No-knead bread three ways: savory (and sweet) add-ins

No-Knead Crusty White Bread, our 2016 Recipe of the Year, is one of the most popular recipes on our website. And with good reason: I daresay millions of bakers around the country have made bread using this simple technique since it first popped up on the culinary landscape over 10 years ago.

If you’re a devoté of no-knead bread, and haven’t yet branched out into other interesting iterations – it’s time to start. Prepare your dough as usual. Then, just before shaping, think how you might tweak the flavor with add-ins – and let your imagination run wild.

Do you love the cranberry-pecan bread at your local artisan bakery? Work those two simple ingredients into your plain dough. How about toasted walnuts and a handful of crumbled Maytag blue? Or bake up a take on pizza, with diced pepperoni and cubed mozzarella.

Need some inspiration for personalizing your own loaves? Check out our no-knead bread three ways.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

Here’s our basic dough: mixed, risen, refrigerated, and ready to scoop and shape.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

Cheddar and Jalapeño No-Knead Bread

1. Scoop out a handful of dough.

You’ll use about 1/3 of the dough (about 19 ounces) for each loaf you’re making.

Look at those absolutely beautiful strands of gluten! And this is strictly from a short mix, and long, slow rise in the fridge.

I mean, it’s like instead of cleaning up your kitchen at the end of the day, you cast some magic spell at night, go to bed, and next day – presto, your kitchen is a picture-perfect magazine spread of neatness. (Would that it were so…)

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

2. Prepare your add-ins.

I’m using 4 ounces diced cheddar cheese, and one small (3″) jalapeño pepper, seeded and sliced.

BTW, have you tried Cabot’s new cheddars? Oh, my… SO good. And, here’s something I didn’t know: like all Cabot cheddars, they’re lactose-free – perfect for those with lactose intolerance.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

3. Knead everything into the sticky dough.

Oil or flour your work surface to keep sticking to a minimum.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

4. Shape the dough into a log.

Flour the top of the dough; this will help keep it moist as it rises, and make a pretty crust.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

5. Let the dough rise.

Let the dough warm up and rise for 1 to 2 hours; there’s no need to cover it. It won’t so much rise as expand and settle. Which is fine; it’ll “pick up” when it hits the hot oven.

Preheat your oven to 450°F while the loaf rises. If you’re using a baking stone – which will help give your bread super-crisp crust and light texture – position it on a middle rack while the oven preheats.

Place a shallow metal or cast iron pan (not glass, Pyrex, or ceramic) on the lowest oven rack, and have 1 cup of hot water ready to go. You’re going to use the hot water to create steam in the oven, which will give the bread’s crust a pretty sheen, as well as increase its crackly crustiness.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

6. Make 2 or 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the loaf.

Don’t hold back: be quick and bold with that sharp knife (or lame)! Your bread will appear to deflate a bit; instead of wringing your hands, quickly shove it into the hot oven – onto the baking stone, if you’re using one, or simply onto a middle rack, if it’s on a pan.

Carefully pour 1 cup hot water into the shallow pan on the rack beneath. It’ll bubble and steam; close the oven door quickly.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

7. Bake.

Bake the bread for 25 to 35 minutes, until it’s a deep, golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.

That’s it. Enjoy!

Check out the other variations I made –

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

Greek Olive and Feta No-Knead Bread

Here’s a loaf with mixed (pitted) Greek-style olives and feta cheese – about 1 1/2 cups total, your choice as to the amount of each. Kalamata or oil-cured black olives are both good; don’t use anything too juicy.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

Cinnamon-Raisin No-Knead Bread

How do you get the swirl in this bread? Knead in 3/4 cup golden raisins, then sprinkle your work surface heavily with cinnamon sugar. Place the dough atop the cinnamon sugar and give it a few quick kneads and turns. It’ll pick up a very faint swirl in the middle, and be fairly heavily coated with cinnamon sugar on the outside.

No-Knead Bread Variations via @kingarthurflour

At the end of the day, here’s what became of our bucket of no-knead dough (l to r): olive and feta; cinnamon swirl-golden raisin, and cheddar jalapeño loaves.

Now go forth and create!

