Deviled Eggs: These will tickle you pink.

One of the best things about owning your own chickens is outstanding, spectacular, plentiful fresh eggs for making deviled eggs.

I could absolutely live on deviled eggs and egg salad. They hit just the right balance of creamy, tangy, salty, and briny. You can make them smoky with paprika, or spicy with Tabasco. Sweet pickles or dill pickles? I’m a dill girl all the way – I don’t relish sweet in my eggs. (Sorry, I couldn’t help myself!)

In recent years it’s become popular at Easter to dye the eggs themselves after removing the shells. As I’m sure many of you did, my mum made deviled eggs from our dyed eggs, but the dye was on the shell and the eggs themselves remained white. Sure, there were some blue or green speckles – but mostly white eggs.

Food color is fine for dying your cooked, peeled eggs, but we’ve seen an even cooler (and tastier) way to brighten up your eggs without using dye.

Can you say beets to the rescue? Yes, BEETS!

So, meet me back here in a few minutes with a dozen hard-boiled eggs, a can of beets, some vinegar, and a nice big bowl. See ya soon!

pink deviled eggs

All right then, we’re all back, yes? Great!

Place your peeled eggs in the bowl, pour in the juice from one can of beets, and splash in a couple of teaspoons of vinegar. Not too much, though, you don’t want the eggs to turn rubbery.

Toss and swirl the eggs with the juice. You’ll see them start to pick up color, and in about 4 to 5 minutes, they’ll be a brilliant pink-purple-lilac color.

You can sacrifice one egg and slice it to see how far the color has penetrated. Just a little ring is enough to brighten your egg platter. Be careful, though, with trying to get too much color. The longer the eggs sit in the vinegar, they more they’ll absorb the juice and vinegar, making their outsides tough.

IMG_0163

From here on out you can make the yolks into your favorite filling. I like onion, dill pickle, mustard, mayo, and Miracle Whip all mushed together. A little slice of pickle for a topper, and I’m in deviled heaven. Deviled heaven? It sounds like I’m mixing metaphors again. It must be the little devil in me!

I hope you get a chance to try this neat trick this spring. After all, you can’t beet beat deviled eggs.

Please make, rate, and review our recipe for Deviled Eggs.

Print just the recipe.

Please share YOUR favorite deviled egg recipe in comments, below. If you’re like me and don’t measure, that’s OK, too; we’d love to hear your favorite combos!

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. waikikirie

You are the clever one MJ. I too prefer the “salty” over sweet devil egg. Happy Easter to you and all at KAF…xoxox

1. GRANA

I’ve loved deviled eggs for many many years, but have had to limit them due to cholesterol issues .The “LATE GREAT”Julia Child suggested using mashed canned(cooked)asparagus( stalks& tips) to replace all or some of the yolksin the filling! Adds to the cost but they look & taste great while you follow your cholesterol lowering diet.I prefer dill relish in my filling & a sprinkle of paprika on top for color& zest. Oh BTW the cooled yolks(plain) are enjoyed by raccoons & skunks while you are out hiking a trail & dogs& cats enjoy them anytime (at home) Our Vet said that dogs& cats do not have cholesterol problems & the fats in yolks are good for their hair & skin/coats I read somewhere that some wild birds enjoy unsalted egg yolks ( another non wasteful use )

2. plvannest

You can also make crackle dyed eggs if you don’t peel the eggs but rather crack the shells and then put them in the beet juice and vinegar for a bit.

3. Monica

My favorite deviled egg recipe is the one my Mom always made, and it was really no recipe at all. Just smash up the yolks with mayo and deviled ham – you know, the stuff in the little can with the paper wrapper. Ridiculously easy , and ” devilishly” tasty. Probably REALLY bad for you, but sometimes you just gotta do what you just gotta do!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

That’s the spirit, Monica. I have to admit I’ve never had the deviled ham in a can, but this is making me add it to my shopping list for the week! ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

We all hope you had a lovely day with friends and family, Laurie. and maybe a chocolate bunny or two! 🙂 ~ MJ

4. sharon mayberry

8 h.b. eggs peeled and sliced in half – 2T minced onion – 3T minced celery – 1/4 c mayo. – dash of tabasco – salt to taste. Blend all together, fill eggs with mixture, I top with a little cayenne pepper on each, or you can top with paprika.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

