10 Ways to Bake with Boiled Cider: A Favorite Seasonal Baking Ingredient

Good news! The very best way to improve your fall baking this year is within easy reach: boiled cider.

A thick, syrupy, dark-amber liquid made by boiling down Vermont apple cider, this pantry staple adds just-picked apple flavor to your favorite recipes. Today, we’ll show you 10 of our most inspired ways to use boiled cider.

Our boiled cider comes from Wood’s Cider Mill in Springfield, Vermont. Family-made since 1882, the cider is pressed from Vermont apples in their original screw press. Next, each gallon of sweet cider is evaporated down to one pint of boiled cider in a wood-fired stainless steel evaporator. No sweeteners or preservatives are added; it’s just pure, concentrated cider.

The intense, robust apple flavor works beautifully as a sweetener in muffins, scones, and quick breads. It’s also a simple trick for amplifying the apple taste of apple pies, apple cakes, and applesauce. Since the texture is thick and syrupy, you can also drizzle it over yogurt, ice cream, or oatmeal as you would with a really excellent maple syrup.

On to the recipes! Here are 10 delicious ways to try your hand at baking with boiled cider this fall.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Apple Cider Baked Doughnuts with Maple Glaze

There’s never a bad time for doughnuts, but these pillowy baked beauties are particularly nice first thing in the morning. If you have house guests, it’s an excellent recipe to make for a crowd of hungry friends, and even better as a host since people can grab one without needing to sit down or take a plate.

Made with whole wheat flour and baked, these doughnuts are easier than most, as you don’t need to stand over a fryer. The addition of boiled cider and applesauce gives them a wonderfully moist crumb.

The maple glaze is optional, but when given the choice in life of extra icing, I recommend you say yes.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Inside-Out Pumpkin Muffins

A golden-brown streusel topping makes these muffins impressive-looking enough from the outside, but that’s just the start. Break them open to reveal a soft, sweet cream cheese center. Every bite has a perfect balance of tender pumpkin-spiced crumb, crunchy topping, and creamy filling.

Boiled cider is an excellent complement to pumpkin. Both are earthy fall flavors that pair nicely with spices.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Apple Pancakes with Boiled Cider Syrup

Blueberry pancakes tend to get all the love, but apple pancakes are exceptionally good. Tart chunks of apple soften as the pancakes cook, creating custardy pockets of fruit reminiscent of a clafouti or Dutch baby.

We use a thick, sweet boiled cider syrup (made with cinnamon, brown sugar, butter, and boiled cider) in place of maple syrup to really turn up the volume on the apple flavor. Drizzle extra on your pancakes. Lick it from a spoon! We won’t tell.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Boiled Cider Glaze

A good glaze recipe is crucial for a baker to have in his or her back pocket. This creamy, spiced glaze is quick and easy to put together: It has only four ingredients and takes about a minute to mix up! It’s flavorful enough to be the star of your dessert if you pair it with a neutral baked good, like yellow cake or cream scones or plain doughnuts. But it’s also subtle enough to pour over spice cakes or pumpkin bread or even a lemon pound cake.

Make a double batch and keep some on hand for quick desserts. I love having extra to dress up baked goods if I want something a little more decadent. I serve it over ice cream and sometimes even spoon it over apple crisp.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Apple Cider Caramels

As if caramels weren’t ridiculously good enough on their own, we went and gave them the fall treatment. Soft and chewy, they taste like apple pie and caramel got together and fell in love. (And then we fell in love.)

Although the idea of homemade candy might sound like a serious kitchen project, these caramels aren’t tricky to execute. It’s important to have a candy thermometer (this one is our go-to) to get the mixture to the right temperature, but then you just pour it into a pan and let it rest. It’s an impressive homemade confection, and good to practice just in time for Halloween.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Applesauce Oatmeal Bread

Between you and me, I wasn’t expecting to love this bread as much as I did. Applesauce oatmeal bread isn’t the sexiest-sounding baked good. It’s no chocolate monkey bread or cinnamon chip loaf. What it lacks in initial appeal, it makes up for in texture and flavor.

Applesauce gives the bread an incredibly moist and tender crumb, with just a bit of texture from the oats and nuts. It’s richly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice and sweet with boiled cider. Warm from the oven, it makes a perfect afternoon snack with a cup of tea. I’d also suggest freezing a loaf to keep on hand for a quick fall breakfast: Toast a slice and spread on a bit of good salted butter.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Cinnamon Applesauce

Mastering applesauce might change your life. Does that sound too dramatic? I promise, it could. It’s a reminder of the larger lesson that homemade tastes better, and how satisfying it is to make something yourself that you hadn’t considered as a home cook. It makes your house smell amazing, and it requires very little hands-on work or attention.