Have you experimented with tweaking your no-knead bread recipe? Share your innovations in “comments,” below.

comments

1. sandy

I cannot wait to start seeing the responses to this post. I love to find things to add to my no-knead bread. The suggestions here from PJ are great and I often go through the KAF bread recipes to look for ideas. Here are the variations I like best: olives (our favorite variation); dried tomato and basil (made this yesterday to go with a pasta dinner); replacing 1/2cup of bread flour with semolina (gives the crust a nice crunchy chew); adding Harvest Grains; adding Everything Bagel Topping; adding dried fruit and nuts (dried cherries and pecans are wonderful); mixing in roasted apples; adding KAF Vermont Cheddar Cheese powder; mixing in all sorts of block cheeses. I make a no-knead bread that starts with a sponge made the day before and I can put the dough together in a flash. With all he variations possible, we never have the same bread twice in a row This weekend I will try the jalapeños as an add-in. I also like the idea of adding cinnamon. Thanks PJ.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Let me know when you get started, I’ll give you directions to my desk for taste testing! ~ MJ

2. Lisa Knapschaefer

I have a similar recipe but I shred the cabot cheese instead of cubing. I have also added diced jalapenos (Trappeys brand – wipe them dry) for a added twist. Bacon would be good also but haven’t tried that.

3. Toni

I have been making no-knead bread for years, starting with the Cook’s Illustrated article that tweaked the original. Over the years I have settled on the following add-ins: substituting 5 oz. WW flour for bread flour; adding 1 T. Wheat Germ, 1 T. flax seed meal, and 2 T. minced rosemary; adding 5 t. vital wheat gluten (to compensate for the heavy add-ins), and then water+apple cider vinegar+ 4 oz. beer for flavor. To die for!

2. Michele R6

Can you help me I’m trying to recreate a lard bread my grandma used to make. I just can’t seem to get it right. Do you have any recipes for this?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Currently we don’t have a lard bread recipe online, but if you send along an email to our bakers hotline with as much detail as you can, our bakers pod will be happy to take a look. customercare[at]kingarthurflour[dot]com ~ MJ

2. Michele

Look up the recipe for Cuban Bread…a true Cuban Bread is made with Lard….I tried it and it came out perfect….had a group of friends over and made what is called Cuban Sandwiches….if you look the recipe up I am sure you will be happy…

Tom

Hi Tom – That is great! Sounds like you and your friends were pleased! Elisabeth@KAF

4. Maria

If you’re looking for the Italian onzona bread you can dice the lard or fatty prosciutto into small pieces & render in a pan . Add the link quid instead of oil & the brown d pieces along with some coarse black pepper.

3. Misa

Just last week, I tried adding walnuts (hand-crumbled into small pieces), cranberries, and a little honey (just a short squeeze of the honey bottle).
    Out of curiosity, I baked a plain loaf along with it to see the differences. The plain one rose a little bit higher but my family actually preferred the taste and texture of the walnut cranberry one. Both good!

4. Carole Palucci

I, too, am looking to recreate the lard bread of my childhood. I was thinking of adding sausage or prosciutto to the no knead recipe to see if the results are close. Perhaps substituting 1/2 cup semolina for the all purpose flour. I look forward to a recipe from the KA experts.

5. Nancy

Adding raisins and cinnamon is a favorite here. Question that I can’t seem to find an answer to in search and that I’ve been wondering for some time. What is the difference between dough left on the counter for 8-18 hours or the dough put in the frig – besides the refrigerated dough keeping longer. Will there be a distinct taste or texture difference?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Nancy,
      Great questions! Different acids will form at different temperatures, warmer, cooler or cold. Yeast also behaves differently at different temperatures, working quickly and producing more by-products when it’s warm and more slowly when it’s cool. Our bakery even uses ice water in the summer to slow down the fermentation! There’s some great information on our site about dough temperatures we hope you’ll check out. ~MJ

2. Marcia

Altitude also is a big factor in rising times and speed of baking….
      I’ve lived at 7,000′ for 7 yrs now and still find it a bit of a crap shoot. 🙁
      Thanks to KAB for providing many tips on baking/yeast baking, etc at altitude. Still, I wish it would react that way it did at sea level!! 🙂

6. Cathy

I used 1/2 all purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat (not white whole wheat) and aldded chopped walnuts and chopped dried cherries. It was a perfect combination.!