In all my years, I’ve never put celery in my eggs. Time for another batch I guess. ~MJ

2. Matthew

This is mostly how we made ours except the amounts of celery and onion are reversed and we used some chopped dill pickle as well. The onion and celery add a special crunch to the texture and really boost the flavor. 🙂

5. Jean Newell

My grandmother who was born in 1899 used beet juice to color cake frosting for my (and others) birthday cakes. The pink color was soft and beautiful. Sadly, she passed away from throat cancer (never did smoke) in 1964 when I was only 25. She was a very talented, humble woman who taught me many lifelong Yankee ingenuity tricks!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

It sounds like she was a true inspiration, Jean. Thanks for sharing your memories with us. ~ MJ

6. Judi McGuire

Nice to see an old recipe come forward again. Grandmother and I used to do this every year at Easter. Loved those pink eggs.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I’m glad we could bring back happy memories for you Judi. ~ MJ

7. Garrett Michael Hayes

You can also just leave the eggs in the brine for an extended period, and make Beet Pickled Eggs. Once very popular, pickled eggs fell out of fashion with the advent of modern refrigeration and health concerns about over-consumption of eggs. But there was a time when you would see a big jar on the counter at the general store, right next to the pickled sausages.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

There are still stores and delis here in Vermont with big jars on the counter. Right next to the GIANT pickles! ~ MJ

8. Fran S

I am the only one who will eat a pink egg so I put the juice from a jar of pickled beets into a pint Mason jar. I put two peeled eggs in the juice and to keep them submerged I put another cooked egg in it that had not been peeled. I left them about 24 hours and when I took them out I was very surprised to see the natural brown color was easily rubbed off the hard shell. When I did peel it, some of the egg inside was a slight pink color. the pickled beet juice gave the eggs a beautiful color and a slightly sweet taste.

9. Alice Meier

I loved the pickled eggs of long ago!
    Back to the kitchen!!! I do like sweet relish in my deviled eggs with Miracle Whip. Top with non-smoked paprika.

10. Dee Lewis

For a St. Patrick’s Day church coffee hour I wanted green eggs. After cutting them in half I brushed the top of them with green food coloring before filling them. They looked spectacular and didn’t even get your teeth green!!!

11. Clara Coffey

I like to mince left over boiled shrimp and add them to my deviled eggs. A little garlic salt and Blue plate Mayo of course. Garnish with paprika .

1. PJ Hamel

WOW, never thought of adding shrimp, Clara – that sounds positively decadent! Thanks for sharing – PJH

12. Linda Thompson

I dye the whites after I cut the egg in half and take the yolk out. Just put a few drops of coloring in water and let the egg whites turn a lovely pastel. I made pink, blue and yellow first, then secondary colors. Let them sit in the colored water for a few to 5 minutes, depending on the intensity that you desire. Let them dry and fill with egg mix. I do put a T of apple cider vinegar and some finely chopped bacon in the mix:) yum!!

13. Stephanie Skogerboe Ressem

I like to use real mayo, a drop or two of regular mustard, some DRY MUSTARD to taste, salt and white pepper in my deviled eggs. I don’t measure the ingredients…just to taste. I may add a little fresh snipped chives, fresh dill or paprika as a garnish. I will definately try the beet juice thing for our next get-together. I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I’m so excited to see my chives up again this spring. Can’t wait for more deviled eggs! ~ MJ

14. Marie Bianco

You skipped the most important step. How do you hard-cook your eggs? Directions are all over the map. What’s your secret to get nice firm eggs with a bright yellow center?

Marie, you might want to give this a try: Put a wash cloth in the bottom of your pot. Place the eggs in the pot. Fill the water about an inch above the eggs with cold water; use enough water so the eggs are well covered. Bring the water to a boil and then turn the stove off, cover the pot, and let the eggs sit for 20 minutes. Rinse the eggs with cold water. Barb@KAF

15. Jane D

My favorite way to make hard boiled eggs is in my vegetable steamer. Steam even fresh eggs for twenty minutes, rinse with cool water and peel. I’ve made eggs that were laid the day before this way and the shells come off beautifully.