Cinnamon Star Bread: a holiday show-stopper

Looking for the ultimate in fancy holiday sweet breads, guaranteed to impress? Who better than our catalogue recipe developer/food stylist, Charlotte, to create the bread of our dreams!

This stunning Cinnamon Star Bread is blowing people away with how pretty it looks and tastes, and also how deceptively easy it is to create.

Seldom do I make things that are ACTUALLY difficult to make. I don’t have the patience. Rather, I look for those recipes whose finishing touches really set them apart (and make me look awesome!)

Charlotte really pulled out all the stops on this sweet loaf – and she was kind enough to recreate her steps so I could share them with all of you!

This pull-apart style holiday bread is a show-stopping riff on a classic cinnamon bun. As it bakes, the cinnamon-sugar filling caramelizes and gives the bread a wonderfully sweet and crunchy coating, while the interior remains soft and tender.

To make the dough:
3/4 cup plus 2 to 4 tablespoons lukewarm water, enough to make a soft, smooth dough
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor, optional; for enhanced flavor
2 teaspoons instant yeast, SAF Gold preferred
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup Baker’s Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1/4 cup potato flour or 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes

Combine all of the dough ingredients and mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — to make a soft, smooth dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise for 60 minutes, until it’s nearly doubled in bulk.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflourGently deflate the dough, and divide it into four equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, cover the balls, and allow them to rest for 15 minutes.

Prepare your filling ingredients while they rest. In one small bowl: 1/3 cup Cinnamon-Sugar Plus, or your own mix of cinnamon sugar. In another small bowl: 1 large egg, beaten until frothy.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflourOn a lightly greased or floured work surface, roll one piece of dough into a 10″ circle. Place the circle on a piece of parchment, brush a thin coat of beaten egg on the surface, then evenly sprinkle with 1/3 of the cinnamon-sugar leaving 1/4″ of bare dough around the perimeter.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflourRoll out a second circle the same size as the first, and place it on top of the filling-covered circle. Repeat the layering process with the remaining two pieces of dough — egg, cinnamon sugar, dough circle — leaving the top circle bare.

You won’t use all the egg. Save what’s left; you’ll need it later.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflourSet a 2 1/2″ to 3″ round cutter in the center of the dough circle as a guide; don’t cut through the dough! With a bench knife or sharp knife, cut the circle into 16 equal strips, from the cutter to the edge, through all the layers.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflour
Pick up two adjacent strips and twist them away from each other twice so that the top side is facing up again. Repeat with the remaining strips of dough so that you end up with eight pairs of strips. Pinch the pairs of strips together to create a star-like shape with eight points.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflour
Remove the cutter. Transfer the star on the parchment to a baking sheet. Cover the star and let it rise until it becomes noticeably puffy, about 45 minutes.

While the star is rising, preheat the oven to 400°F.

How to make Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflour
Brush the star with a thin coat of the beaten egg.

Bake the star for 12 to 15 minutes, until it’s nicely golden with dark brown cinnamon streaks; the center should register 200°F on a digital thermometer. Remove the loaf from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Cinnamon Star Bread via @kingarthurflour
So there you have it – easier than you thought, right?! And almost too pretty to eat!

We hope you bake and enjoy this lovely bread with your friends and family this holiday season.

Please, bake, rate, and review our recipe for Cinnamon Star Bread.

Print just the recipe.

Gwen Adams

Gwen Adams grew up in northern New Hampshire, on top of a mountain, surrounded by nature and not much else. After graduating from Lyndon State College in 2010, Gwen sought a career that combined her passion for writing with her love of baking. She found ...

comments

1. joe

Would this be too fussy to make into individual portions? I think a small individual snowflake bread would be a wonderful breakfast treat.

I completely agree with you. They would make a nice single serving BUT maybe too much work? A labor of love for someone you love! Elisabeth@KAF

2. Karen Johnston

I use the cinnamon filling that you add water to in order to make a paste. Would this work as well as the mixture in the recipe?