7. Marianne Ward

I came across another no knead bread using buttermilk. I was getting a little tired of the very crusty artisenal breads and was looking for more of a sandwich loaf and I think I’ve found it. I don’t have a bread machine or a stand mixer that kneads bread and I don’t always have large blocks of time so the no knead breads work for my schedule. The recipe is almost the same as your basic bread (single loaf) 16 oz. King Arthur A/P or bread flour, 1 packet of instant yeast, 2 t. Sugar, 2 t. Kosher salt, 1 C. Warm water, 1/2 C. Buttermilk. Mix the dry ingredients to blend, then add the liquids and stir til the dough is combined and shaggy. Cover and let rise a room temperature for 2 hours. The bread is now ready to either bake or refrigerate up to 7 days. When ready to bake put the dough in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and allow to rest for 40 minutes (1 hr and 40 min. if dough has been refrigerated). Preheat oven to 350*. Bake for 45 minutes, remove from pan and cool on a rack before cutting. If you decide to test this recipe I would like to know what you think of it. I have made it twice, both times successfully. Thank you.

Marianne Ward, Modesto, Ca.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for sharing, Marianne. Have at it bakers, and if anyone does make it, please feel free to post your reply here. ~MJ

8. Chris S

Just made a riff on the garlic pull-apart bread, using the crusty white bread base: 15 oz of dough mixed w/ 1/3 c of pumpernickel flavoring. Also 15 oz of dough mixed with the 12-grain flavoring. I followed the “small balls in butter” technique from the pull-apart recipe, alternating the dark and light colored balls in a 9 x 5 loaf pan and baked at 400 to an internal temp of 195. Turned out sooooo pretty and smells wonderful. The only problem is that it came out of the oven at 9:30 am, and the Easter lunch I plan to take it to doesn’t start until 1:00 pm. I’m not sure I can keep from tasting it that long…aaaargh!!!

9. Debbi

Thank you, thank you KA for the variations on the no knead bead which I am affectionately calling “bucket bread.” I was thinking about making with herbs and was not sure when to add in. Thank you for your expert advice. Will print off suggestions and no how and make tomorrow and bake on Tuesday. So enjoy Sunday and the bread round ups.

10. marijka

I rarely make plain bread. My favorite version replaces 1 cup of bread flour with whole wheat or rye and contains every raw seed in my pantry + walnuts! I add a generous 1/2 cup mixed chia, sunflower, (crushed) flax and pumpkin + a handful of chopped walnuts. Just before baking I brush on egg wash and sprinkle with a few more seeds. Yummy and nutritious as is, or for almond butter sandwiches, cheese toast, egg sandwiches, whatever!

11. stacee

I made this today, after spending 4 days in the refrigerator I made two versions – the classic white and I chose to make a cranberry pecan roll. I am thrilled with the results – it is absolutely delish. I can’t post a pic but will blog about it. much appreciation for your detailed blog directions, king arthur is a constant resource. 😉

12. aj

I just saw this post but by coincidence last week I started experimenting with adding stuff to no knead bread for the first time. I’ve been making the plain version since the original nyt recipe came out but for some reason had never gone beyond swapping out different flours until I had a craving for jalapeno cheese bread and figured I could probably make it myself.
    Since last thursday I’ve baked 3 loaves – serrano cheddar, jalapeno cheddar, and cranberry pecan. All were the basic nyt/jim lahey recipe measured by weight (with double the salt) and baked in an enameled dutch oven. All 3 were good but the jalapeno cheddar loaf (half AP/half bread flour, 1 tbsp honey, a generous cup of diced cheddar and 3 jalapenos charred on the stove burner, skinned, seeded and coarsely diced) was amazing. Just the right amount of cheesy pockets, beautiful crumb, and a nice even warmth and pepper flavor without being too spicy. I took it hot out of the oven to an easter dinner where it was inhaled and praised by everyone, even the 2 year old. I used tillamook sharp cheddar because that’s what I had, but it would probably be even more amazing with fancy cheddar.
    I’ve been stirring the add-ins in immediately after mixing the dough and adjusting the water. It doesn’t seem to affect the first rise at all, but it looks like way too much stuff mixed into the unrisen dough – I keep having to remind myself that the baked loaf will be much larger.
    One thing I discovered about baking cheese bread in a dutch oven is that while the bread doesn’t stick, those crispy cheese puddles shown in the gorgeous photo of the cheddar and jalapeno loaf? Those will stick! When I went to dump my bread out of the pot onto the counter and nothing happened. I had to carefully set the hot pot on the stove and run a spatula around the loaf to break the the cheese adhesions before I could get it out. For cheesy things it would be a good idea to use the method where you shape the loaf on parchment paper and plonk it paper and all into the pot.

1. Kay

I put my bread on a piece of parchment paper; hence no sticking to the pot even with cheese. Remove the parchment for the last 20 minutes or do.

