Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies: Small size, big flavor

There’s something about summer in Vermont that just puts my mind at ease. Everything from the warm weather, to the lush greenery, to the abundance of farm-fresh produce makes it a magical time of year.

Since we have a fairly short growing season compared to other parts of the country, when summer hits we take full advantage. In particular, we treasure the fresh berries. Our strawberry season often lasts only a few weeks (luckily blueberries linger longer), so as soon as they hit the stands, we dive into the kitchen and start whipping up as many berry-themed recipes as we can think of.

Today we’ve got a really fun summer dessert that uses fresh blueberries and our gluten-free pie crust recipe to make the cutest little hand pies. These gluten-free blueberry hand pies are actually a cinch to whip up and they taste incredible. Their sweet blueberry filling is surrounded by two layers of flaky, buttery pie crust, then topped with a sprinkling of sugar.

Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourThey’re great for any summer occasion, but we love having these blueberry hand pies for a lazy weekend breakfast or as the dessert option at a BBQ. They freeze well, so you could actually keep them on hand for a quick grab-and-go weekday breakfast as well. And last but not least, you can totally customize the filling however you like. Not feeling blueberry? Try strawberryraspberry, peach, or even apricot!

Ready to see how to make these summery treats? Let’s dive into the recipe!

The first thing we’ll do is whip up a double batch of our gluten-free pie crust. We have a great step-by-step photo tutorial that shows you how to make it. You’re going to divide the crust in half, wrap each half, and let the pastry chill in the fridge for at least an hour. While it’s chilling you can start on your blueberry filling.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourSet a small saucepan over medium heat and stir together the following:

2 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
1/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons gluten-free flour or 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel
2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourCook the mixture until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Then transfer the cooked berries to a bowl and let them cool to room temperature.

When you’re ready to assemble your hand pies, preheat the oven to 425°F, placing a rack on the middle shelf. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourRoll each piece of pastry into a large rectangle about 7″ x 17 1/2″. With a straight edge and pastry wheel, or a 3 1/2″ square cutter, cut out ten 3 1/2″ squares from each piece.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflour

Divide the filling among 10 of the squares, using about a heaping tablespoon for each.

Whisk 1 egg and brush some of the beaten egg along the edges of each filled square.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflour

Cut a vent in the center of the other 10 squares, using a decorative cutter if you like.

Top each filled square with a vented square, and press along the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourBrush the top of each pie with the remaining beaten egg, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Transfer the pies to the prepared baking sheet.

How to make Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflourBake the pies for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.

Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies via @kingarthurflour

We hope you enjoy these hand pies. If you make them, we’d love to hear what you think!

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for our Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Gigi Felsher

Which do you think is better when cooking the blueberries, the gluten free flour or Instant Clear Gel? Is there any difference in the end product? Both are easy to obtain. Thanks.

Gigi, our Instant Clearjel will probably offer a little better thickening power, but it’s not considered a gluten-free product. Barb@KAF

2. Joanne's Gluten Free Goodies, LLC

instead of the clear gel I believe you can use cornstarch??

2. Dale

I was drawn to the recipe by the thought of home made, garden fresh berries and crust.

But there aren’t any folks who eat my baking or cooking who have to be concerned about ‘gluten free,’ so if I just find link to a good regular pie crust dough, I assume that comes out well, too?

The concern I have, as a true recipe follower and not skilled in food science, is that some things are added to a mixture to compensate for using gluten free products, and if regular flour is used, those may not be needed.

Is there a link you can point me to for a good pie crust, or should I just use the one that I always do for apple, pumpkin and cherry pies?

Thanks for keeping the tantalizing stuff coming, and the excellent photos and how-to-do tips are what makes your stuff special.

3. Mary

We are going to be in a time crunch before fireworks this year. I would like to prepare these in advance and freeze them. Could you share instructions for that? Do I totally bake them or just prepare them and freeze them for baking later?

Thanks for your help!

Mary, I would prepare them and then freeze them. Wrap them well in plastic and an airtight container before sticking them in the freezer. You should just be able to pull them out and bake them when needed. Bryanna@KAF

4. Ellen B

I made these yesterday using frozen blueberries. I had no more luck w the GF crust than I have with regular pie crust but the crust taste & consistency were good. I prefer more fruit than crust though & the fruit volume seemed a bit scant. I think this recipe could be made using a good quality fruit preserves also.

