Gluten-Free Almond Bundt Cake: A New Classic

Our adoration of almond flour continues with this luscious (and gluten-free!) almond Bundt cake made with almond flour. It’s become a go-to cake for us whenever we need something simple, yet still stunning and delicious.

Now, we’ve talked about how much we love adding almond flour to cakes before, and this gorgeous Bundt cake is no exception. It’s mellow in flavor, fluffy in texture, and perfectly sweet. It can act not only as a decadent dessert, but also a breakfast cake or even a simple accompaniment to afternoon tea.

We love topping this almond flour Bundt cake with a simple glaze, but we encourage you to have some fun! Since the base of this cake is somewhat basic, the toppings can have some pizzazz. Want to serve it for a birthday? Make a quick Buttercream Frosting and dust it with sprinkles. How about for the chocolate lover in your life? We highly recommend this Chocolate Water Glaze. Or you know, if you were baking this during the fall, this Cinnamon Cider Glaze would be amazing!

No matter how you serve this cake, we know you’re going to love it. And we’re betting that if you serve it to someone who can eat gluten, they’ll never know the difference. It’s that good!

To get started with this recipe, you’ll need to preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a standard-size Bundt pan, and set it aside.

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

In a medium bowl, whisk together:

1 1/2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together:

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract or 1 drop bitter almond oil

Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl.

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Beat in 4 eggs, one at a time; the mixture should become quite fluffy. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat briefly.

Gluten-Free Almond Flour Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Add 2/3 cup of milk in thirds, alternating with (and ending with) the flour mixture. Mix well between additions; scrape the bowl once you’ve added the last of the flour, and mix for 1 minute. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake the cake for about 50 to 60 minutes, about 3 to 4 minutes past the point where the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center, and a cake tester (or toothpick) inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove the cake from the oven, and cool for 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan to cool on a rack.

Please bake and review our Gluten-Free Almond Bundt Cake recipe.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Katherine Frydenborg

This sounds like the perfect recipe for my book group or church meetings where gluten free friends gather. I always trust King Arthur recipes – Thanks.

2. Sarah

I’m thinking this might be a good way to make a GF coffee cake–swirl brown sugar/pecan mixture through, maybe line the pan with butter and then granulated sugar?…

This is a great idea, Sarah. You are more than welcome to give it a try if you like. You might consider using cinnamon sugar on top of the butter to line your pan…know that it will form a bit of a crust on the bottom of the cake. If this isn’t what you are looking for, you may want to skip this step. Good luck! Kye@KAF

You would be safe using either. If using the 9″ cake pans, it would be a thinner layer, 8″ would be thicker. I would bake at 325 degrees for approximately 30 minutes. Start checking for doneness at 25 minutes or at about 3 to 4 minutes past the point where the cake springs back when touched lightly in the center and a cake tester (or toothpick) inserted into the center comes out clean. The finished cake’s internal temperature should be 210°F or higher. Hope this helps and Happy Baking! JoAnn@KAF

3. Susan

Could I add blueberries to this without messing up the texture? I’ve got some fresh ones in the fridge. Thanks for any advice or tips!

Susan, go ahead and add in some fresh blueberries. Just be sure to toss them in some flour beforehand, to keep them from sinking to the bottom of this glorious bundt! Bryanna@KAF

2. Susan

Thanks, Bryanna, for the tip on tossing the blueberries with flour. I made the cake last night and my husband and I thought it was delicious! I used 8 ounces regular fresh blueberries, but I’m thinking wild blueberries would have been even better.

4. Amanda

Out of sheer curiosity, could you make this a regular gluten-full cake just by using AP flour instead of the GF flour? I loooooooove almond cakes and like the construction and idea of this one, but have found I’m really sensitive to the texture differences of GF baking. (Though I do it quite a bit for friends and family, I am not GF myself.)

Amanda, give it a go! You’d only need to leave out the xanthan gum. Keep us posted on the results. Bryanna@KAF

5. Peggy Deegan

I not only have celiac but also cystitis which prevents me from using vegetable oil since it is
    soy oil. What oil can i use to make some of your great Gluten free cakes & cookies. They look
    delicious & am interested in baking many of them?

