Berry Tiramisu: Pick up some fresh berries, this cake awaits!

When summer arrives in New England and the time comes to pick your own berries, it becomes an all-day event, akin to the family trip to the seashore, or a jaunt to the town Founder’s Day picnic.

Sunscreen and bug spray? Check. Water bottles and berry baskets? Check. Bright shirts with long sleeves to stay protected, most often pre-spotted with berry juice from picking trips past. A shady hat, comfy shoes, and we’re headed off to the fields before the sun is over the yardarm.

Just as in the classic children’s book Blueberries for Sal, the ka-plink, ka-plank, ka-plunk of the berries in the bottom of the pail is deeply satisfying. Blueberries make a twang, strawberries make a rounder thunk, while juicy blackberries and raspberries make hardly any sound at all.

Before too long the urge to sample “just one” gets the better of you, and you indulge in sneaking a nibble here and a nosh there. Lips and fingertips turn vivid red and purple-blue, giving away your secrets.

Buckets full, you weigh out and pay your fees, loading your goodies into the car. On the way home you scratch a few bites and talk about what treat you’ll be making first. You’ll be happily tired and in need of a bit of a pick-me-up. Nothing will fit the bill quite like our delightful Berry Tiramisu.

A departure from the classic coffee-infused dish from Italy, our Berry Tiramisu features bright citrus flavors to offset the sweetness of your berries, and is so light it won’t weigh you down. Even better, the mixing and baking times are short, keeping you out of the kitchen and on the porch enjoying the sun and fun of the season.

So, wash up and let’s get started.

berry tiramisu-4

1. Prepare your oven and pans

Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease and line with parchment two 9″ square pans. If you only have round pans, you can use two 9″ rounds. The layers will be slightly thicker and will take a few extra minutes of baking time.

2. Make your cake batter

Beat together:

6 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

The key to getting a light and airy sponge cake is to whip the eggs for several minutes to incorporate air and emulsify the egg’s water and fats. The batter will thicken and turn pale yellow. It’ll drop from the beater in a thicker stream, instead of a thin trickle like water or juice.

In a separate small bowl combine:

1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt

Whisk to make sure there are no lumps of flour or baking powder.

Sprinkle 1/3 of the dry mix over the surface of the whipped eggs, and gently whisk it in. Repeat twice more, using about 1/3 of the dry mix each time. The batter will thicken even more, and begin to look bubbly and a bit more like a sturdy foam.

3. Bake and cool the cake

Spread the batter into the prepared pans and bake for about 20 to 23 minutes. The cake will color slightly on top and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan when it’s done.

berry tiramisu-6
Learn from my mistake and place your cake on your serving platter before brushing with syrup. A moist, tender cake is hard to move.

Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the edge of the pan while it’s still warm.
Place the cake on a rack to cool completely before taking it out of the pan.

4. Prepare the soaking syrup and brush the cake

In a small saucepan over medium heat, simmer:

zest (peel) of 2 lemons, peeled in strips with a peeler
juice of 2 lemons (1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice)
2 whole cloves (or a pinch of ground clove)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or fresh orange juice (if you use an orange, save the grated peel for the filling).

When the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear, strain it and set it aside to cool while you prepare the filling.

berry tiramisu-003

5. Make the filling

In a large bowl, combine 1 pound mascarpone cheese and 2 tablespoons freshly grated orange peel (zest). The citrus flavors are going to play beautifully with whichever berry you choose to use in your tiramisu.

Gradually pour and fold in 1 cup of heavy or whipping cream (unwhipped)  until the mixture is smooth. Finally, for sweetness, stir in 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar.

berry tiramisu-7

6. Build the cake

Place one cake layer down on your serving platter. Use a pastry brush to coat the cake with some of the syrup. Brush, then allow a few minutes for it to soak in. Reserve half of the syrup for the second layer. You remembered and moved the cake off the rack before soaking, right?

Place one quart of the sliced berries of your choice (single variety, or a combination) on the cake. Strawberries are a classic but blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries are all excellent.