Consider using that cinnamon filling you have as a the dry cinnamon sugar mixture. There may be a temptation to use more of the prepared filling than you need, making it hard to contain the filling or twist the stems and maintain the integrity of the design. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

When baking individual stars, start checking at 15 minutes. You might want to make 8 arms instead of 16, though. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

5. Linda Rawson

How much modification would I have to make this with gluten free ingredients? It looks doable but I don’t want to waste materials and time right now.

Gluten-free bread tends to be more batter-like than dough like, which makes this recipe tricky. The best place to start might be our Gluten-Free Cinnamon Roll recipe. The dough is still quite wet and hard to shape, so you might want to play around with placing the rolls next to each other in a star-shaped pattern. Give it a try if you feel like experimenting, and let us know if you have success! Kye@KAF

2. Anna

So, this design has been around via the Nutella star bread. Is the design original to KA? If not, it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that it is. If it was inspired by the Nutella star bread, that’s great, but indicating so would be more appropriate I believe.

There are many Star Bread recipes and techniques on line. We know our dough was developed by our KAF test kitchen. We did our best to streamline the process we found successful for shaping that gives our readers the best chance at home baked success. Happy Baking to all. Irene@KAF

2. Angela S.

I have seen many star bread recipes (many of which are very old family recipes) each varying in ingredients, technique, and complexity. This is a beautiful variation, thank you King Arthur for this wonderful tutorial. Probably the best walk through I have seen yet!

3. Carolyn

i saw this on Martha Stewart’s baking show recently. She never mentioned KAF so I was surprised to see it in one of your catalogs and now in Flourish. I am planning to make it and wonder if it could be adapted to your Christmas tree shaped paper bake-and-take pan.

Carolyn, I think it could work to bake it in the tree-shaped pan. If you give it a go, let us know how it turns out! Bryanna@KAF

2. Carolyn

I’ve done this twice so far. The first time I didn’t count the cuts accurately but I just sprinkled it with sparkling sugar and put it in the oven. The second time I was very careful with the cuts and it was lovely. I sprinkled it with some green sugar and little white snowflakes. This will be a gift for my niece and her family. I took some pictures. How can I send one to you?
      I did have a problem with the recipe. The dough was very wet and required additional flour to obtain a workable consistency. This is a problem that I often have with your recipes.

We’d love to see your star bread. Send an e-mail with the picture to bakers@kingarthurflour Wet dough? We can chat about measuring, mixing and kneading to get you to happy baking either through that e-mail or by a call to our baker’s hotline (855-371-2253). Irene@KAF

4. Carolyn

My email was rejected. No ‘bakers’ at King Arthur Flour.com. Give me a correct email address and I’ll try again.

Carolyn, sorry it didn’t work to email us that way. Here is a link to our email submission form: http://bit.ly/SedGba
      Or feel free to call our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253 if you want to chat with some of our super knowledgeable bakers! Bryanna@KAF

4. Zina

MUST figure out how to do this with sourdough dough…maybe use a sweet version of the buttery sourdough rolls dough?

1. Gwen Adams, post author

That sounds lovely. Give it a try and be sure to let us know how it turns out! –Gwen

To re-heat or refresh yeast breads, consider using low heat of 275′ to 300′ until the aroma makes it irresistible to wait any longer! Usually 5 – 10 minutes. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

5. Kym

I’m a big fan of making cinnamon buns for weekend breakfast because I can completely make them the night before and let them achieve their “final rise” in the refrigerator overnight. Then it’s just wake up and pop them in the oven. *Much* faster for a non morning person! Would I be able to do the exact same thing here? Probably complete it through forming the final star shape and stopping before brushing with egg wash?
    Thanks so much!

