Making a recipe gluten-free: it's more than just changing the flour.

“Can I make this recipe gluten-free by substituting gluten-free flour?”

That’s a question we field quite often here at King Arthur Flour. Yes, counterintuitive though it seems, America’s oldest flour company is happy to advise you on how NOT to use our classic wheat flours.

And why is that? Because our true mission, one we’ve pursued for decades – nay, centuries – is to share the pure joy of baking. And that means taking flour and water, butter and eggs, sugar and yeast and milk, and making something wonderful for those you care most about: friends, family, and colleagues. Plus, lately, the guy who plows your driveway.

So you’re following a gluten-free diet? We’ve got you covered. Our gluten-free flour is your new BFF in the kitchen.

But it can’t do the job all on its own. It usually needs some help from a couple of other ingredients: one a staple, one that may be new to you.

CakePanCake

Let’s see how these two key ingredients can help turn our original Cake-Pan Cake into a gluten-free treat.

Here are the ingredients in our original recipe:

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup (8 ounces) cold water (original recipe), coffee (next inspiration), milk (later inspiration), or 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup rum (latest inspiration)

And here’s the ingredient list for our gluten-free cake. See the difference?

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup natural or Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (4 ounces) cold water (original recipe), coffee (next inspiration), milk (later inspiration), or 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup rum (latest inspiration)

Gluten provides the structure in standard baked goods. Without it, your cookies will crumble, your cake collapse, and your bread – well, let’s just say calling it a “doorstop” does a disservice to doorstops everywhere.

So when baking gluten-free, we need something to provide the structure that gluten-free flour isn’t able to offer. And that usually means two key ingredients: xanthan gum, a thickener/emulsifier/stabilizer; and eggs, whose protein steps in for the protein in wheat flour.

Let me do an experiment here, to show you what happens when you add eggs and xanthan gum to this recipe, vs. simply substituting gluten-free flour for all-purpose flour.

GF1

Here’s the recipe made with GF flour, xanthan gum, and 2 large eggs, which I sub for 1/2 cup of the water.

I whisk together the dry ingredients; whisk together the liquids; then pour liquid into dry, and stir to combine, making a typical-looking cake batter: thick and glossy.

IMG_0412

And here’s the result when I follow my original Cake-Pan Cake recipe, substituting GF flour for all-purpose flour, but making no other changes. The batter is watery and thin.

Let’s bake these two cakes side by side, and see what happens.

IMG_0419

That’s the eggs/xanthan gum cake on the left; the recipe subbing only GF flour on the right. Not only are they very different colors…

DSC_7782

…it’s clear the GF cake without eggs and xanthan gum simply couldn’t raise itself to a suitably cake-like level.

Its flavor is decent, but texture? Hard/stiff around the edges, dense/moist inside. And hey, what’s with that peculiar dark, soggy top, which magically formed as the cake baked?

This is why we use both eggs and xanthan gum in cake recipes, as well as in many other gluten-free recipes. Baked goods need structure and strength to rise; eggs and xanthan do great things for structure.

Now, this isn’t to say you HAVE to use eggs and xanthan gum in all of your gluten-free recipes. The drier the dough (think cookies), the lower the rise (think pie crust), the less structure you need.

But if you’re going to convert cake, muffin, scone, and quick bread recipes, take my advice: use xanthan gum (about 3/8 to 3/4 teaspoon per cup of gluten-free flour should do it); and add or substitute eggs for some of the liquid.

That way, you can take your favorite cake recipe and make it gluten-free…

DSC_7784

…without anyone being the wiser!

DSC_7793

Enjoy!

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Cake-Pan Cake; or, if you’re not baking gluten-free, for King Arthur Flour’s Original Cake Pan Cake.

Print the gluten-free recipe, or the original recipe

So, going forward, you want to know how many eggs to substitute for how much liquid in what kinds of recipes, right? Sorry, there’s no hard and fast rule; I’m learning as I go, just as you are.