Dollop about half of the filling evenly over the berries. I like to fill the four corners, and then place some filling in the middle. You can then spread the mounds to meet each other, and create one layer.

berry tiramisu-8

It’s hard to resist stopping here and eating the whole thing, but try to hold off just a bit. Believe me, it’s worth it.

Place the second layer of cake onto the cream, and repeat the soaking process with the second half of the syrup. Add the remaining cream filling;  and finally another layer of berries.

If you prefer, you can divide the cake into serving portions and top each with an individual sliced berry, rather than garnish the entire top.

berry tiramisu-5

Chill the cake for at least an hour (up to overnight) before serving. This dish is best served within a day of making it; after that your cake can tend to get a little soggy.

You can make your filling and syrup two to three days ahead of time, if you wish. Then just assemble the day you plan to serve, and you’ll have a sumptuous dessert with very little effort.

Best berry tidings of summer, from our kitchen to yours.

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Berry Tiramisu.

Print just the recipe.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Glad to hear you like the concept, Cindy. Now, wait ’til you taste it! Mmmmmmm ~ MJ

1. Kalisa

Strawberries? A pound of mascarpone? Sign me up! Looks like a cake that works for both casual and more formal situations. I could even see this as a wedding cake.

Our local farmer’s markets are kicking into gear and I have a pint of strawberries sitting in my fridge. If any survive my snackathon I might try this cake out!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I love the idea of this for a picnic, but also for a wedding cake. Sweet and timeless. ~ MJ

2. Kalisa

UPDATE: The strawberries did not make it. :d Darn, what a shame, will have to buy more.

Berries have a strange way of disappearing before they ever make it to the kitchen…we hope your next batch sticks around long enough for you to try this recipe, Kalisa! Happy berry baking! Kye@KAF

2. Bette

Can hardly wait to try; strawberry season is a few weeks away here in Northern Michigan. Just a quick question; is the whipping cream whipped before adding to the mascarpone cheese and sugar mixture? thanks!

Hi Bette,
      No, the cream goes in as liquid. I’ll add a little update in the blog to make that more clear. Thanks! ~ MJ

3. Sue

Hello Mary Jane,

The strawberry Tiramisu looks absolutely beautiful and I bet it tastes equally good. Thank you for
    sharing this recipe. I love tiramisu and now you have given me a recipe to use strawberries in especially for summer eating.

Hi Sue,
      I was really excited to taste this the first time, and I wasn’t disappointed. So very, very good. Enjoy!~ MJ

Hi Chris,
      A gluten free sponge cake would make a fine substitute, or even GF ladyfingers. ~ MJ

4. Sheri Wertheimer

This looks wonderful. Sort of a fancy trifle. The cake looks easy.Wondering though, could you use lady fingers with the syrup and fillings. Not sure they would soften enough. Thanks for the inspiration!

Hi Sheri,

Yes, you could use ladyfingers, either store-bought or homemade. Great for a summer shortcut. ~ MJ

5. Deb

Completely agree! Not a coffee fan so excited about making this for a family picnic soon now that the weather is perfect for strawberries!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I can’t wait to try this with fresh black raspberries from my friend’s garden. Enjoy, Deb! ~ MJ

6. Toni

Do you whip the cream for the filling, before mixing with other ingredients? Great recipe for the summer, thanks.

Hi Toni,
      No, the cream is added as a liquid, not as whipped cream. Thanks for double checking! ~ MJ

7. Denise

Looks scrumptious, My boyfriends mom makes a similar recipe but she also frosts the outside of the cake with whipped cream and garninshes the top with a few of the prettiest berries. =}

8. Diane

I’ve read through the directions twice but the photo doesn’t seem to have the berries on top of the second layer; rather, it seems to look like the entire berry mixture was put on the first layer then covered with the second layer.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

The photos are shown with the option of adding individual berries to the servings. You’ll find it listed in the second part of step 9. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

9. Michael

I’m not sure about the instructions on building the cake. On the 2nd layer if you add the filling first and then the berries the top won’t look like the photo in the recipe which is smooth. I also don’t see a 2nd layer in the photo, what did I miss? Thanks

10. Cynthia

Looking forward to making this yummy dessert but, tell me, what is the pattern name of the lovely plate it’s sitting on?

