The Perfect Apple Pie: Tips for mastering a classic dessert

I consider any month to be a good time for pie, but November is a particularly notable time for pie to shine. Between the peak apple harvest just behind us and Thanksgiving dessert just ahead of us, pie is poised for its moment in November.

Today I want to talk about apple pie. Specifically, what makes a perfect apple pie? Unlike blank-canvas desserts like ice cream or layer cake, apple pie is a simple classic we rarely tinker with. Instead of reinventing it with creative flavors or techniques, we can focus on nailing the fundamentals.

A word on the recipe: You likely have a favorite pie crust recipe, and feel free to use that! I’m using our Best Apple Pie recipe here, which is a wonderful basic crust and filling. I’ll share some tips that I use to make an apple pie, but keep in mind that these are just suggestions for you to try out in your kitchen. You might have your own methods (and I’d love to hear them in the comments).

Truly, the best way to master pie is practice. Get in the kitchen and start baking! Try this recipe and these tips, and experiment until you find what works best for you. Our guides to pie baking and pie crust are an excellent resource, with tips for even the most seasoned pie bakers.

Let’s start with the crust. Any basic pie crust recipe will work, but for the Best Apple Pie crust, you’ll need:

2 cups King Arthur Pastry Blend or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
heaping 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter (very cold)
3 to 5 tablespoons ice cold water

Whisk together the flour and salt. Cut the cold butter in with a pastry cutter or fork until it resembles coarse lumps. Drizzle the ice water in slowly, starting with 3 tablespoons and adding more as you need it, until the dough comes together in a ball.

Gather it together, divide it in half (here are some tips on dough division), press each half into a disc, and refrigerate (wrapped in plastic wrap) for at least 30 minutes.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflourNow, on to the filling. You’ll need:

9 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons Apple Pie Spice (I used a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves because I love ginger!)
1/4 cup Boiled Cider
1/4 cup King Arthur Pie Filling Enhancer (or substitute 1 to 2 tablespoons Instant Clearjel or King Arthur Flour Unbleached All-Purpose Flour)
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Begin by prepping your apples and placing them in a large bowl. You’ll see I have apples of all shapes and sizes: I like using a mix of varieties to keep the flavor and texture interesting. Apple pie will be delicious regardless, but I suggest finding the best apples you can get your hands on. Go apple picking! Go to a farmers’ market! They’re wildly more flavorful than what you can find at a supermarket usually.

Now, here’s where I diverge from the recipe slightly. The main concern with fruit pies is a soggy crust. This happens because the fruit filling releases lots of liquid as the pie bakes, which soaks the crust and prevents it from staying crisp and flaky.

Most recipes include a thickener in the filling to help firm up all that liquid. This recipe calls for Pie Filling Enhancer, which is a type of starch combined with sweetener and ascorbic acid. You can also use Instant Clearjel (the same type of starch), or you can just use flour if you want.

Flour has slightly less thickening power, but it will still be effective.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

I add in one extra step to prevent a soggy crust. I slice my apples and toss them with just the sugar, salt, spices, and lemon juice (no boiled cider, no thickener). Then I let them sit and macerate for up to 2 hours. If you’re in a hurry, you can absolutely skip this step, or just let them sit for as long as you can.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

While they sit, the apples will start to release some of their juices. When you’re ready to bake, take the liquid at the bottom of the bowl and put it in a small saucepan (you can also do this in the microwave). Depending on the type of apples, you may have as little as 1/4 cup or as much as 1/2 cup. It doesn’t look like much, but it makes a difference! Add the boiled cider and cook the liquid until it has reduced by about half and thickened into a syrup. Don’t let it get too thick: It should be easily pourable.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

Now, add the flour or Pie Filling Enhancer to the sliced apples. Roll out your crust and place the prepared apples into the crust. Drizzle the syrupy reduced apple liquid over the filling and top with the second crust.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

This method proactively reduces the amount of liquid that the apples will release while baking, and it also adds a wonderful concentrated, almost caramelized, apple flavor to the filling. The boiled cider adds an additional depth of apple flavor, creating a pie that’s far more rich and decadent tasting than a regular apple pie, without adding extra sugar or anything else!