13. Marie Bianco

On March 26, Michele asked for a recipe for lard bread. It’s a Sicilian specialty bread made with left over pieces of cured and dried meat such as soprasatta and prosciutto. No one seems to know why it’s called lard bread because Sicilians cook mainly with olive oil. The bread is made in a circle and I know once I get my hands on a loaf, it’s hard to put it down. Good luck with coming up with a recipe. It will be a winner.

1. Tom

Marie…I see your post in regards to lard bread…have you tried a recipe for Cuban Bread…true Cuban Bread is made with Lard…then you make a Cuban Sandwich with it….unbelievable sandwich…

Tom

2. Celeste

I just made a prosciutto ring today. I used the no knead dough and then followed the recipe from The Bread Bible. It turned out great!

14. Tom Dawley

Earlier I posted a reply to Michele’s post about lard bread…by mistake I put in Michele’s name under name in my post…but I found a recipe for Cuban Bread and it uses lard and comes out great..I made roles and then found a recipe for Cuban Sandwiches and had friends over…everyone loved the soft bread…

Tom

15. sandy

Roasted garlic is a great add-in. I tried it a couple of days ago as an add-in to my no knead bread and it was very good. I took about 8 cloves of roasted garlic, chopped the pulp up, and mixed into the dough. The garlic smell was really strong in the dough but when I baked the bread the garlic taste was mild. The bread was great fresh. Then I made ham and cheese panini the next day with the bread and they were really tasty. (One thing I learned … the smell of the garlic lingers in the tub I used for the dough. I have had to wash it several times and even use baking soda to get rid of the garlic smell.)

16. Donna Harriso

I just made easy no nead bread for the first time but after two hours out and two in fridge it did not rise that much ? Don’t know what I did wrong but going to bake it off anyway help please a beginning in bread making thanks for any tips would be great

Donna, when bread dough doesn’t rise well there are a number of possible causes, so it would be helpful if you could give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253(BAKE). We’ll talk over this recipe with you and help you get that bread dough rising! Barb@KAF

2. Naomi Gaskin

The original recipe says long rise in a warm room about 70degreesF. In the winter when my home is cooler I set the bowl with dough on top of the stove with the oven on for the last two hours or so. Gives a nice rise-the longer the rise, the tastier the bread. I also use warm water in the beginning to wake up the yeast which I keep in the fridge.
      I am not at all familiar with a rise in the fridge and can’t imagine how that could take place.

Naomi, bread can rise in the fridge as the cold temperature doesn’t stop the rising action of the yeast. What it does do, however, is slow it down considerably. Most shaped breads can be left to rise in the fridge overnight instead of at room temperature for 1-2 hours. This recipe is a bit different, as it does call for a long result in the fridge to help develop the gluten before the dough is shaped. Check out the original recipe here for full instructions. Kye@KAF

17. Debra Allotta

I am so excited about this bread!!!! I copied down the recipe and I can’t wait to try it!!!! I have made bread before, but it never came out the way I wanted it to. Your video and your pictures show me just exactly how I want my bread to be! I am so excited!! Have I said that before??!! I know it will come out just the way I want my bread to be! Thanks so much for the recipe and the video! Happy baking to all! 🙂

We can feel your excitement, Debra! We are happy our resources have inspired you to bake the loaf you’ve been dreaming of. Let us know how it goes, Ok? Elisabeth@KAF

2. Debra Allotta

Well let me tell you!!!! EXCELLENT bread!!!!! I was so proud of how it came out, and everyone loved it!!!! It was exactly how the video showed it would be. I have made it quite a few times. I simply love that you can get more than just one loaf of bread out of it. And also that it stays good up to 7 days!!! I have now started to experiment with different seasonings. I just love how versatile it is. I can’t tell you how very fortunate I was when I found this recipe! Thank you again!!!

18. Tom Dawley

Have to tell you…I make this dough every Wednesday..put it in the frig and on Saturday morning I make bread in my wood fired brick oven using this dough…I have made some of the best Baguettes using this recipe….you cannot go wrong with the No Knead…when you make Baguettes they suggest you make a Poolish first…but here you are making everything and letting the dough sit and develop its own flavor….comes out perfect every time…love it

Tom

1. Beverley McCarron

Hi there! I have a wood fired brick oven as well but have only used it to make pizza. I have always wanted to make bread in it but never experimented. Any pointers you could share with me?
      Cheers, Beverley

19. Herschel Atkinson

I do not know where to look for the original recipe , though I think either Cooks’ Country/Test Kitchen or Jacques Pepin had one. I know you test yours, so I trust it. Question: I miss German “Bauernbrot” Farmer’s Bread. I have seen conventional recipes that call for three to one bread flour/Rye flour ratio. Would this work with this recipe when I find it?