Here’s what I’ve figured out so far, though – if I’m working with a wet/pourable batter (think muffins or cake), I usually substitute eggs for half the liquid, by weight. For a drier batter/dough (scones or cookies), I might simply add an egg, without substituting it for another ingredient. Keep in mind, concerning both xanthan gum and eggs, the more liquid the batter, the more structural help it needs.

comments

1. Cheryl T.

So excited to see this converted recipe! I totally getting subbing in eggs for some of liquid however, the GF list for the liquid portion is a bit confusing. If the two eggs are replacing 1/2 cup of liquid, then shouldn’t ALL the liquid variations be adjusted, i.e. The water + rum option? Or does the alcohol make a difference? Thanks so much for making going GF easier!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Cheryl, you want to end up with about 8 ounces liquid total; the 1/2 cup water + 2 large eggs is about 7 3/4 ounces to 7 7/8 ounces, which is close enough. So if you’re adding rum, use 2 ounces rum, 2 ounces water, and 2 large eggs. Ditto coffee – 4 ounces coffee, 2 large eggs. See how it works? Give the recipe a try, I’m sure you’ll like it. PJH

2. Cheryl T.

Thanks! The GF recipe listed 3/4 cup water + 1/4 cup rum option was just sounding like too much WITH the two eggs since there was only 1/2 cup total of the other liquids with the eggs. Just wanted to make sure I didn’t mess it up. Can’t wait to try it!!

2. JuliaJ

The amount of xanthan gum is very little so I can see accidentally adding too much. What happens if there’s a wee bit too much xanthan gum? Does the cake get “bouncy”/chewy?
    Just curious about how much leeway there is in the amount to add. Thanks!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Julia, I’d try to be accurate, but an extra 1/8 teaspoon more or less, in my experience, doesn’t create problems. Are you baking gluten-free, BTW? I still remember the persimmons you sent us… 🙂 PJH

3. isabel

Thanks for delicious gluten free mixes and recipes. I used your flours for years before having to go gluten free. Thanks for helping me continue to bake breads and wonderful treats for myself, freinds, and family. I always get compliments when I make cake/cupcakes using your chocolate cake mix. No one believes it’s gluten free.

4. notcreative

We’ve been baking gluten free for several months, and I can attest to the ease and yumminess of using KAF’s recipes and AP GF flour. Staples here are the Sandwich Bread and Pumpkin Cake Donuts. We love them. Brownies also turn up frequently. Another plus — great shelf life for the brownies – still moist and fresh at 6-7 days out (only 2 of us, and we TRY to be good!) – but keep the pan covered with plastic wrap.

5. Susan Taylor

Hey PJ, Just wondering why doesn’t KAF have the xanthan gum in the gf flour? Then it wouldn’t be an extra step.

There are some folks that can not tolerate xanthan gum, so we decided to leave it out so that everyone can choose the gum that works best for them! Jon@KAF

6. Steven

Hi PJ,

Thank you for the excellent information. However, I’m on the opposite side of this equation: I don’t eat gluten-free, and I often see recipes for gluten-free baked goods that I would like to make with regular flour. Is there a formula for that? For example, in this recipe for gluten-free yellow cake on this site, would you just delete the xanthan and exchange 2 of the eggs for an equal volume of liquid? Thanks.

3 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon xanthan gum
    2 tablespoons gluten-free King Arthur Cake Enhancer, optional
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    12 tablespoons soft butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract
    4 large eggs
    1 cup milk, at room temperature

We haven’t gone that route yet so you can experiment if you’d like, but there are certainly plenty of existing P.G.F (Pre-Gluten Free) recipes out there! Just search for Yellow Cake on our website and you’ll have some fresh ideas. Happy baking! Laurie@KAf

We’ve had good results with 1 Tablespoon of flax meal and 3 Tablespoons of water per egg. However, we don’t recommend this one for gluten free chocolate items. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

7. Linda F

Thanks so much for this helpful article. I have tried just Substituting GF flour in recipes & when it comes to baking I am all too familiar with the photo differences! What an eye opener! Have been told GF banana bread recipe with coconut flour (I made it) was to die for from my gluten free friends! Your chocolate cake mix became a birthday cake. Lucky to last 24 hours. Wonderfull! will look at this carefully before I try Zucchini bread again.