Peggy, for recipes calling for vegetable oil you can substitute canola oil, or another non-soy oil. I always use canola oil when a recipe calls for vegetable oil because it has a neutral flavor. Barb@KAF

2. Judi Judi

How about almond oil for this recipe? I have drained some off the top of “natural” almond butter and used it in a similar cake before, as well as in pecan pancakes – the flavor of the oil only enhances the nut-flavored cake. Almond oil can also be purchased at many natural food stores & big grocery stores.

Thanks for sharing your experience with almond butter oil in your baking. We haven’t tried this in our test kitchen, but would love you to post your recipe results once your version of the GF Almond Bundt Cake is out of the oven! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

6. Sonya Fitak

I know two people who are both gluten and dairy free. Would this recipe work with coconut oil instead of butter? Do you have an alternative suggestion? Thanks.

1. MaryJane Robbins

The recipe should be fine with coconut oil, although the texture may be a bit heavier with a slightly more oily exterior. ~ MJ

7. San

I am interested in baking this cake really soon. However, I am wondering if I can make it completely gluten free with only Almond flour and also eliminate the refined sugar. I have heard that sometimes applesauce is used in baking. Will it provide enough of a balance in the cake and sufficient sweetness? I did not want to use maple syrup or honey as a sweetener either.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Cindy,
      We don’t recommend replacing the butter in this recipe with oil. ~MJ

8. Kasi

How does this recipe work with an egg replacer? I’d love to make it for my daughter who also has an egg allergy along with the gluten allergy. Thanks!

Kasi, we’ve discovered that replacing eggs in gluten-free recipes that require 2 or more eggs doesn’t work out very well. Because there is no gluten, the flour relies heavily on the eggs for additional structure and support. So when a recipe calls for more than two eggs, it really means they are crucial to the recipe. I would look for a GF recipe that calls for two or fewer eggs. Of course, this is just a recommendation, feel free to experiment! Bryanna@KAF

9. Mary B. Chance

I just came across this page, and being a celiac myself, it really caught my attention!!
    I was diagnosed when I was in my late thirties, and have faithfully followed the Gluten Free diet! My life is so much better and now and being healthy again, it feels as though I am on no diet, but just good food that is tastfeful and good for me!!
    Thank s so much for putting this information where most people can see it and word of mouth can sing its praises!!!

10. Ellen

This sounds amazing, but I was wondering if you can use other flours too, and not so much almond flour as it is expensive. I love your flour mix!!

11. Debbie

My daughter used to love to bake but is now gluten-free & dairy-free & finds a lot of recipes that she would like to make but they have ingredients that she cannot eat. These recipes all look wonderful! I’m just wondering if she can substitute her non-dairy butter for these recipes or would that compromise the texture & taste of each recipe. Thanks!

Debbie, go ahead and use non-dairy butter in these recipes. It bakes up beautifully and will still create a delicious result. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

A standard-size Bundt pan is one that’s 10 or 12-cups. However, we’ve written a full article on our blog that shows you how to determine the size of your pan. Check it out here for more details. Kye@KAF

12. Ilene Lorenz

In an almond cake recipe that has 1 1/4 c flour, 1 1/4 c sugar, 2/3 c milk, 1 1/2 tsp almond flavoring, 1 egg, 1 stick melted butter and 1/2 tsp baking powder. How would I convert that to gluten free?

Ilene, if you mean that the recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, then we’d recommend using our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour as a 1:1 sub, no other changes necessary! Almond flour doesn’t work well as a full substitute for all-purpose flour itself, but if you wanted to work in a small amount, you could try using 1/4 cup almond flour and 1 cup Measure for Measure. Hope this helps and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

Hi Ilene, if you’re using a recipe that calls for Gluten-Free Flour, it will probably also call for xanthan gum since that flour doesn’t already have some added to it. If you’re converting a recipe to be gluten-free using our Measure for Measure Flour, you don’t need to add xanthan gum because it already has it’s already been added to the flour. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF