Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong: Challenge #3

bakealong-logoWelcome to our October Bakealong challenge. Each month we’ll announce a new recipe for you to try, along with helpful tips and step-by-step instructions here in our blog. We invite you to bake, then share a photo of your creation, tagging it with #bakealong. Enjoy!

King Arthur Flour has proclaimed October as Bake for Good Month. In recognition of this, October’s Bakealong challenge features Everyday Whole-Grain Bread, a recipe that’s been baked and the loaves donated to hundreds of thousands of needy families around the country.

Our Bake for Good: Kids program teaches middle school kids how to bake bread — and how to share with those less fortunate, as well. Thus far, we’ve reached over 300,000 kids (and their families) with this program.

If you’re inspired to make the pledge to bake for good with us this month, this simple recipe’s the perfect candidate. Keep one loaf for yourself; give the other away. A friend, a neighbor, a local firefighter, or one of your community’s countless volunteers will enjoy bread that’s ideal for sandwiches, toast, French toast, grilled cheese, or …

Want to #bakeforgood? This whole-grain recipe is a great place to start. Click To Tweet

If you’ve never baked yeast bread before, now’s your chance. For the perfect loaf, check out our bread technique tip videos.

And if you’re a more seasoned baker, don’t feel you have to limit yourself to just a plain loaf. Make the dough, then shape, fill, and top it as you like; it’s the perfect blank canvas, ready and waiting for your most imaginative treatment.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Make the dough

Combine the following in a large bowl:

2 cups warm water
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast or instant yeast (1 packet yeast)
3 cups (12 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
3 cups (12 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Mix everything together, and then knead until smooth. The dough will be a bit sticky; it’ll cling just a bit to the kneading surface, or sides of the bowl (above).

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Place the kneaded dough into an oiled bowl. If you’ve prepared the dough by hand, go ahead and use the same bowl you mixed it in.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Let the dough rise

Cover the dough with plastic wrap (or a clear shower cap, as I’ve done here).

Place the dough somewhere warm (65°F to 75° is ideal) to rise until it’s doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

I guess maybe I should have used a larger bowl!

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a smooth round. This makes it easier to divide in half — which is your next step.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Shape the loaves; let them rise

Divide the dough in half, and shape each piece into an 8″ to 10″ log, or even longer if you like. If you’re using a bread pan, make it 8″; if you’re going freeform, the loaf can be whatever length you want. For more shaping ideas, see the end of this post.

Tent the loaves with lightly greased plastic wrap, and let them rise for 30 minutes.

While the loaves are rising, preheat your oven to 375°F.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

See how both loaves have expanded after just 30 minutes?

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Bake the bread

Bake the risen loaves for about 30 minutes, until they’re golden brown. If you have a digital thermometer, the internal temperature at the center of each will be about 190°F.

Remove the sandwich loaf from its pan, brushing its crust with melted butter, if desired. Transfer both loaves to a rack to cool completely.

So you’re already a good bread baker, and would like to spread your wings a bit?

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Try some interesting variations

Make a couple of seeded braids. For two loaves, divide each half of the dough into three pieces, and braid. Brush with water and sprinkle with seeds, if desired. Bake as directed in the recipe above.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Or a nice big batch of dinner rolls. This recipe will make 32 small rolls. Place the rolls in lightly greased pans (8″ or 9″ round, 8″ or 9″ square, or 9″ x 13″), let them rise, and bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven.

Everyday Whole-Grain Bread Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Or cinnamon buns. Of course.

Make a filling of a generous 1 cup brown sugar + 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon. Divide the dough in half, roll each half into a 16″ x 8″ rectangle, and sprinkle with the filling. Roll up the long way, and cut each log into 16 buns. Place them in the pans of your choice, leaving a bit of space among them for the dough to rise. Let the buns rise, then bake for about 20 minutes in a preheated 350°F oven. When lukewarm, ice with confectioners’ sugar mixed with enough milk or cream to make a smooth, spreadable frosting.

And remember to #bakealong!

Note: For all of you gluten-free bakers out there, our Gluten-Free Whole-Grain Bread recipe is a good choice for this month’s Challenge.