8. alice

I love the recipe conversions, thank you. I my only problem is that I cannot use your GF mix because it contains tapioca starch (migraines/allergy). My homemade recipes use potato starch as a substitute and it is great.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

I’ve never baked with raw cacao powder, Beth, so no guarantees; and it’ll have a different pH than Dutch-process cocoa, but I suspect it’ll still work OK. PJH

Raw cacao powder is cocoa powder that has not been roasted. However, Dutch processed cocoa is also treated with alkali. Cocoas with alkali need an acid (baking soda or powder) to correctly react. IF your recipe calls for DUTCH processed cocoa and you are substituting for natural, make sure to adjust your leavening. Give the hotline a call at 1-855-371-2253 and we can help you out. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

9. Susan Moseley

I found these changes very helpful to see. I prefer to use nut flours instead of traditional gluten free flours. What would I have to do to make a good pumpkin bread with almond or hazelnut flour? Using a cup of pumpkin causes the loaf not not cook evenly, but I can’t see making a pumpkin bread with only a quarter cup of pumpkin. I’ve tried many recipes on the internet and haven’t had a great one yet. I’m not a great baker but I do love a great pumpkin bread.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Susan, I’m not a good enough GF baker to advise on a pumpkin recipe with a full cup of purée, plus using nut flour instead of GF flour. However, we have some REALLY good GF pumpkin recipes on our site – perhaps one of these will tickle your fancy? PJH

10. Christina H

Thank you for this wonderful post. If you are using a recipe that already calls for an egg (i.e. a one-egg cake), do you then add two additional eggs or one? Also, what about attacking a recipe that calls for cake flour. My mother used to use a one cup – 1 tablespoon of regular flour to one cup of cake flour. When using your gluten free flour, does this conversion still hold or are these items to delicate to even attempt?

I have celiac disease, and boy do I miss really good baked goods. Thank you again.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Christina, I’d simply add one more egg to your one-egg cake; and substitute the GF flour 1:1 for cake flour, plus add xanthan gum. Good luck! PJH

11. Edith Pietkiewicz

Thank you PJ for explaining the role of xanthan gum in gluten free baking. I’ve been very perplexed about that ingredient for a long time but your blog answered all my questions. I can’t wait to try baking gluten free products now (out of curiosity).

BTW I’m a big fan of yours :-]]

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Edith, best of luck with your GF baking exploration! I wish I had more time to do more experimenting; maybe one of these days they’ll come up with 30-hour days, eh? Thank you so much for your kind words, too – 🙂 PJH

12. Karen T

Hi PJ – Thanks for the great post. I’ve spent the past several years learning how to convert my favorite recipes to GF and it’s good to have you clearly define the diffrences between traditional and GF baking.

One trick that I learned with carrot cake (probably applicable to all cakes), is, instead of adding extra water/milk (liquid), add yogurt (1/2 cup for carrot cake). I am also dairy-free, so I use coconut yogurt, and the cake turns out really moist and fluffy.

Thanks again for the great post – I’m so glad KAF is helping those of us having to convert all our favorite recipes to GF!