5. Denise

Is the amount (by weight) of the brown rice flour blend correct? The instructions read 13 oz GF multipurpose flour, but only 5 3/4 oz brown rice flour blend. Thanks!

Yikes, good catch, Denise! It looks like we forgot to double the amount of the brown rice flour blend – it should be 13 oz of the GF Multipurpose Flour or 11.5 oz of the homemade brown rice flour blend. We’ll work on getting that updated on the recipe asap thanks to your keen eyes! Mollie@KAF

6. Ann Dietrich

I was advised by KA to substitute the recipe for blueberry hand pies for the raspberry puff turnover pastry, when I asked if I could just use KA gluten free flour (and maybe some xanthan gum). I really wanted to make the pastry from raspberry puff turnovers, but make them gluten free. If not, then I guess that making the turnovers with this pastry would be my only option.
    I see that Measure 4 Measure is out, but is not in the stores yet. I guess the latter would work for the raspberry turnover recipe?

Unfortunately, Measure for Measure does not work well for the recipe used for Raspberry Puff Turnovers. This dough is a blitz puff pastry and after some testing, the several turns do not work well in final result. You could try it with just one turn but it may not hold up as well for turnovers. Instead, only for a pastry base in place of classic puff. Good luck! Elisabeth@KAF

Beth, although our recipe pages can be pinned, the blogs are not currently able to be pinned. I will pass along your suggestion. Barb@KAF

7. Jacki T.

I’ve used tapioca flour as a thickener, it’s gluten free and works great for fruit, sauces and gravy.

8. Shelly Thomas

I do not eat eggs. Can I use something else instead of egg to hold the two pastry squares together and to brush the top of each square? Thanks.

Shelly, you could use water or milk and then fold over the edges and crimp them together to seal the hand pies. Brushing the tops with milk and sprinkling with sparkling sugar before baking will provide a nice finish. Barb@KAF

9. Rita

If you prepared them, no baking, and then froze them, how long would you need to adjust the baking time as they would be frozen? They look delicious! Thanks!

Rita, we haven’t tried to freeze these unbaked and we’re a little concerned they won’t hold up well. You could certainly experiment! Baking time would likely be about five minutes longer, but definitely keep an eye on them! Barb@KAF

10. Connie S

Absolutely delicious! I love your gluten free pie crust recipe. It always comes out perfect. I just love all of your gluten free recipes. I have become the baker when there are parties to go to. They all love the gluten free desserts I make and always comment that it’s so much better than any regular flour bake goods they buy.

11. Jen

These were probably the ugliest hand pies ever, but they were delicious! I didn’t have enough blueberries, so I added strawberries and raspberries but didn’t use quite enough extra flour to thicken the juicier berries sufficiently, so it was tricky to seal the edges. I also had some trouble with the dough coming apart as I tried to move it, so ended up cutting bigger squares and just folding them in half around the filling. Either way, what they lacked in beauty they made up for in taste (and the delight of eating hand pies even though we have to be GF)!

It does not matter how you make the turnover. Pop-tart style (like this blog illustrates), squares, triangles, half circles, rectangles, whatever! Once mine are sealed, they can look a little rough around the edges. So, I use my pizza roller to trim them back so they look clean and crisp. Works every time! Elisabeth@KAF

Geraldine, we have tried using arrowroot as a thickener and we’ve found that it works well in practically all fruit pie fillings. It’s a bit harder to find in the grocery store, so our recipes usually call for thickening with cornstarch or (gluten-free) flour. However, feel free to use arrowroot instead of cornstarch or use half as much if you’re replacing flour in a recipe. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

12. Melissa

My 3 year old daughter was just diagnosed with celiac disease, it flipped our world upside down. I love to bake, but now I’m trying to find the best gluten free recipes that don’t taste like paper. This recipe is incredible!! It’s the first gluten free pie crust recipe that actually tastes good. And my daughter loved it, which is a huge bonus!! Thanks for the recipe!

It’s our pleasure to make gluten-free baking a little easier and a little more delicious, Melissa. Mollie@KAF