How to Make Gluten-Free Bread: 3 Tips for Bread Machine Success

If you’ve ever baked bread in a bread machine, then you know it’s easy-peasy. You just put everything into the loaf pan, choose your settings, hit start, and walk away. It’s like a slow cooker, but for bread.

But the real question is… can you make gluten-free bread in your bread machine?

At first, I was skeptical of using a bread machine for gluten-free dough, because gluten-free bread doesn’t use the same rise times as a traditional recipe. But my fears were quickly put to rest when I realized that the Zojirushi Virtuoso bread machine has a gluten-free setting built right in! How great is that!?

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

Knowing that our gluten-free sandwich bread is always a winner (it never fails me), I put it to the test using a Virtuoso. And let me tell you, with just a couple of minor changes, it didn’t disappoint! The bread was absolutely perfect. It was just the right texture, with a nice crust and a soft interior.

And the best part? All I had to do was put everything into the machine and push a button.

So for those of you who’ve been wondering if a) our gluten-free sandwich bread can be made in a bread machine; and/or b) if gluten-free bread turns out just as delicious when made in a bread machine, the answer is a resounding yes!

After baking my bread, I do have some tips for helping to ensure your bread machine yields that ultimate gluten-free loaf you’re hoping for.

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

Tip 1: Add a touch more flour.

With our first test of gluten-free sandwich bread in the bread machine using the recipe as written, it lacked the dome that we look for in good sandwich bread. The texture and taste were still there, but the loaf was fairly flat across the top. So we tweaked and tweaked and found that adding just an ounce more gluten-free flour helped us get closer to the dome shape, without compromising the bread’s texture, moistness, or flavor.

Tip 2: Add one more egg.

An extra egg helped give the bread a bit more lift. With the addition of the extra flour, we wanted to make sure the bread didn’t dry out, but adding more milk wouldn’t have helped us with structure or rise. So we added one more egg and found results perfect.

Tip 3: Let the bread cool completely before slicing.

This is so, so important. When the bread first comes out of the pan it will feel a little soft and under-baked. Have no fear; once you let it cool completely, the crust will harden and the inside will be soft and filled with perfect little air pockets. So good!

And now it’s time to bake! Here’s are some quick step-by-step instructions on how to make gluten-free bread in your bread machine.

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

The recipe uses 4 large eggs; one of them sank beneath the milk in this photo.

Step 1: Put the liquids into the bread machine followed by the dry ingredients. Follow our recipe, but use 1 additional large egg, and an additional 1 ounce (3 tablespoons) gluten-free flour.

Step 2: Choose your bread machine’s gluten-free setting. Set the crust to medium.

Step 3: Let the machine do its thing.

Step 4: Once the bread is done baking, remove it from the pan and place it back in the machine to finish cooling (this will help keep the crust from getting overly soft and potentially leathery).

Step 5: Slice and enjoy!

OK, now that you’ve baked a loaf, how did it turn out? Do you have any tips for baking gluten-free bread in a bread machine? If so, please let us know in comments, below!

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. mmcape

We have two working bread machines but neither is a Zojirushi. Would you please list the mix/rest/knead/bake times in the machine that you use so I can compare it to my own and see if it is possible to make in either of my bread machines or if their set cycles vary too much from the recommended machine. I have tried five different brands of gluten free bread mixes and my son (the only person in the family who is gluten free) advises that KAF is the best. I look forward to your response because if possible, I would like to use the bread machine. Thanks!

Here is the breakdown of the gluten-free course in the Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme:
      Rest: 33 min (optional)
      Knead: 17 minutes
      Rise 1: 5 minutes
      Rise 2 (punch down and rise): 5 minutes
      Rise 3 (punch down and rise): 25 minutes
      Bake: 60 minutes
      Keep warm (optional): 60 minutes

I hope this helps you along your way to achieving the perfect loaf of gluten-free bread! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. Alicia

Please share the ingredients for the smaller sized Zojirushi. We have the BB-HAC 10, Home bakery 1lb loaf machine. This does not have a GF setting. I’ve had a pretty tough time getting a really good loaf of GF honey bread. It would be helpful when you post these great tips…to include a grid for the different sizes and the differences in ingredients.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks Alicia,

