Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies: new twist on an old favorite

I don’t know about you, but I never get tired of chocolate chip cookies. Soft or crunchy, warm from the oven or cold in a lunch bag — even from the supermarket cookie aisle, I confess — chocolate chip cookies are endlessly tempting. So when I read about these muffin pan chocolate chip cookies on Pinterest via Facebook, I just had to hustle down to the kitchen and make them.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Luckily, I have a box of our Essential Goodness Everyone’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix on hand. I don’t usually use mixes, but when I’m in a hurry (e.g., forgot about that bake sale), or simply feeling a bit lazy, I totally appreciate the ease of a mix. Especially this mix, which is really, really good.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I whip up the mix, and use a tablespoon scoop to scoop the dough into a lightly greased muffin pan.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I bake them until they’re browning around the edges, and take them out of the oven.

Now, this whole enterprise, from light-bulb moment to warm cookies, has taken less than 25 minutes — see what I mean about the ease of a mix?

Hmmm…should I use a thin spatula to edge each cookie out of its mini pan?

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Nope. I just flop the pan over onto my cutting board…

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

…and lift it off.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies!

They’re soft, moist, and a tiny bit cakey, since they rise higher (and, as noted, are more protected around the edge) than a typical chocolate chip cookie. If this is the style cookie you like, you’re going to LOVE this muffin pan iteration.

As I stand admiring the cookies, it strikes me they might solve one of my regular challenges: how to ship cookies to far-flung family and friends.

I really like packing cookies in a Pringles can, but have had issues making them the exact right size: a bit too much spread, and they don’t fit the mouth of the can.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I’m happy to report that muffin pan chocolate chip cookies are the perfect size for a chip can: no squeezing, no trimming. Win-win!

Grab your favorite recipe and give these muffin pan cookies a try. Click To Tweet

Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies are perfect proof: there’s always a good (new) reason to bake an old favorite.

comments

1. Pam

Since I buy large jars of P-nut butter, I use those empty jars to put my P-nut butter cookies in, great for freezing and traveling. Try making them without flour, perfect taste.

1. Margy

We’ve used the chip cans for years since we discovered that even fragile cookies stored in them sustained minimum breakage (think paper-thin sugar cookies). I have transported cans of chocolate chip cookies in my checked bag to Mexico with no damage.
    The muffin pan idea is brilliant. I could also see making giant cookies in my KAF bun pan. Wouldn’t they be great for a bake sale!

2. Aly

I am a bit funny when it comes to chocolate chip cookies and tend to leave out the chips and add in different nuts and dried fruits. I am going to try this idea with my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe loaded with toasted pecans and dried craisins or cherries ( a friend recently brought back wonderful dried cherries from Oregon). Thanks again for the tip

1. John F.

What a coincidence! My mother was a great baker and when I was a kid she often asked what I wanted. When I told her I would like chocolate chip cookies but without the chips she looked at me like I was from another planet. Now my favorite cookie substitution is using rum-laced mincemeat instead of raisins in oatmeal cookies. A little taste of Christmas any time of the year.

3. waikikirie

Thanks PJ.
    If that mix is good enough for you, maybe I should try it. Might also try a “mini” muffin pan for smaller/portion control.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Waikikirie, nice to see your name here again. Yes, our Essential Goodness mixes are quite yummy, and totally easy/quick to throw together. I do like baking from scratch, but turn to these mixes when I’m pushed for time and don’t want to compromise my rep among the local bake sale habitués! 🙂 PJH

2. Chad

I can attest that the KAF chocolate chip cookie mix is outstanding! I gave it a try a few months ago and I’m an absolute convert. I highly recommend giving I a go!

4. SM Middour

I’ve been sending my son and his friends their “exam”cookies in chip cans too. But baking them in a muffin tin sounds like a win-win! Can’t wait to try it. Hope gluten-free cookies will work in the muffin tin too!

We bet gluten-free cookies will work just fine with this method. Better than fine really… they’ll be perfectly round, easy to stack, and just delicious! Kye@KAF

5. Susan

I have learned so many good ideas here today! I will also try the mini muffin pan. I will.also try my favorite chocolate cookie recipe this way.

6. Michelle Findley

Did you use a regular muffin pan? How long did you bake? I know you mention 25 min but was that start to finish if the recipe or baking time?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Michelle, I used a standard muffin pan, no papers, and baked for the amount of time the recipe called for, which was 12 minutes. Use whatever time your cookie recipe calls for; add a minute or so more if you want cookies that are more firm, less soft/chewy. Enjoy — PJH

7. Peg

I see that you are using a can from the original flavor “plain” Pringles® and not one of the real savory flavors, but even so, don’t the cookies pick up the flavor from the can?

