than usually so you can add in a teaspoon or two at a time until you get to a smooth supple dough as seen in the photo. If your dough was dry, it was probably a but too heavy for your yeast when it was trying to rise, so adding a little extra liquid should help you with that as well. If you have any further questions, please feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253 and we’d be happy to help you out. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

2. Renina Sales

Thank you! O ended up finishing the recipe anyway because I didn’t want to waste all the ingredients. It was edible but not what I expected. Hubby liked it, though.(go figure…). Now that I know how to do it properly, I’ll definitely try it again! 🙂

39. Judy Caudill

Could I add pumpkin to this recipe? I bought some pumpkin spice english muffins from the grocery store yesterday and they are wonderful. They are also sweeter..

Hi Judy-
      Unfortunately, because pumpkin puree is going to bring both more solids and more liquid to the recipe in different ratios, you will not be able to get the same product with that classic English muffin texture if you add the puree. It would create a heavier batter and you would most likely have a much denser final product. You could add in some pumpkin flavoring, but that would be the most you could do without really effecting the final product. If you have any further questions, please feel free to call our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253 and we’d be happy to further assist you. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

You’ll have beautiful biceps when you a done, but you certainly can beat this dough by hand. It will take about 10-12 minutes, but you can do it! Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

40. First Time English Muffin Baker

Can I use almond milk instead of regular milk? Would I use the same measurements?
    Also can I double the recipe and leave some shaped already in the fridge while another batch is baking?

You certainly may use almond milk in an equal amount to the regular milk! If you wanted to double the recipe, please don’t double the yeast. Letting the muffins rise more slowly will give you more wiggle time, and you can still chill the muffins as they wait to be griddled. You may also want to try the suggestion from the blog to maximize your minimal griddle space: “Slightly higher heat and a quicker cook on the stove (say, 7 minutes per side), followed by a short bake in the oven.” Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

41. Susan E. Basiri

I’ve made this recipe two or three times and it’s so much fun to make! All my muffins have little holes on the sides because I love to play with my inexpensive-but-accurate instant read thermometer (190-200 degrees each, y’know.) I’ve given the muffins away to friends and family, and they all say that these English muffins are better than that most well-named brand! KA recipe page is in my Favorites on my computer, so King Arthur RISES to the occasion yet again. (Sorry. I’m a retired English teacher.)

Susan, it’s clear you a flouring into quite the baker! Thanks for the positive feedback and we wish you happy baking for years to come! –Kye@KAF

42. AllieB.

I baked these English muffins on a pizza stone at 400 degrees, 8 minutes each side. I also rolled out the dough like you would pizza dough. 3 inch rounds/one half inch thickness. Cover with the parchment and cookie sheet on top while baking.

43. Katherine Hall

i love this recipe. I have tried others before but this takes the blue ribbon. I live in Mexico in the winter months and no English Muffins here. I didn’t change a thing and also made them with multi grain flour too!

44. DJG

Love these, as do my hubby, and older sons when they visit! They comment on the hint of butter taste. I was wondering if you can substitute 2% milk without loss in flavor. Has anyone tried? Thanks for a great recipe!

Egg sandwiches are a favorite in my house. These would be a super addition to an already wonderful breakfast treat. Sure you may use 2% in place of the some or all of the water. Omit the milk powder. Happy baking! Elisabeth@KAF

45. Deb & Tad

Hi PJ! I absolutely loved your article/recipe for English muffins. My husband, a cooking aficionado, procured an ostrich egg the other day. His friend challenged him to make a giant Eggs Benedict with the ostrich egg. Of course, this means that we also need a giant size English muffin (approximately 16 inches in diameter)! Your recipe looks completely do-able for this challenge, and we have a large enough griddle for the job. I was wondering if you have any suggestions regarding the size, cooking time and/or changes in proportions of ingredients that we might want to consider in this endeavor?
    Thanks!

That sounds like a fun challenge- and I’m glad not to be the one poaching the egg! You can probably do a double batch of the dough, and be sure it is soft, so the dough spreads on the grill. You won’t need to change the proportions, but you’ll want to cook it until it is golden brown, with a temperature of 190 or above. Try using your pizza peel if you need to flip or remove it. That’s going to be a LOT of Hollandaise! Laurie@KAF

46. Maria Luna

Hi!
    I am hoping to make english muffins here in a few days, and in the kitchen I will be making them in we have a flattop. Do you think they could be cooked on there? and if so, how?

Sincerely,
    Maria

Yes, you can “bake” the English muffins on a flattop or griddle. This blog may help: bit.ly/1uSwOgQ If this doesn’t explain it to you, consider a call to our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

47. Stephanie

These were a hit! I altered the recipe a bit by using 2 cups of whole wheat flour and then 2.5 cups of bread flour. Because whole wheat tends to make dough drier, I added 3 tbsp of yogurt and 1 tbsp of honey. I let them rise the first time and then after shaping them, I let them rise again for a solid hour (might have been my kitchen was cold at the time, or the whole wheat flour) but they needed more time to rise some. Then the rest of the recipe was exactly the same and it was amazing! Who knew it would be this great to make your own! This is a perfect recipe to alter to your tastes.

48. Megan

Have you tried doing this recipe with almond or rice flour? I try not to eat too much dairy for ethical/animal rights reasons but sometimes the recipes don’t go well with non-dairy milks!

