Gluten-Free Berry Crisp: four ways

Sweet, bubbling berries under a crisp topping? Sounds like the making of a perfect berry crisp to me!

And while berry crisps are traditionally served during the summer, when berries are at their peak of freshness, I love knowing that you can enjoy this simple dessert year round. My trick? Pick extra berries during the summer and freeze them so you can enjoy this wonderfully light dessert in the middle of winter. I promise, it will do wonders for your winter blues.

Today, rather than just sharing my favorite berry crisp recipe, I’m actually going to show you how to make a gluten-free berry crisp four different ways. All simple, all easy – and all delicious.

How to make the ultimate Gluten-Free Berry Crisp via @kingarthurflour

First, we’ll start with the filling. I like to use a mix of berries, but you can use whatever you have on hand – fresh or frozen. Combine the following:

4 cups (1 quart) berries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1/4 cup sugar

Mix these ingredients together in a bowl and transfer them to an 8″ or 9″ cast iron skillet (or 8” square baking dish or 9″ pie pan) and prepare your toppings. When topped, bake the crisp in a preheated 375°F oven for 25 to 45 minutes, until the berries are bubbling and the topping has started to brown (bake the shorter amount of time for fresh berries, longer for frozen).

And now for the fun part. Here are the four different gluten-free toppings:

Gluten-Free Berry Crumble via @kingarthurflour

1. Classic Gluten-Free Berry Crisp

To start, we’re going in the crumble direction. Just a simple blend of King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour, butter, and sugar, it’s almost like a fluffy biscuit on top of the berries.

Gluten-Free Berry Crumble via @kingarthurflourHere’s what you’ll need:

1 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix these ingredients together with your hands or a pastry cutter until the butter is incorporated but there are still large pieces remaining. Sprinkle over the berries and bake.

Gluten-Free Triple Berry Crisp via @kingarthurflour

2. Gluten-Free Oatmeal Crisp

My second option uses a blend of oats, brown sugar, butter, and spices. I love how crisp it gets, and the spices pair perfectly with the berries.

Gluten-Free Triple Berry Crisp via @kingarthurflourHere’s what you’ll need:

2 cup gluten-free rolled oats (make sure to use certified gluten-free certified if you have a severe allergy)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into chunks

Mix together the dry ingredients. Add the butter, working it into the mixture until incorporated. Sprinkle over the berries and bake.

Gluten-Free Granola Crisp via @kingarthurflour

3. Gluten-Free Granola Crisp

I love this option for when you’re short on time and don’t want to worry about mixing together a bunch of ingredients. Just use your favorite flavor of granola, mix it with a little butter and flour, and you have the perfect crisp topping.

Gluten-Free Granola Crisp via @kingarthurflourHere’s what you’ll need:

2 cups granola (any variety)
2 tablespoons King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into chunks

Mix together the granola and flour, then work in the butter until it’s incorporated and the mixture becomes a little clumpy. Sprinkle over the berries, and bake.

grain-free-berry-crisp-10

4. Grain-Free Berry Crisp

Last but not least, this completely grain-free option is simply delicious. Using almonds, some coconut oil, and maple syrup, it’s healthy, easy, and tastes so good that I actually enjoy eating it for breakfast!

Grain-Free Berry Crisp via @kingarthurflourHere are the ingredients:

2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup chopped almonds (or nuts of your choice)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup

Whisk together the flour, almonds, and spices. Stir in the coconut oil, then add the maple syrup one tablespoon at a time, until the mixture begins to come together and form clumps. Squeeze the mixture together with your fingers a little as your spread it over the berries – so you have a few larger pieces – and bake.

And now it’s time to dig in! Enjoy these berry crisps, and make sure to leave us a comment letting us know which ones you’ve tried!

Grain-Free Berry Crisp via @kingarthurflour

Please bake, rate, and review our Gluten-Free Berry Crisp recipe.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Tommy Ray

I am forwarding this post. It will go to a cousin who is glucose intolerant.
    I have 24 first cousins on one side of the family. Some are cousins. Several are very good friends.
    There is a difference. Some I would send a 5 pound bag of flour, some I will send this to.
    Tommy

2. Adina

In a day or two, we are going on a trip, with alot of camping. Could you bake this crisp in a dutch oven over hot coals? Sounds like the perfect campfire dessert.

Haven’t tried it that way, Adina. Let us know how it works for you. Jon@KAF

2. Karen

I haven’t used these recipes, but I’ve planned lots of gluten free crisps, cobblers and dump cakes in a dutch oven. My 6 cubs scouts would assemble them. They never noticed their entire camp outs were gluten free.

3. Mrs Anthony

I did just that and they turned out awesoely. I also made this as muffins in hot coals..in a cast iron muffin pan.. also.. delectable.