I repurpose coffee cans and other kinds but those are plastic or metal and can be washed. The Pringles® can is paper. Do you clean it? If so, how do you reach the bottom and get it clean without getting the paper waterlogged?

Peg, you may want to stick with re-purposing the plain chip cans to avoid any of the flavors from getting absorbed by your cookies. Wiping out the inside of the can with a slightly damp paper towel and then letting it dry with the lid off for at least 24 hours should help mollify any residual smells or flavors. (Using a wooden spoon to get down into the bottom can also be helpful!) Kye@KAF

8. LAH

Hi, the directions state “bake until brown around the edges” but can you estimate the approximate time? I was thinking of trying the oatmeal chocolate chip recipe but since these are from scratch wondered about the time for both a conventional muffin pan as well as a mini muffin pan?

Thank you!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Hi — I’d say bake in a standard pan for the amount of time the recipe calls for, adding a minute or so if you want cookies that are a bit firm rather than softer/chewier. As for a mini muffin pan, depends on its size and how much dough you add; I’d suggest baking 2 or 3 cookies first, see how you like their texture, then adjust the time up or down. Good luck! PJH

9. R Bourjaily

Just made these & they are inspired and delicious! Plus, they make the perfect “bread” for ice-cream sandwiches. YUM!

10. MDK

I use the small chip canisters for day trips — they tuck right into my backpack. No cookie crumbles when I stop along the trail or in a park for a snack.

11. terri Wolfe

Hi PJ, Thanks for this…great idea. Now the real question, how to deal with spreading cookies? My baking friends think there is more water in the butter? Everything I’ve made lately (cookies) has spread too much. I use L-O-L so think the quality is there but still…spread! Please help me before I give up on cookies. P.S. this is new over the past couple of years. Terri W.

12. Anna Poulos

Made them yesterday in the regular size muffin pan and then in a mini muffin pan. Both fantastic! Didn’t come right out when I turned the pans over so I just coaxed them out with a plastic knife. What a different spin on CCCs! Thank you. 😇

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Our pleasure, Beth = I’m looking forward to trying this with some other types of cookies! PJH

Kate, you could certainly bake these cookies with silicone muffin pan cup liners, but I suspect they wouldn’t brown up quite as nicely and the baking time may be different. For best results I would bake them without the liners. Barb@KAF

13. Kate

Also-can one just add rolled oats to any choc chip cookie mix to make them oatmeal choc chip cookies? Much like you’d add nuts? I see your oatmeal choc chip cookie recipe calls for 1 c of oats. Thank you.

Kate, oats soak up moisture in a way that nuts do not, so it could make the resulting cookies too dry. You may need to add an extra egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk to adjust for the added oats, and then allow the batter to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking. Barb@KAF

14. Pam

These are really good cookies 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
    I baked mine for 10-11 minutes…I did grease the muffin pan the first time with butter. I made some oatmeal cookies, baking them in the muffin pan and they were great also……what a clever idea ! Thanks

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Glad you’re enjoying cookies masquerading as mini-muffins, Pam — I am, too. Just made a batch of “cakey” chocolate chip cookies in the muffin pan Sunday… PJH

15. Cast Iron Muffin Pan

Chocolate chip muffin is light & healthy breakfast. It can easily make in the kitchen. This is great idea for gifting to your loved ones.

16. Lu

Thank you for posting this method of baking cookies. It has become my favorite.
    I let the cookies cool almost completely before I take them out of the pan, using a silicone spatula.
    I use a Jumbo muffin pan, just the right size for the cookie monsters around here.
    Here is a flavor variation I came up with; Rum Raisin Oatmeal. Starting with your favorite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe; (I agree, mixes are great) re-hydrating the raisins takes the cookie up a notch in chew and flavor. This is what I did; In a small saucepan that has a lid. Put 1/2 c. water, 1/2 dark rum, 1 T. honey, 1/4 tsp. vanilla paste, mix well. Simmer for about 5 to 8 min., do not put a lid on the pan, the idea is to let the liquid reduce a bit, and burn off the alcohol. Remove from heat and stir in about 1/2 c. or whatever your recipe calls for of raisins. Put the lid on the pan and set aside while you ready the other ing. Stirring occasionally. Let them steep for about 10- 15 min. or longer would be ok. Drain them over a bowl and reserve the liquid and use it in the cookie dough if needed, it is full of flavor. Even when I use a cookie mix I put an extra 1/4 tsp. of vanilla paste in the dough. I stirred in the moist raisins at the end of mixing the dough so as not to smoosh up the raisins.
    I also made the recipe with chocolate chips but the rum raisin flavor was overpowered by the chocolate, I thought.
    Safety tip; don’t leave the rum liquid on the heat unattended.