13. JC B.

About a year ago, after consuming a large cheese pizza, my husband developed an allergic reaction,
    with the itching, redness, hives, and culminating in fainting face down. After a trip to the emergency room and some food allergy testing, he is ALLERGIC to wheat and dairy. Most people today have an INTOLERANCE to wheat which they say is an allergy, but not really. So I am now having to bake gluten free. And it’s limiting that’s for sure. He can tolerate some dairy when “cooked”……and I, too, was wondering about the substitution issue. Especially in my summer fruit tarts, and upside down cakes !!! Have you tried to develop a recipe for a tart crust and upside down cakes. I do have your GF cookbook and others. Thnx for the work on this particularly vexing problem I now have at the age of 70 !!!! And all my years of developing a repertoire of perfect tart crusts !!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Hi – I’d think you could make a dairy-free tart crust using vegetable oil margarine or shortening, yes? And any vegan cake recipe could be used for an upside-down cake, again using margarine as the fat in the topping. In fact, try our Vegan Clementine Cupcakes, without the chopped fruit, for an upside-down cake – I think it would work just fine. PJH

14. Sharon Wooden

Thank you so much for all the useful information on GF baking! I will certainly be putting this information to good use right away! I have been waiting for a good explanation for substitutions in GF baking since I discovered the reason I didn’t feel good was gluten. I thought I would have to give up all my old recipes that I love so much!! Thanks again!! skw

15. Lavada Lapolla

I have been very surprised to find consistently that packets of yeast contain less yeast than they are suppose to. That is why I have gone to buying bulk yeast in a jar to measure from. The incorrectly filled yeast packets sabotage our recipes from the start. I was beginning to get a complex!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Lavada, it does seem there’s less yeast in a packet now; I used to think it was a tablespoon, but it’s about 2 1/4 teaspoons, near as I can see. They’re accurate by weight, though, so I don’t think you can say they’re “incorrect.” Glad you’ve gone to bulk – that’s what we use here. PJH

16. Alana

Love KAF and enjoy seeing all the new GF recipes. My daughter in law bakes professionally and uses KAF almost exclusively.. I do have a question on bread baking: last time I made bread, I used the GF recipe but it still didn’t rise like the pictures :~). Am I not baking it long enough or what? Thanks

Alana, you may want to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253 for more help with your gluten-free bread. Barb@KAF

17. Carole

Hello PJ ~
    Thanks for this Gluten Free information.
    I didn’t know that King Arthur Flour also has a G F flour.
    Is it available at local stores ~ or is it an on-line order?
    My son picked up some Namestae (spelling, ?) at a store where he shops; I’ve never
    seen yours’ ~ even at Trader Joes’.
    Up until now, some of my recipes have been trial and error experiences.

Yes, the flour is available in many local stores Carole. Take a look on our site for a store nearest you. Or we would be happy to assist you over the phone and can be reached by calling 1-800-827-6836. Enjoy! Elisabeth@KAF

18. Jennifer

I’ve been converting regular cake recipes for several years now with fabulous success, and I love KAF gluten free four. Definitely the best on the market. I’ve had luck substituting 1:1, adding xanthan gum, and increasing the baking soda/powder. I determine the quantity of xanthan gum by thinking about how firmly I want the baked good to hold, so if I want a cake or muffins to rise a lot, too much xanthan gum can have the effect of holding them in place and not letting them rise. But with a crisp cookie, I add a higher ratio of xanthan gum because I don’t care about rising, just holding. Crepes do well with more, pancakes a little less. I think of it as adding a little glue to the recipe. For the baking soda/powder, I use about 1.5 the amount in the recipe when baking a “high rising” item, like cake or muffins. With cookies, I don’t bother to increase it. With more casual/flexible recipes, like muffins or zucchini bread, I often add buttermilk instead of regular milk or water, and sometimes sneak in some cream cheese for moisture and depth. I’m curious about adding eggs, though, and will try it. I’ve been afraid of changing the flavor, especially with a more delicate cake, like lemon (one of my favorites!). I also love the new KAF gluten-free baking mix, and that has the xanthan gum in it already, for those of you who are looking for that.