Megan, I don’t believe we have tried this specific recipe with either of those flours, but we do have another English Muffin recipe that is both gluten and dairy free. I will post the link for you. http://bit.ly/1C1yRA6
      But if you’re trying to avoid dairy, go ahead and use an alternative milk in the recipe, it should be just fine. Bryanna@KAF

49. jim57

Just finished making these English Muffins, followed the recipe exactly and nailed it. My wife says she isn’t buying the ” nooks and crannies ” brand ever again. Wish I knew how to post a picture of them. They look fantastic!

50. Elaine Van Gunst

Just finished making these – they look awesome and really very easy to make. What a fun morning project. Thank you for this recipe. Will enjoy them for breakfast tomorrow!

51. Noreen Hendley

I am an experienced baker but had never made english muffins before. I loved this recipe , they look beautiful, tasted delicious and were very easy to make. I used rapid rise yeast and regular King Arthur flour. The dough was not sticky . I used an electric griddle (and corn meal since that was what I had on hand. ) at temp 300 for 8 min each side and then about 6 minutes in oven . My family is coming for a visit and I will be proud to have homemade muffins and marmalade for them.
    Thank you so much for giving me such a fun experience.

52. Christine

These looked the part for sure on the outside: looked beautiful . However once halved ( I did use a fork. Not a knife). They didn’t have the large nooks and crannies or the slight ” chew” to the texture I was looking for. Small crannies and more of a bread like consistency. They were not bad…. But not the keeper recipe that I’m looking for either.

Christine, it sounds like your dough might have been a bit more dense than ideal. This can easily happen if you measure your flour by volume, since scooping your flour into the cup can yield a very heavy cup of flour, which will cause you to add too much flour to your recipe. For best results, we recommend weighing your ingredients, or using this method of measuring your flour by volume. If this doesn’t sound like what happened to your English Muffins, please give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253. We’d love to help you troubleshoot! Barb@KAF

53. Heather

I love King Arthur flour, this lovely website, and most of the recipes I find here. I didn’t really care for this recipe, however. Possibly because I’m at high altitude–above 5,000 ft. I thought the result was too dense and a little too sweet. I feel one tablespoon of sugar would have been plenty. The dense texture may have been the result of weighing down the cooking muffins with a pan. It pushed the air out and they were quite heavy. Also, for me the cooking time listed was too long. Fifteen minutes is too much time on a cast iron griddle at medium low to low temperature. I did about five minutes per side and that was plenty. I don’t like to bake muffins, I prefer the griddle method. Finally, mine got to 160 degrees F internal temp and that was quite enough. They were not doughy, but in fact too dry. Had I kept cooking them to reach 200, they would have been inedible.

I honestly think the problem was not recipe, but most likely the altitude. Baking at high altitude is quite different. I wish this website would include a high altitude variation in the recipes.

Thank you.

Heather, we’re a bit challenged when it comes to testing our recipes at high-altitude, since we are located in a river valley, but we do offer these high-altitude baking tips to help guide your modifications. Barb@KAF

54. Darlene

Wondering if anyone has tried using a (Cuisinart) Griddler. I have tried Alton Brown’s recipe, although quite different, using rings on the griddler at 300F for 12 mins. Lid down, no need for flipping over. Works very well. Much more of a “soupy” dough so the rings do really help. Curious before I start experimenting….

55. Cindy

I just made these English muffins this morning, and they are great! I cooked 8 of them on a non-stick griddle, 4 in a 12″ stainless steel skillet, and 4 in a 10″ cast iron skillet. it worked out perfectly. I have a simmer setting on my gas stove, and I started out using that, and after about 20 minutes, I decided I needed a little more heat, so I cranked it up to LOW. They browned nicely and were cooked on the inside using this method. I will definitely make these again!

56. Rena McClain

Love these muffins. The only thing I wish you included was the nutritional values. I am keeping track of calories and making my own makes it hard to know how many calories to count.

We’re so glad you’re enjoying these, Rena. You’ll be glad to know that we have calculated the nutritional information for this recipe! You can view this by clicking on the “Nutrition Information” link beneath the “At a Glance” box on the recipe page. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

57. Gail

Wow! these turned out great! Used 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 3 1/ 2 cups white. I used plastic gloves to shape them so they didn’t stick at all. Also I didn’t push them down when they were cooking, they deflated enough when I turned them over. I don’t mind them being puffy. I think there might be more nooks and crannys this way. Need to make crumpets next!

58. Steve

I have made the English muffin toasting bread many times and love it but I havent made these yet! But just a suggestion on keeping them from over proofing while waiting for the fist batch to cook I will try retarding the proofing process by putting half of the dough in the fridge I use this method a lot with making pizza dough (for a slow rise) Not sure if it will work but will keep you updated on my sucess.
    Thanks for the great recipes

59. Nancy

I first tried these using the KAF mix. I overcooked them a bit on the griddle, but then baked them to cook al the way through. My problem was that the dough is so sticky! spreading the dough in the rings was a challenge! Any thoughts on how to make this an easier process? Thanks!

Nancy, even when making bread mixes, it helps to have an extra 1/4 to 1/2 cup of flour nearby to sprinkle on your work surface as you knead and shape the dough. A dusting of extra flour should make the griddling process much easier next time. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

60. David Smith

Another way to bake these: if you can get a baking surface to roughly 700 degrees– pizza oven or gas with baking stone, you can form these and bake immediately for less than two minutes on a side– internal temp 200 degrees. They puff nicely and have a good open crumb.