Our 2015 Recipe of the Year: good stuff

Chocolate chip cookies. Oatmeal cookies. Which is your favorite?

Sometimes it’s just so hard to choose, isn’t it? And that’s the situation we recently found ourselves in when selecting our 2015 King Arthur Flour Recipe of the Year.

Last year’s recipe was pretty much a slam dunk. The #1 searched recipe on our site, Classic 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread, has everything we value in a recipe.

It uses whole grains, which we believe are a nutritious part of a healthy diet. It’s bread – and yeast bread bakers have always been some of our most passionate customers.

And honestly, its number-one attribute? It tastes good.

DSC_5001

And makes a heckuva PB & J.

But never mind 2014 – that’s history. And it’s time to announce our 2015 Recipe of the Year:

DSC_3411

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

Soft and chewy, packed with chips, and taken beyond the standard chocolate chip cookie with the addition of nutty tasting oats, these are everything you dream of in a cookie.

But they’re more than just yummy. And that’s why we’ve crowned them our 2015 champ.

The recipe originally came from the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer non-profit, which King Arthur Flour supports.

IMG_8834

And it morphed into the signature cookie of our new Bake Truck

2015blog

…which travels the country handing out cookies and taking donations for local charities as part of our company-wide national Bake for Good effort. To date, after just one season, the truck has raised thousands of dollars for charities as diverse as the St. Bernard Soup Kitchen of Rockland, Maine, and Camp Kemo of Columbia, SC.

We love cookies – who doesn’t? But we’re just as passionate about baking and sharing, whatever form that takes. These delicious cookies are ideal for bake sales, potlucks, neighborly gifts, and sharing with friends and family, of course.

And for those two reasons – yumminess (with a touch of nutritious whole grains), and shareability – we crown these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies our 2015 Recipe of the Year.

Cookies are always served (and received) with a smile. Who will you bake for today?

For more information on our Bake Truck, and where it’s headed next, visit our Bake for Good schedule.

And, if you’re baking gluten-free, we haven’t forgotten you – try the gluten-free version of our recipe of the year: Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

comments

1. Denise Barry

Hi PJ its Denise from Cape Heritage have made these choc chip oatmeal cookies so much And ate just as many. My grandson who’s 15 calls Grammie make more cooies please. Loved meeting you and thanks for the tips. Thankyou !!!

1. Kalisa

Yup, I can vouch that this cookie is a slam-dunk at charity bake sales! I make a double batch and sell them 3 to a sandwich bag. They practically leap off the table and into the hands of happy snackers.

I volunteer with a local cat rescue and can say that these cookies have worked to save the lives of cats. We use all our bake sale funds to pay for medical expenses and to help us foster cats until they find their true home with a loving family.

Plus these cookies are just dang tasty!

2. Donna

Excellent choice for recipe of the year! I have tried many Oatmeal Chocolate Chip recipes over the years and this, by far, is my favorite! Results are consistent, just the right amount of oats and chips and the full tablespoon of vanilla elevates it to a new level. It is my “go to” recipe when I’m asked to bring cookies to events and they are devoured every time. Bravo, King Arthur Flour!

We haven’t try this, but feel free to. I would advise to add 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum per cup of GF flour. Jon@KAF

3. fortheloveoffood

Will be making these today. Just one question? How can I work for King Arthur Flour while living in Michigan???

1. Sheri

Is it still called work if you just show up at KAF everyday, do stuff around the place and then leave 8 hours later and just ask for a bag of flour or some vanilla on your way out the door? Cuz I could do that.

We all work pretty hard here, but we love what we do. We’re a pretty lucky bunch! Laurie@KAF

4. Candy C.

I love the idea of the Bake Truck, what good work you guys do! Adding oatmeal to chocolate chip cookies is awesome!

It has been a big hit for us, Candy. I hope you have the chance to visit out truck in the coming year. Jon@KAF

5. SarahD

I confess that chocolate chip isn’t my favorite cookie–I go much more for exotics–but next time I’m called upon to bake chocolate chip for the chocolate chip loving masses, I’ll give this a try.

Get that food truck out Seattle way!