Even if you don’t follow this extra step of reducing down the liquid, this particular recipe will still be more flavorful than most because of the boiled cider.

A general life tip: boiled cider is exceptionally good drizzled over ice cream or stirred into thick whole milk yogurt. Some might say dangerously good.

When you top the pie with your second crust, you can either use a full crust or decorative topping like lattice or a design. I prefer a full crust because, to be honest, that means more crust for me to eat!

Be sure to cut slits in the top of your pie if you use a full top crust. This allows steam to escape, which prevents the top crust from getting soggy and soft.

Apple pie via @kingarthurflour

Bake the pie in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375°F and bake for an additional 45 minutes. The pie is ready when it’s golden brown and the juices are bubbling.

You’d be wise to bake your pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any rogue drips of filling.

Let the pie cool for at least 15 minutes, and then serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. If you can resist eating the entire thing, save a slice or two in the refrigerator to eat chilled for breakfast.

A cold slice of apple pie on a misty, chilly November morning is one of life’s greatest small pleasures. Here’s the recipe; find out for yourself!

comments

1. John

I have the crust part down reasonably well, it’s the apples that I’m playing with. I recently baked a pie with Honey Crisp apples. When the pie appeared to be done out it came. However when it cooled down and we dug in, the apples were still quite firm. I’ve learned a lot about how apples cook from making sauce. I throw in a lot of different varieties and it’s interesting to see which cook down quickly and which take a long time.

Any tips on knowing when a pie has been in the oven long enough?
    Other than the paring knife trick which failed me on that last pie : )

John,
      If you prefer your apple pie to have a soft texture, you might consider using apples like Macintosh, which soften quickly while baking. Or if you like the flavor of apples like Honey Crisp, you can either make note to cook the pie for longer (covering the top with tin foil if it starts to brown too fast) or you could cook the filling slightly in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes or over medium-low heat on the stove top before adding it to the crust. This will begin the cooking process so it doesn’t all have to be done in the oven. There’s no magic bullet for knowing when your pie is done, but look for those bubbling juices and an internal temperature of around 175 degrees. Happy pie baking! Kye@KAF

2. Kathy Fernaays

John, I simply use a thin metal skewer or a wooden toothpick and insert through several of the slits in the top crust, down through the apples. Probably like tour paring knife method but this has worked for me. I concentrate on the apples closest to the center as those seem to take longer to become tender. Once the pick goes easily through the apples, I know the pie is ready to come out of the oven.

3. connie thayer

I have found that fruit pies are done when they have risen up a bit and then dropped down.It is more difficult to tell with a full crust pie. I have found no better way for apple than to use a knife.

4. Tommy Straw

Although the procedure is time consuming, bake the apple slices on a rimmed cookie sheet BEFORE filling the pie. This assures that the apples will be adequately cooked and that the filling will not shrink under the top crust and leave a large hole between the crust and the filling. Me, I prefer Johnathon apples as they are flavorful and the slices retain their shape during baking. And…that’s the way my mother baked apple pies!

5. eileen

John,
      When I use Honey Crisp apples in a pie I slice them really thin. I also use Rome and Stayman in the pie, to give it a softer consistency. But the Honey Crisp won’t cook well if they are sliced too thick.

2. Monica

I too have been trying different apples in my pies, and have found that the best combination for me is a mix of Cortland and Macoun. The Macouns are a bit more crunchy than the Cortlands, but if I slice the apples really, really thin – maybe 1/8 in., all of the apples are completely baked at the same time. I’ve also been successful doing this with a few Granny Smiths in the mix, if they are sliced almost paper thin. Of course, if you are a fan of chunky filling, this won’t work!

3. Paula

It may seem extreme, but when I want to bake the best pie, I drive to Scott Farm in Dummerston VT and buy a mixed bag. I typically slice up 8-12 apples, depending on size. The mix of sweet and tart, crunchy and soft produces the best pie ever. Yes, a bit of a hike for me (1 hour each way), but nothing beats a great mix of heirloom apples. If I were to “gasp” buy elsewhere, I would follow the same principal…. a broad mix rather than one type. And never forget the Ben and Jerry’s “world’s best” vanilla ice cream.