We hope you’ve enjoyed this Bakealong Challenge; once you’ve baked your masterpiece, remember to post its picture, hashtag: #bakealong. And be sure to check back on Nov. 1 for our next challenge. Hint: You absolutely positively can’t get through the month of November without baking THIS…

comments

1. Nancy Mock

Ooh, my whole family will be happy to hear that I’ll soon be baking bread for this month’s Bakealong! I’ll definitely be thinking on a creative twist to add to the loaves, something cheesy perhaps. Since I don’t normally bake with whole wheat flour that will be a challenge for me as well. I can’t wait to get started!

2. Lyn C

Like making something to use for the “share” program. And thanks for using white whole wheat flour so we can use it from last month.
    Question: if I use KAF bread flour instead of the all purpose flour, do I need to make any adjustments anywhere?

Lyn, bread flour is slightly higher in protein than all-purpose flour, so you might notice that your dough feels a bit stiff and more dry due to higher absorption. If it does, add additional water by the tablespoonful until it feels slightly tacky to the touch. You might like the rise you get using this flour! Kye@KAF

2. Lyn C

Thank you KAF for your earlier reply. The results with the Bread flour were excellent and the warning about the water very helpful. In fact I had to add about 6 tablespoons of water to get it to a nice kneadable consistency. I know that seems like a lot! I think it is because I store my bread flour in a vacuum container and it was very dry as a consequence. I added KAF whole grain blend on top and that was definitely a plus. Next time I might try substituting some of the sugar with the boiled apple cider from last month.

What a clever way to add a bit of last month’s challenge to this month’s! We bet the boiled cider will complement the whole wheat flour perfectly! Kye@KAF

3. Gwen

It seems like there is a lot of sugar to me. Is it essential? I know we need some sugar to activate the yeast, but 1/4 cup seems like a lot. Am I missing something?

Gwen, the sugar helps the loaf brown, stay fresh for longer, and also ensures a pleasant rise (sugar acts as yeast food). However, you can safely reduce the sugar to 2 tablespoons if you like without changing the final result drastically. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

4. Kathy

When making whole wheat bread should I rest my whole wheat flour in warm water before making the bread recipe?

Rather than hydrating the flour alone, Kathy, we often recommend letting the dough rest for 20 minutes between mixing and kneading, especially if the dough feels especially sticky. This gives the flour a chance to absorb the water and lose its stickiness. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

5. linda lucas

Would love to do the braided loaves, look great. Do I just make ropes and braid instead of a loaf after the first rise? And did you brush the top w/egg wash to adhere the seeds? If I want to use honey, is that a 1:1 change or is math involved?
    thanks for your help and happy baking!

Great questions, Linda. We have a helpful video demonstrating how to braid a three stand loaf on our website that can give you some guidance. You can brush the top with an egg wash if you’d like to add seeds. If you’re going to use honey instead of sugar, use three tablespoons as it is slightly sweeter than sugar by volume. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

We’re glad to hear you’re going to Bake for Good, Mayre! Bake the rolls for about 18-20 minutes or until they look golden brown and the inside measures 190°F on an instant-read thermometer. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

6. Caroline Harris

What can I substitute the vegetable oil with?
    I am trying to make healthier breads for my family and love all your receipies and am wanting to make them all.

Thanks for your eagerness to give this recipe a try, Caroline! Any liquid fat — melted butter, olive oil, canola oil, etc. — can be substituted for the vegetable oil here if you so choose. The oil can also be left out, but you will lose some tenderness, and you may need to add a bit extra liquid to get to the desired dough consistency (we’d recommend only adding it if the dough feels like it needs it). Oil also helps to keep the bread fresher longer, so you may find that it doesn’t last quite as long as expected if you leave out the oil entirely. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

2. Adriane Suhayda

I always sub vegetable and canola oil with healthy coconut oil and love the results! Coconut oil is a solid unless heated to somewhere around 80°F so I usually melt mine by placing on top of a warm oven and that does the trick!

7. Rena M

Love the KAF site and have learned so much. My question is about flour- I only use KAF and really do notice a difference in rise from what I was using in past. My Mother taught me to keep flour in the freezer. When I’m ready to make a dough should I let flour come to room temp before using? Does cold vs room temp even matter?

Rena, yes, it does make a difference. The cold flour will tend to cause the overall dough temperature to drop and this will slow down the rise. For best results I would recommend allowing your flour to come to room temperature before adding it to your recipe. Barb@KAF

2. Kris

I had this exact same question. Thanks for asking it. Can I jump in and ask how long can I safely store the white whole wheat in the freezer? I store it in the original bag inside a freezer ziplock.
      Thanks!!