Instead of regular spiced applesauce, take inspiration from this recipe and add boiled cider to your next batch. Each bite tastes like fall. And here’s a clever tip, gleaned from my mother: While the applesauce is still warm, spoon some into a bowl and douse it liberally with cold, thick cream. The combination of cold against hot and creamy against tart is unbeatable.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Harvest Apple Cranberry Cake

Colorful and bursting with fruit, this autumnal spin on a classic upside-down cake is a serious crowd-pleaser. Although it’s simple to bake, it gets huge amounts of compliments.

Boiled cider is a key ingredient here, helping to balance out the tartness of the cranberries with extra sweetness. And happily, it’s a very adaptable recipe. Feel free to use all cranberries or all apples, depending on what you have on hand.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Best Apple Pie

I know, I know. You’re thinking: “Best apple pie, really? That’s a bold claim.” But stick with us. This classic recipe tastes just like a simple, straightforward apple pie, but more so. Boiled cider amplifies the apple flavor, making the filling addictively sweet but tart. A buttery, flaky crust envelops the fruit. Each bite is a perfect combination of crisp pastry and soft fruit.

This is the apple pie that makes you happy it’s fall again. It’s the pie you want to eat a slice of the next morning, cold, straight from the pan with a fork. It’s the pie you bake for the people you love the most.

10 ways to use boiled cider via @kingarthurflour

Tender Cranberry-Raisin Oatmeal Cookies

We’ve given oatmeal raisin cookies a serious upgrade. Boiled cider and rum make these cookies much more tender and moist than most. The rum, though optional, enhances the flavor greatly. With a wonderfully chewy texture thanks to raisins and dried cranberries, these cookies manage to taste both wholesome and decadent at the same time. How’s that for a win-win?

Hopefully you’re inspired enough to stock up on as much boiled cider as you can carry! Whether or not you have the pleasure of traveling to see the strikingly pretty New England foliage this year, you can bring autumn in Vermont into your kitchen, at the very least.

Start with one of these recipes, which have been beloved in our kitchens for years, or add boiled cider to one of your own favorite fall recipes. Tell us how you bake with it in the comments, and happy fall!

comments

1. meedee

I use boiled apple cider in my KAF classic apple crisp, sends it into the heavens ! Keep mine in refrig. Love it . See some recipes I want in this blog. Great work on these blogs.

Chana, we’re glad to hear you’re eager to give the boiled cider a try. This product is not certified Kosher at this time. Kye@KAF

2. Melissa

Boiled cider is the best! I love adding this to your Morning Glory Breakfast Cookies and it makes the best glaze. Our favorite way to taste this amazing stuff is to make Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies with chopped green apple mixed in. When they are cool I make a simple apple cider glaze to drizzle over the top. They make a great teacher gift, not only are they full of apple flavor, but they taste like PB&J, which is fun to receive from the kiddos 🙂

Gwen, many specialty food stores in our area carry it, but we’re not sure it would be as true outside of Vermont. We only distribute it through our catalog and website, not to grocery stores. If you’re interested you can order a bottle through the links in the post or right here. Mollie@KAF

3. helen

thank you so much for freely sharing your recipes!! Fall is the best time for baking, house smells great. I am most anxious to try the boiled cider recipes!!!

4. Cat White

If you want a truly excellent addition to your seasonal dessert menu put homemade cinnamon cider ice cream on your apple pie or apple cake. Recipe: Beat at least 2 tbs of cinnamon powder into 1/4C boiled cider. Whisk together 3/4C milk, 2C heavy cream, 1tsp vanilla, 3/4C white granulated sugar. Whisk in the cider cinnamon mix and pour into a home ice cream maker. I use a Cuisinart. It takes about 20 minutes. Put the soft ice cream into a container and freeze for a few hours before using to harden it up a bit. It’s quite good all by itself too. Play with the amounts to suit your taste.

1. PJ Hamel

No, Rosemary; it’s a specialty product. You might be able to find it in stores specializing in Vermont or New England products, but it’s awfully hard to fine. We sell boiled cider online. PJH

2. EL

It’s pretty easy to make. Take 1/2 gallon to one gallon of the best cider that you can find. Simmer gently as you would to make any syrup, until it is 1/4 — 1/3 the volume of the original. Store in the fridge (or you can possibly freeze it). I made some last year, stored it in the fridge and it is still great (I can’t say that for maple syrup which generally goes moldy). The trick is to get the best apple cider you can find. Most of the cider you find in the supermarket is not so good. KAF does that for you (and the boiling). I happen to have a great source, so I do my own.