Hi Cynthia,
      I’m sorry, I wish I could tell you, but the plate is just one down at the photo studio. If John, our photographer happens to know next time I’m there, I’ll be sure to post it here. ~ MJ

11. Shelly S

I just made regular Tiramisu for the first time for my daughter. (With King Arthur flour of course!) She wasn’t big on the coffee taste. But the lady fingers came out great. I can’t wait to try this one!

This berry flavor will make many people very happy who do not like coffee flavor. Like all of our younger children. Can’t wait to try it myself! JoAnn@KAF

12. carol scanlon

Dear Mary Jane – thanks for this recipe. Being in florida, I am already on my 3rd container of strawberries and was looking for something new to try. Love regular tiramisu but this would be even better. Cannot wait to try.

13. Melina

Yay! I’m super excited to try this non-alcoholic, non coffee version…sounds absolutely divine!! Thanks:)

14. Suzie

Yea! Berries!! Not a fan of the original, so I’m really looking forward to making this as soon as I can get the strawberries! Thank you so much!!

15. Kris

I would like to make this ahead. Can the cake be frozen? Might a strawberry liquor be sprinkled on the cake? Could this also be baked in a sheet pan and made into a cake roll?

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I think the strawberry liquor and making a roll would be great, but I wouldn’t go with freezing this, the filling will suffer. ~ MJ

Yes you can use a sheet pan. Place parchment on bottom of pan, spray sides and fill 3/4 of the way. Hope this helps and Happy Baking!JoAnn@KAF

16. Lisa

This looks awesome. It sounds delicious, too. I think I may try it this weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

17. JenBishop

That looks so good. I think I will be making it for Memorial Weekend picnic. Thank you for sharing a Tiramisu without coffee or caffeine.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

A mix of strawberries and blueberries would be a nice red, white and blue! ~ MJ

18. member-dorothyleonard272

Thank you for this luscious recipe. I’m in Brentwood, Northern California and the strawberries from the farms here are just so delicious this year. Now I have the perfect recipe for tomorrow.

19. sandygolfer

Is this recipe posted as a recipe on the website? I would love to be able to save this in my King Arthur recipe box. This sounds so light and decadent at the same time and it just screams late spring/early summer. Please post as a recipe.

This recipe is on our site, and you can find it using a recipe search, or by following the link at the end of the blog. It’s a wonderful summer dessert- but I’d make it with raspberries or blackberries! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

20. indira

Hi Mary,
    It’s great idea ehmmm.tiramisu with fruits i will try this recipe. Can you help me ?how to reduce sour in fresh strawberry, in my.country there are lots of srawberry but have taste too sour, is not like in your country the strawberries are big, sweet and little sour. Thanks

You could use a local berry that is sweeter to you, or try sprinkling a little sugar on top berry layer before serving to take away some of the sourness. Be careful though, they may weep a bit, so plan on serving the same day. ~ MJ

21. wanda jordan

What else could be used instead of Almond extract. Allergic to nuts. please email results I might not can find way back here,
    TIA

A lemon or vanilla extract would be a good alternative to almond. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

22. Rana

This looks and sounds divine, can’t wait to try it this strawberry season! Also very refreshing to find a tiramisu recipe without coffee or liquor, my son will definitely gobble this up!

23. Ines

I am truly looking forward to trying this beautiful recipe! Pouring the whipping cream in liquid form is interesting. I would have whipped it first. I would have thought that the liquid form would have made the filling to loose. I’m buying the ingredients today!

