Perfect Gluten-Free Biscuits: Our 4 best baking tips

A warm, flaky biscuit, fresh from the oven, one that bursts with steam when you open it? It’s pretty hard to beat. Almost perfection, if you ask me.

Everyone seems to have their own way of making the perfect biscuit. Whether it’s an old family recipe, or maybe it’s a trick that your grandmother uses that she won’t tell anyone else, getting a biscuit just right definitely takes a little practice.

Luckily for all of the gluten-free bakers in the world (including yours truly), making the perfect biscuit is easier than you might think. Today I’m not only going to share our newest gluten-free biscuit recipe (it’s simply amazing!), but I’m also giving you a few simple tips that will help you master the art of perfect gluten-free biscuits.

1. Use a high quality flour blend

Blend is the operative word here. In order to give your biscuits the lift, texture, and crumb that you desire, you need to make sure you’re using a blend of flours and starches. If you use 100% of one flour, your biscuits will likely be crumbly and dry.

My recommendation is to start with our gluten-free flour. Not only because we’ve tested for close to five years in our test kitchen, but because our blend uses both flours and starches in the mix. Once you feel comfortable, you can test other flours; but I always think starting a reliable basic is the way to go.

2. Use cornstarch to dust your work surface

This might seem like an obvious tip, but it’s especially important for gluten-free biscuits: dust your surface with a non-gluten starch (we prefer cornstarch). Gluten-free dough tends to be a bit more sticky, so if you don’t work on a dusted surface, then you’ll probably end up with a big sticky mess on your hands… literally!

We suggest using a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper that’s been dusted with cornstarch over using a gluten-free flour because the unincorporated flour can compromise the texture of the biscuit’s exterior. If you don’t have cornstarch (tapioca starch or potato starch will also work) on hand however, in a pinch you can use any gluten-free flour. And don’t skip the paper – you’ll need it for our next tip.

How to Make Perfect Gluten-Free Biscuits (via @kingarthurflour)

3. Fold rather than knead

Just like with traditional biscuits, you don’t want to over-mix your gluten-free biscuit dough. Our preferred method is to stir the dough until the ingredients begin to come together, but still have some dry crumbs remaining. From there you dump the crumbly mixture onto your dusted parchment or waxed paper, and use the paper to help you fold the dough over onto itself about eight times. The folding technique will help ensure that your biscuits have those lovely, flaky layers that make them so perfect.

Tips for Making Perfect Gluten-Free Biscuits (via @kingarthurflour)

4. Freeze before baking

This tip might seem a little strange, but after testing we have found that freezing our biscuits prior to baking resulted in a flakier, higher rising biscuit. This is because the fat (in this case butter) is frozen and keeps its structure long enough for the biscuit to rise and set.

Once you’ve shaped and cut your biscuits, you simply place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze them while the oven preheats. Ready to bake? Brush the biscuits with some milk and pop them in the oven for about 15 minutes, and they’ll puff up beautifully.

Another great thing about freezing your unbaked biscuits is that it allows you to bake as many as you want at the time. Making breakfast for one? Or dinner for two? No problem! Just bake what you need and save the rest for later. And in case you’re wondering, yes, I love keeping biscuits in my freezer! Saves so much time for those nights where I’m strapped for time but really am craving something floury and delicious.

Perfect Gluten-Free Biscuits Recipe

And now we’d love to share our recipe for perfect gluten-free biscuits with you. We tested multiple batches in our test kitchen and these were the clear winner. They were tender, flaky, and buttery, perfectly balanced between moist and crumbly.

Oh and that spread? It’s sensational. It’s an herbed butter made with basil, sea salt and butter.

Perfect Gluten-Free Biscuits (via @kingarthurflour)We’d love you to bake, taste, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Biscuits!

Print the recipe here.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Kalisa

I am always impressed how the GF community is reclaiming their favorite recipes through clever alternatives and techniques.

2. Marlene

While I’m not new to baking, I am new to the concept of folding the dough while using the parchment paper. Could you possibly post a video of someone doing that on a Facebook page? I have been meaning to buy some of your gluten-free dough mix and I have loved all the products I purchased from you so far.

1. PJ Hamel

Marlene, that’s a great idea – I’ll add it to our list of potential short video tips. Thanks for the suggestion – PJH

3. Judith Reiter

Is other nutritional information available for the Gluten-free Biscuit recipe? Specifically, I need to know CARBS, SODIUM, and PROTIEN.

Thanks.

We advise our wonderful customer/bakers to use an on line resource like . Using an on-line calculator will allow you to make ingredient substitutions and get immediate (nutritional calculation) results. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

4. Pam

I have used King Arthur’s recipe using their baking mix (I make my own form of GF bisquick) and they are fantastic! However, this looks great too! How does it compare to their “other” recipe? Have you tried that one ever?

Like the recipe from the Gluten Free Baking Mix for Savory Biscuits, this recipe gives you the option to use and measure out your own ingredients instead of using a mix. Both recipes make a very nice cut biscuit. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

5. Alene Wendrow

I am a recent 100% gluten-free eater now as I have discovered the cause of all my life long problems. I am/was a prolific baker. Thank you so much for helping me understand the science of gluten free baking so I can return to my favorite activity! Making these tonight with a gluten free corn/almond soup and salad. Can’t wait! You have a new convert and blog follower. And thank you to King Arthur Flour for not forgetting about all those new frustrated gluten-free bakers!