1. Gwen Adams, post author

Charlotte and I haven’t tested it this way before, but you’re welcome to give it a try. The only worry we both have is that the cinnamon filling gets weepy fairly quickly. There’s the chance that your flavors will leak out of the bread while it sits in the fridge. However, another bakes left a comment about doing this very thing and seemed satisfied. Give it a go and hit the snooze button! –Gwen

6. Anne

Wow, that looks amazing. I may have just drooled down my front and onto the keyboard.

I am used to making cinnamon swirl bread, it’s one of my favorites, but now I really want to try this. I must remind myself; Not Today! Today’s baking is Tea Cakes, Scones, and Bread… regular bread. So we can have bread with lunches and dinners!

But oh, you guys make that so hard to stick to.

7. Cathy R

This looks absolutely beautiful and I can’t wait to try it.

Do you think I would be pushing my luck to add some finely chopped apple with each layer?

1. Gwen Adams, post author

We haven’t tested it that way yet, Cathy, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Some of the apple may pop out during the twisting, but you could always stick it back in after you’re finished. What a terrific idea! –Gwen

2. Anne S

Coarsely grate the apple and if you find it extremely wet, squeeze some of the juice out before adding it to your layers. We do that with strudel.

8. Tiara

Made something similiar to this last year for Christmas. I saw on YouTube someone had shaped the dough in triangle form, cut “branches” on both sides, leaving a “trunk” in the middle. Twisted the branches and viola! A Christmas tree!

9. Maria

Would it be possible to make this ahead of time and freeze? Due to work schedule and travel, time around the holidays will be limited.

Like Gwen, we flinch with refrigeration or freezing this shaped and filled bread before baking. We worry that the cinnamon goodness will get too soupy and leak out of the twisted pieces. You might consider completing through the bake and then freeze. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

10. Betty

Just want to add my admiration for this stunning bread. I saw it in the catalog and bought potato flour so that I can try this. I’m glad you added this to Flourish with photos of how the twisting works. I was intimidated by decorative bread until I went to one of your baking demos in NJ and Susan did a demo of how to twist the dough. Thank you for such great instructions!

11. Edie

I love the KAF Cinnamon Filling – can you use that insteand of cinnamon sugar?

Can’t wait to try this it looks great.

Yes, you can sprinkle the Baker’s Cinnamon Filling dry in place of the cinnamon sugar listed in the recipe. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

This bread can be made about 2 to 3 days ahead of time for gifting; you can also prepare the loaf all the way up through shaping and then cover it with plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight. Take it out the next morning while the oven preheats and then bake it as directed. This may give you more flexibility and time to bake. Enjoy this stunning bread! Kye@KAF

12. Carolyn

I was thinking I’d make Danish pastries for Christmas morning, but now this is top contender It’s just so beautiful! I’m wondering why an egg wash is used between layers, instead of melted butter?

Egg wash creates a thin protein level that will bind the layers together and keep them from sliding. Melted butter will provide more separation between the layers and the water in the butter will generate steam, creating air pockets. Laurie@KAF

It depends on your family! Cut it into wedges, following the twists, to create 16 pieces, or use your hands to pull it apart. There really isn’t a wrong way to eat it! Laurie@KAF

13. Mary

I have a family member with an egg allergy. Is there something else I can brush the layers with before sprinkling on the cinnamon sugar? Thank you.

1. Mary

I used the half and half and it came out great. The bread looked so beautiful and tasted absolutely delicious. Thank you.

14. Morgan

Any success with this in a gluten free version? I’ve tried a few recipes from here before with great success, (passion fruit cake/curd) and this looks like something family members would enjoy. but GF dough is such a pain to work with even in the best circumstances. Any tips for trying in GF?

We haven’t tested this one in a GF version; as you stated it can be challenging to work with. We do have a filled sweet GF bread recipe here: http://bit.ly/1KyoCDo You could try this in a tube pan or assembling it in a deep tart ring so the batter is contained. It could be a beautiful experiment! Happy baking- Laurie@KAF

15. Kelly Klega

I’m looking at making this for an office holiday breakfast. I’m curious – will this still be yummy at room temperature, or should I try to figure out a way to heat it at work?
    Thanks!

