S’more Pie: out of the (camp)fire, into the pan.

S’more pie. This graham cracker/chocolate/marshmallow concoction has been on my to-do list for a long, long time.

I mean, who didn’t love s’mores as a kid? How well I remember Girl Scout campouts, struggling to put up those heavy canvas tents. Dunking our dinner dishes in boiling water, using draw-string bags we’d sewn together from dish towels (ladies, do you remember those?)

Singing songs around the campfire. Make new friends, but keep the old… Giggling in our sleeping bags LONG after the leaders had dropped off.

Speaking of campfires, the high point of each overnight was indisputably s’mores: graham crackers sandwiched around a Hershey bar and toasted marshmallows. First we’d toast the marshmallows, squealing as they inevitably caught fire. Then, quickly, we’d stuff those charred marshmallows into our chocolate/graham cracker sandwich.

That first big bite – barely softened chocolate, crisp cracker, smoky, oozing marshmallow – was heavenly. As was the second. And third.

We’d try to sneak another serving, but were usually limited to just one – the adults back then being not nearly as indulgent with kids as we are now. And maybe (aside from their marvelous taste) that’s what helped make s’mores special: their very limited availability – one campout, one s’more.

But back to this pie. It should have been easy: graham cracker crust, chocolate filling, marshmallow topping.

And the crust WAS easy, as was the filling. But that marshmallow topping… oh, my. Suffice it to say I made it four times for three pies, and by the end I was ready to turn in my big-girl apron and go back to home ec. for a tuneup.

Don’t be discouraged, though; I finally hit on the right recipe. And, if you’re daunted by the prospect of homemade marshmallow, well, that’s what Fluff or marshmallow cream in a jar are for, right?

Attention, Girl Scouts of yore and everyone who’s ever enjoyed one of these campfire treats: want to make S’more Pie? Here’s how.

DSC_7988

First comes the graham cracker crust. Do you have your own favorite recipe? Use it. Want to buy a pre-made crust? No prob.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Here’s the crust I used:

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons melted butter

Combine the crumbs, sugar, and salt. Add enough melted butter to “dampen” the crumbs without making them at all wet, greasy looking, or sticky. I discovered (in the course of making my three pies) that graham crackers vary quite a bit by brand; the national brand I used required less butter than the store brand.

Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan.

Bake the crust for about 10 minutes, until it’s barely, BARELY beginning to brown in scattered spots along the edge. Remove the crust from the oven, and set it aside. Turn off the oven; you won’t need it anymore.

Here are the ingredients for the easy, no-cook filling:

1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon espresso powder, optional; for enhanced chocolate flavor
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

smore1

Place the chocolate chips, salt, sugar, and espresso powder in a blender or food processor and pulse until the chips are pretty much ground up; some larger chunks are OK.

Add the egg, and process to make a damp, sticky mass.

Heat the cream to just below a boil, with small bubbles forming around the edge of the saucepan (or microwave-safe bowl).

Turn on the blender or processor, and slowly add the cream, processing until the mixture is smooth. Scrape down the sides of the container if necessary. Add the vanilla and pulse to blend.

IMG_0584

Pour the filling into the crust; it’ll come about halfway to two-thirds up. Set the pie aside while you make the topping.

OWOOOOOOO – that marshmallow topping…

Here are the ingredients: gelatin, water, sugar, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla.

And here’s the process: dissolve gelatin in water. Boil water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Pour over dissolved gelatin. Whip until thick and fluffy.

Basic homemade marshmallows. So why was it so difficult?

Because I couldn’t quite nail the amount of gelatin.

I used 1 1/2 teaspoons gelatin in the first batch of topping. It whipped up like a dream: thick, creamy, a white cloud of marshmallow-y yumminess.

I spooned it onto the pie; put the pie in the fridge, waited for the marshmallow and filling to set.

Four hours later, I took the pie out of the fridge, and cut myself a piece.

Put the piece on a plate, picked up my fork, and cut a bite.

NOT. The topping, rubbery as a sponge, sprang back despite my fork’s most assertive efforts.

BOING. I mean, you could have bounced a nickel off the top of this pie.

Attempt #2. Reduce the gelatin to 1 teaspoon.

Ah, beautiful. Lovely, white, vanilla-scented… syrup.

The marshmallow never expanded in size. And when I applied it to the pie, it puddled rather than mounded.

Exceedingly underwhelming. To say nothing of sticky. VERY sticky.