1. Deborah Wiersum

I do the same thing in my state. We are also an apple growing state. I go to the farmer’s market and ask the apple lady to make me a bag of apples for apple pie. They are always the best. She mixes 4 or 5 varieties. That and a great crust make a really great pie.

4. Patricia Mear

Great suggestion to drain and cook down the juices from the sugared apples. I saw that recently on a cooking show and wondered why most of us (me included) never thought to use such an obviously great method. As you mentioned, reducing the apple juice and sugar would taste caramel-ly..one of my all time favorite flavors. I always make caramel sauce from scratch to drizzle (more like pour) on apple pie.

5. Carol

My recipe for the apple pie is:
    5-6 peeled, chunked apples
    2/3 C sugar
    1/3 C flour
    dash of cinnamon (we don’t like the cinnamon to overwhelm the apples)
    2 T water
    stir to coat the apples
    place in pie crust
    dot with 2 T butter
    place on top crust
    Bake 15 minutes 425, 40 minutes 375
    Perfect!!

6. Jill

Love mixing apple varieties too. Growing up, we never had ice cream with apple pie. A really good, sharp cheddar cheese was mandatory!!

7. Kekiria

When reducing the apple juices released from the macerated apples, I add in some Apple Jack, and I use honey whiskey in the crust to prevent too much gluten from developing. 🙂

I don’t have a pie pan so I just use my cast iron skillet. I’m a novice pie baker but have learned much from KAF, Alton Brown, and various cook books and cooking shows.

Thank you for all the wonderful support and information you give everyday! I really appreciate it.

8. Cecily

A note on pie crusts: if rolling out a chilled crust scares you, roll it out before chilling, and then let it chill for the 30 minutes. You’ll still get a flakey crust, but the rolling will be easier.

9. Terry Harrison

This is a tribute Mrs. Chase, who made the absolute best apple pie I’ve ever tasted, a lady I visited while I was still in high school, along with my friend from school. Mrs Chase was quite elderly and blind and lived in a little house in the country by herself. My friend and I would visit her after church on Sunday and I loved the conversations we had with her….there was always a lot of laughter. One Sunday she presented us each with a slice of her fantastic apple pie, flaky tender crust and perfectly balanced filling. The perfect apple pie. None has ever compared to that homey slice of perfection…..I can see it, smell it and taste it, washed down with cold fresh milk. Mrs. Chase did everything by touch and she walked around her little kitchen , touching her counters and walls to keep her bearings. She was a lovely, independent country woman.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thank you for sharing this wonderful memory, Terry. I can just see her and smell that pie. <3, MJ

10. Marilyn Hardy

I wish someone would do a recipe for apple pie using weight instead of number of apples. I’ve never gotten 9 apples in a pie, too many. I’m getting ready to do a pie fundraiser for my church and I’ll be leading a group of people in making close to 200 pies. I don’t have time to macerate them but I like doing that. I recently tried a tip to freeze the pie and bake from frozen to keep the bottom crust from getting soggy. It worked beautifully. I baked at 400 the whole time, covered the crust after about the first hour, cooked about 20 minutes longer but next time I’ll cook 30 additional minutes to get the apple all tender. I only used 5 apples but they were large. I think I could get 6 in but 5 worked pretty good. I didn’t use any flour or thickener but next time I think I will use a little, maybe 2 tablespoons. In my opinion, apple pie, although a basic simple pie can be tricky to get just right. And some like a more or less sweet pie! I just make it to my liking and so far that’s worked.

Marilyn, I hear you on the weight measurement! Some of our apple pie recipes do provide the option of weight measurements, such as this recipe, and the recipe associated with this post does provide an overall weight of the whole apples at 3 1/4 pound. Barb@KAF

11. Kathy

I swear by golden delicious apples for my pie and use a recipe from my ancient Betty Crocker cookbook that was a high school graduation gift. Even won first place in a church pie baking contest once. When the crust is brown the apples are always done. My son will eat a quarter of a pie at one time. I do plan to try the boiled cider, got some with my last order.