This star bread is delicious at room temperature as well! We love it enjoy it warm, but it is great either way. Feel free to pop it into an oven to warm it up or you can suggest that folks warm in the microwave so it gets all gooey and even more yummy! Enjoy! Kye@KAF

2. Kelly Klega

Thank you so much! This worked wonderfully even served at room temperature. It also looked so great (and was so easy) that I made it again for another event a few days later!

Nothing was added to the center of the bread aside from egg wash, but you could sprinkle it with some sparkling white sugar if you wanted to add another level of flavor and beauty to this bread! Kye@KAF

Janny, unfortunately this type of recipe needs the rising qualities, strength and suppleness of a yeast dough. Barb@KAF

2. Kari

I used a biscuit dough from a quick cinnamon bun recipe I have, and it turned out great. I brushed the layers with melted butter.
      Doing the original now. Hopefully my yeast is still alive 🙂

16. Betsy M

Would love to try this but I’d need to find a way to do it without the milk ingredients. Any thoughts on how to make this dairy free? Could I use a non-dairy milk like unsweetened almond milk in place of the water and dry milk? Thanks.

Betsy, you can substitute lukewarm almond milk for the water content and leave out the dry milk. Barb@KAF

17. Ann Marie

I made this bread and the instructions were great. I’m thinking I will add a sprinkle of chopped nuts between the layers next time. I had to bake the bread an extra 10 minutes to get it to the 200 degree internal temp. Glad I had my instant read thermometer!

18. J

I really wish King Arthur would stop including NON-gluten free recipes in emails that are “supposedly” focused on gluten free recipes. Why do you mix them together? You got my hopes up with this recipe for cinnamon star bread. But alas, it’s not gluten free. And the GF filled bread that you referenced is totally different. It’s like a cruel trick played on your readers! Please stop.

Hi J, we’re sorry to hear you have been frustrated with our emails. It sounds like you may have been signed up to receive our regular emails instead of exclusively the gluten-free one. Check the bottom of the next email you receive and click the “Update your preferences,” link. Be sure you select the “I bake exclusively gluten-free recipes” box. This will hopefully help prevent any misleading emails from arriving to you in the future. We’d also like you to know that we are always working on developing more recipes (especially festive ones during the holiday season) for our gluten-free friends out there! I hope this helps. Kye@KAF

19. Joni Hansen

How does this beautiful star bread compare to cinnamon rolls? We love warm, gooey cinnamon rolls while we open gifts on Christmas morning. Will my family be disappointed that this is not as sweet and gooey?

Only a test bake will tell you for sure if you can squeeze in this recipe either before or after Christmas week. If your family is looking forward to your special tradition, don’t change a thing and use that family favorite recipe! Happy Baking, Irene@KAF

20. Anita Segreti

Oh My Stars! That’s what a neighbor says when something amazing happens, and this is amazing. It looks so complex, but was easy. I added an egg and some vanilla to the dough, and sprinkled some extra cinnamon sugar on top before baking. I did have a little trouble with the bottom layer of dough shrinking up a little bit before I got the top layer on, but it doesn’t seem to have hurt it. I had to do some serious pinching of the ends, and gave them a final pinch just before baking. I didn’t leave such a big circle in the middle, either. I kept wondering why the recipe author didn’t want a bigger star, but I am now thinking that the ends would be so big that the whole thing wouldn’t bake evenly. Any advice on doubling the recipe, as I know I will have to make a lot of these. Should I just double everything except the yeast? Actually, I could probably do a triple batch in my mixer. The author of this recipe is a true artist!

Anita, we’re so glad you’re a fan of this recipe! As for the doubling, go ahead and double everything except the yeast; instead, do about 1 1/2 times the amount of yeast. Happy star baking! Bryanna@KAF

21. Maggie

This looks delicious and fun to make.
    Could I substitute milk(scalded)for some of the water if I don’t have any dry milk?