But, here’s the silver (white) lining:

DSC_8047

Attempt #2 made AWESOME tasting marshmallow cream, a.k.a. “creme,” a.k.a. Fluff. There’s a jar in my fridge right now, from which I take surreptitious little tastes regularly throughout the day. It also makes beautiful music with my morning cup of hot cocoa.

So, third time never fails, right? Let’s split the difference with that bothersome gelatin.

1 1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cool water, divided
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

smore3

Combine the gelatin and 1/4 cup cool water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.

Combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt, and 1/4 cup cool water in a small, deep saucepan. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves.

Raise the heat to high and cook, without stirring, until the syrup reaches 240°F on a candy or digital thermometer. From the time the mixture comes to a boil, this will take about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the softened gelatin. Turn the mixer to high, and whip the mixture until it’s thickened and has turned bright white. It won’t form peaks, but will mound up when you lift up the whisk attachment or beaters, then slowly smooth out. This will take 3 to 10 minutes (depending on the mixer and attachment you use; a stand mixer using the whisk attachment will work more quickly than a hand mixer equipped with beaters).

Add the vanilla towards the end of the mixing time.

IMG_0618

Scoop the marshmallow atop the chocolate, quickly spreading it out as evenly as possible over the surface of the pie. It should be soft enough that you can do this.

If desired, for that toasted marshmallow flavor, run the pie under a hot broiler to brown the surface; this should take less than 60 seconds, so watch it carefully.

Let the pie cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then refrigerate it until it’s completely chilled, at least 3 hours; overnight is fine. Cover it with plastic wrap that doesn’t touch its surface; a plastic shower cap or bowl cover are good choices here.

IMG_0608

The filling is stiffer than store-bought marshmallow cream, but soft enough to cut.

In the end, despite how long it took me to get there, this homemade marshmallow topping is truly delicious. The vanilla adds flavor that’s just not present in store-bought marshmallow cream.

Still, if you’re feeling uneasy about this whole process, don’t let that stop you from making the pie: there’s no shame in using store-bought Fluff or marshmallow cream for your first attempt.

Though I do recommend the homemade topping next time you make this pie…

DSC_8019

…which I know will be very soon!

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for S’more Pie.

Print just the recipe.

comments

1. cwcdesign

Thanks PJ, you’ve just given me something I can actually make for Pi Day after work since I can sub in Fluff. How much of a jar of Fluff would you use?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Enough to cover the pie – just eyeballing it, I’d say probably the whole jar (glass jar), or part of the larger plastic tub. Sorry I can’t be more specific – but feel free to pile it on to whatever depth you like! 🙂 PJH

2. cwcdesign

Hi PJ. I bought the Fluff but had to drop it on the pie. It was pretty stiff stuff so I think I don’t have as thick a layer as you do. My chocolate layer also hadn’t set up enough (I think) when I put the Fluff on. Anyway, stuck it under the broiler and I’m letting it cool a bit before I put it in the fridge. For someone who wasn’t going to make a Pie today, it worked out just fine and I think it will be delicious considering how good all the components taste. Thanks again!

3. MaryJane Robbins

Glad you had fun with this one, and made it your own with what you had. So, is 3.14% of it gone now? 😉 ~ MJ

2. Jenny

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’ve been wanting to try making fluff, but one of my children has an egg allergy. I’m so excited to try this!

3. Kathy Thomas

Love the look of the s’mores pie but im afraid of the uncooked egg. I’m old school I always am afraid of salmonella poisoning.you all are such a great help to me , I’m sending a big shout out for all of the folks at King Arthur.
    Kathy Thomas

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Kathy, use a pasteurized egg if you’re worried about the standard eggs you buy. No need to skip the pie for want of an egg! Thanks for your kind words – PJH

4. Aldean Kilbourn

This is great made in a 9×13 pan with a cover to take to a potluck. It cuts into small squares and everyone was like, “wow, this is good!”

5. barbra

What a great idea! This afternoon my grandchildren and I are making sort of a combination of this and the marshmallow squares with chocolate topping which they loved last week. We will make a single recipe of brownies in a 9×13 pan so they will be thin, then top with the marshmallow recipe from the squares. Will add the idea of more chocolate from the S’mores recipe between the layers. Hope it is close to how good it sounds!

6. Laila

OMG… the best fluff ever…so easy when you have a candy thermometer…Here is an update… The fridge worked. I think the pie should be refrigerated after pouring the chocolate filling.. it did not set on the counter..I am so glad I did not use a jarred fluff, this topping has a beautiful consistency and absolutely gorgeous… I am planning to torch the topping before serving. Happy Pi day..