6. Kim

Congrats chocolate chip oatmeal cookies! Our family fave for years. I just love the story behind it! I always knew that cookie was special. 🙂

7. Jo

Love Chocolate chip and Oatmeal cookies too. Sounds like a wonderful combination. Would it be possible to use your Gluten Free flour? King Arthur GF product’s are great.

I would not recommend this, Jo. You might like to try this recipe for Gluten-free Oatmeal and Flax Cranberry Cookies. I’m pretty sure chocolate chips would be a good addition to this cookie. Barb@KAF

8. Sue C.

I cut out this recipe from a bag of your AP flour but have yet to make them………it makes soooo many, and there’s only my husband and me. Will just have to scout out an event here in the St. Pete, FL area where they’d be appreciated AND devoured…………or wait until we make our annual summer pilgrimage to New England and make them for the kids and grandkids!!

Or you could freeze the scooped dough, Sue, and bring out a few at a time when you have a hankering for something sweet. It’s always nice to have some frozen dough in the freezer. Barb@KAF

9. "John & Linda"

Can you substitute KA Self Rising flour and eliminate the baking soda and powder? Look’s like a Marvelous recipe!
    john

I would not recommend this, John & Linda, as the proportion of ingredients in the Self Rising flour will not match the recipe and will give you different results. Barb@KAF

10. alayner78

PJ,
    You rock! I LOVE reading your blog. I have learned SO much valuable information from you and this site! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

11. Carmen

Since there is just the two of us, do the unbaked cookies freeze well? I would freeze them individually on a sheet pan and then transfer them to a container. Probably bake them just a smidgen longer from the frozen state.

Yes, this method works great with most cookies, including these, Carmen. Freeze away! Barb@KAF

12. Tegan

My husband and I were introduced to this recipe when the Bake Truck was in our city and the cookies were incredible! He still says that was the best cookie he’s ever had, and they’re so popular I’ve made them three times since.
    What kind/brand of chocolate do you guys use in this recipe on the Bake Truck? I’d be interested in trying to replicate that cookie as closely as possible.

I’m pretty sure the bake truck uses the Barry Callebaut Semisweet Chocolate Chips in this cookie, Tegan. Barb@KAF

13. Kris Ness

I’ve been in love with you since I read “Anne of Green Gables”. Now I love you even more. This looks like the perfect cookie, so we are making them today for game day tomorrow.

Perfect cookie for game day or any day, Kris! Hope you like them as much as we do. Barb@KAF

14. Cher Bibler

I put coconut in them. Chocolate chip, oatmeal and coconut. Yum. All of my favorite things in one cookie. (It all started out cause I don’t like raisins in my oatmeal cookies….) I’ve just used the recipe on the oatmeal cookie box with my additions; I look forward to trying a different recipe. Thanks!

Let us know how you like this recipe, Cher. I approve of all your additions–YUM is right! Barb@KAF

15. Toni

One of my favorite cookies is Chocolate Chip Oatmeal but with this only being January, how can this already be the recipe of the year?

Hello Toni,

We determine our “Recipes of the Year” based on the previous year (2014). In this case, it was chosen as it was the #1 cookie for our “Cookies for Cancer” event, the “Bake Truck” and the “Bake for Good” effort that lasted through 2014 and into 2015. We hope you enjoy the recipe! Jon@KAF

16. Milli Illingworth

Recipe sounds great, as do all of your recipes. Could I substitute 1 cup of your white whole wheat and have the other cup of unbleached white flour, plus the oatmeal? What difference would this make in the taste?

I hear my grand kids and great grand kids say, “Oh Grandma Milli gets all of these good recipes from King Arthur Flour. Thanks SO much.

Milli

That flour substitution will work, but you may need to add a bit of milk or water at the end to adjust the consistency. Laurie@KAF

17. Karen

I have been baking these same cookies my whole adult life. Someone gave the recipe to my Mom when I was a child and we always did and still call them Cowboy Cookies.

18. Bobbye Hager

I baked hundreds of these this summer to add homemade goodness to lunches our church made for the summer lunch program. Adding raisins added more nutrition and goodness. And now I bake them just because we love them.

19. Kathy

Made two batches of these cookies. I used the recipe as written for one and then used a cup of coconut oil in place of the butter in the second batch. Family likes both batches-yummy! This is very similar to my oatmeal cookie recipe that I use with raisins.