Maggie, you can substitute an equal amount of milk for the water (just use lukewarm milk, no need to scald) and leave out the dry milk. Enjoy! Barb@KAF

22. Triscuit

My dough was incredibly sticky and difficult to work with. I added the flour by weight instead of volume so I don’t think I added to little. I used about 3.5 tablespoons added to the 3/4 cups. Any idea what I could improve?

Tristan, if you happened to substitute another brand of all-purpose flour this could result in a stickier dough, as our Unbleached All-Purpose Flour is on the high end when it comes to protein content for all-purpose flour. This means it will absorb more liquid than another brand of all-purpose flour. You could either reduce the water amount by a few tablespoons, or add a few more tablespoons flour to adjust for this difference. If this doesn’t sound like what happened to your dough, please give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253(BAKE). We’d be very happy to help you troubleshoot! Barb@KAF

23. Laura

This came out perfectly and was a huge hit for our family celebration this morning. Not too sweet. Lovely breadiness. Easy, though it looks professional. A winner. Destined to be an annual part of our Christmas celebration. Thanks KAF!

24. Sandee Salisbury

I received your Holiday guide baker’s catalogue for 2015, and to my surprise was this beautiful Cinnamon Star Bread. I am a home baker, and I have never seen any thing like this before. So I decided that I was going to give 12 of these out for Christmas. As I read the instructions I said to myself this is easy and I can do this. I got everything ready and set up to go. Then, I decided to go ahead a look a your how to video. Everything was still good. I made the dough for the 1st batch, I put the parchment paper out and it was allowed to rise. I got out my scale, I divided the dough into 4 equal pieces and weighted each piece to make sure that they were the same . Here is where I decided that there is no way I’m going to get a 10″ circle out of this small amount of dough. But to my surprise, I did and do you know that each and everyone of my Cinnamon Star Breads turned out so beautiful and they tasted so good. They melted in you mouth. I want you to know the instructions was very precise. I look at all you recipes and make a lot of them, but this one has been the best one this far. I have been getting you catalogue for many years now. Bought many of your products and shared many of your recipes. I hope you continue to put forth such wonderful recipes as this one is. As I will continue to make them and share them. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you at King Arthur Flour and a Very Blessed New Year.

25. christine

The picture sold me. What a great recipe! Made a practice version the weekend before Christmas to try it out. It was easier than it looked and delish. Round two was made for family on Christmas morning to universal enjoyment. Many thanks for the recipe and the blog post.

This picture is worth a thousand words as the saying goes! Enjoy for many more years to come. Elisabeth@KAF

26. Chelsie Throckmorton

I have made a couple of these and they are FANTASTIC! Totally worth the effort!! I would like to ship one of these. What would be the best way to package this?

Slip onto a piece of cardboard for stability, and wrap tightly with plastic. Then wrap in foil, and use bubblewrap to surround it in the box. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

27. Elaine

This recipe looks stunning. I didn’t find it difficult at all and the result is so impressive. The only issue I have is that my family all agreed that it needed extra ‘goo.’ Can I safely double the cinnamon sugar?

Sure, increase the cinnamon sugar as needed. Have you considered upping the goo factor by icing the finished product (while still warm) with an icing made from confectioners’ sugar, heavy cream and vanilla extract? Heaven on earth. Elisabeth@KAF

28. Martha

I made this 2 days before Christmas, baked and cooled it, wrapped it in plastic and foil, froze it, and transported it from Buffalo to Boston by car, in a cooler. On Christmas Eve, we let it defrost in the refrigerator and warmed it up on Christmas morning. It was spectacular! And, for those who don’t want to worry about tracking down potato flour, I substituted 2 T cornstarch and the Star rose and baked perfectly.

