Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits: Just mix, scoop, drop, and bake

If you like easy, then today’s your lucky day. Because easy is coming in the form of these tender, flaky gluten-free biscuits.

What makes them easy, you wonder?

Well, for starters there’s no cutting in cold butter. And we also don’t have to roll them out or cut them into circles before baking. Nope, we’re just going to mix, scoop, drop, and bake.

Doesn’t get much easier than that!

What I adore about these biscuits, aside from how simple they are to whip up, is their flavor and texture. Because they’re made with heavy cream, they have this glorious, rich and creamy flavor while still being exceptionally light and fluffy. They’re great for dunking into soups or stews, serving alongside your favorite pasta dish OR, with just a little sugar added, they’d be an excellent alternative to shortcake.

As I often do, I used a tried and true gluten-based biscuit recipe and adapted it to be gluten-free. I chose our Never-Fail Biscuits (how could I not with a name like that?) and I only ended up having to make a few small tweaks to the original. I swapped our gluten-free flour for the regular flour; added an egg, and also some baking powder – but the method was the same. The result was spectacular. Next up is trying these beauties with some berries mixed in!

To get started with these gluten-free biscuits, preheat your oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

In a large bowl, whisk together:

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

In a measuring cup or another small bowl, beat together

3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 large egg

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until combined.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop (you can go larger if you want, they just might have to bake a bit longer), scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. The dough balls will be slightly larger than a ping pong ball.

Repeat this process until no dough remains. To add flavor and a touch of color, you can brush the tops with a little cream or melted butter before baking.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Bake the biscuits on the center rack for 10 to 12 minutes, until they’re nicely risen and baked through. Break one open to test their doneness.

Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Remove the biscuits from the oven. Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Wendy C

These are nice for a quick breakfast/side biscuit. Nothing fancy, but pleasant texture & certainly easy to whip up. I did substitute 1/3 of the amount of GF flour blend with King Arthur GF Whole Grain Flour Blend, which added some depth and a slightly rustic quality. A good basic recipe to play with!

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

We didn’t use xanthan gum in the recipe because there was an egg which helped bind the flour together. If you try making them and find them a bit crumbly, I think you could add 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan to help pull them together. Hope that helps!

2. Beth R.

I wonder if you could sub a non-dairy milk for the heavy cream (like hemp, which is heavier), or would it not work out as well?

Beth, the fat content of the milk substitute will make a big difference in the tenderness of the biscuits, and will also affect the way the liquid is absorbed. I would try to find a high fat milk substitute and be prepared to adjust the liquid amount if the batter seems very stiff. Barb@KAF

3. Julianne Myers

We have lactose issues, so I’m going to try coconut cream for the heavy cream. Fingers crossed!! I also think this would make a divine scone with a bit more sugar and some dried currants added! 🙂

1. Alyssa Rimmer , post author

Hi Doris, we haven’t tested these with almond milk and I’m not sure it would work since the fat ratio is so different. My best guess, and again this is just a guess since we haven’t tested it, would be to use full-fat coconut milk as a substitute. It would alter the taste tremendously, but it might work since it’s fairly high in fat. Hope that helps!

1. PJ Hamel

Yes, Mariana, it would make quite a difference; your biscuits will definitely be harder/tougher, due to half & half’s lower fat content. If you make the substitution, you’ll want to use less half & half than you would heavy cream; it’s a thinner liquid. Just drizzle it in until you obtain the desired dough texture. Good luck – PJH

4. Brenda

I love the idea about adding sugar to make them into shortcakes…. with strawberry season just around the corner, please do adapt the recipe and post it!! One of the things I’ve missed most since going gluten free two years ago is really good strawberry shortcake. Thanks!

5. Alma

I made these yesterday making half of the recipe into biscuit’s, the other half into short cake with the addition of a couple of tablespoons of sugar. I made the biscuits using the smaller scoop, and the shortcake’s using the muffin scoop. The shortcake was very good using fresh strawberries I had. This morning the biscuits are so crumbly they can’t be split. I think I’ll try the 1/4 tsp. of xantham gum to try to give them more structure. Flavor is excellent, just a bit messy to eat out of hand.
    Thanks for a great recipe. You guys are the best.