For each pound of rhubarb, use 1/2 cup (4 ounces) of sugar. A bit of fresh orange, or grated fresh ginger adds a nice zip to the rhubarb flavor! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

Use 3-4 cups of peeled and sliced apples- enough to fill the pan you’re using. A sprinkle of nutmeg and you’re good to go! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

3. Margaret

Thank you so much. I only wish I had yesterday when I made blackberry crisp, but it wasn’t nearly as delicious sounding as this.

It’s a keeper for next time.

4. Nancy

Thanks and these all sound delicious!! Will certainly try them.
    I’d also love to see some carb free version so.

5. Andrea

i used variation #1 and made it precisely according to the recipe, with fresh delicious blueberries. It was not great. The crumbly part never did anything other than stay like flour. Not great flavor or texture. I’ve never been so disappointed in a King Arthur recipe or product.
    Made it for company and it was embarrassing.

There are 4 options for crisp topping here, classic or biscuit like, oatmeal, granola and grain free. Your version #1 must have been the classic or biscuit like. The GF flour, butter and sugar are crumbled, and mixed with the juices from the berries to make the topping, no liquid added like a true biscuit. The good thing about crisp is that it is a homespun, not a fussy presentation, and should be enjoyed for it’s simplicity. If you’d like a true drop biscuit for topping, this might be best. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

2. lisa

same here. total disappointment as I made it this morning to take to a fouth of july picnic. it’s all flour-y on top and not edible. waste of really good berries, too!

We are sorry for the disappointment, Lisa. I am not sure which topping you chose to do. We would love to discuss it further with you. Please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-BAKE (Monday-Friday 7:00am-9:00pm EST, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am-5:00pm), and we’d be happy to provide you with further assistance at that time. Elisabeth@KAF

4. Kara

I’m in agreement with these ladies who used variation #1. The classic “crisp” is more like a cobbler than crisp. There is way too much flour because the “sprinkle the topping over the filling” covered the entire filling…not like the minimal amounts in the pictures above. The flour texture pervaded the dessert. Will never make that recipe again.

We’re sorry to hear this didn’t work well for you, Kara. It’s possible you had an especially heavy 1.5 cups of flour (easy to get when measuring by volume), which would lead to a slightly drier topping and slightly more of it. If you haven’t already, you might want to check out our video on measuring flour http://bit.ly/1Q2PToo We also hope that one of the other topping choices better meets your tastes! Mollie@KAF

6. Ann

I made the fourth variation, since it was also dairy-free (can be served with a kosher meat meal). The family thought it was a bit on the bland side the first time (we wanted to give it a test run before serving it for company), but I added some nutmeg along with the cinnamon the second time around and it gave it just enough bite. An excellent addition to our recent Rosh Hashanah dinner.

Glad this recipe worked well for your Rosh Hashanah dinner, Ann! And a very Happy New Year to you and yours! Barb@KAF

7. Joanna Davis

I have to agree with Lisa, Andrea and Kay. This recipe, variation #1, has too much flour. Made it for company, just dry and my juicy berries did not make a difference.
    I will try it again. Measured my flour carefully the first time, seasoned baker 71 years old, next time I will adjust the amount of flour down, increase the amount of berries, add some spice and see what happens.
    Love your site, have made all my breads and baked goods with your flour for years. When I was Dx with gluten intolerance more than three months ago, it changed my life. However, I have 20#’s of unopened King Arthur wheat flours I can no longer use. Perhaps I can gift them to my friends. Have made several of your gluten free recipes with great success. I am learning that you sometimes have to experiment with recipes, no matter how good they may seem.
    I was impressed to find out, when I called, that all your gluten free products are made in a gluten free dedicated factory, yea! Joanna

Joanna, we’re glad to hear you’re an avid baker and that you have continued to bake from scratch in light of your recent diagnosis. (By the way, I think your friends would be thrilled to receive the gift of flour! It’s a gift that keeps on giving.) We recommend fluffing and sprinkling your flour into the measuring cup before leveling it off with a knife to prevent the flour from compacting. If you’re looking to make a super-juicy and moist crisp, then you may want to hold back on some of the flour or try the oatmeal version of this recipe. This version is my personal favorite because of the chewy oats and buttery struesel chunks. Keep up the good work, Joanna! Kye@KAF

8. Sara

Delicious!! May be worth switching the oat-heavy recipe to be the first. Sounds like that’s what people are looking for. It’s delightful. Made it with berries last week and just got some apples to try this week. Don’t want to live without it.

9. Joan

I agree with all the others. I had the same problem, twice, with variation # 1. Added, cinnamon and increased the butter the second time. Really makes enough topping for twice the berries. Still, even the second time, it didn’t hold together to “crumble” nicely on top. I was drawn to the recipe because of it’s simplicity and the fact that it calls for so little sweetening.( since sugars of any sort are inflammatory).
    Disappointed.

We’re sorry to hear the topping didn’t come out as streusely-delicious as you had hoped it would. We’ve passed your feedback forward to our recipe testers to look into. We’ll be sure to make a note on the recipe if turns out some adjustments are required. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Kye@KAF