Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll: welcoming the new season

Pumpkin.

It’s that quintessential fall flavor that we love to anticipate. In lattes and cookies and even candies, we celebrate this tasty fruit until our taste buds can’t take it anymore.

And then it transitions into our favorite flavor to complain about!

I can understand the burnout, but I’m certainly of the mind that there’s no such thing as too much spiced pumpkin. But wouldn’t it be nice to have a pumpkin treat that will never grow old?!

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present to you the pumpkin dessert of your dreams. This Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll ticks off all my fall-and-pumpkin-themed boxes. It’s all of the following:

1. Filled with cream cheese. Sometimes I wish it were a vegetable… so I could eat it all the time.
2. Crazy stunning, but surprisingly easy. Seriously, parchment makes everything better.
3. Packed with spiced pumpkin flavor. Go big or go home, right?

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease and line a or standard 10″ x 15″ or a 9 1/2″ x 14″ jelly roll pan with parchment paper.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

In a small bowl, whisk together:
3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or a mixture of cloves, ginger, and allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, beat together 3 large eggs and 1 cup sugar until thick, fluffy, and light in color. Mix in 2/3 cup pumpkin purée. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflourPour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Bake the cake for 14 to 16 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly touched. Remove the cake from the oven, and allow it to cool in the pan for 2 minutes.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

Loosen the edges with a knife or spatula. Lightly spray a second piece of parchment and invert the cake on top. Kind of like a parchment/cake sandwich.

Using those two pieces of parchment, roll the cake up from the short end.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

Allow it to cool completely, wrapped in the parchment.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

To make the filling, mix together 8 ounces of cream cheese and 6 tablespoons of butter until fluffy and well combined.

Add 1 cup of confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.

How to make Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

To assemble the cake, carefully unroll it and spread it with the frosting. Don’t stress too much if a crack or two forms. The sweet cream cheese will act like glue and keep it all together.

Re-roll the filled cake, and place it seam-side down on a serving plate.

A trick I learned in all my experience making rolled cakes is to slide a serving plate underneath the parchment right at the end of the rolling. It’ll roll off the parchment and onto the plate pretty perfectly. Saves you having to use your fingers or a spatula and potentially messing something up!

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll via @kingarthurflour

I find that this pumpkin cream cheese roll looks even better with a bit of a confectioners’ sugar dusted on top. It’s also a great dessert to make and freeze for when company is coming. Just pull it out an hour before guests arrive, then dust it with sugar just before the grand reveal.

The pumpkin season is upon us. Go ahead and indulge!

Please, bake, rate, and review our recipe for Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll.

Print just the recipe.

Gwen Adams

Gwen Adams grew up in northern New Hampshire, on top of a mountain, surrounded by nature and not much else. After graduating from Lyndon State College in 2010, Gwen sought a career that combined her passion for writing with her love of baking. She found ...

comments

The cake batter has 1 c. of sugar and the filling has 1 c. of confectioners sugar. We’d be happy to provide you with further assistance if needed so feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-BAKE (Monday-Friday 7:00am-9:00pm EST, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am-5:00pm). Elisabeth@KAF

1. Lucretia Naughton

I make these with a big can of pumpkin. My similar recipe calls for a scant 2/3’s of pumpkin. I get 6 from a large can, or 3 from a small can. The point is, they freeze really well. I use plastic wrap, then aluminium foil on the outside. Really great around the fall holidays, to have extra in the freezer!

Click on the link at the top of the post that will bring you to the actual recipe–it’s orange and can be found underneath the top most (mouth-watering) photo. Then you will see a “Printer Friendly” link next to a small printer icon on the right hand side of the page that should give you what you are looking for. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

2. Laura

I saw this recipe in my Facebook feed this morning and had to try it! I’ve always been intimidated by rolled cakes, but the description made it sound easy and it was! I cut the cake into slices and it made a beautiful arrangement on a platter. The end pieces were a bit messy, so of course I had to try one. Absolutely delicious.

We’re so glad to hear this post gave you the confidence you needed to try your hand at a roule cake! It is a wonderful skill to have mastered as the holiday season approaches. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

3. Rachel M

Wow. That looks great! 😀 Glad to have another pumpkin option- I love it in pumpkin bread and pie, and the cream cheese filling makes this SO appealing. I can see this making a Thanksgiving appearance. 😉

If I added raisins or finely chopped walnuts to the cake, how would it affect the roll-ability? Or would I be better off adding the nuts (toasted) to the cream cheese? And would it make the cream cheese layer too thick, since it would add bulk?

Feel free to add 1/2 cup of toasted walnuts to the cream cheese filling if you like. Be sure that you chop them somewhat finely to prevent any large bumps or too bulky of a filling. Be sure you allow the nuts to cool completely before adding them to the mixture, and save a few for sprinkling on top along with the powdered sugar! Kye@KAF

The 1 cup of sugar needed for the cake gets beaten in with the 3 eggs! It’s listed above the photo of the unbaked cake batter spread out into the jelly roll pan. We hope you give this recipe a try! Kye@KAF

We haven’t had a chance to try it yet. You may need a bit of xanthan gum and another egg… check out some of our other GF blog posts for recipe adjustments and ideas. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

4. Denise

i make these every year. While my cake is still in the pan, I dust it with powdered sugar, then I place cheesecloth over the top and place a cookie sheet on top . Then I flip the cake onto the cheesecloth and roll it and let it completely cool. Spread with cream cheese and then roll it up. Wrap in wax paper then aluminum foil for freezing.

5. barbara n

When not if i make this i ‘m going to sub your fiori for the vanilla which is what I do in cream cheese frosting, so so good!

