Holiday Baking (and reading): from Sift

Holiday baking is the time when the otherwise humble ingredients flour, butter, sugar and yeast take on great power, as they form the alphabet of a family’s baking history and culture. Bakers everywhere are moving toward the kitchen, with the desire to continue their families’ food traditions, or to invent new ones.

Our new issue of Sift looks to honor the act of mixing and kneading, as every year’s holiday baking forms a connection with the bakers and recipes that have gone before. Join us for a virtual browse of the latest, our Holiday issue.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourThe table of contents is a little like that first peek under the lid of your holiday present after unwrapping.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourAfter checking out what could be for breakfast, and which classic holiday sweet bread to make…Holiday baking via@kingarthurflour

…come outside with us to the top of a ski mountain. At the ski patrol’s home base, called Top Hut, there are secret feasts to discover and enjoy.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourOnce you’re back indoors, put up your feet and do a little armchair traveling to San Francisco, where Josey Baker is grinding his own flour, baking amazing bread, and creating a great vibe in his quest to bake great bread with fresh flour at The Mill.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourBy now you’re probably itching to bake, and we’ve collected a dozen great cookie recipes for you with our blogger cookie swap. Tasty, creative twists and some classic must-haves all gather together so everyone can create a collection of treats for giving and sharing.

We haven’t forgotten Thanksgiving: Check out Sheri Castle’s wonderful riff on some Turkey Day classics, as we drop by her family’s annual feast. The folks at Ovenly show us some of their favorite things to bake with cardamom. We’ve gathered a bevy of beautiful Bundt cakes for you, for an easy entertaining dessert option; and Molly Shuster takes us on a tour of the many amazing delights that can be created with chestnuts.

Our first Holiday Sift ever promises to make the season merry, bright, and very, very tasty.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Tiffany D.

Can’t wait! I’m so happy the magazine is featuring a bakery from San Francisco! I’ve always loved reading about the bakeries on the East coast, but it’s nice to feel the love on the West coast. Now I can visit a bakery I’ve read about!

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Tiffany. We’re working hard to keep an eye on great baking all over the country. South, West, Midwest, everyplace. Stay tuned for more adventures! Susan

2. Carolyn

I have looked in vain for copies of Sift. I live in central NC and shop at Harris Teeter, Kroger, Earth Fare and Whole Foods. No Sift. I’ll keep looking and maybe someday I’ll find a copy to look through and then can decide whether or not to buy it. I do know that I can order copies from you but I really want to see it first.

1. Joanie B

Carolyn–Central NCer here, as well! Chapel Hill/Mebane area. I’ve seen Sift at HT, Walmart, Barnes & Noble, Walgreens and another drugstore in CH. It’s out there, hope you can find one soon! Anxious to see the holiday issue! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Sheri Castle

Carolyn,

I bought copies at Southern Season in Chapel Hill this week. Also, look at the magazine section at the larger Harris Teeters, not at the check out lines.

3. Carolyn

Thank you all for your kind suggestions. I’m in Durham so I can go east to Raleigh or west to Chapel Hill. I was out Saturday but between being focused on my shopping list and stores crowded like it was the day before Thanksgiving, I didn’t look as carefully as I might have. I’ll have to just put Sift on my list and go out looking specifically for it. (I do avoid Southern Season. It always winds up doing a number on my wallet!!. Likewise Barnes & Noble or any other book store.) I do shop regularly at a new big HT but don’t recall ever seeing a magazine section other than at check-out. Time to play detective.

4. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Carolyn. Don’t blame you for limiting Southern Season visits. It’s a dangerous place for food and cooking toy lovers! Susan

3. Judy brekhus

This magazine needs to have an ebook version. I like to buy my magazine to have on my iPad, as I travel from north to south as the seasons change and they don’t forward magazines.

4. Joanne Royal

I love all of the King Arthur flours. I live in Canada but always make the trip to Buffalo NY to purchase. Where can I purchase this magazine in Canada?

Thanks

Joanne

1. lromano77

Joanne…Shoppers drug mart…Independent…Loblaws also carry the magazine. Chapters/Indigo would too. I live an hour east of Toronto.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Don’t give up, Donna. Try Barnes and Noble, Kroger, even some Walmarts have it…

Donna, if you’re looking for the latest issue of Sift, check out places like Target, Walgreens, Whole Foods Market and Barnes & Noble. If you’re still having trouble finding it, please give us a call or check out our website to order it without a shipping fee! Bryanna@KAF

5. Pamela

I live in Canada but am in Lancaster PA for a convention next week, any idea where I might find it besides (maybe) Walmart?