We don’t have this recipe written up and tested in the smaller version, but I’ll put it in as an item on the wish list. ~ MJ

2. "irisdmorales.morales@gmail.com"

I have a really good recipe for a multigrain GF loaf. Our adult daughter loves it, and I made a loaf for her in-laws (visiting from Norway) who missed the heartier breakfast breads that they are used to eating for breakfast. They raved about the GF loaf, saying that it was tasty and hearty. They enjoyed it with good quality apricot jam.
      I’d be happy to share the recipe with you if KAF allows this reply to be published. I am including my email address, and welcome your contacting me. I would very much like to help you out, because I personally know how difficult it is to bake GF breads that are more than just palatable. I would like to help you have a great bread experience.
      Hi Iris. For your security, we’ve removed your personal email from this comment. Please see our comment for how to share your recipes on our site. Thanks! MJR @ KAF
      Hope it gets published, and that you respond 🙂

3. Nancy

I’ve used my old Panasonic bread machine with the normal 4-hour setting to make a wonderful GF Sally Lunn-type sandwich bread. Since the original Sally Lunn recipe yields a sweeter bread than is usually used for sandwiches, I reduced the sugar to two tablespoons. The height and texture of the bread is wonderful. My grandsons love it and they’re not gluten sensitive. I would encourage everyone to try your bread machine before investing in a new one.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks so much, Nancy. It’s always helpful to hear from folks with real-world experience. ~MJ

4. Lori A. Mailloux

I use my bread machine just to make the dough, and then I bake it in the oven. Could you tell me what temp and how long I should bake in the oven?

Blog author Alyssa is on vacation until July 12. She’ll personally respond to your question when she returns! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

5. Mimi

What do you mean by removing the bread from the pan and then replacing it back into the machine to finish cooling? Do you remove the paddles from the bottom and them drop the bread back into the pan? and if so, wouldn’t it just work to let it completely cool and THEN remove the bread from the machine?

Mimi, when baked in this bread machine the crust is quite firm and can be taken out of the pan and allowed to cool in the machine (without the paddles). If you left the bread in the pan to cool the crust would get soggy. If you don’t have this machine, just allow the bread to cool on a rack. Barb@KAF

6. joyce

We just purchased a Cuisinart bread maker and it has a gluten free setting. I am going to try your suggestions next time I make a loaf. Mine came out as you described, a little flat. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Joyce

7. Lavone Goldman

I am searching for a very simple, easy , basic gluten free whole grain sandwich loaf to be baked in oven.
    Can you help me?
    Thank you!

Lavone

8. Marilyn

Are there any additional recipe changes for using the bread machine at 5300 ft.? Sometimes gluten free baking at altitude is a challenge.

9. Becky Bonacker

So I have to go out and BUY another bread machine before I can make gluten free in one?????? Bread machines are not exactly cheap! Guess I’ll be trying it the old-fasioned way…….

Becky, no need to go out and buy a new bread machine! I would recommend making the adjustments outlined in this post and then using the settings recommended for baking our Gluten-Free Bread mix in your bread machine. One note: you can omit the added baking powder recommended in the link when baking the GF bread recipe instead of the mix. Barb@KAF

10. nrryan

Struggling to find the best* pizza crust: what about using the egg-and-extra-flour-enhanced GF sandwich bread recipe in dough form as a pizza crust?
    *i.e., a crust more like traditional wheat flour pizza crust rather than a “cracker” crust.

We haven’t tried this, but it might be worth experimenting with. The additions in this blog are meant for bread machine baking, which is a bit different. Have you tried this gluten-free pizza crust recipe? It sounds like what you’re looking for. You might also find this blog post very helpful. Barb@KAF

11. makava

Wow – thank you so much for this post. I had all but given up trying to make a good GF bread, especially in the bread machine. This came out perfect – good rise, great texture, good crumb, slices beautifully and tastes delicious – almost like ‘real’ bread. I used all your suggestions with the following minor changes: used 1/4 cup Bakers Dry Milk with 1 cup + 1 Tbls warm water. Also used Psyllium Powder instead of Xanthan. I have an older Oster bread machine that does not have a GF cycle but does have an 80-minute Express Bake. It was perfect! Can’t wait to try this recipe for hamburger buns with my KAF burger bun pan, Alyssa, thank you and please work on more GF Bread Machine recipes.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thank YOU for sharing your tips and success here. I’m sure it means a lot to those who have similar machines. ~ MJ