Ines, we’ve found that this method gives the filling just the right texture–slightly soft to soak into the cake but firm enough to hold up the berries. It’s just right for us! Feel free to try it both ways if you like and see which one you prefer. Happy berry baking! Kye@KAF

2. MaryJane Robbins , post author

The thick cream thins down the mascarpone enough to make it more spreadable, but not fluffy. I bet you could whip half of the cream and fold it in for a lighter layer if you wanted. ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I haven’t tested it, but the cake should be just fine as GF. Or you can use another favorite GF sponge cake for the base. ~ MJ

24. Danielle Durand

I just read another blog “Easy Summer Mini Pies: Small Pies, Big Payoff”… and I was wondering if we could make these as individual tiramisu in the bun pan… if so, do you think the filling, etc. would be fine to make six individual tiramisu? The mini pies look great, but the tiramisu also… I am just trying to find more use to my bun pan. Your recipes are all great! I am a great fan! Keep baking and writing wonderful recipes!

Hi Danielle,
      I think this would work out fine. You can get 6 bun pan cakes from a standard-size recipe, then you could just soak them and top with the filling and berries. It wouldn’t be layered, but more like outrageously awesome shortcake. Do let us know if you try it! ~ MJ

25. Jacqueline Wilson

Just made it. I thought that I put enough berries, but no. There is always room for more berries. Nice change from the pound cake, berries, and whipped cream.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

There is always room for more berries.

I’m calling this as the quote of the day! ~ MJ

26. Nikki

The only critique I have is that in the directions it says, “Gradually pour and fold in 1 cup of heavy or whipping cream (unwhipped) until the mixture is smooth” and I did that exactly. It was soupy. The directions should state that after the cream is added to the cheese, you need to whip it up as if you were making frosting. I thought so, but I didn’t want to whip it because the directions didn’t say to. YOU HAVE TO WHIP IT TO MAKE THE THICK CREAM. Everything else was spot on and my dessert came out perfectly. I also cut my two cakes to make four layers. It presents very well.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I’m sorry to hear that you had trouble with your filling. The recipe is correct, and the cream should not be whipped for the filling. The mascarpone cheese is very thick, almost like spreadable cream cheese, and the whipping cream thins it down just enough to be spreadable.
      Be careful to make sure you are using 8 ounces of cream by volume. Many containers sold in the stores are one pint, which is too much for the recipe. ~ MJ

27. Rose O

How beautiful! I would love to make this for a party of 16. What pan size would be good for doubling the recipe! Perhaps a 9 X11?

Hi Rose,
      I would make two batches of cake in the square pans, then use two cakes laid side by side for each layer. Then spread with a double batch of the filling and berries. OR you could make two separate cakes, each using a different berry as the star. ~ MJ

28. gail

The sides of your Berry Tiramisu look so straight, as if it was assembled in the original 9 X 9 pan. Just wondering if I make the sponge cake in a springform pan (twice for the two layers) and then assemble it in back into the springform pan, would I also end up with those beautiful straight sides?

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

hahahaha, I think it’s partly being a fussy pants, and partly luck. I actually assembled it on a half-sheet pan for easy transport and cutting. I think your springform pan idea is excellent, too. Great for storing while it’s chilling. ~ MJ

29. Patsy Hoekstra

So where can a poor country bumpkin like me find mascarpone cheese? The recipe might as well call for a pound of Unobtanium cheese It’s unavailable at any price in the area of the “Show Me” state where I live, with a 100 or so chickens and three dogs. I do have hen-temperature eggs available every morning, so that is an advantage sometimes.

I hope this is not bad form, but I found a substitute for mascarpone cheese on another website. It’s pretty simple: 1 lb cream cheese, 1/3 c sour cream, 1/4 c heavy whipping cream. Whip it good!

I plan to make this cake with fresh strawberries from my Amish neighbors. Their teenage girls clean the church across the street on Wednesdays and then do a second cleaning job later in the afternoon. They park their buggy in my yard and let their horse roam the grass. We are going to sneak in a DVD movie this week and I will serve your cake. Their moms can’t know about the purloined free time or the forbidden movie (it is against the Ordnung.) They like cowboy movies and love John Wayne.

I think the cake will compete with one of their pinnacle dessert specialties, a jelly roll style maple/butter brickle-filling rolled up in pumpkin cake and cut into pinwheel pieces that is usually served at weddings. It is soooo heavenly.