Rachel, boiled cider will last indefinitely when stored in the refrigerator after opening. Barb@KAF

None, just keep an eye on the crumbs to be sure they don’t burn. Add half at the start then add the rest halfway through to retain good definition. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

12. Cindy Jordan

Has anyone ever used the egg white wash for the bottom pie crust to help prevent a soggy crust? Wondering about the results, including change in the texture of the crust. Thanks . . .

Cindy, I haven’t tried this method, but some bakers do swear by it. You might also find this post about freezing fruit pie helpful. The comments afterwards include many baking tips from our baking community about avoiding that pesky soggy bottom crust. Barb@KAF

2. Kate Nelson

My biggest problem making apple pies was always a soggy bottom and I’ve experimented with lots of techniques before settling on three that have done the trick with my pies. First: I’ve stopped using ceramic and pottery pie plates which are lovely to look at, but always resulted in a soggy bottom. Now I always use a glass pie plate like my mother did and her pies were always perfect. Second, I brush an egg white all over the bottom crust before filling it with apples. (Cindy, it has not changed the texture of the crust.) Third, I bake the pie for at least half the baking time on the bottom shelf of the oven. If I do these three things, I do NOT have a soggy bottom. After reading this recipe about boiled cider, I will certainly try that, too. Sounds great!

13. Edie Noell

May I suggest you try a cap full of Captain Jack’s Apple Brandy in with the syrup you make. I tried this once, and never make apple pie, fried apples, or even Baked Sweet Potatoes without sprinkling this over the dish prior to baking. The alcohol cooks off, but it just gives it a hint of flavoring. My family loves it.

14. Elsa Gamaunt

After baking pies of all kinds for 45 years I have found that a dusting of corn starch on top of the bottom crust keeps it from becoming soggy. I sprinkle a spoon or so in, then spread with a soft pastry brush. You still need to thicken the juices, this is just extra insurance for that bottom crust!

Marci, you can replace the boiled cider with frozen concentrated apple juice (thawed). In place of the pie filling enhancer you can substitute one of the other pie thickeners recommended in this chart. Barb@KAF

15. Diane Tomkins

Hi, I watched my mother make pie crust. She made the flakiest crusts. She never used ice cold water or put her pie dough in the refrigerator. I remember her, after putting the ingredients in a bowl (flour, crisco etc.) putting the bowl under the spigot or faucet and using cold tap water (not at the level of really cold) and without measuring put the right amount of water in the bowl. I have used ice water and put the dough in the refrigerator and I have not yet gotten a flaky crust. I’m 63, will I ever get a flaky crust?

We think your mom had cool hands- and lots of practice. Leaving the butter in flattened pieces will help create that flaky crust. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

2. Jane Mika

My mother also used Spry to make her pie crust. She also never refrigerated the dough and had wonderful crust, very flaky. I sometimes use a combination of butter and chilled Crisco to get more flakiness. I do like the butter flavor!

3. Wanda

Hello , I too watched my mom and my great aunts all my life , I am 63 years old now. My mom is 82 . what I have determined is this, back in the days I didn’t have time to fool with measuring out ice water , and put it in the freezer and put it in the refrigerator, blah blah bka. Haha. ! And I love to bake more than anybody ! We had so many kids and Family waiting around to be fed , so everybody could get back out and get to work in the yard , or in the garden , or on the hayfield , that it was get it done the quickest way you know how !! Needless to say , Crisco or real Lard was always the staple as well as plain flour and in the case of biscuits or cornbread you darn well better have some “homemade ” buttermilk on hand !
      ( does anybody hear me now !? ). So therefore, I am saying that the less you handle your dough , and the less you stir it around in the bowl whether it be cornbread biscuits or Piecrust dough , The flakier it’s going to be because by doing this you are allowing The ingredients to do exactly what they are meant to do , without being altered in anyway . 😀

16. Susan

Is it sacrilege that I like to cook my apples slightly before putting it in the crust and baking? I don’t like crunchy apple in my pies, so I put them in a pan with the sugar, spices, and a little apple juice and cook til I can just pierce with a fork. Then I add thickener, cool, and put in the pastry. It comes out just the way we like it.