Most cake recipes translate well in cupcakes. Adjust the baking time to 18-22 minutes, but still test as usual for doneness- sight, touch and temperature. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

1. MaryJane Robbins

Sorry to hear that Sharon. You may want drop our hotline an email, or check out our GF blogger Alyssa’s posts over on simplyquinoa.com for advice. ~ MJ

19. Cynthia Read

I have the cake cooking right now, and I was wondering about using the method of substituting eggs in other recipes, but I realise that most other recipes for example fruit cakes, Victoria sponge cakes do not have water in the ‘normal’ recipe, in fact I don’t think I have ever made a cake with water in it before.

Could you offer any advice please?

many thanks,

Cynthia

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Cynthia, the liquid in cakes is usually milk or buttermilk; and you’d substitute an egg or eggs for part of that. Sorry, I should have been more clear. If the liquid in a cake is purely eggs, then simply add another egg, without substituting. As for fruitcake, which is SO thick with add-ins (and thus very light on actual cake batter), I don’t believe you’d even need to add an egg. In fact, you might just want to try our gluten-free fruitcake recipe. Good luck – PJH

20. Joanie S

I have been cooking for people for a long time, but now, since I can’t have wheat, I got some baking mixes that are gluten free, must I still add xanthan gum to the mixes?. Thank you

1. PJ Hamel , post author

I wouldn’t think you’d have to add xanthan, if it’s a mix; everything should be included. But do read the ingredient label; if it doesn’t list xanthan or some other kind of gum, then yes, you probably should add some. Good luck – PJH

21. Kris

thank you so much for posting this recipe! my family has been GF for 2 years because our daughter has celiac, and we use King Arthur mixes and flour all the time. It is SO nice to be able to bake cakes and cookies that taste normal! THANK YOU!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

You’re welcome, Kris – we’re so glad we can help your daughter (and entire family) enjoy your home baking! PJH

22. Sandy Rea

I can’t find any baking instructions for the gluten-free cake, just ingredients. What temperature? How long? Thanks!

23. susan

I’m curious. Why do you let the batter sit in the pan for 15 minutes before baking for the GF version, but not for the original cake? Does it have to do with the xanthum gum? (I am writing this as my batter sits on the counter. :-))

The resting time allows the starches and xanthan gum to fully hydrate, as many gluten-free flours take more time to absorb the liquid in a recipe than wheat flour. The rest will improve the final texture and give you a baked good that is tender but not crumbly. Happy baking! –Kye@KAF

24. Dvorah

Great recipe. Looks very easy. Can I use raw cacao. Or unsweeten Cocoa no Dutch ? Or will make a difference in the raising of the cake ?

25. Rachinsamo

Where’s the vinegar? Did I miss something? I’ve made the old recipe a million times and am excited to try again as a GF eater…but what about the vinegar

Some of the starches in the gluten-free flour (tapioca, etc.) are slightly more alkaline than regular wheat flour. This offsets the baking soda making the vinegar not necessary in this version of the recipe. However, feel free to go ahead and add it to this recipe if you like. It might make the cake rise a bit higher and add a tangy (but pleasant) taste. Good luck and happy baking! Kye@KAF

26. member-darstetten1

I’ve been wondering how to convert some family recipes and this gives me a great starting point. Thanks. All the GF KA recipes I’ve tried have been wonderful and most of my non-GF friends can’t tell the difference. Tee Hee and LOL

27. cstegallmft@earthlink.net

I understand about replacing liquid with eggs when using an original recipe using regular all purpose flour, my questions is: if the original recipe already have eggs as an ingredient do i add more eggs reducing the liquid amount or i don’t have to add additional eggs?

You would still want to add an additional egg, as this will help replace the structure you lose when you remove the all-purpose flour. Barb@KAF

28. Val E.

I have a sour cream banana bread recipe I would like to convert to GF. It already contains 2 eggs. Would I increase that to 4 with the xanthan gum to make it gluten free? Thanks for all the great advice.