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for the update Laila, I didn’t even get a chance to review and post your earlier comment. I’m glad you put the pie in the fridge and shared your tips. ~ MJ

7. Genevieve

can you propose a good substitute for the corn syrup, do you think cane syrup or agave syrup might do the trick?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Genevieve, I can’t say for certain whether either of those would work, not having tested them. But after doing a little research, it appears to me, from online marshmallow recipes using it, that agave would probably be a good substitute. Good luck – PJH

8. Jen

Oh my, I need to go buy the ingredients for this! One question… We don’t use corn syrup, can I use maple syrup instead?

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Jen,
      While that does work quite often in baking, for sugar-work like marshmallows, it may not work out well. I would say check online for a corn syrup free fluff recipe, just to ensure you have the correct measures to get a nice topping. ~ MJ

2. cassandraoftroy

I know I’m responding a little late for Pi Day, but I’ve successfully used honey and molasses in place of corn syrup to make marshmallows before (gingerbread marshmallows; they were a big hit!), so I’d be surprised if maple didn’t work. Admittedly the marshmallow fluff in this recipe is a softer consistency than solid marshmallows, but I think it’s worth a try.

3. PJ Hamel , post author

Wow, both gingerbread and maple marshmallows sound super-duper – thanks for the inspiration, Cassandra! PJH

9. Eyv

In Maine, peanut butter marshmallow fluff sandwiches is a favorite of kids and adults alike. Now I want to adapt this recipe to a peanut butter marshmallow fluff pie for my husband and my granddaughter!
    Thanks!!!

10. Greg Iverson

This fad of creative writing to convey a recipe is driving me bat****. This a a great recipe. I could have done without the cutisie dialog and especially the first marshmallow fail . Thanks , Greg

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Thanks for your feedback, Greg. We have many readers who enjoy the personal touch in our blog, so we continue to offer it; but to avoid the “cutesie,” just skip straight to the recipe via the link at the top. Have a good day – PJH

2. VALERIE

Thanks for telling how you get to the final recipe PJ. I find it very helpful, not cutsie.

3. Trish Townsend

I LOVE the blog postings! In fact I am more likely to try a recipe that has a blog posting. I am always fascinated to hear their stories of making a recipe. It’s one of the (many) reasons I love the King Arthur site.

PJ, keep ’em coming!

Trish T

4. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks so much for the love, Trish. We love to “talk” to our fellow bakers around the world, sharing stories as well as recipes. <3, MJ

5. TheWildOlive

I also enjoy the “fellow cook talk” of these blog posts, describing how the recipe came to be. ESPECIALLY the descriptions of what failed. Sometimes you learn the most from what doesn’t work – it helps you in your own kitchen experiments! The link to the “plain ol'” recipe is always at the bottom of the post, so no one is forced to read the blog post to get the recipe. I love these posts – they’re like chatting food with your girlfriend. Keep it just as is, sister!

6. PJ Hamel , post author

Thanks, I intend to keep on keepin’ on! And I agree – we always say about the test kitchen here, we make mistakes so you don’t have to. And we DO make lots of mistakes! 🙂 PJH

7. Kalisa

Greg, here’s what you’re going to do:

1) Go to the Recipes part of the KAF website.
      2) Click on the “New recipes” link.
      3) Revel in your newfound brevity.

Please do not reduce PJ’s, or any other of the KAF blog contributors, writing to “cutisie [sic] dialog” in the future. The failures included are part of the recipe making process and help home bakers not only find some comfort in knowing that even professional bakers make mistakes, but allows us to see the hows and whys of what makes a recipe fail of succeed. The more sentimental stories are cultural touchstones that allow readers to share in the social aspects of baking.

tl;dr – If you want a site that spews out recipes at your convenience, feel free to look elsewhere.

Thanks, Kalisa! We know that our blog style may not be for everyone and it is fine for Greg to voice his objections, but it is helpful of you to point out an alternative route for those who would like to get straight to the recipe. It’s also worth noting that every blog contains a direct link to the recipe. Barb@KAF

11. PaulaK

PJ, we love the backstory, anecdotes, trial and error of the blog posts….for me, it is heartwarming to know even professional bakers have to redo and retry to get a recipe right. Keep up the good work! Love KA!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks Paula, well said. Of course, thank goodness there’s no hidden camera in the kitchen when we get down to the third and fourth flop. We get kinda tetchy! ~ MJ

12. garyray

PJ,
    I love your personal touches in these blogs. In fact I search out recipes that you have blogged on just to get that personal touch.