Susan, it’s not at all sacrilege! Many bakers suggest this as a way to avoid the gap between the apples and the crust, which can occur when using uncooked apples. Barb@KAF

Use a crumb topping recipe, or the one from our French apple pie, instead. I like to add half at the start of the bake, and the other half about half way through the bake. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

17. Lenora Reed

My forever problem has been ..how to not have a doughy crust at the bottom..help me out Bakers the Holiday Season is upon us..

Bottom heat is key! Put your pie on a baking stone, with only a piece of parchment beneath, or you can put your oven rack on one of the lower shelves. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

2. martha simonds

I put a sifting of flour in the pie pan, before I put my crust in. Then i brush the inside of the crust with egg-wash. It works well for me.

18. Lynda Carver

As long as I was reordering boiled cider last week when it was on sale, I also bought the apple pie spice and just made an apple pie with it. I think the apple pie spice has way, way too much nutmeg in it. The apple pie has the predominate flavor of nutmeg with just a little taste of cinnamon. Very disappointing!

We’re sorry this one wasn’t for you! Try using half cinnamon and half apple pie spice- it’s a great way to customize your flavors! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

19. Jane Mika

I have a question about Clear Gel. I just purchased some and I noticed that the directions suggest that you combine it with the sugar and add 1 cup of liquid. I have never made a fruit pie that needs a cup of liquid! I noticed that in your recipe you added it by itself toward the end. So, can I ignore the directions on the Clear Gel jar?

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Jane. The jar instructions are geared toward thickening a sauce; for pie filling, just combine it with your sugar and stir into the fruit. You might want to take a peek at our Pie Thickener Chart for more information about how to use it. Susan

20. Winnie Franklin

I use SenSu apples, they hold their shape,I also blind bake my bottom crust,use a crumble top crust.I also use tapioca to thicken the apples and microwave my filling before pouring into the crust. I make one heck of an apple pie,it maybe time consuming but it’s worth every minute.

21. Tim

I started to do the draining like you in highschool and would let it set over night in a colander. I did move away from this method and went to do a very quick cook on the outside of the apples(chunky). Usually start with an apple cider on the bottom and stir until I start getting a color change. Add in sugar(brown and white), cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, lemon zest. Then add in a slurry of cornstarch.. small amount). Set to cool and get into pie crust(made with vodka.. though I should try calvados).
    Usually doing about 3 large pies and 7 small ones at a time. Then when frozen vacuum sealing.

Personally I like later season apples to retain more of the shape. Macoun has become my favorite with a stamen winesap behind that. I do agree with the mixing and matching.

For cooking I usually vamp the oven to about 450 with a pan in it(usually on the pizza stone). Then put the pie in for about 20 minutes to help get the bottom crisped first. Lower the temp until the knife comes out easily.

22. Susan

Just made an apple pie, I used my own favorite crust recipe but then I used the Best Apple Pie filling recipe, fabulous I have been using the Boiled Apple Cider for years, it is wonderful! I actually started making apple juice for our grandkids from it and they like it much better than juice from the grocery store. And, I put some into my smoothies in the morning, on ice cream, and apple crisps, just to name a few things. Kudos to all of you at KAF!

23. Maureen Kuntzmann

I just baked this Sunday! I measured out the crust ingredients, and just probably needed more than 3-5 tbls of ice water. It was a crumbly mess, but I didn’t want to overwork it, so I patted it together, 2/3 and 1/3, wrapped them and refrigerated for a couple hours. I was afraid to add more water, but I should have, sigh. Rolled out the bottom, piecing it as it broke, I didn’t over roll it again, and the top just couldn’t roll thin enough without falling apart. I pieced the top, patchwork style, brought the raggedy ends up onto the top, also, milk washed it and sugar sanded it. It turned out delicious! Delicate crust, ( I didn’t have time to reduce the sit-in juice) but love boiled cider, and the gel mix. Someone suggested using a spray bottle for the ice water. I think it probably needed that 6th tablespoon…. Next time!