12. Mary

I can use non-dairy milk and butter, but what can I use instead of eggs? I’m allergic to all of these. I haven’t had bread in 3 yrs. since I found out I was allergic to all dairy, eggs, and gluten, etc. I would love to be able to have some bread. I don’t have a machine either, so I need to be able to do it the old-fashioned way. Thanks!

1. PJ Hamel

Mary, here’s a good starch-based egg replacer, which works well in yeast bread:

For 1 large egg, whisk together the following:

1 1/2 teaspoons tapioca starch
      1 1/2 teaspoons potato starch
      1/4 teaspoon baking powder
      1/8 teaspoon (a big pinch) xanthan gum
      3 tablespoons cold water
      Let sit for 10 minutes, then whisk until it appears lighter; the mixture will increase in volume a bit.

Good luck – PJH

13. MaryAnnH1

Is there a way to make gluten-free bread without all the starches? I want to enjoy bread again, but am diabetic and the carb load for the gluten-free mixes and most recipes is too heavy for me to consume. I have a bread machine (old-Westbend). I have used the bread mix, but would really like to see whether I can make bread without the potato, tapioca and corn starches. Can you help me? ~Mary Ann

Unfortunately, we have not had much success with using coconut or almond flours to make bread. The starches work best to produce a soft, slice-able texture. You may have luck searching online for such a recipe, it’s possible that someone out there has figured out a good blend that will work better for you. Jon@KAF

14. Sherrill

I noticed in one of the comments above you listed the knead/rise times, etc. of the Zojirushi machine. I have a Cuisinart with a gluten free setting with knead 1 and knead 2 total rise time of 23 minutes and a rise time of 48 minutes with no further rise or knead times. Not sure if this recipe will work on this machine. It’s frustrating to see so many gluten free bread machine recipes so dependant on the brand of machine. Thanks so much.

Sherrill, you are more than welcome to try this recipe with your machine even though the timing of the cycles is different. The final texture of the bread may be slightly different going from machine to machine, but you may find that you find the results pleasing anyways. Give it a go and if you find that it doesn’t give you the gluten-free loaf you are hoping for, try setting a homemade cycle using the times given in the comments above. Still stuck? Don’t hesitate to call us at 855-371-BAKE. We’re here to help. Kye@KAF

15. Patti Lindley

Do you have a GF yeast free bread recipe? I have been looking for one for my granddaughter. Most use just almond flour however they are so dense and greasy. I have used your GF flour recipe for other baked goods and was hoping you would have one for bread. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I’m sorry, we do not have a recipe for a yeast free gluten free bread. However, I will pass on the suggestion to the test kitchen! Jon@KAF

16. Sharon

Tried a loaf of gluten free a few months ago when I first got my new Zo with a gluten-free setting. It came out well, but after reading this blog, was anxious to try to improve on the results. I added the suggested 4th egg and extra ounce of GF flour, layering ingredients in the bread machine as instructed. The whole thing rose, and the texture was great, but the top of the loaf was indented and completely flat – it looked like a rectangular tart waiting to be filled with something. Plus the flavor was a bit too eggy for our taste. Makes ok toast, but will go back to original recipe next time. Thanks anyway – please keep the tips coming!

17. Mayank

You Girls are AWESOME! Keep up the good work. You both inspire me and I am so iemresspd with what you are doing and LOVE LOVE LOVE the recipes. Going to try the pumpkin fudge tomorrow!!! ) Lisa L

18. Sylvia "Lynn" Myers

Help! My granddaughter is coming for the holidays and eats only GF foods. I have converted most of my long time recipes to GF. However, I haven’t come up with a good solution for my French bread.
    I just made the KAF recipe for Praline French Toast and it was fantastic. I would like to serve it when my granddaughter and her bow come, But I haven’t found a recipe that I think will work. Does any one have any suggestions for a bread with the texture of French or Italian baguettes? Sandwich slices seem like they would be too soft and gummy.