The xanthan gum is necessary to provide structure for your baked good, Selene. It will be difficult to get your biscuit dough to hold together without it. While xanthan gum is the stabilizer we prefer, there are others you could experiment with, such as guar gum and psyllium husk.
      Barb@KAF

2. ruth

I use chia seeds or flax seeds as my binding agents. JUst google how to make a chia egg/flax egg. I use this in all my baking.

You’ll be fine using a vegetable based product that is solid at room temperature- soy butters work nicely. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

1. PJ Hamel

Jed, this comes from our new magazine, Sift – it’s used to illustrate butter plates, so there’s no recipe with specific amounts of ingredients, just that suggested combo of basil, sea salt, and butter. Sorry – PJH

6. Virginia andrews

Thank you for sharing this! It was my main request on your recent customer survey! Love and appreciate your site.

7. Zo

I am needing to make gf bread for sandwiches at an afternoon tea. Does this method work with bread also. Do you have similar tips for bread on your website/ Thank you.

8. Sue Rooney

Whenever we have family get-togethers, I always make sure that our grandson doesn’t feel left out of any of the food choices available–whatever everyone else has, he has a gluten-free, dairy free option–and the big smile he gives me when I tell him he can have it makes the extra work worthwhile. King Arthur products, particularly the cake mixes, have been a hugh hit and no one else realizes they are eating gluten-free!

We all enjoy biscuits but our attempts at gluten-free, dairy free versions have not been great. Will this recipe still work with substituting dairy free margarine and almond milk for the butter and buttermilk?

Sounds like you have a very lucky grandson, Sue! I think this recipe would work fine with a dairy free margarine and almond milk, although the flavor will be a bit different. Barb@KAF

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Terri, I think you could probably leave the honey out, but it definitely does add some moisture to the biscuits. Could you replace it with something like maple syrup or another liquid sweetener? – Alyssa

9. Karen

Is there a substitute for buttermilk? (If you also can’t have milk?)

These look delicious and I would love to try.

Karen – Try using soy, almond or rice milk in place of the fresh buttermilk. Elisabeth@KAF

10. Laura

Hi, I would like to try your gluten free biscuits, but I am now on a sodium restricted diet, can I will be using sodium free baking powder and soda. What could I sub for the salt?
    Thanks
    Laura

As long as your expectations for flavor are bland, skip the salt or use your favorite salt substitute product for better flavor. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

11. Jen Maurice

I don’t know what I did wrong but these were so crumbly I could not get them to hold together to get on to the baking sheet. Perhaps because I used another brand of gluten free flour? Anyway, I had to add more liquid to make them work and they are currently in the freezer as the oven preheats. Hopefully, they will be edible.

Using a different brand or type of gluten free flour will make a big difference. I would try ours next time, should work better! Jon@KAF

We have a helpful blog post written about using what we’ve found to be the best all around egg-replacer: golden flax meal blended with water. Check out our Homemade Egg Replacer post to answer some of your questions. While we haven’t tried that is in this recipe for gluten-free biscuits, you are more than welcome to give it a go! Happy biscuit baking! Kye@KAF

12. Sally Perez

Help! What am I doing wrong? My biscuits are not rising. They’re like flat flaky pancakes. By the way, I’m using a different brand flour and almond milk instead of buttermilk.

Buttermilk provides an acidic component that reacts with the baking soda, adding to the lift. Acidify your almond milk with a teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar. GF biscuits also require different handling, so you’ll want to check your technique there, too. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

Susan, I think cold ghee may be a bit more difficult to work with and won’t give you as flaky of a biscuit. This is because clarified butter won’t release steam the way regular butter does, which helps to create the flaky layers. That being said, it should still work. Barb@KAF

13. Rebecca

Just made these tonight – subbed flax seed for xanthan gum, whole milk for butter milk and they turned out amazing.

14. Ruth Settlemyre

How can i get this biscuit recipe i can’t have dairy products so what is the best to use.Almond ,soy or rice milk that don”taste in the biscuit.I tried lactase and we could taste it we could no stand it.we have not had a good biscuit in 20 yrs.

Here’s a link to the gluten free biscuits recipe. You can use the milk you can tolerate with a bit of vinegar added to turn it into buttermilk you can eat and bake with. Wishing you success in the biscuit quest! Irene@KAF

15. Kimberly Heck

I’m so excited to try this recipe. I have Lyme’s disease and can’t have gluten, sugar, and or yeast. I’m trying to find as many recipes that I can eat and make for my family. Thank you.

16. KateC

Ok, this sounds like it’s worth trying for a batch atop a mushroom quorn ckicken gravy as a dumpling, as well as an additional batch frozen for whatever. May ad thyme & marjoram in the dough for a savory foil for a roasted garlic mushroom gravy mid winter company with rainbow winter salads. Keep up the good work, be well.

Lisa, it’s hard to know how exactly how much xanthan gum is added to the flour blend you’re using, which makes it tricky to make adjustments. You’re welcome to omit it and see how it goes, but if you’re looking for fail-proof results then you’ll want to use a gluten-free flour blend without additives (like this one) to ensure you add exactly the right amount. Good luck! Kye@KAF

It sounds like you’re looking for some professional advice. We are able to offer consulting services for new or existing bakeries. We can assist with bakery layout and design, formula development, equipment and small tool procurement, production scheduling, process troubleshooting, technical education, and hands-on work. If interested, please send an email to Jeffrey Hamelman at Jeffrey.Hamelman[at]kingarthurflour.com. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF