Easy strawberry shortcake: take five (ingredients)

If ever there was a time for strawberry shortcake – easy strawberry shortcake – it’s now.

Night comes slowly these days, reluctant to push the sun out of the sky. We linger over a late dinner, then even longer on the deck, waiting for the last tiny smear of gold to leave the western horizon.

Here in New England, these longer days herald one of our favorite times of the year: strawberry season. Swathed in netting for protection against backyard critters of all stripes, our berries grow fat. Within days, they turn from an unpromising green to white, then pink, and finally brilliant red.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

Walking out early one morning, we find four, five, a dozen or more perfectly ripe berries, needing only to be plucked, washed, hulled, and sugared in preparation for their ultimate destiny: strawberry shortcake.

At last! It’s time to break out the strawberry shortcake recipe. And since no one wants to spend time in the kitchen during these ephemeral early-summer eves, we’ll make easy strawberry shortcake.

What makes this shortcake easy? No cutting in butter, no rolling or patting – and just five simple ingredients.

1. Preheat the oven to 450°F.

Before turning on the oven, place a rack in the top third; the biscuits for this shortcake will brown better if they’re nearer the top.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

2. Measure out 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Self-Rising Flour.

That’s 6 ounces, if you have a scale. And if you do have a scale, this recipe is soooooo easy to scale up or down – to make more or fewer biscuits.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflourEasy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

3. Whisk in 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

4. Add 3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream.

That’s 6 ounces cream. Six ounces flour, 6 ounces cream. Easy to remember, right?

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

5. And 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.

It’s optional, but hey – strawberries and vanilla go together like iced coffee and a hot summer morning.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

6. Stir to make a stiff dough.

Not rocket science so far, right?

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

7. Scoop out 8 big balls of dough.

jumbo cookie scoop works well here.

8. Brush with cream. Sprinkle with sugar.

Make that coarse-grained sparkling sugar, if you’ve got it. So pretty. And what wonderful crunch it adds to shortcake, perfectly complementary to the tender biscuit beneath – and the puff of whipped cream on top.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

9. Bake for 10 minutes.

Or until biscuits are a very light golden brown. Remove from the oven. Break one open — it should be baked all the way through.

Split, top with sugar-macerated strawberries and whipped cream, and retreat to the deck.

Or that rocking chair, the one that faces directly into the sunset.

Easy Strawberry Shortcake via @kingarthurflour

10. Enjoy!

Close your eyes. Take a bite. Let the cream dissolve on your tongue, the strawberries give under the slightest pressure, the biscuit crumble into juice-soaked morsels.

That’s easy strawberry shortcake – summer’s tastiest ambassador.

To see just how simple it is to make easy strawberry shortcake, watch our video.

comments

1. Laurie

Beautiful post, PJ!
    I have been converted to biscuits made with KA self rising flour and cream. They are always tender and delicious.
    I’m deep in the heart of Texas where summer is in full swing. Looking forward to a New England trip later this summer.

2. Carol

Talk about easy! Talk about delicious. I read this blog post and knew I had to make those biscuits today. Looked in cabinet…King Arthur Self-rising flour, check. Sugar, check. Vanilla, check. Heavy cream, uh oh. Went to the store specifically to get some heavy cream. Came back and made those biscuits. Fastest recipe ever. Opened the refrigerator to get the strawberries. What! Someone ate them. Substituted blueberries. What a great dessert! Thanks for all of your amazing recipes.

1. MaryJane Robbins

OH dear, Carol! I’d be making everyone in the house hold out their fingers for tell-tale berry stains! I’m glad you used the blueberries instead and enjoyed a lovely dessert. ~ MJ

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Jessica,
      The link to the full recipe with the print option is can be found under the main photo, Easy Self-Rising Shortcakes. Enjoy! ~ MJ

2. Lisa Horvitz

Under the photo, the link goes to video. The next link with recipe I could find is for never-fail biscuits.

3. Ingrid Bennett

There should be 5 squares to the left on your computer screen. Click on the one with a + in it and you will see an option to print the recipe. I tasted these shortcakes at a July 4th cookout and just loved them. Will make these soon.

4. christina laronge

ingrid, thankyou so much for teaching me about the five boxes, i did not know. thankyou again.

3. Jessie

Did not have self-rising flour so used King Arthur’s all purpose and added 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Was so easy to mix up, just stir a bit by hand. I added 2 tablespoons more cream, my area is less humidity than most. Made seven shortcakes and flattened them slightly and sprinkled with turbinado sugar, (skipped brushing with liquid first under the sugar – was in a hurry). Baked 14 minutes. They came out just perfect. Put blueberries and whipped cream over them. The turbinado sugar stuck to the tops unaided and was wonderfully crunchy, and i liked it better than when I’ve brushed with milk or cream first on top first, previously. Thank you King Arthur for all your work on these recipes. Will be using it now for shortcake for all the berries and peaches etc.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

So glad we could add another tempting recipe to your repertoire, Jessie! PJH

2. Toni

Thanks for the tip of the workaround for self-rising flour. I’ll be using that today because I only have all purpose flour.

4. Susan

The grandkids and I bought our first local Vermont strawberries yesterday afternoon. This morning I made this recipe to go with the fresh berries as a dessert for the kids’ lunch. Tested one shortcake as breakfast with coffee…..so good, I had another! Luckily, there were still six left for the grandkids to enjoy at lunch. We used the whipped cream in the squirty can for the topping, so there is still heavy cream left to make more shortcake. So easy! A great treat for breakfast, lunch, or after dinner! Thanks!

