Measure for Measure: gluten-free for fall, simplified

Have you tried our Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour yet?

If so, you already know what a valuable addition to your pantry it is. If not — you have to give Measure for Measure a try. It’s your one-stop solution for taking your mom’s pancake recipe, that family-favorite banana bread, or your secret recipe for chocolate chip cookies — and turning them from gluten-full to gluten-free, simply by swapping out the flour.

Turn regular recipes gluten-free with one simple substitution: Measure for Measure flour. Click To Tweet

That’s right: no adding an egg, figuring out xanthan gum, or increasing/decreasing liquid. Simply swap Measure for Measure 1:1 for all-purpose or whole wheat flour, and proceed with your recipe as written. (Except yeast recipes; this new flour isn’t suitable for yeast bread and rolls. If you’re looking for gluten-free yeast recipes, we have a great selection on our site.)

Let me show you the yummy fall treats I’ve been making with Measure for Measure lately —

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting

This is the No. 1 apple recipe on our site. Filled with chopped fresh apples, nuts, raisins (or dried cranberries), and plenty of autumn spices, it’s the perfect base for its caramel-fudge frosting.

To tell the truth, this is a picture of our standard Old-Fashioned Apple Cake, not the Measure for Measure version; my husband whisked the Measure for Measure cake off to his fellow Audubon volunteers before I had the chance to photograph it! But from all reports, it was very well received — and no one could tell it was gluten-free.

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Banana Bread

This doesn’t look like gluten-free bread, does it? Banana bread is the most searched for bread recipe online, and our classic version features vanilla and cinnamon, honey and nuts, and a secret ingredient for added flavor and moistness: jam or marmalade.

The other secret ingredient? Measure for Measure flour. Make this bread for the bake sale; I guarantee it’ll be snatched up immediately.

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Classic Double Pie Crust with Measure for Measure

Now, here’s one place where Measure for Measure flour does produce a different result: in pie crust. At the top, standard pie crust. Below, pie crust made with Measure for Measure. The crusts are equally tender, nicely crisp, and both brown well. The standard crust will have larger flakes, though; while the Measure for Measure crust is more of a “short” crust, with finer texture.

Would I make my favorite custard pie in either crust, though? You bet.

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Pumpkin Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting

Had you at the cream cheese frosting, right? These moist bars, with their rich frosting and a topping of toasted walnuts, are quintessential autumn.

Make a half-sheet pan (18″ x 13″) batch, cut in squares, and bring to the tailgate. When someone says they’re eating gluten-free, smile and hand them a pumpkin cake bar.

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Whole Wheat Waffles

Chillier mornings bring out the baker in you, don’t they? When you’re gearing up for a Saturday at the soccer field or doing yard work, waffles get things off to a great start.

These whole wheat waffles offer the nutrition of whole grains. As does the Measure for Measure version, since Measure for Measure is made from — surprise! — gluten-free whole grains.

Measure for Measure via @kingarthurflour

Pumpkin Cake Doughnuts

“Baked, not fried” — that’s the mantra that distinguishes our favorite fall doughnuts. Spoon the batter into a couple of doughnut pans, bake (less than 20 minutes), shake in a bag of cinnamon sugar to coat, and enjoy.

Eating and baking gluten-free doesn’t have to be a hassle. You don’t need all kinds of special ingredients; you don’t have to seek out and test gluten-free recipes.

All you need is the single ingredient that ensures successful gluten-free baking, from apple pie to zucchini bread: King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour.

comments

1. Darlene

When using this in recipes to substitute for all purpose flour, do I still add the salt and baking soda (or baking powder) called for in the original recipe? Thanks.

You do, Darlene. Measure for Measure is formulated to be a 1:1 substitution for All-Purpose Flour, everything else about your recipe (including the salt and leavening agent) stay the same. Happy, simple gf baking! Mollie@KAF

2. Marge O'Leary

I have used measure for measure for several months now. Cookies and muffins have turned out very well and most have not noticed any difference in taste or texture. I did try the puff pastry recipe and was not happy as it did not puff up as usual and taste was bland. I am anxious to try pie crust.

Hi Damy,
      Thanks for asking. Our team is prepared to ship orders outside of the U.S., and we’re happy to send you the details of our process. Please send us an email with the items you would like to order as well as the shipping address. We’ll send you a quote for the order plus shipping to see if you would like to proceed. We look forward to helping you with this! Kye@KAF

This time of year does create a longing for them doesn’t it, Bridget? While we don’t have a designed-to-be gluten-free recipe for apple cider doughnuts, you should be able to substitute Measure for Measure 1:1 for the wheat flour called for in either of our recipes for Cider Doughnuts: http://bit.ly/1Uvth0L or http://bit.ly/2d95yGo Happy gluten-free baking! Mollie@KAF

3. Lauren

Do you have a list of ingredients for your Measure to measure gf flour? We have other allergies besides gluten (such as egg yolks and sesame) so I need to look at all ingredients

Thanks for asking, Lauren. We understand the desire to pay close attention to ingredients, and we aim to make this information as accessible as possible. When looking at a given product (like this one: http://bit.ly/1XYkpWt), click on the “nutrition + ingredients” button just under “add to wish list” to see the full product label (like this one: http://bit.ly/1Q4PmFg). Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

Diana, this flour does not contain any dairy products, and is produced in a facility that has a robust allergen control program, but we do not test for this allergen, so can’t guarantee it never comes in contact. Barb@KAF

4. Sharon

I’m so happy you’ve made a flour that can be easily substituted for regular flour! I used the Measure to Measure flour to make chocolate chip cookies (the recipe posted on your website). They were delicious the first day, but very dry the next. This leaves me wondering where I went wrong. Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you!

Sharon, gluten-free baked goods do tend to dry out more quickly than regular baked goods. To extend the freshness of your GF baked goods you may want to freeze a portion to enjoy later. Barb@KAF

Beth, we think Measure for Measure should work well for a roux for gravy, but you might want to try an experiment before the big day. Let us know how your gravy turns out! Barb@KAF

5. Lee Dusio

Lee
    I would like to see some gluten free, sugar free recipes. My son is celiac and diabetic. I use the gluten free recipes and substitute stevia or monk fruit for the sugar. Any suggestions?

Lee, we don’t currently test our recipes with sugar substitutes, so aren’t able to offer advise on using them. I would refer to the baking recommendations offered by the company that makes the type of sugar substitute you like to use. I will definitely pass along your request that we develop some gluten-free and sugar-free recipes. Barb@KAF

6. shirley horst

Where is your measure for measure flour available in my area? I live in Nebraska, Grand Island and Hastings are my go to towns to shop.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Shirley, while the Hy-Vee in Grand Island could carry Measure for Measure if they wished, they don’t currently. If you’d like them to, ask to speak to the grocery manager and put in your request. Barring that, you can always purchase Measure for Measure right on our website. It’ worth pursuing, trust me! PJH

7. KitchenKitty

I made the apple cake with Trader Joe’s gluten free flour and it was not very successful. It was extremely crumbly and extremely sweet. The ingredients are nearly the same in the two GF flours so I am wondering how you got the recipe to work with the King Arthur GF Flour. Did it really look like the one baked with regular flour?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Yes, it did look like the cake baked with regular flour, and tasted good, too. We find that with gluten-free flours, though, you do need to bake things to the outside range of the times called for; better to over-bake a tiny bit than under-bake at all. Perhaps your Trader Joe’s cake simply wasn’t baked long enough? PJH

8. Jessica

I just read the ingredients list. Thank you for listing everything, as I have other allergies. Also, thanks for making it dairy free as I can’t have dairy.