Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones: An easy spin on our classic recipe

Pumpkin season has arrived, and we couldn’t be more excited! The warm aromas of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg fill our homes, and there’s a cozy feel to the air around us. Luckily for all of us pumpkin lovers out there, we have tons of recipes to choose from, especially in the gluten-free department. So far we’ve made our gluten-free pumpkin doughnuts and gluten-free pumpkin bread, and now we’re on to these tender gluten-free pumpkin scones!

These scones? They’re the perfect edition to your fall feast — soft, pillowy, and filled with flavor. And they couldn’t be easier to make!

Because we’re using our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure flour in this recipe, we just took our standard Harvest Pumpkin Scones recipe, swapped out the all-purpose flour for the exact same amount of Measure for Measure flour, and that was it. Measure for Measure takes out all the hassle of gluten-free baking. No more converting. No more worry about adding gums. Measure for Measure has you covered!

Ready to see how easy? Let’s get baking!

How to make gluten-free pumpkin scones

Prepare the ingredients

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together:

2 3/4 cups Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

How to make gluten-free pumpkin scones

Work in 1/2 cup of cold butter, just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly. Don’t worry about larger chunks! Stir in 1 to 2 cups chopped crystallized ginger, cinnamon chips, or chocolate chips, if you’d like.

How to make gluten-free pumpkin scones

In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together:

2/3 cups canned pumpkin
2 large eggs

Beat together until smooth.

How to make gluten-free pumpkin scones

Add the pumpkin and egg to the dry ingredients and stir until everything is moistened and holds together.

Shape the gluten-free pumpkin scones

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; if you don’t have parchment, just use the pan without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan.

Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Round each half into a 5″ circle (if you haven’t incorporated any add-ins); or a 6″ circle (if you’ve added 2 cups of fruit, nuts, etc.). The circles should be about 3/4″ thick.

Brush each circle with milk, and sprinkle with coarse white sparkling sugar or cinnamon sugar, if desired.

Using a knife or bench knife that you’ve run under cold water, slice each circle into six wedges.

How to make gluten-free pumpkin scones

Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2″ space between them, at their outer edges.

For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F.

Bake the scones for 22 to 25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean, with no wet crumbs. If you pull one of the scones away from the others, the edges should look baked through, not wet or doughy.

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones via @kingarthurflour

Remove the scones from the oven, and serve warm. Wrap any leftovers airtight, and store at room temperature. Reheat very briefly in the microwave, if desired.

One quick substitution makes these incredible Harvest Pumpkin Scones gluten-free. Click To Tweet

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Harvest Pumpkin Scones. Or print just the recipe.

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scones via @kingarthurflour

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Megan Phillips

These scones look delicious! I don’t have your measure-for measure flour, but I do have the KAF gluten-free all purpose flour and some Xanthan Gum. Could I substitute those for the MFM flour, and if so, how much of each would I use?

Love your blog-thanks!
    Megan

1. PJ Hamel

Sorry, Megan, it’s not a simple substitution; our Measure for Measure is an entirely different type of flour. I could suggest this: Make our standard gluten-free scones, and substitute 1/2 cup canned pumpkin for the 1/3 cup milk. That might give you an approximation. But for the future — I highly recommend Measure for Measure. It lets you make any recipe (except yeast bread) simply by subbing the flour. Good luck – PJH

Thora Lee, we don’t test our recipes with sugar substitutes, so can’t offer you advise on how this will work. For more information I would consult the baking recommendations offered by the sugar substitute you like to use. Barb@KAF

2. Amelia Howard

How about listing information of serving size and accompaning nutrients, (such as carbs, sugars, protein, fiber, etc…similar to product information on purchased products) for this recipe

Amelia, we do offer the nutritional information for many of our recipes. You can find the link to this information in the “Tips From Our Bakers” box on the right side of the recipe page. We also recommend using this website to figure out the nutritional information for any recipe. Barb@KAF

3. Paule-Marie

I don’t have to be gluten-free. Since it is measure for measure, cab I use regular ap flour, thank you

Paule-Marie, this blog post highlights our Harvest Pumpkin Scones recipe that can be made gluten-free by substituting our new GF Measure for Measure flour for the unbleached all-purpose flour. If you don’t need to bake gluten-free, you can enjoy the original recipe. Barb@KAF

4. Kathy

I don’t like xantham gum as it leaves an aftertaste in my mouth, other family members feel the same. Suggestions please?

Kathy, guar gum is the most common xanthan gum replacement, but you may find it leaves a similar mouth-feel. Ingredients that will give you something different include psyllium fiber (also known as psyllium husk), ground chia or flax seeds, gelatin, or agar agar (a vegan alternative to gelatin). You may need to do a bit of research to read more about how to incorporate each of these into your baking (we don’t regularly use these ingredients in our test kitchen), but we’d be happy to help as best we can. Kye@KAF

Carole, we don’t currently have a Gluten-Free Pumpkin Scone Mix, but we do have a message “>Gluten-Free Scone Mix that you might like to try. Add in 3/4 cup of pumpkin, reduce the milk to 1/4 cup and the butter to 6 tablespoons. You might also want to add 2-3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice if you have any on hand. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

5. Heather

This recipe with the Measure for Measure flour produced the moist, soft, biscuity feel I had been missing since I had to go gluten-free in 2009. The pumpkin and spices are subtle, and I wouldn’t mind upping both to see if the flavor intensifies a bit, but full disclosure: I just downed four of them in a row, so ultimately these are real winners. I might also try glazing them in pumpkin spice icing to up the pumpkiny flavor without ruining the perfect texture. Thanks for the recipe and the new flour!

6. Candy

I cant be more excited!!!
    I kinda stopped reading the blog, I am gluten free (NOT by choice) and didn’t think KAF had anything left for me……it was sad…..but I couldn’t read all the recipes and not be able to make them!
    I happen to take a look as I was going to send my daughter a recipe and saw you had a gluten free recipe…..then I looked and saw there was a whole SECTION devoted to ME….well ….ok….not me in particular, BUT ME….GLUTEN FREE!!! IM Back! I can’t wait to go through all of these recipes and devour them!!

We’re thrilled to welcome you back, Candy! If you haven’t already, you might also enjoy checking out our robust and growing line of gluten-free flours and mixes: http://bit.ly/1XPGa6V Happy gluten-free baking! Mollie@KAF

7. Beth Stefano

I’ve been making these since the Fall when I saw the recipe posted on Instagram with the gf variation. I love them!! I eat one or two warm from the oven and then freeze the remainder individually in small plastic bags. I refresh each one as I need it in my toaster oven on the lowest heat setting. They are wonderful!!!!❤️