Kris, you can usually extend the shelf life of whole wheat flour by about 6 months past the best by date if stored in the freezer. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

8. Tina

Can’t wait to try this bread. I was thinking of exchanging the white wheat flour with sprouted wheat. Do I have to make any changes to make it work? Thanks

Tina, this should work fine, although you may find that the bread rises a bit more quickly with the sprouted wheat flour, so keep an eye on it! Barb@KAF

9. Barbara R

Found a great tip. If you want to put sesame seeds or poppy seeds on top, dip finger in egg wash, then place on top of bread. The you won’t have seeds all over the place and they will stay in place better after baking.

10. ExEd

I baked a braid and a loaf pan. I substituted maple syrup for the sweetener and added a third of a cup of sunflower seeds to the dough. I used an egg white wash before sprinkling the loaves with poppy seeds and sesame seeds. I used the bread pan pictured, but next time would use a slightly smaller pan.

Diedre, we’d love to troubleshoot this recipe with you and help you figure out why your bread didn’t rise like the one in the picture. Please give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253(BAKE). Barb@KAF

11. Steve Schwarcz

I would like to bake a 100% whole wheat bread and thus change this Everyday Whole-Grain Bread recipe. Can I change/replace the white whole wheat flour and the unbleached all-purpose flour with only whole wheat flour?
    Do I need to change the recipe to accommodate the whole wheat flour in its entirety?
    Zoli

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Zoli, go ahead and make that change; you may find you need to increase the water by a tablespoon, and do let the dough rest for 20 minutes or so before kneading. Your better bet might be simply to follow one of our 100% whole wheat bread recipes, like this one: Classic 100% Whole Wheat Bread. Enjoy — PJH

12. Steve Schwarcz

The 100% whole wheat recipe calls for 1/4 cup of milk. Can I substitute something else instead of milk since I can not have dairy or perhaps, do away with milk in its entirety without compromising the quality?
    Zoli

Steve, milk (wet or dry) adds tenderness to your loaf, so while dry milk can simply be left out, you may find that you miss it. As an alternative, you can substitute lukewarm nut, rice, soy or other dairy-free milk for the 1/4 cup dry milk and lukewarm water called for in this recipe. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

It depends on the size of your bread maker, Leigh. If your machine makes a 1.5 to 2 pound loaf, then you may consider dividing the recipe in half. Or if you’d like to use the machine to simply mix and knead the bread, you can add all of the ingredients to the bucket of your machine and then take it out to let it rise in a larger bowl once its kneaded and proceed with the recipe by hand. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

13. Don Perkins

I am lactose intolerant and I have been unable to find lactose free dry milk. If I use liquid lactose free milk, what other adjustments should I make?

Don, this recipe doesn’t call for any dry milk so you can proceed with the recipe using water and the other ingredients called for. However, if you do come across a recipe that calls for Baker’s Special Dry Milk, you can omit it and instead use your favorite non-dairy milk to replace the water in the recipe. (Just be sure to use an unsweetened, unflavored variety.) Happy baking! Kye@KAF

14. Kim

If I want to make the dough in my bread machine, should take it out before it starts to rise? I’m thinking if I make the full recipe, it’ll overflow the bucket.

We’re thinking the same thing, Kim. Consider using your bread machine just to mix and knead the dough, and then let it rise in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Proceed with the recipe using your hands so you have the most control over the rise and shape of your loaves. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

15. Mary

Can I replace the white whole wheat flour with regular whole wheat flour. If so what adjustment would have to be made to the recipe?

Mary, go ahead and use whole wheat flour instead of white whole wheat if that’s what you have on hand. The whole grain flavor will be slightly more robust and the resulting loaf will be darker in color, but overall it will bake similarly and be equally delicious! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

We have a whole High-Altitude Baking Guide that includes a specific section about yeast breads. We recommend reducing the yeast by about 25% and consider putting the bread through three rises (instead of two) if you notice the dough is expands very quickly. Adjust the dough with flour and water as necessary to get the proper consistency dough. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Mary, the kneading happens almost right after the start of the recipe in step 2. Bring all the ingredients together and then knead the dough until it forms a smooth, slightly tacky ball. If you need a refresher on how to knead dough, check out this video on our website. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Sara, you can use this video about how to shape a sandwich loaf to help guide you. Simply put the shaped loaf on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper instead of placing it in a loaf pan, and slash it right before it goes into the oven. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Welcome to the King Arthur Flour community, Marianne! We’re so happy to have you. Enjoy what you find as you explore this blog. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

16. Layne

This bake along is like having a kitchen-full of friends – love it!
    Can I add sour dough starter? Any adjustments?