Herschel, I think you could use three to one bread flour to rye flour in the No-Knead Crusty White Bread recipe, but you will likely get a somewhat denser bread, and the results will probably be best when you limit the refrigeration time to a less than three days. Barb@KAF

Sounds good but I would definitely cook the sausage completely. Drain the grease and pat dry with paper towel. Then you can add both ingredients to the dough. Happy Creating! JoAnn@KAF

20. Keta Johnson Drake

I just happened on this page and am totally lost also very interested in the recipe for the no knead dough! Thank you, Keta

I invite yhou to cal our Baker’s Hotline at 855-371-2253 with your questions and a friendly baker will be happy to help you. JoAnn@KAF

Hi Ruth, on our blog posts the recipe link is located right beneath the title photo and is highlighted in orange. Here’s that link. Barb@KAF

21. AmyG

I have two loaves resting on the counter olive and parm/garlic. Can’t wait to see how they look once baked.

22. Megu

I don’t have s metal nor iron pan which can be used in the oven, can I still bake this bread without the steam?

You might skip the step of flour on the top crust and spray the bread with water just before you place it in the oven. This will take the place of a pan of water in the oven to create a nicely browned and crispy crust. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

2. Carl

When you put the bread in the oven, throw a couple of ice cubes onto the bottom of the oven. Works the same as the pan of water or misting with a spray bottle.

23. Tom Dawley

I have a small spray bottle and spray a mist of water on my dough and in the oven..works fine…actually not to sure about the pan with the water in the oven anyway…if your baking on a regular basis it might cause some problems…so I just use the spray bottle and it works great…

Tom

24. Shawne Randlett

Made this recipe on Saturday and added a few palm-rubbed grabs of dried herbs into the goop before adding the final hits of flour. Used (homegrown) oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme. Also added 3 or 4 tsp. sugar to the dough to mellow the salt flavor just a bit. Broke off a third immediately after the first rise and made a basic freeform loaf to go with stew. I was able to slice it piping hot with an electric knife. Really nice flavor and just chewy enough in texture (much better than those loaves that look nice but chew like beef jerky). Chilled the dough until Monday evening. It was dead cold, flat and rather unenthusiastic looking. I broke it in half and turned the two globs out on plenty of flour. Made rustic pizza crusts on two parchment and cornmeal lined baking sheets. The dough was cold and not terribly springy, so it behaved well and kept its stretch on the sheet without a lot of contracting. Loaded them up with homemade pizza sauce, toppings and sliced mozzarella and parmesan. Let them sit for about 15 mins more to “wake up” just a bit. 25 mins (ish) in a 450 degree oven and the crust was just golden, pleasingly crusty, and firm but tender. It had regained a decent amount of spring in the hot oven to support all the noms I threw on it without being too thick. I think this is my pizza crust from now on! Great, versatile recipe!

25. Jane Daniel

I’ve made The combo of toasted pecans, chopped dark chocolate and dried cherries. Very good. I get better results ( better integration of mix-ins) when I make one kind at a time, putting the mix-ins in at the beginning. Cooled completely and wrapped tight, it freezes fine.

26. STEVE MADDEN

Haven’t tried this recipe yet but was wondering if this could be made with T55 flour (of which I have kilo’s!) and what adjustments would need to be made to use this flour?
    Thanks!

Steve, from what we know of T55 flour, it’s lower in protein than most other flours. Since we don’t have much experience with using it in our bread recipes, it’s hard for us to say how it would work in this recipe. If it’s a T55 bread flour, it should be just fine, however. Bryanna@KAF

27. Anne

Wondering if there’s a variation for gluten free? What flour combos do you suggest for gluten free no knead bread??

Anne, gluten-free bread never really has to be kneaded, as it’s much closer to a batter than a dough. But you could take a peek at some of our GF bread recipes and add some variations–take the blog post about the GF cinnamon bread, for example–you could do something like that or make it savory by adding rosemary and olives, bacon and cheddar cheese….the possibilities are endless! Bryanna@KAF

28. Marie Bonacci

I have done Bacon and Bleu cheese crumbles, Cracked Pepper and Bleu, Cheddar and Bacon, and Rosemary, Lemon Gruyere (and or Swiss cheese). All were amazing.

1. Marie Bonacci

Yes. But truth be told, I have added all those things at the beginning. None of them particularly needed refrigeration. The bacon and cheeses were fine sitting in the dough for 8-10 hours. Not sure food safety folks would agree, but all the ones I tried were fine.