I do the same thing when I make my carrot cakes. Everyone is wonders what that flavor is. Do you tell them? Elisabeth@KAF

6. schris132

I’ve thought about filling this with softened vanilla ice cream and then of course keeping it in the freezer (my mom used to make a chocolate roll and fill it with ice cream and it was so yummy). What do you think about this?

I think that sounds like a fabulous idea. How about cinnamon ice cream? We have a recipe for recipeon our site. Good luck! Elisabeth@KAF

7. Karen S.

Years ago a woman in our church worked as an elementary school aide and she would make pumpkin cream cheese rolls during September and early October and freeze them. She would then take orders, and between Halloween and Thanksgiving she would deliver them to parents, teachers, administrators and we church folks. She was able to finance a very nice Christmas most years from the proceeds of her pumpkin cream cheese rolls!

8. Ashley Seville

You really need to put a complete ingredient list… especially for those wanting to shop for this… we shouldn’t have to read through the recipe to make sure we have all the ingredients

Hello Ashley – We are sorry you had some trouble finding the recipe. At the top of the blog page underneath the picture of the finished roll you see a link that takes you right to the recipe. No need to scroll down into the body of the blog searching for those ingredients! That being said, the ingredient that is not listed is the confectioners sugar used for the finishing touches. We hope you will try the recipe soon! Elisabeth@KAF

9. Kalisa

Hm, I made the KAF pumpkin cheesecake last year for a friend’s Thanksgiving dinner and might be called on again. This would be a great new recipe to try, especially with the pumpkin ice cream recipe I saw in the latest catalogue. Going to be hard to top myself next year, though!

1. PJ Hamel

Sure; the cake rolls just fine without any filling at all, so use just as much (or little) as you like. Enjoy – PJH

10. Kellie

Well, I went for it and made my first roll up of any sort. Your recipe and directions made it very easy and my final product came out looking just like your photo! Thank you for the great directions and easy enough recipe! My son and daughter have always enjoyed this treat, but it has been store bought. I can’t wait to surprise them with this homemade treat!!

11. Pam Wood

I confess to baker ineptness; what can I do to cover up some cracks in the cake when I rolled it? I was thinking white chocolate or cinnamon morsels, melted and slathered on the cake and refrigerated til it set. What do you suggest?

Hi Pam – Cracks happen! That is why most logs/rolls are covered with frosting, ganache or whipped cream. I recommend covering with some sweetened whipped cream with a light sifting of cinnamon. Perfect! Elisabeth@KAF

12. AnneCD

I followed the directions but when I unrolled my log after cooling, it was in quite a few horizontal pieces??? I brought everything together with the cream cheese filling but when it was cut, it resembled a mosaic art piece rather than a roll. It still tasted delicious but any hints to avoid my roll breaking into pieces? Is it possible I rolled it too tight?

It sounds like your cake may have been a bit over-baked if it was breaking as you described. Jon@KAF

Since the cake calls for 1 cup granulated sugar and the filling also uses 1 cup of sugar (confectioners), it may be best to use a recipe written specifically for the products you listed rather than sub them in this recipe. You still want the cake to be pliable and soft enough to roll, and the filling to spread easily – so using a recipe that’s been tried and tested by those manufacturers will be best during this busy baking season. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

13. Marjorie Zimmerman

I Mary,

I found the recipe for the Pumpkin Roll on your web. I will use the parchment. also have the baking pan you showed with not much luck but will try again as you are showing. you answered my question on the parchment paper My recipe calls for dusting a towel with powdered sugar then put the cake out on it and roll it with the towel You directions sound much better and less mess.
    I am anxious to try your recipe also which calls for more pumpkin.
    Marjorie

14. Kelly Wilhelm

Im complaining about the recipe, and it not saying to spray the paper. We sparyed the pan than layed the paper on it. Please be more clear next time. Looking back the instructions make sense but at the time they clearly didn’t. 🙂

1. MaryJane Robbins

Sorry for any confusion, Kelly, we’ll try to make things as easy to understand as possible. ~ MJ

15. Judy

I have never made a rolled cake but I have questions – what is the purpose of rolling the cake and then unrolling it later, adding the filling and re-rolling it? Couldn’t you just add the filling and roll it up once?

Judy, the cake needs to be rolled initially so that it cools and sets in the shape of the roll. If you tried to only roll it once after the cake cooled, it would be very delicate and possibly break. If you roll the cake when its warm from the oven, it’s more pliable. We hope you give this recipe a try! Kye@KAF

16. Barbara Paul

I have been making these rolls for years. I like the idea of the Parchment paper,rather then the towel to roll with.. I make one with cherries,( I dry them over night) and use the juice from the cherries instead of vanilla. Then put cherries on top to decorate with on the powered sugar, and some green Creamed cheese mixture for leaves. What a pretty dessert it makes. And very different.

You could try adding a very small amount of pumpkin purée to the cream cheese filling if you like, Orelle (up to 1/4 cup). However, this will make the filling a bit more loose and less sturdy, so it’s more likely to get squished between the layers. Also, part of the appeal of this cake is the beautiful contrast between the white filling and the pumpkin-colored cake, so consider using just a small amount. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

17. Teresa

I love pumpkin rolls also… But I changed it up one day with banana in place of the pumpkin and I couldn’t keep enough made delicious

18. Megan

I’ve had carrot cream cheese rolls like this and like them even more than the pumpkin. What would be your suggestions for substituting carrot for the pumpkin? I think that could be the perfect dessert for Easter.

Megan, you might want to try making a carrot puree by blending it in a high powdered blender (a Vitamix would be ideal). Then you’ll want to drain off any extra liquid by letting the mixture rest in a cheese cloth until it looks like it’s a similar consistency to pumpkin puree. Let us know how it turns out! Kye@KAF