20. Sara

Almost identical to the recipe my mom taught me 30 years ago. Exceptions being: no baking powder; 3/4C each brown sugar and white sugar; 2C of oats and 2C of tollhouse chocolate chips. As packed with chips as that turns out, I don’t think I’d be able to get the scoop into the dough with a third cup of chips in there. I, too, put the oats in ahead of the flour and let them sit about 15 mins for quick oats – possibly 30 mins for old-fashioned oats. This step is not critical for the quick oats, but helps greatly with the old-fashioned. It’s the only chocolate chip cookie I’ve ever made, and it gets rave reviews every time. I haven’t experimented with other choc chip cookie recipes because I’ve never found a cookie anyone else made that was close to this good.

Now if I can figure out how to make sandwich bread that’s good for something other than a doorstop – that’ll be the big hurdle!

Thanks for sharing your oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe, Sara! Great minds think a like. And check out our recent blog on Homemade Sandwich Bread for that doorstop problem. Barb@KAF

21. knogle

I made the cookies according to the recipe. Very tasty but they flattened out and were very thin. What might have caused this to happen?

1. Susan Reid

Sorry to hear that; how long did you let the batter sit? If you can make it a couple of hours in advance (and refrigerate, of course), the oats absorb some of the batter’s liquid, and the cookies will spread less. Susan

22. Robin Spath

Can’t wait to try this recipe! I am from New England (and normally frequent the cafe often when I am visiting my Dad in New Hampshire – he doesn’t live far from you guys!). However – I am currently living in Singapore. Find KA products from time to time – but wondering if you can tell me what stores here normally stock your products regularly? Especially flours? Also wondering if you distribute your frosting mixes here and if so where? The first week we arrived here – I made butter cream for my 3 year olds birthday cake – and watched the entire cake “melt” before my eyes. It is very HOT and HUMID here year round – we are close to the equator. I was thinking the frosting mix might hold up better in the heat/humidity here? Any thoughts?

1. Susan Reid

Robin,I’d email or chat with our customer service team about getting our products where you are (we don’t distribute in Asia, but shipping is possible if you’re determined). As for the cake and frosting, in a hot and humid situation I’d recommend this: keep the cake refrigerated until the last possible moment, (or freeze it before putting it out, and let it thaw as the party happens; the cake will “sweat” at first from condensation, but eventually even out and no harm comes from this). The only other strategy in that situation is to make up to half the frosting with shortening, which has a higher melting point and is more stable. The mix wouldn’t really behave differently. Susan

23. Debra

Made this cookie today for the first time with some help from the grandkids. They are 5 & 3 and were so much help. The cookies turned out great! Papa said these were the best choc chip cookie ever. Thanks KAF !!

24. kate

Problem: The finished cookie had a raw oatmeal taste. I baked them the full 15 minutes; used quick oats and followed directions to mix oats with flour before adding to butter/sugar.

Post by Sara indicates that she suggests adding oats first and letting it sit with butter sugar mixture for as long as 30 minutes. Will that get rid of raw oats taste.

Also thought chocolate chips too many. Added only 1 cup and that was more than enough for teaspoon size coolies.

Please advise how to get rid of raw oats taste.

After you make the cookies, scoop them and let the dough balls res in the fridge for at least an hour, allowing the oats to hydrate and lose that raw taste. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

You can bake them from frozen, and add a few minutes on to the bake time. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

25. "John & Linda"

Can you substitute raisins for choc chips in this recipe, or must there be other adjustments? I’m a big fan of both, and this is a super recipe!
    john & linda

26. Katherine S

Wonderful cookies. Made them for my sons – one of them can’t eat chocolate, so I put golden raisins in 1/2 of the cookies, and those were also delicious.