1. Brenda B

These biscuits are delish!!!!!! Will definitely add a little sugar to make shortbread with strawberries.

6. Lauren

I made these using buttermilk instead of heavy cream. I lost 65 pounds with Weight Watchers and now work for the company helping others to change their relationship with food. I love to bake and have a gluten allergy, so I am always looking for new recipes and always trying to “lighten” them up. I don’t know how these are with the heavy cream, but they are delicious with the 1.5% buttermilk! Yay

Alyssa suggests finding a substitute that is high in fat, Deb. Your suggestion of using butter or shortening in place of some the almond milk is interesting. I would suggest melting the butter (my choice over shortening) should you decide to experiment. Have fun and come on back with the results! Elisabeth@KAF

7. New to Gluten Free

I am fairly new to gluten free and definitely benefit medically from going without.
    I have hit a point where I SERIOUSLY miss wheat flour based food.

These biscuits were “meh”, ok. Only good RIGHT out of the oven.
    They do not reheat well at all and become crumbly fast. The texture is reasonable at first but disintegrates with any storage (fridge or counter).

They ARE easy to make.

I know I am whining but right now I REALLY miss a real biscuit – but not the GI, skin or any other complications.

8. Josey

Hello,
    I am making these biscuits as we speak, but I’d like to clarify something; for the baking powder, is it 2 tsp and then 3/4 teaspoons as well?

If you don’t have baking powder at home, you can make it using a combination of cream of tartar and baking soda. Sift together 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 tablespoons baking soda and take what you need for each recipe. Or if you want to make a smaller amount, use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar to replace 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Good luck! Kye@KAF

9. Jenn

Made these tonight, they were the first thing that came up when I searched “gluten free drop biscuits”, they were great! Very quick, nothing fancy but then biscuits ain’t supposed to be fancy 😉 good texture, not doughy or gummy. Will have to make a double batch next time; husband smacked my rear and said “make these every week” 😀 and he doesn’t have to eat gf! May play around w a couple things to see if I can get more loft but honestly biscuits get doused with soup/stew/sauce so they do just fine. Also, didn’t have cream so I soured the milk w a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar, and had to add a bit extra flour to compensate. Really appreciate this recipe!!

10. Brenda Foster

I have Fibromyalgia and have recently learned that gluten free, wheat free, sugar free & dairy free diet makes a major difference in the pain level that I was dealing with daily. I really appreciate the comments from the ladies that are using different ingredients in this recipe. I will try it with almond milk-adding a with a little apple cider vinegar and see how that works out.

11. Andrea Johnson

I’m just now trying to make my own gluten free biscuits and am thankful to pics with the directions. Anxious to serve them for Easter dinner at our house. I might make some tomorrow to try with coconut milk & fat. I cook with coconut oil all the time now and there is no coconut oil flavor. Do you ever all some shredded cheese to the mixture?

12. Andrea Johnson

I also need to make a gluten free dessert. A family favorite has always been apple pie. I was wondering about making apple crisp using this recipe with apples and brown sugar. Any suggestions of what changes I should make?

13. Bernice

I made these with full fat coconut milk and the result? Delicious! Thank you for giving us back our baking powder biscuits. We sure missed them since going GF 🙂

14. Leigh

So they have to be baked and then frozen? I can’t just mix up the dough and freeze it? I am also new to the gluten free and organic eating so I am trying to understand everything still. After you bake them and freeze them do you just lay them out on the counter to unthaw and eat that way?

Leigh, you could freeze them unbaked. Just pop them into the oven, no need to let them thaw ahead of time. Just add a minute or two of extra baking time if they’re frozen.
      Bryanna@KAF

Ellen, we get asked a lot about egg-replacements in gluten-free baking, so we actually have a whole, helpful blog article on the topic: http://bit.ly/1Ufv87h As you’ll see there, because of the multi-faceted role eggs play in gluten-free baking, not all gluten-free recipes are prime candidates for egg substitution. One like this that calls for relatively little egg, however, should work just fine with a replacement like rehydrated flax meal (see the link above for more detail). Happy baking! Mollie@KAF