24. Warren

I will never use this crust again. Took a lot more water then called for and still was very crumbly. I let it set in frig for over an hour to no avail. Hoping the pie itself comes out ok.

25. Nilhan

Thank you for this delicious recipe and for sharing your lovely memory.. I baked this Saturday, it was really delicious. I scratched both top and bottom. This help me to take out extra apple juice -filling the pie cup- by spoon. But the top was not crusty like yours. What you suggest for better crusty, should I use less flour or more time in refrigerator?

1. Posie Harwood , post author

Hm, what do you mean exactly by “scratched” both top and bottom? And was the problem that the top wasn’t golden, or that it got soft rather than crisp?

26. Shari Z

Wow, I’m so impressed with this recipe! I’ve shied away from making pies for a few years because I had trouble making a good dough and the fillings were so juicy, the crust became soggy. I tried this recipe, complete with the buttermilk powder and Clearjel, and it was a success! The dough was still a bit of a challenge in the processor, but it ended up fine.

I used a mixture of Granny Smith and Gala apples, and the taste was absolutely heavenly! I used the apple pie spice from KAF and the boiled cider (first time) and my husband gave the results 2 thumbs up. I also followed the tip for letting the apples rest and then adding the boiled cider and reducing the liquids to a pourable syrup.

The only problem I had, other than getting the dough to process well was having enough dough for the top crust! I followed the tip about 2/3 for the bottom and 1/3 top, but didn’t have enough dough to cover the heaping filling. I think 9 apples was too many, or maybe I’ll have to find smaller apples!

All in all, this pie was a winner and I’m looking forward to making lots more, plus a blueberry, which is my husband’s favorite. Thanks KAF for a great recipe!

27. MaryAnn

Pies are so easy to make but some people have so much trouble with them
    It just takes a little practice- If you slice the apples too thick they will take more time to cook
    I wait for the apples to bubble up and see the juices spill out
    I keep a cookie sheet on the rack below to catch the drippings

28. Laurie

The problem I have with apple pie is the apples sink and the top crust stays up nice and high! It still tastes great, but its messy to cut. I mound the apples nice and high, and press on the top crust, but the apples always shrink and the crust doesn’t move with them! I use Cortland apples and they always get nice and soft. Any ideas what I can do about the top crust? I do cut slits in the top. Thanks

29. Kitty

This trick of macerating the apples and boiling down the extra juice to a syrup works like a charm. Best apple pie I have ever made. Reviewed by my husband (who almost never says positive things about my cooking, but couldn’t help himself this time), my grandson who devoured the last piece, 4 days old, because he doesn’t like pumpkin or pecan (his other choices at T’giving), my sister, the apple fanatic, and my beautiful granddaughter (who has never said anything critical about me in her 16 years, so possibly is not as discriminating a critic). Anyway thank you for a wonderful week of baking with all the KAF recipes.

30. Tom Dawley

Boy!!! Headed to KA school this Sunday…been there twice….for breads now its Pies…cannot say I have ever had so much fun…and the people at KA are great..

Tom

John, we’ve recommended dark corn syrup or honey as a substitute here, and other bakers have suggested that using Golden Syrup or maple syrup could also work. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

31. Amanda

I did everything as suggested and my pie was still really runny. It taste amazing though! The strange thing is that I made this pie last year without cooking down the juices and it wasn’t runny at all. Would it have anything to do with the apples I used? I used a mix of honey crisp, Jonathan, and Granny Smith.

Amanda, pre-cooking the apples can change the consistency of pie filling. If you do decide to pre-cook the apples, it’s important to reduce the juices they release until they’re a syrupy consistency otherwise you’ll have a runny filling. Also, keep in mind that cornstarch tends to break down as a thickener if it is heated at too high a temperature for too long, so if you baked this year’s pie for a bit longer than last year’s or sliced into it before the juices cooled, that could have also caused the difference in consistency. It sounds like the pie ended up tasting great anyways, which is great news! Kye@KAF