1. Susan Reid

If a cookie recipe contains whole grains, the extra rest in the refrigerator gives the bran in the whole grain flour more time to absorb the liquid in the recipe. This softens the sharp edges of the bran, and gives you a cookie dough that spreads less, behaving more like a white flour recipe. Susan

27. "John & Linda"

Why do some of your choc. chip cookie recipes require refrigeration before baking, and not others?
    Your responses to these inquiries are always very helpful!
    Thank you!
    John & Linda

John & Linda, we are glad to hear that you appreciate our advice from the Baker’s Hotline! Some of our cookie recipes call for chilling the dough before baking so that they do not spread as much while baking. Certain properties in dough (more sugar) can cause the cookies to spread more while in the oven, so we try to offset this by allowing the dough to set up in the fridge before baking. Even if a recipe does not call for chilling, it usually doesn’t hurt a cookie recipe to chill it for a bit before baking. Give it a try and see if you prefer the results. Good luck and happy baking! –Kye@KAF

28. Bobbi Jo

I finally made the delicious 2015 cookie of the year chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe. I did substitutions for health reasons. 2 cups of King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 cups of King Arthur Sprouted Whole Wheat flour and 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal. I wasn’t sure what to add for more liquid, so subtracted from the flour instead. I also substituted 1 cup of light brown sugar with 1 cup of coconut sugar. They came out crunchy, opposite of what I’ve seem in the pictures. Still delicious though and not as sweet. I have substituted King Arthur’s Sprouted Whole Wheat flour in muffin recipes. For one cup of sprouted whole wheat flour I found adding a half of cup more of the liquid versus just a Tablespoon as I’ve read to do. The muffins raised more with the additional liquid and are moist. It’s wonderful to be able to have muffins again.

29. Cheryl Nelson

I have been baking this version of cookies for a couple of years, except the recipe calls for Peanut Butter too. I love everything about King Flour, so I will try this recipe too. I got the other one from Martha Stewart. The best Brownies recipe by far is your Holiday Bites recipe. I sell those by the pan full.

I love you guys…and please know, I love the work you do. I just wish you could teach classic here in Atlanta. I am taking up a new hobby….candy.

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Kathy. We have an altitude chart here online to help you with adjusting the leavening (it will decrease at your height). Also, try using extra large instead of large eggs, and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the dough. Looks like you’ll be using 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder for every teaspoon the recipe calls for. Susan

30. Tomasso Gustavo

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a modification of this recipe using steel cut (Irish) oats, either regular or quick cook? I have always liked the flavor and chewiness of steel cut oats.

1. Susan Reid

There’s no reason you couldn’t use steel cut, substituted equally by weight, but I’d recommend the quick-cooking version, as well as some chill time in the refrigerator to let them absorb some of the dough’s liquid. Chewy is fine, but hard….not so much! Susan

31. Tom pounds

This replaces our previous favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (also from King Arthur). They quickly disappear at potlucks and get-togethers. Every time I get asked for the recipe and I then direct them to your website. By the way, sometimes I add some almond extract with the vanilla because our family loves this combination. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!!

Tom, we’re so glad that this recipe was a hit with all the cookie-eaters in your life. The almond addition is a great suggestion and an easy way to add a more complex depth of flavor to these seemingly simple cookies. Happy cookie baking to you! –Kye@KAF

32. SAMCat12

The texture and flavor were great – but i have to say, this is more like chocolate chip cookie than an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips – barely any oatmeal taste – I’m going to look to see if you have an Oatmeal cookie recipe that I can toss some chocolate chips in!

33. Joan

For those of you who like the flavor of orange with your chocolate, a smidgen of Fiori di Sicilia in chocolate chip cookie dough raises it to gourmet status, just like that. 😉

34. Laurie

I just made these with white spelt and a generous bit of ginger. Also added a couple of drops of almond extract. Definitely a new favorite ’round here. Thanks KAF!

35. Roberta J Tsochandaris

For years I had used King Arthur Flour. Then I had health issues necessitating the news for gluten-free flour. At that time there wasn’t a factory for King Arthur gluten- free flour. I tried all kinds of flour, from mixing my own to buying prepared flour. I had so many problems. Then I heard that a factory was being built for King Arthur gluten-free flour. After waiting patiently, I was thrilled when I bought my first box of gluten-free flour. Everything I made came out great. It not only cooked or baked to my own recipes, but it tasted terrific. Thank you so much for building a gluten-free facility. Your mixes are fantastic!

We are so happy that our gluten free products have made your life happier!! Keep baking!! JoAnn@KAF