Cheers to all you fellow food fanatics! Here’s the link to the mascarpone substitute to give credit: http://www.food.com/recipe/substitute-for-mascarpone-cheese-28620

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Thanks for posting the mascarpone substitute, Patsy. It’s always nice to have options. ~ MJ

30. Tudi

This is a perfect recipe for two two summer baby showers I’m hosting. The mom-to-be can enjoy the healthy fruit and touch of decadence. There’s even calcium in every bite! Each shower has about 20 guests so shall I make two complete recipes? Actually, as my daughter is having twins, that’s a wonderful idea!

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I would definitely go with a double recipe, Tudi. Twin babies, twin cakes! Congratulations Grammy! ~ MJ

31. gepato

My Dad’s favorite birthday cake was angel food with sliced peaches- the cake was “frosted” with whipped cream and then sliced peaches all over the top and around the sides. Since his birthday was in December the peaches were canned (either home or store-bought.) I think his birthday treat could be changed to be a peach tiramisu by substituting the peaches for strawberries – especially when fresh peaches are available. I love the strawberry version. I think I would have to tinker with the brushing syrup – something with almond, maybe.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Ohhh, that sounds lovely. Almond would be good with the peaches, or ginger. ~ MJ

32. Dorothy McDonald

I’d have to drive at least 100 miles to find mascarpone cheese, and I was wondering if my homemade soft goat cheese would work in this recipe. I’d love to try the recipe.

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

I would say it’s definitely worth a try, Dorothy. You may need a little extra sweetener, to taste. ~ MJ

33. Nancy Maranto

I love your Blog. This recipe sounds wonderful and I especially like it because I never eat Tiramisu, I’m the only person in our family who doesn’t like it even though I do drink coffee. This sounds recipe sounds wonderful! Thanks!

Fantastic Nancy, it sounds like it’s baking time at your house! ~ MJ

34. Kristina

I made this dessert over the weekend and agree with Nikki that adding 1 cup of cream made the mascarpone filling very thin and soupy. Perhaps, Mary Jane, different brands of mascarpone come in different consistencies. Like Nikki, I then whipped the mixture and it became just the right texture. Otherwise, it was a terrific recipe and perfect for the season!

35. Farmers

We made the recipe, and it looks incredible! The one spot of trouble we ran into was with the mascarpone and the cream – I followed the recipe (and double-checked the amounts of each!) and even after refrigerating, the mixture was like a thin custard rather than the thick filling shown in the picture. What should we have done differently?

I am sorry the filling was not the correct consistency, Farmers. It may be caused by using a mascarpone or heavy cream that are not full fat or from beating to blend the filling ingredients to vigorously. We hope you will try again! Elisabeth@KAF

36. DD

Thankfully I read the blogs or else I would have purchased the pint size container of mascarpone reasoning that 16 ounces = the pound. For those of us who do not regularly weigh our ingredients, please note the ounces as well as the weight. The cake is baking as I type!!

Thank you for trying this recipe, DD. We hope it was a success!
      1 pint of marscarpone = 2 cups = 16 ounces = 1 lb = 454 g
      Moving from volume to weight and ounces to pounds can get a little confusing! Happy baking! Elisabeth@KAF

37. joan smith

I made this recipe for a party today and it was wonderful. It was picture perfect and tasted great. I followed the recipe to the letter. It was easy and fun to make. Made the cream and syrup day before and then the cake same day as serving. It serves 16 squares easily and is rich enough to serve 32 small pieces too. If you do that the cake has to be well chilled or else it falls apart when you cut the small pieces.
    Thanks for a great dessert.

38. thousandways

I love raspberries, and have an allergy to strawberries so I decided to make this using :

Red raspberries and Clear Creek Liqueur Raspberry, (Chambord is made from black raspberries and was too intense)

Firstly, I sprinkled a small hand full of your Raspberry Jammy Bits over the sponge batter prior to baking
    I then made a simple syrup boiled of sugar, water and the liqueur to brush on the sponge cake after it cooled
    Whipped in some liqueur to taste with the mascarpone/whipping cream mixture
    Omitted the almond flavouring

It was delish! It lasted about 15 minutes at the party.