1. Mindy

Thanks about your potato flour note! Usually I find it in the stores at Passover only, which is a Springtime holiday.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Erica,
      Yes, just like overnight dinner rolls or cinnamon buns, this can be shaped and kept in the fridge overnight before baking. ~ MJ

29. Amy

On the page with just the recipe and not the blog, http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/cinnamon-star-bread-recipe , the picture shows a star that has more distinct and more pointy star points. It looks like instead of pinching the ends of the strips together, one is placed on top of the other. And, it looks like the strips in the picture on the other webpage are twisted TOWARD each other, not away from each other. (You can see this by looking at the bottom star tip and seeing a “V” shape to the twist instead of an upside down “V”.) What is the best way to get the more pointy and distinct sections look to the star – putting the ends together, overlapping them, etc. or is there something else to the technique?

Amy, we’ve found that the best way to achieve a pointy-tipped star is to indeed pinch the ends together. Instead of pinching them downwards and making them flat, pinch the edges of the end of the strips together so that they create a secure seam, on end, like a column. This will keep the tip intact while the bread proofs. The strands tend to look like they are overlapping as the dough rises. (And yes, the initial twist, whether it’s inwards or outwards will determine the shape of the inner “V,” but both techniques create the larger star effect. Choose whichever you prefer.) Kye@KAF

30. alba

I would like to make these as gifts, at least 5 loaves. I saw that a commenter asked if they can be refrigerated overnight and baked in the morning, and the answer was yes. But the few times I tried to refrigerate breads overnight, they kept rising. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Alba, the trick is to replace the final, room temperature rise with the longer, cooler rise in the fridge, rather than attempting to refrigerate after the loaf has already risen at room temp. While your dough sits overnight in the fridge, it will rise, but much more slowly than it does at room temperature, which is why it’s ok to leave it for so much longer. Hope this helps to clarify. If you have additional questions, feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE. Mollie@KAF

31. Cindy Walsh

I have tried this recipe twice, both times it came out looking like the picture, but my dough did not rise. I put all dry ingredients in a bowl, than the butter and water. Should i follow a different sequence? If it doesn’t rise will that alter the taste of my bread?

The order of the ingredients doesn’t matter as much as the freshness of the yeast and the amount of flour you’re using. Be sure to test your yeast for freshness and measure your flour correctly. These things should help with the rise. If your dough doesn’t become puffy at all, the final texture will be quite heavy and dense. It’s worth troubleshooting the rise! Kye@KAF

32. Bonnie Auslander

Hi, I’m wondering if I can substitute the dough for the Japanese milk bread/ soft cinnamon rolls on your site. I have bread flour in the house and no AP (usually it’s the other way around!).

Also, one of the photos shows nothing under the biscuit cutters used as a guide yet there is dough in the final photo before baking. Weird, right?

Thanks for all your hard work–love your recipes and products!

Bonnie, the light in the photo may hide the dough in the center in the first few pics, but rest assured that it is there the whole way through. If need be, you could make this dough with bread flour too. It may be a little chewier, and you may need a bit more liquid to account for it, but it will still be quite tasty. You can even take a read through our blog article about subbing the two flours for more tips. Mollie@KAF

33. Barbara Brown

You guys never fail to inspire me! I am going to try this technique with my challah dough, and make a six-pointed star, for our upcoming Chanukah celebration.

We don’t see why not, Barb. If you want to incorporate them into the dough itself, we’d recommend adding them towards the end of the kneading process. You could also finely chop them and lightly sprinkle between each layer. However you do it, we hope you enjoy this tasty treat! Mollie@KAF

You can use 1/2 cup of instant mashed potato flakes in place of the potato flour, or you can use 1/4 cup of real mashed potatoes. Adding these ingredients helps keep the dough moist and tender. If you’re not able to use either of these, you can try using almond flour, which should make it buttery and brown nicely, or you can simply omit it. Your bread might be slightly less soft than it otherwise would be, but it will still be delicious. Kye@KAF