Layne, we’re glad to hear you’re eager to bake for good! You sure can add some sourdough starter into this recipe. We wrote a full blog post detailing how to do so most successfully. Check it out here for full instructions on how to make the swap. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

17. Mary Beth

I would like to try this bread with an addition of cranberries and walnuts. Will the recipe need to be modified I need any way?

Mary Beth, you could certainly add cranberries and walnuts to this recipe, although the bread will probably not rise quite as well. Limit additions to a cup or less and work them into the dough towards the end of the kneading process. Barb@KAF

18. Jenny

I substituted melted butter for the oil & used whole wheat flour (what I had). It’s rising now & will be going along for a girls’ weekend retreat. 😊

19. Kathi Valentine

I want to thank you for your informative answers to all these questions. I’m a beginner bread baker. My first try came out pretty good. Everything after that was horrible. But, watching your videos and reading your blog plus watching YouTube I have gotten much better. Lately all my bread has turned out pretty darn good!! I only use King Arthur Whole Wheat and KA bread flour. I prefer honey over sugar so trying to figure out how much to use is a challenge for me.
    Thanks again for all your help. 🍞

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Keep practicing, Kathi — sounds like you’re well on your way to becoming a fantastic bread baker! PJH

Lynda, you can use your bread machine to prepare the dough, but you’ll need to take the dough out of the bucket after it has finished kneading since it’s such a large quantity. You can let the dough rise in a large bowl and then proceed with the recipe by hand. If you’d like to use your bread machine from start to finish, you’ll want to divide the recipe in half. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Deb, you could substitute a small amount of the whole wheat flour with oat flour (not more than a cup). The oat flour will not develop gluten, so by substituting this flour you may end up with slightly denser loaves. Barb@KAF

20. Judith O

I thought I was off to a bad start (had to substitute Bread Flour for All Purpose; had to substitute Whole Wheat for Whole Wheat White Flour) – but, reading the above, I am encouraged that my loaves will not suffer. I can confirm that additional water was in fact necessary – and added not quite 1/4 cup. This was warm water by the way to keep the dough temperature where it needs to be. In Houston, we have high humidity, so I never use more than just a kitchen towel to cover the bowl during rising. Will report back later.

21. Mary Houdyshell

This turned out perfect. Gave a loaf to my granddaughters and one to my neighbour and they were gone in a day.

22. Sarah DeMun

Made with half whole wheat and half white flour, kneaded it using my kitchenaid mixer. It rose wonderfully. Baked one large loaf in my 9×4 pan. Loved the tip about checking the interior temperature with a stick thermometer. Worked like a charm. Not as flavorful as a hearty whole wheat bread, but makes a nice loaf for toast or sandwiches.

Gwen, I would recommend reducing the baking temperature by 25° when using a glass baking pan. Barb@KAF

Sue, you’ve almost got it right. Let the dough rise one at room temperature, shape and slice the rolls, and then put them in the fridge (covered with plastic wrap) to rise in the fridge overnight. (Skip the second rise at room temperature.) In the morning, take the rolls out as your oven preheats, and then bake as you normally would. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

23. Meg

I love this bread! I have tried so many wheat bread recipes over the years and they never passed the kid test (as in will my children eat it). The loaves were too dry, dense, or tasted too much like wheat bread for their taste. This one is a winner! It has a subtle flavor, is remarkably soft, and holds together wonderfully for sandwiches. Next time I plan on making an extra batch of dough to try out the cinnamon roll variation. Yum!

24. Regina

Can you use a covered bread pan to make a flat top loaf (forgot the name of the pan)? If so what size pan will work? Thank you

25. Parezade Mama

Hi,

Thank you for the receipe….it made the most perfect wholewheat bread….I made it into an apple cinnamon swirl…simple receipe ….great results.

26. Nancy Mock

I baked this bread with 100% Whole Wheat flour instead of White Whole Wheat and the recipe still worked beautifully. The baked loaves were soft and so delicious! I liked the look of the seeded braids in your photos above, so I tried a combination of dried, chopped onion with nigella seed and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. The combo gave the loaves a great, savory crunch… and we cannot stop eating it!