Thank you for this lovely idea and making it easy to embellish and/or leave as is. The sign of a truly great recipe.

39. Anna

When the recipe is changed so that the measurements are in grams, the Citrus Soaking Syrup lists the lemon juice as “74g to xg.”

Thanks for catching this little glitch, Anna! The recipe should read 74-113 grams of lemon juice for the syrup. We’ll work on updating that ASAP. Happy berry baking! Kye@KAF

40. Julie Stone

I took this to a potluck luncheon today and people RAVED over it!!! I made the recipe just as stated, using orange juice in the soaking liquid and strawberries for the fruit. Next time, I probably wouldn’t brush on all of the simple syrup, as a lot of it leaked out of the cake. Luckily, it was on a plate that curved up at the sides. I will definitely make this again. 🙂

41. ghirst

WOW! I baked it in 2 – 9 inch round and then split the layers. 5 extra minutes baking time. So had 4 layers, made a wonderful tall Birthday Cake. Recipe makes lots of cream filling for all layers and still had some for the top. It is strawberry season here so used fresh picked berries. No sugar required. Used Orange juice in the soaking liquid instead of alcohol, Making it again for 6year old grand daughters birthday on the weekend. Added it to my recipe file.

42. Chloe

This is in the oven as I am typing this. I followed the directions and used 2 nine inch round pans instead of the 2 square pans. The batter almost reached the top of the pans, but against my better judgement I put them in the oven anyway. Well they are overflowing in the oven. I hope that they can be trimmed and removed from the pans once they are done baking or else the whole recipe will be ruined! Not sure what went wrong.

We’re not sure what went wrong either, Chloe but it sounds like your 9″ rounds were not quite deep enough. Sometimes cake rounds are 1.5″ deep while others are 2″ deep. You guessed right: this recipe needs the full 2″ rounds. With a bit of trimming, we bet you’ll be able to spruce up this cake and make it still taste delicious. If all else fails, cover it in the whipped cream and strawberries and it will please all! If you’d like to troubleshoot a bit further about what might have gone astray, please give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE. Fingers crossed when it comes out of the oven! Kye@KAF

Hi Marietta,
      You could bake the cake in a quarter sheet pan, or a jelly roll pan instead of in the two smaller pans. ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins , post author

Yes, you can make a larger cake and then cut in half. Just be sure to not fill the cake pan more than 2/3 full to prevent over spill. ~ MJ

43. Mary Hooke

I do not care for the original tiramisu but this recipe looks so delicious. Wonder if I could use my Maryann pan I bought from KAF a few years ago???

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Mary. I assume you’re thinking about making individual desserts? I think it’s a great idea. I’d split each cake and put a layer of filling in it, and use more mascarpone in the well on top, finishing with the berries. Very nice, and very elegant. Great idea. Susan

1. Susan Reid

Glass isn’t great for a sponge cake; it slows down the heat transfer. If you had two 8″ metal pans, that would work fine. If you do go in glass, I recommend lining the pans and reducing the oven temperature by 25°F. You’re likely to get crusty edges, but those can be trimmed if need be. Susan

44. Peg

I will not make this again. Too much syrup, leaked out of the cake. I used 2 cups of mascarpone and the whipping cream, unwhipped, and the filling was a soupy mess.
    The recipe says heavy cream or whipping cream, if heavy cream is best, then don’t say “or whipping cream”. The filling never firmed up.
    Waste of expensive mascarpone. Waste of strawberries. Haven’t tasted it yet, hoping it firms up somewhat overnight.

Peg, I’m so sorry to learn that this recipe did not work out for you. It does sound as though something went a bit amiss, as the filling should be stiff with either whipping or heavy cream. If you’d like to troubleshoot, please feel free to call us to chat at our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253. Thank you for your feedback! Bryanna@KAF

We’re glad you asked, Linda. You can use the recipe for sponge cake that’s given here and simply use our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour to replace the all-purpose flour in the recipe. No other adjustments are necessary, and you’ll be left with a delicious gluten-free, berry-filled tiramisu! Kye@KAF