1. PJ Hamel

You know what, Lynn? GF sandwich loaves, in general, aren’t soft and gummy; they’re more stiff and a bit dry (especially once they’re 24 hours old), and I think they’d work in this recipe just fine. Try our GF Sandwich Bread recipe; I think you’ll be pleased. PJH

19. Colleen H

I just wanted to know if I can make gluten free bread in a bread machine that does not have a gluten free button. I am wondering because I have a bread machine that works really well and I can’t afford to buy another bread machine. Thanks for any help and/or advice you can give me.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Colleen,
      If you refer back to the first comment on this blog, the times are listed for using a regular bread machine. Hope that helps you. ~ MJ

20. Julia

Hi, I was wondering if using olive oil or another healthier fat than butter would work in this recipe?

Thanks!

Feel free to substitute your favorite oil into this recipe–coconut, olive oil, or any type of vegetable oil will do. Just note that some of the stronger flavored oils, like olive oil may come through in the final loaf. (That can be a great thing if you like the flavor of olive oil!) Happy baking! Kye@KAF

21. Leah A

If anyone misses the foccacia bread they used to enjoy at Macaroni Grill dipped in delicious olive oil and fresh cracked pepper…..
    Make the gluten free bread mix with olive oil, add 1tsp fresh chopped rosemary and 1Tbs fresh chopped basil during the last 30 seconds of mixing. finish the second raise in a 9 inch square stoneware baking dish lightly oiled with olive oil, instead of patting top with water, use olive oil and a pastry brush. Bake 45 min, Remember to share

22. Mona Pomeroy

I do not have a bread machine. I would like a gluten free bread recipe for doing it by hand, please.

The directions for this gluten free breaduse a stand mixer, but you can make it by hand knowing that it will take a lot of stirring (read arm-muscle-building here!) to get a loaf of bread. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

23. Julia

I’ve made this bread a couple of times and I love the taste and texture, but it keeps falling in when it bakes which makes it very hard to cut. It rises perfectly and then falls during baking. I’ve made the suggested adjustments of extra flour and egg. I have a cuisinart bread machine and use the gluten free setting. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Julia, when bread collapses in the oven, it’s a sign of over-rising. Cut back on the time you allow it to rise, and it should do the trick. Bryanna@KAF

24. Lairie

THANK YOU for bread that actually simulates bread. We have only been doing gluten free sensitive for several months. I used to make bread in my bread machine regularly, but had not found a receipe that worked. Today we had a wonderful, moist loaf of sandwich bread. I look forward to trying other receipts that will provide similar results.

Clive, we tend to use xanthan gum in our baking rather than psyllium husk or psyllium powder. However, you’re welcome to give it a shot if you like; you’ll only need a small amount to replace the xanthan gum. See if you like the result! Kye@KAF

25. Ane

What size loaf does this make? I just bought a machine that makes 1.5 or 2 pound loans, you must select it with your other settings before starting. Thank you so much for this recipe. I’m excited to try it, win or fail.

Ane, this will make a roughly 2 lb loaf. Just be sure your machine also has a dedicated gluten-free course too! Hope this helps. Mollie@KAF

2. Ane

Thank you for replying! It does. It’s a Wolfgang Puck machine. His son can’t have gluten so it was important for his machine to have a dedicated gluten-free setting.

26. Karen

Thank you so much for the recipe. I have the Zoj Virtuoso and made the bread exactly as directed and it was the best GF bread I’ve had in a long while! Do you have a recipe for a GF multigrain type bread, similar to this one? I would be delighted!

We sure do, Karen! Try our Gluten-free Whole-Gran Bread and see how you like the taste. The nutty whole-grain flours add a delicious depth of flavor. Yum. Kye@KAF

Gluten-free flour blends can vary drastically by brand–both the ingredients and the way they behave in baking. We recommend using our Gluten-Free Flour in this recipe for best results, but if you use something else on hand, check out the ingredient list to ensure it is similar to our recipe for brown rice flour blend. (Avoid anything with xanthan gum already mixed into it.) Good luck and happy GF baking! Kye@KAF