Hi Val,
      We actually have an exciting new product called Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour. You can use it to replace the all-purpose flour in your favorite recipes (aside from yeast bread) without making any other changes. It will work perfectly to convert your sour cream banana bread to gluten-free and will likely be a much easier transition than trying to tweak the recipe with xanthan gum and additional eggs. We hope you give our Measure for Measure a try and like the results. Happy gluten-free baking! Kye@KAF

29. Maria

Hi. I just read every post here and just realized they are almost all from last year. As per the last post here, should I disregard all the directions here and just purchase the gluten free measure for measure flour. No need to add more eggs? Just wanted to make sure because it sounds to good to be true. Thank you. 😊

It’s true, Maria! Measure for Measure is our newest addition to our Gluten-Free line and has been specifically formulated to replace the All-Purpose Flour in many of your favorite recipes for cookies, cakes, brownies, pancakes, and other non-yeasted treats. We want you to have choices when baking, so we do still also offer our Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, which doesn’t have xanthan gum, salt, or a leavening agent already added to it as ingredients. This grants you, the baker, more control over the fine details in your recipe, which some prefer. We also still recommend using our Gluten-Free Multipurpose Flour in recipes that are specifically written for it otherwise designed to be gluten-free. Hope this helps to clarify and inspire confidence enough to give Measure for Measure a try! Mollie@KAF

30. Rene

This is a recipe that my mother has been making for years and I’ve tried to make this normally moist cake gluten free but it always comes out very dry and crumbly. As it already has two eggs in it, do I add another egg as well as xantham gum or what do I do to make one of my favorite cakes gluten free?

Chocolate Chip Date Cake

2/3 cup vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs

Directions
    1 In large bowl, pour boiling water on dates. Stir in 1 teaspoon baking soda. Cool about 15 minutes or until lukewarm.
    2 In small bowl, mix all topping ingredients; set aside.
    3 Heat oven to 350°F. Stir all cake ingredients into date mixture. Pour into ungreased 9-inch square pan. Sprinkle with topping.
    4 Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

Rene, we’ve got exciting news! Since this time of this post, we’ve come out with a new gluten-free flour blend called Measure for Measure. It already has the xanthan gum mixed right in, and it’s specifically developed to replace the all-purpose flour in non-yeast recipes (including cake). Give this Chocolate Chip Date Cake a try using Measure for Measure instead of the all-purpose flour. Happy gluten-free baking! Kye@KAF

31. Sharon N

Great post. Thanks so much for sharing all these great recipes. I found your site just yesterday. Lots of exploring to do.

Hi Enid, wow, what a recipe! Since the time this blog was published, we’ve actually come out with a new product called Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour. It’s really quite amazing because all you have to do is use it to replace the all-purpose flour in your recipe. No other changes need to be made—you can keep the amount of eggs the same. Happy GF baking! Kye@KAF

32. Cynthia Frank

Can you please tell me how to substitute gluten free flour for “cake flour” in a COOKIE recipe? Thank-you!

Hi Cynthia, we have actually developed a gluten-free flour since the publishing of this article that will make your gluten-free baking so much easier! You can use our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour to replace the wheat flour (all-purpose, cake, etc.) in almost any recipe, including your cookie recipe. The only situations that need a bit more love and attention are yeast recipes. For those, stick with a designed-to-be-gluten-free recipe. Happy GF baking! Kye@KAF

33. Diane

Am trying to convert my zucchini recipe gluten free. It already has 3 eggs, so I am assuming all I need to do is add the xanthan gum?

Hi Diane, since the time this article was written, we’ve actually come out with a new product called Measure for Measure Flour. It’s a fantastic gluten-free flour that can replace the regular flour in almost all recipes. (Stick with designed-to-be-gluten-free recipes when you’re baking with yeast, otherwise you can reach for Measure for Measure.) You can use your zucchini recipe and simply use this flour instead; no other changes are made. Happy GF baking! Kye@KAF