“Sift” is available at most major grocery chains and bookstores, including: Whole Foods, Walmart, Costco, Barnes and Noble, and Sam’s Club. Jon@KAF

1. Brenda

I would love to know more about what kind of gluten free recipes are included… to help me decide if it’s worth purchasing. Would love it if you had a separate magazine (even if only in digital format) strictly for gluten free baking!

Brenda, in the Holiday issue there is an article written by Gesine Bullock-Prado that includes 4 holiday recipes with both a gluten-free and a vegan version for each recipe, and altogether there are more than 20 gluten-free recipes in this issue! Barb@KAF

6. Pam Wood

I love the recipe for the Almond Apricot Coffeecake; however, the picture definitely shows an icing and almonds on the cake and the recipe does not include this step. ๐Ÿ™

Under the directions for the glaze, there is recipe for the glaze, and directions for topping it with the toasted almonds. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

7. Karen

I’ve been on the lookout here in Seattle for this magazine, but having no luck. And pretty sure if I subscribe now, I won’t be on the subscription list early enough to get this current holiday issue. Suggestions?

8. eldertonlisa

I love this book i have all 3 i had to order the first one but now they have it in my walmart here in nj i hug the book when i find it. the holiday book is wonderful i just love love love this book

Hello Terry, I removed your address from your comment to protect your privacy. Please call our customer care line to order “Sift”, we’re unable to do so via blog. Our number is 1-800-827-6836 Jon@KAF

9. Donna Koch

Got my copy at Costco in Sterling, love this magazine!! It is so beautiful!! Thanks so much for giving us this fabulous magazine. Can’t wait to get started on some of the recipes!!

Kathy, SIFT is available at Safeway Canada and Metro Ontario Inc in Canada, as well as Sobeys and Real Atlantic Superstores. Barb@KAF

10. Ann Taylor

I swore I was NOT going to bake a ton of stuff for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year! I’m thinking that’s not going to be the case once I see this magazine! I love King Arthur products – you are my downfall, and I love it. My family, friends and neighbors love it too as they receive the goodies that are created in my kitchen!

11. Fran Daniel

King Arthur is the best! Who else reads cookbooks for fun! I always see new ideas in Sift!
    Ordering my copy today! Happy Holidays and Happy Baking!

Over 20 gluten-free recipes in the holiday issue! We hope you pick it up and give some of those recipes a try! Kye@KAF

12. Charlene Sutherby

I bought the first Sift Edition when it came out at our local Meijer Store and have not seen it since. Can you tell me who is selling it in our area. I really liked the magazine.

Charlene, Meijer stores are on our list of stores carrying SIFT, so I’m not sure why you haven’t been able to find the subsequent issues. Kroger stores also should have it, as well as Barnes & Noble. You can also order SIFT through our website, with no shipping charge. Barb@KAF

13. Lucy

Thank you for the holiday issue of SIFT. I need to eat gluten free but bought it, period. I want to support KAF’s new venture at least for this holiday issue. I and every other serious baker or creative eater can benefit immensely from the power of the creativity from cover to cover. I have found, also as a professional baker, chef, teacher that my ability and creativity is always enhanced by taking the brave step to buy one or two holiday publications. I call it my Christmas gift to myself . I am going to gorge hypothetically on chestnuts and at the very least have bedtime reading which will only bring sweet dreams. Thank you again, I can only imagine all the work that went into creating this issue. It is a wise purchase for anyone, ignore those naysayers. Like they need to know the story before they buy the book, hogwash!
    Happy Baking Holidays KAF!!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Thanks so much, Lucy. And the Chestnut Pavlova is GF, so you can indulge yourself there! Best wishes to you for your holiday season. Susan

14. Maryon

For other Canadians who might want to pick up a copy of SIFT I found it in Toronto at both Walmart and Indigo books this past weekend. I was so pleased to find it. I called KAF customer service who told me it is not available in Canada but decided to look for it just in case and was so glad I did. Thank you, KAF for making it available to us. It would have cost $18 to have a copy mailed to me and I just couldn’t justify it.

Thanks for this! We’re pleased to have fans in Canada who can find the publication easily! Laurie@KAF

15. Kathy Jones

I made the Belgian White Ale Cookies today from the new Sift Magazine. They are wonderful!! I will be making these for many years to come!!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Kathy! Isn’t great to make a new recipe friend? Thanks for letting us know! Susan

16. Jack Meyers

I love your sift magazine and I have a question concerning some of the breads Martin Phillip has featured in the article about him. What is he sifting over the breads to make the designs for them. Is it flour, sugar, something else? Great photographs btw.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Jack. The stenciling on the breads is done with a flour that matches the flour used in the loaf. Thanks for the good words! Susan