5. Toni

I’m going to show my ignorance here but what are sugar-macerated strawberries?
    This strawberry shortcake looks so good! I was thinking of making it this weekend for Father’s Day.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Toni,
      Macerated is the fancy word for “mashing your fruit up and sprinkling with sugar”. Just use a potato masher or fork to break up the berries and then sugar them. White or brown sugar is fine, your choice. ~ MJ

6. Sally L.

I could not find the link to the recipe either. The link under the photo took me to the video, several times, and I could not find another link to this recipe.

Sally, this video does allow you to select the Self-Rising Cream Shortcake version and includes the measurements of all the ingredients. This recipe is similar, but not quite the same. Barb@KAF

7. Jane DeJong

What do I add to your Unbleached A/P flour, I cant get the self raising in the country in Ontario and have to smuggle the bags of A/P across!!

For a rough approximation of our self-rising flour, put 1 ½ tsp BP and ¼ tsp salt at the bottom of each cup, filling the rest with All-Purpose. Keep in mind that this is not an exact replication as our Self-Rising Flour is milled from a softer, lower protein wheat than our All-Purpose. Because of this you may find that you need slightly more liquid and may get a slightly less tender baked good, but it will work in a pinch! Mollie@KAF

8. Diane

Could not find printable version, so I wrote it by hand. I will try it today, and since I do not have self rising flour I will add the baking soda and salt per a prior post. Sound great!

Just make sure you use baking powder, not baking soda, Diane! Give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE if we can help. Mollie@KAF

9. René

Barb@KAF, why not creat a link to the Exact Easy Shortcake Recipe? This is The One I want, not one that is similar especially since I can’t add my notes in the recipe box. Please see what else you can do. Thanks! I’m looking forward to trying this. To cut the calories and fat, I’m going to use evaporated milk. I read a few years back that it makes a great substitute and use it routinely now.

René, I’m sorry, but we don’t have a recipe that is exactly like the video/blog recipe on our website. The closest recipe is contained in our Easy Self-Rising Biscuit Recipe. Look at the bottom under the “Tips From Our Bakers” section for tips on converting this recipe to a shortcake. But even this recipe is slightly different than the recipe used in this blog. Barb@KAF

10. Jackie

My mother always mashed at least some of the strawberries. So of course I do that as well. The flavor is so much better in my humble opinion,

11. Pearl Bellom

You posted a link where you could find recipes from places you can’t find anymore because they went out of business. I lost the connection and would greatly appreciate it if you could print it again. A am 88 years old and l love to cook and bake and especially love reading all the recipes, help and advice you offer. Thank you so much!

12. Helaine Kanegsberg

Made these this afternoon with all purpose flour adding BP, salt and a little extra cream. Got rave reviews. I used a combination of blueberries and strawberries. I will definitely make this again and again. Thanks

13. Laura

Hi, I’m trying to stay away from white flours for diabetic reasons. I know it wouldn’t taste the same, but do you think they could be made with whole wheat flour and still taste good?

Laura, because this recipe calls for self-rising flour, substituting whole wheat flour will give you a much different end result and will require multiple adjustments. This Honey Shortcake Biscuit recipe is a nice alternative if you want a whole wheat shortcake. Barb@KAF

14. Gary

Can I use Truvia 1/2 and1/2 for this recipie. Being diabetic I need to watch the sugar. Or Stevia possibly.

Gary, we don’t currently test recipes with sugar substitutes, so can’t really say whether this will work or not. We recommend following the baking directions offered on the packaging or the website of the sugar substitute you buy. Barb@KAF

15. Stuart Itter

Baffled. For years have been using the James Beard shortcake recipe featured by the food magazines. Requires hard boiled egg yolk filtered into the mix. Lot of work…always wondered why. And, has the dough flattened so that rings can cut the muffins out. Bastes the shaped dough with butter instead of cream. Everything else the same. Yours come out rougher and better. Hmmm. What to do now.

16. Lynn

Very disappointed that there is no recipe link. Scrolling through pics is not practical while cooking. Nor is a video. I would also prefer to be able to pin this recipe, so all recipes are in one place. I will stop following KAF if this is the usual

Hi Lynn,
      Thank you for sharing your feedback about with us, as it’s our hope to make our blog posts as helpful and user-friendly as possible. Most of our blog posts do include a recipe link underneath the main photo that is easily printable. These shortcakes however, are a variation of our Never-Fail Biscuits recipe, so we suggest you print this recipe and note that you can sub in 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar for the salt and add an optional 1 tablespoons of vanilla extract, if you like. I hope this helps! Kye@KAF

2. Anita

Kye, your suggestion for printing this recipe & adding the necessary ingredients worked great. Now I have it in my file & as soon as I find strawberries, I’ll make the biscuits. Thanks so much.

17. Linda

Made these the other night with only one change, no cream or sugar for the top. Used a bit of all fruit raspberry jam for the top and they were wonderful! freezes perfectly too! thanks KAF bakers for another great recipe. Trying my hand at the KAF Pain de Mei recipe Monday, stay tuned for a review…

18. sylvia

So difficult to find Print….would be so helpful if you could just include. Print Recipe at top of post.

Sylvia, thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely pass it along to our web team. Barb@KAF