29. Barbara Smith

Love your no-knead bread. I have MS and kneading bread became so difficult that I no longer baked bread and then, out of desperation, saw your recipe and started baking again and it is wonderful. There are so many types of bread products you can make with this recipe and it is so nice to smell the hot bread baking and see how happy my husband is when the bread comes out of the oven. Thank you again for putting home-made bread back on the table again in our house. God Bless.

30. Jim Bush-Resko

I’ve been using this no-knead recipe for a while now, and I love it! I’ve used it as the base for a variety of breads, including cinnamon raisin, cheese and onion (found elsewhere on this site), dark chocolate and pecan, pizza crust, and focaccia. For the pizza crust, I substitute in 1 cup of corn meal. I have substituted in portions of other flours, such as white wheat and barley flour. I most frequently substitute 2 cups of semolina flour, which gives the bread a great texture. It is a great, wonderfully flexible recipe.

31. Stacy Williams

Our favorite no-knead variation is Parmesan and black pepper!
    Add:
    1/2 c Parmesan, shredded
    1/2 c Parmesan, cubed 1/4″
    1-2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper

This recipe is enough dough for 3 loaves (about 19 ounces each). We hope you will try it! It is fun to experiment. Elisabeth@KAF

32. Cathy

My husband is going to go out of his mind when I make the cinnamon/raisin swirl version of this! (His favorite bread “flavor”.) He’s still astonished that I can make “real” bread with yeast, even though I do fantastic cookies, pies, muffins and quick breads…I have always been afraid of yeast breads, but now I make the regular version of this bread every week for him. It IS delicious, though it’s not on my list of “can eat” foods right now. Been thinking about ways to add something to it. Thank you!

33. Eva

I’ve made olive bread with this recipe, but never with the feta. Sounds good, especially for a salt craving. Rosemary and garlic was wonderful. And I’ve also tried it with chunks of chocolate and dried cherries, but the dough needed just a bit more sweetening. I need to practice with that one. Thanks for the new ideas.

34. Cari King

My mom recently made a version with this using rye & wheat flour with add-ins of sunflower seeds and quinoa. It made a hearty delicious whole grain bread.

1. Carol

I called the hotline regarding adding in uncooked quinoa. I was advised to cook the quinoa first and not treat it as I would millet which I love as a crunchy add in.

35. Lois

I set the oven at 450. The loaf gets too brown on top and not quite baked inside. I tried putting a foil over it after 15 minutes, but not quite satisfied. Any suggestions?

Yes, Lois. Your oven may be baking hot, so lower the oven temperature by 25′ and count on baking for a longer time. Your instincts are spot on to observe what’s happening with the browning crust and tent. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

36. Kelly, Rhode Island

Hi, I would love to try the no knead bread recipe but I have 2 small double ovens that only have 1 rack each, any suggestions for the cup of water?
    Thanks

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Kelly,
      You can skip the tray of water, and just give the loaf a brush with cold water before placing in the oven. That will create some steam as well. ~ MJ

37. Frances

I am not much of a bread baker but figured I’d give this a try. Quick question I have a convection oven with option for bake setting. Do you recommend using the convection feature and adjust for time & temp?

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Frances,
      We prefer to leave the convection off when baking hearth breads like this, but feel free to give it a try sometime to see how you like it. ~ MJ

38. Terri

I made the no-knead jalapeno cheddar yesterday. Amazing and SO easy! Why buy bread? My question is can the dough be frozen and if so recommended method to prepare for freezing/thawing and baking at a later date? KAF is the best!

Thank you!

Terri, I wouldn’t recommend freezing this dough. Some of the yeast always dies in the freezer and your dough will rise better and develop more flavor if you keep it in the refrigerator rather than the freezer. Barb@KAF

39. Critter

I made 1/3 recipe – into cinnamon raisin. Got it all together & put in the fridge. The next morning baked it. Wow, excellent bread. A few days later I cut what was left into 1 & 1/2 inch slices & soaked in batter for french toast. Knock your socks off good. I used Splenda instead of sugar & an extreme amount of raisins/dried cranberries. Working our way through a cheese loaf & trying to decide what to make next. Maybe the sourdough version. Thank you so much for the recipe. My kids grew up on homemade bread & now it nice to have a much easier way to make it in my old ago. These hands can’t kneed any longer. Peace to you all…

40. Lily

I’m new at this but I would like to try a no knead bread. I have the ingredient as follows: 3 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 tsp instant yeast, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

I would like to use instead of all purpose flour or bread flour…instant corn masa flour. Is that ok to use this flour. Your comment would be most appreciated. I just want to use what I have on hand. Thank you.