27. Vonnie

love this recipe ! bread was perfect and the cinnamon rolls awesome.I baked them on parchmen paper after they baked I turned them over on cooling rack all the gooey filling ran back through rolls making them so yummy. Love KAF learn something new all the time.Bakealong is so much fun.

28. Mira

Hi,
    I am new to your site and new to baking with yeast. In the recipe, you mention
    using ” active dry yeast” or ” instant yeast ” ?
    What is the difference? Baking temperature ? Time ? Taste ?
    Thanks for the answer….
    ~~ Mira

Mira, we’re so glad you found your way to us! Despite differences in the size of the granules, we find that these two types of yeast can be used interchangeably. You can read more about both types in our blog article entitled “Which yeast to Use”: http://bit.ly/2fGcZXu Let us know how else we can help get you headed down the road to yeast baking success! Mollie@KAF

29. Sunny

Two questions. 1. What is the process if you want to freeze the rolls/cinnamon roll dough and then de-frost and bake? 2. Is it possible to halve this receipt? If yes, are there any ingredients that cannot be halved?

Sunny, yes, this recipe can be easily halved, but might we tempt you to bake both loaves and share one with a friend or neighbor instead (in the spirit of our Bake for Good Campaign: http://bit.ly/Po8KPx)? Our blog post on freezing to save time during the holidays will also walk you through how to freeze (and defrost) shaped rolls or cinnamon rolls: http://bit.ly/1blpfyB Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

30. D. Magargal

Could you bake this bread in a Dutch oven to make it more of an artisan oaf? If so…what change to the recipe would be needed? Thanks!

D, artisan style loaves are typically made from straight doughs (those that are made from just flour, salt, water, and yeast) like this No-Knead Crusty Whole Wheat Bread: http://bit.ly/2fGd6QX By comparison, this enriched dough won’t ever have quite the same texture, but you could give it a go in a Dutch oven anyways. We’d suggest putting the bread in a cold oven, and setting the oven temperature to 450°F.
      Once the oven is up to temp, bake the bread for 25-30 minutes with the lid on. Then remove the lid and continue to bake until it becomes deep brown in color, and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers about 205°F. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

You sure can, Renate. Just substitute 8 oz (1 cup) of your sourdough for 4 oz (1 cup) of the flour and 4 oz (1/2 cup) of the water called for in the recipe. If the starter is coming straight from the fridge, you may want to use even warmer water for the remaining water so as not to slow the rise down too much. Hope this helps and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

31. Maggie Brier

Is your white whole wheat flour processed in the same nut-free facility as your all-purpose flour, or is it processed where there may be cross contamination?

Thanks for asking, Maggie. Our five Signature Flours (All Purpose, Bread, Whole Wheat, White Whole Wheat, and Self-Rising, plus their Organic versions) don’t have peanuts or tree nuts added to them as ingredients and are milled in dedicated wheat-only facilities. KAF’s specialty flours (e.g., French-style, Italian-style, First clear, etc.), plus many of our mixes and ingredients, are prepared here in our Vermont facility where they share equipment with tree nuts. Please keep in mind that we do not test our finished products for allergens. Because of this, we can’t guarantee there’s never the opportunity for them to come in contact with allergens, for instance, on shared equipment or during shipping or storage. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions for you. Kye@KAF

32. Jill

why isn’t there a print recipe link on this post like the August and September Bakealong posts? I really like the format that was used on that link and wanted to keep all the printed recipes together.

We’re glad to hear that you’re collecting them, Jill! Not to worry, if you click through to the recipe page itself, you can click on “print recipe” to get the same printable format. Mollie@KAF

33. Laura Graham

I love this recipe!!!! I make it at least once every two weeks. I love it just as is, free form or making it into a a cinnamon sugar swirl loaf. It is a go to and so easy. I find mine needs longer than the recipe states to rise and maybe a little more water (but that is probably due to my measuring skills). It is a forgiving recipe and produces a light textured and flavored bread. It is so easy and soooooooo good! Our most recent house guest thought I was such a good baker when I made this…Thank you KAF because I could only give your recipe credit. I love that I have an internal temp to tell me when the loaf is done, so easy! It is always done perfectly and no second guessing.