Thank you for writing about baking, and I also must compliment the photographer too. The pictures are so luscious, they spur my creative juices.
    Keep up the good work.

Dot, the nutrition information can be found below the instructions on individual recipe pages for some recipes, but sadly the S’more Pie is not one of them. This is a project that our team is always working on as we develop new recipes and perfect older ones. For the recipes that do not have the nutrition information yet available, we recommend using the Nutrition Calculator that can be accessed using this link: http://bit.ly/1FXLWxE which allows you to enter the ingredients exactly as you used them in the recipe (bonus if you made an substitutions). We hope you find this this information is helpful in your calorie-counting endeavors. Happy baking! –Kye@KAF

13. heyjac

First time poster:
    Thanx for the idea, P.J.
    While I’ve never baked a S’More, I have made all the components that go into it.

Try using a standard “7 Minute Frosting” that remarkably similar to marshmallow fluff, accept it does form Stiff Peaks, Sets-Up rather than stays runny like the jar product, and while it has plenty of body, is ultimately cuttable & servable, as it’s meant to top very tender cakes. 🙂

It’s indeed made with stiffly beaten egg-whites… so for those with a problem with raw eggs-whites, I use a Powdered-Meringue product (Google it) that I started using when making Royal Frosting for my long-lasting Gingerbread Centerpiece Creations,

Suggestion: for instant gratification, serve the jarred “FLUFF” in a presentable container and serving spoon alongside, and let your guests help themselves As Part of the FUN!

Thanx Again
    BLOG-ON, Sister! 🙂

14. Nancy

Any thoughts on using a gelatin that is vegetable based? Gelatin from animal source does not appeal to me.

Agar, Irish moss, or a brand called Vegan Gel would all be fine substitutes. You’ll need to research the amounts and methods of use, since they may vary from our directions. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

15. Jess

Looks divine, having just made a KAF marshamallow fluff over the holidays for whoopie pies I can attest that no one should be afraid of homemade marshamallow – it is not difficult and it really makes any desert more special. I am wondering if I can sub the heavy cream in the pie for full fat coconut cream? Don’t see why not – so I will probably give it a go!

16. Lynne

Oooh, this looks so-o-o good ! !

Our annual group campout with potluck dinner is coming up in April. Now I know what I want to bring.

I am planning to use my creme brulee torch to toast the topping. I don’t really want to have to bring it with me. Would it be ok to toast it a day or two before?

Also, if I decided to make the 13×9 version suggested, would I need to double the recipe?

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes that are posted here.

Double the recipe for the 9×13 pan to be sure you have enough filling. Since it’s a marshmallow topping, the browning is for color. You can do it ahead and it should hold up just fine. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

17. Sharon

Your marshmallow topping experience sounds like a day in my kitchen! I’m so glad that the 3rd time was a charm, for your sake and mine:) I can’t wait to try this, after all, it’s in my favorite food group…chocolate!

Speaking of chocolate, I hope the chocolate filling in pies 1 and 2 didn’t go to waste. I would have gladly scraped off the contrary marshmallow unfluff and eaten them for you 🙂

18. Leslie

PJ – several years ago I discovered that by adding marshmallow cream to egg whites gave me a richer topping for lemon meringue pie. I use about half a jar of fluff to three egg whites plus salt and some powdered sugar. I’ll bet it would taste good on your S’more Pie. I’m going to try it!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for that neat tip, Leslie. I’ll have to try that on a pie soon too. Too bad I’m out of Fluff 🙁 ~ MJ

19. Christina

Hi PJ!

I made this pie yesterday and have it sitting in the fridge. I am going to broil it tonight for a dinner party, and can’t wait to dig in. This has been a huge test of self control, because it looks great,and the fluff layer came out beautifully! Thank you for a great recipe.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Christina, glad you tried the recipe – I hope your guests enjoy it! It’s a nice combination of flavors, for sure. He careful broiling, OK? It browns quickly. Have a good party! PJH

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Yes, I’ve frozen this pie. The marshmallow tends to get a little “weepy” as it thaws, but you can blot off the top with a paper towel before serving. Enjoy – PJH

20. Mary Moretti

My goodness, PJ, your memories of Girl Scout camp take me back to my summers (well, 2 weeks each summer) at Camp Hoffman. Especially the dipping the trays of washed dishes in the boiling water when we ate at camp mess hall. This pie looks great, will have to try it.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Mary, we must be the same generation. I wonder if the Scouts still dip their dishes? 🙂 PJH