Thank you.

Lily, we’re glad to hear you’re eager to try your hand at making no-knead bread. We think you’ll love this method for it’s convenience and flavor. We don’t recommend using corn flour instead of all-purpose or bread flour, as corn flour is gluten-free. That means it doesn’t have the same binding or baking properties as wheat flour. Corn flour is best used in recipes that call for it, and stick with a wheat flour for this no-knead bread recipe. Kye@KAF

41. Susan Glass

I would love to try this recipe, but want a healthier option by adding whole wheat flour. What percentage of whole wheat can I use? Do I need to add additional water? Does the amount of salt need adjusting as well?

Thanks for any help you can offer, Susan

Hi Susan,
      Lots of bakers are looking to add more whole grains into their diets these days, so we’ve added a tip for adding whole wheat flour to the bottom of the No-Knead Crusty White Bread recipe. You can absolutely make up to half of the total flour whole wheat, either our Premium or white whole wheat flours. Add an additional 2 teaspoons water per cup of whole wheat flour to prevent the dough from being too dry. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

42. anne

Can I use rye flour in the no knead bread recipe? And/or can I use your bread flavorings like the seeds, etc.

You should definitely feel free to work other seeds or flavorings into this recipe, Anne, but rye flour’s a bit of a different story. It lacks many of the properties of wheat flour, including those that develop gluten, so you’d do better to use a no-knead recipe designed for the addition of rye. Luckily, we have a great one you might want to try: http://bit.ly/1TwWP0l For more about the properties of rye, check out this blog: http://bit.ly/1RAmEWA Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

43. Tom Swedenburg

I was wondering why the loaf was covered with flour before it proofed. It seems it would be easier to simply cover with plastic. Any reason not to use a loose or tented plastic wrap?

Hi Tom,
      You’re more than welcome to use plastic wrap to cover the rising dough, but this is a sticky dough so you’ll want to grease the plastic wrap well. Even taking this step, it still might stick. It’s very sad when dough deflates at the very end of proofing, so it’s best to at least use a light sprinkle of flour on the top of the dough. Plus, it gives your loaves a nice artisan look! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

44. JoAnn Treslar

I have made quite a few variations with the no-knead bread and not a loser in the bunch – some just needed some tweaking.
    Everything Bagel Bread – scant 1/4 cup of KAF everything bagel seasoning to one third of dough batch – not: 1/3 cup – that was too much seasoning
    Olive Bread – to one third of dough batch – using dough hook, add 20 jarred marinated Kalamata olives cut up in slices and 1/4 cup King Arthur olive artisan bread flavor – leave hook on for about 25 — 30 seconds. Tried with green ripe olives, it was OK but not special like the marinated Kalamata olives are.
    Pumpernickel Bread – to one third of dough batch – using dough hook, add 1/4 cup King Arthur pumpernickel artisan brad flavoring and approx 1 rounded teaspoon of caraway seeds crushed in a mortar and pestle – need to use dough hook – leave dough hook on for about 1 – 2 minutes. Make a beautiful variegated bread dough
    Rye Bread – First time made it used scant 1 T seasoning of KAF flavoring – needs a little bit less and add 1 teaspoon caraway seeds.
    Onion Bread – to one third of dough batch – using dough hook, add little over 1/2 cup of crushed French’s French fried onions and a ½ teaspoon onion powder.
    Pizza or Focaccia Bread – use 1/8 cup of Pizza seasoning – using any more (like ¼ cup) makes the bread way too salty and had to be discarded. Can’t reduce the salt in the basis dough recipe since the whole recipes is separated into three parts. Put a little bit of olive oil on surface of dough before last rising.
    Pistachio – not made as yet, but a possibility
    I make the basic dough, divide it into thirds and add whatever version that my husband wants that day.
    I have also made pull apart dinner rolls with this dough-
    Used a measured 3 ounce each piece of dough – divided into three parts – rounded in palms and placed together to make a clover leaf roll. Slashed with a knife once on each of the three round parts (optional). Just place the rolls on a baking sheet which has been covered in parchment paper. When served each of the three portions of the roll comes apart easily and makes it a pleasure to eat. Baked rolls at 450 degrees for 14 minutes. Using hot water in bottom of oven as directed.
    For plain rolls – spray each roll lightly with baking spray and top with King Arthur Everything Bagel Topping.
    For olive rolls – chopped some plain Kalamata olives and added a little bit of olive juice, add to dough.
    For onion rolls – crush some French’s French onions and add to dough.
    For a sweet roll – add some plumped dried golden raisins and some ground cinnamon to the dough. Note: to make it into a real sweet roll could add some icing to the top of it.
    Note: on 9/5/15 when baking 6 onion rolls took 16 minutes at 450 degrees.