5. Sheila V. Briceño

I live in Costa Rica, central América. I receive all your mails. I would like to buy the boiled cider and your products here. Could you export your products here ? And we can buy them ??

Thanks for your interest in baking with us, Sheila! We don’t have any international distributors, but we are able to ship individual orders internationally. For details on our international shipping rates and policies, please visit this section of our site: http://bit.ly/1B3kKKD Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

1. PJ Hamel

Bev, you can simmer cider until it’s thick; I’ve done it myself. The only issue is it takes a lonnnnnng time, and then at the end, unless you hit it just right, you finish with syrup that’s too thin, or cider jelly (too thick). So yeah, it can be done, but it’s tricky. That’s why I buy boiled cider; it stays good in the fridge for months (years, probably), and it’s just so nice to have on hand. PJH

2. Carla

Bev,
      Last year we got way too much cider from our fruit CSA. I used the slow cooker to boil down a gallon and the syrup was delicious….but like PJ said…it was a really, really long time from cider to syrup. Buying this product is sooooo much easier and it is wonderful!

6. Judy Thurston

How much is your Boiled Cider, the recipes all sound great with the boiled cider in it? Can these recipes be made in a Crock- Pot?

Judy, we sell 1 pint of boiled cider for $12.95. We can’t say that we’ve tried any of these recipes in a crock-pot, but you’re welcome to give it a try if you’re up for an experiment. Mollie@KAF

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Linda,
      The manufacturer lists the shelf life as “indefinite”. I’ve had mine about 18 months and it’s still just fine. MJR

7. Janet Dugan

You need to post some recipes using your wonderful boiled cider and PORK! The cider makes a fabulous glaze for chops and roasts, and adding it to sauerkraut /pork dishes wins raves!

We’re glad to hear you’ve found some savory ways to use boiled cider, Janet! I’ve shared your suggestion to explore some of these possibilities in the future with our test kitchen. Kye@KAF

8. Lori Doherty

I also love to drizzle it over ribs and pork tenderloin when before cooking in the slow cooker. Season meat with a spicy dry rub, then drizzle the cider over. Really good!

Marie, this product is made by Wood’s Cider Mill, and it is not certified organic at this time. We’re happy to share your request to see this certification added to the product in the future. Kye@KAF

9. Jim St. Martin

PJ Hamel- I made an apple pie today using King Arthur’s Classic Double crust recipe. I stopped buying store pie crust about a year ago and found this a very good crust. I tend to over stuff my Apple pies…9-10 cups of apple slices for a 10 in pie and a generous pour of home made boiled cider. That isn’t a problem as I adjust spices and thickener to compensate and cook to an internal temp of 175°F. I do have to cover the pie so the crust doesn’t over brown, minor issue. My idea is this…how can I incorporate some boiled cider into the crust? I think the flavored crust would be crazy good.

1. PJ Hamel

Jim, that might be a challenge, as you don’t want to introduce much liquid into your crust dough for fear of toughening it. You could try subbing boiled cider for some or all of the water. Be aware the crust will probably brown more quickly, due to the increased sugar. But it does sound wicked tasty — totally worth a shot! PJH

10. carol

What is the shelf life for the boiled cider? I still have an unopened bottle in my pantry but it’s been probably 20 months and I’m wondering if I should just replace it?

Hi Carol, the makers of the boiled cider say that it will last indefinitely in the fridge, but it’s best to take a peek at yours before using it in a recipe. Make sure it still smells fresh, clean, and like a crisp apple. If it smells off or you see any discoloration, you’ll want to start with a fresh bottle. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

11. Charly Freeman

I always have 2 or 3 bottles on hand.
    I roast a batch of Brussels Sprouts, then make a glaze using KAF boiled cider and our own home-made maple syrup.
    My wife, who never ate sprouts before, now can’t get enough.
    Thank you, KAF for a wonderful product.

Hi Shoshana, we don’t have much experience boiling our own cider because we’re simply in love with the stuff that Wood’s Cider Mill provides — it’s perfectly thick and insanely delicious. Plus, boiling your own will take multiple hours of boiling in order to reduce the cider enough to get it to thick-syrup stage. However, if you’re feeling determined to give it a shot regardless, then feel free to try it out. Just be sure what you end up baking with is about the consistency of maple syrup. Good luck! Kye@KAF

12. Giggi

Use it with pork in the crock pot or on your turkey at Thanksgiving. A small amount goes a long way. My husband does the cooking in the house and I do all the baking and we both use this product. He does for the above mentioned and I use it for any baked items I want to boost with an apple shot. This cider is amazing and once opened and stored in the fridge keep in the door so you can see it and not push to the back where it will get lost.