45. Karen

My first go with this bread and I don’t know whether to jump for joy or cry and curl up in a ball . Two loaves just out of oven , all directions followed to the letter right down to measuring the flour by weighing it with my long-awaited scale. I weighed each ball of dough ( !lb. each) and baked for 30 min. Problem : the initial rise looked like P.J.’s. I was over the moon ! Then overnight in the fridge and yes it deflated as the recipe said it would . Time to bake (24hrs. +) and it didn’t budge in my 78 degree kitchen. Out to the 85 degree garage covered with enough flour and plastic wrap was no problem . 2 1/2 hr rising and I had to bake so in they went . Only issue : knife slashes not great . A lame is in the works . Baked following all directions and even sprayed 3x in first 10-15 min. They measure 10&11 1/2″ long and about2 1/2″ high. Are they the right size ?? Your loaves all look huge compared to mine . BTW had plenty of steam in the oven using your pan and cup of hot water plus I sprayed extra . What could I have done wrong ? OR , are they perfect and I’m too dumb to know it LOL ? Any answers are appreciated ! What would I ever do without King Arthur and my alter ego , PJ ? Does she know how many BFFs she has ? THOUSANDS !!! ((Hugs)) K.

We’ve got good news, Karen. It sounds like your loaves are close to perfect! The loaves don’t tend to rise too much during the second rise–that’s okay. One thing you may want to try next time to get better structure is shaping your loaves a little tighter. We have a great video on our website that shows how to achieve the perfect boule with this dough. Make sure you’re using this technique too, and then you’ll know you’re right on track! And we’ll be sure to let PJ know where to find her alter ego if she ever finds herself searching. 🙂 Kye@KAF

46. LINDA BUBLICK

This no knead bread is wonderful! I let mine stay in frig for three days–it was tangy. Made two circular loaves and scored the top in a design and sprinkled coarse salt and a little four and popped in the oven with a steaming pan of hot water—-Baked 21 minutes and the aroma was divine!!!!!!

The loaves looked like perfection and tasted heavenly——–The remaining dough will be cinnamon bread—-This recipe is fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-

47. Lisa

When I am in a rush and I don’t feel like cutting mix-ins I add Lighthouse freeze-dried herbs. They are wonderful, chives, green onions, guacamole mix (my favorite), dill, red onions. dill, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, cilantro (I am looking at my jars) , poultry seasoning (I like for the thyme and sage). Just mix them in your dough, that’s all.

48. Linda

I have been making no-knead bread most every week since before it was a thing (40 years). Started with an oatmeal bread recipe from an antique cookbook in college that did not require kneading and took it from there.
    Over the years I have settled on a mixture I like best. All of mine have 1 1/2 cup high gluten flour, 1 cup white whole wheat and either 1/2 cup whole wheat or rye. They all have 1/4 cup bran and 3/4 cup oats,1 scant tbsp salt and 1/4 tsp yeast or 1/4 cup sourdough starter. This ratio stays the same no matter what I add. I add all the dry ingredients including add-ins during the initial mix. The liquids are 2 cups total with 1/3 being ale and 1 tbsp. cider vinegar. Of course I tweak that with more water when I see the consistency of the dough. I usually do an eighteen hour initial rise. A 1 1/2 hour second rise and bake in clay cloches at 500 degrees for 10 minutes, 425 covered for 20 and right on the stone out of the cloche for 10 more.
    My husband’s favorite is a molasses, toasted pecan, golden raisin mix. Mine is a seeded bread with 1 tbsp each of black and white sesame seeds, fennel seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, chia seeds and sunflower seeds with toasted pepitas. I worked hard on a pumpernickel recipe and it is both of our favorite but has many, many ingredients.

That is no-knead bread many, many ways, Linda! Thanks for sharing your process with us. Mollie@KAF

You sure can, Joan! As we mention in a “tip from our bakers” on the original recipe, “you can absolutely make up to half of the total flour whole wheat, either our Premium or white whole wheat flours. Add an additional 2 teaspoons water per cup of whole wheat flour to prevent the dough from being too dry.” Mollie@KAF