Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake: Year of the Bundt

Welcome to King Arthur Flour’s Year of the Bundt! We’re celebrating this classic American dessert with a variety of recipes throughout the year, and this cake is perfect for all of you chocolate-lovers: Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake.

Who doesn’t like chocolate cake? Raise your hand.

OK, I don’t see too many of you out there, so I’m going to proceed on this happy assumption: chocolate cake is beloved by most, and eminently worthy of being baked and enjoyed in all of its incarnations, from our simple Cake Pan Cake to decadent Flourless Chocolate Cake to this elegant (yet oh-so-easy) Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake.

Whether you’re celebrating Valentine’s Day in style, lighting candles for a special birthday, or hosting a VIP (Very Important Party), this cake’s for you.

This Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake is the perfect way to celebrate 2017, the #yearofthebundt. Click To Tweet

Let’s see how it’s done.

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Prepare the chocolate

Place the following in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl:

1 cup coffee*
16 tablespoons (1 cup) unsalted butter
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, Dutch-process cocoa preferred

*We highly recommend using coffee in this recipe; while coffee won’t add its own mocha flavor, it enhances the cake’s chocolate flavor. However, you may substitute water, juice, or even stout beer for the coffee, if desired.

Heat, stirring, until the butter melts. Remove from the heat, and whisk until smooth. Let the mixture cool for 10 minutes.

Combine the dry ingredients

While the chocolate is cooling, whisk together the following:

2 cups sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

Mix wet into dry

Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients.

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Mix until thoroughly combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and mix again to incorporate any residue.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt (regular or Greek), full-fat preferred

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Mix into the chocolate batter, beating until thoroughly combined.

Prepare a Bundt pan

Thoroughly grease a 10- to 12-cup Bundt pan, preferably non-stick. Note: If you’ve had trouble in the past with Bundt cakes sticking in your pan, check out our post, How to Prevent Bundt Cakes From Sticking: 10 Simple Tips.

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Test kitchen tip: For a bit of extra flavor and crunch, whisk together 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Pour this into the pan, shaking and turning the pan to thoroughly coat the inside.

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Pour the batter into the pan

Gently smooth the top with a spatula.

Bake the cake

Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes, until a long toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Note: a pan with a dark interior will bake the cake more quickly; start checking at about 40 minutes.

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Remove the cake from the oven

Wait 5 minutes, and turn the pan over onto a cooling rack.

How to make Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Turn the cake out of the pan

After 5 more minutes, lift the pan off the cake. Let the cake cool completely before icing.

Make the icing

Combine 2/3 cup chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate and 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream in a microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over medium heat. Heat until the cream starts to bubble around the edges.

Remove from the heat, and stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture is smooth.

Ice the cake

Spoon the icing over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.

This cake had more icing in its first incarnation; my test kitchen colleagues persuaded me to cut it back.

Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

But if you’re a “nothing in moderation” person when it comes to chocolate, increase the amount of icing ingredients (to 1 cup chopped chocolate, 6 tablespoons heavy cream); you’ll have enough to give your cake a generous drizzle (nay, a volcanic lava-flow) of icing.

Chocolate Fudge Bundt Cake via @kingarthurflour

Look at that interior! We’re talking fine-grained, moist chocolate cake here, in celebratory Bundt fashion. Enjoy!

Looking for additional Bundt cake tips, techniques, and recipes? See our Complete Guide: Bundt Cakes. And find links to additional specially selected Bundt recipes and blog posts on our Year of the Bundt page.

Thanks to fellow employee-owner Julia Reed for taking the photos for this post.

comments

1. Janet

I’ve never used the expresso powder but I am thinking about buying some. Can you use it as a substitution for the brewed coffee?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

You could substitute 1 teaspoon espresso powder and 1 cup water for the coffee, Janet; that should work just fine. Good luck — I’m sure you’ll enjoy the cake. PJH

2. PJ Hamel , post author

Lizzy, that’s a cup of brewed (liquid) coffee, like you’d buy at Dunkin’ Donuts or Starbucks, or that you’d make in your coffee machine at home. PJH

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Alas, Leslie, my heart is spoken for — by a husband of four decades and two lively 100-pound dogs! But we can certainly share our passion… for chocolate. 🙂 PJH

We hope Regina will share her results once she’s does baking (and enjoying) her Bundt cake, but we can confirm that the Measure for Measure version of this cake received high remarks from our test kitchen bakers! It’s still moist, chocolate-y and delicious! Kye@KAF

Violet, that should be fine as long as you don’t go overboard with the amount. Maybe 1/2-1 cup max? Mini-chips would be even better. Cake batter isn’t always sturdy enough to hold chocolate chips in place, but tossing them in a little flour before adding them can sometimes help. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

2. Dede

I would suggest putting mini chocolate chips on top of the frosting. I have made a similar bundt cake for many years except making chocolate glaze, then topping with mini chocolate chips while glaze is still wet/moist. This is my daughter’s favorite cake, she asks for this as her birthday cake every year.

3. PJ Hamel , post author

Dede, that sounds like it would add a pretty look to the cake, as well as extra chocolate flavor. Thanks for the suggestion! PJH

2. Sarah

To make this in a pan with six mini-Bundt wells, would I just cut the recipe in half and decrease the baking time? Or would it not translate well to bundtlettes?

Hi Sarah, depending on which Bundtlette pan you have, it will hold somewhere between 3.5-5 cups of batter, as opposed to the 6 cups that a standard Bundt pan holds, so halving the batter might not result in quite enough to fill all of your wells. Whichever side you decide to err on (too much or too little batter), try to fill each well between 2/3-3/4 full. At 350°, mini-bundtlettes usually take between 20-30 minutes to bake. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Try baking the cake in a 9″ x 13″ pan, same temperature, for about 30 minutes, Julie. Start testing at 25 minutes, and take it out of the oven when a toothpick comes out just barely clean, or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Good luck! PJH

3. Cathy

Thanks so much for the amazing recipe. I made it this evening and everything went well. Until…I unmolded the cake after 10 minutes to cool it on a wire rack and it split in several areas. This was the first time that I used the Nordic Ware elegant party bundt pan. I’ve never had this issue with my old fluted cake pan that has wider section vs. the elegant party pans thin sections. Do you think I unfolded it too early or is it the pan?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Cathy, I don’t think it’s the pan, which is pretty non-stick despite its multiple sections. I think you might have simply turned it out too quickly; it might have also been very slightly under-baked, or a combination of those two. Despite our best efforts, we all sometimes “break” a Bundt. Did you turn it upside down after 5 minutes, and let it sit on the rack for 5 minutes before lifting the pan up? That usually does the trick for me. Anyway, I’m sorry it broke — and better luck next time! PJH

4. Sonia Vanderby

This looks delicious, and easy! I’m curious though, in the recipe it says that if the cake develops a foot you can trim it off and I’ve certainly done this in the past (it’s definitely a baker’s treat) but what causes the foot? Is it that the outer edge baking faster than the interior? If so, would a slightly lower temperature help prevent this?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Sonia, it’s basically because you might have just a bit too much batter for your pan. As the cake rises, it eventually loses its side support (the pan), so it has nowhere to go but up and towards the center, since it’s set enough not to simply overflow the pan. It’s also, as you say, the outer edge baking more quickly than the center, and reducing the oven temperature might help a bit; I’ve done that experiment. But it’s mostly simply a case of excess batter for the pan size. PJH

5. carol smart

My bunt tin has a separate piece, a flat bottom and a centre pole like piece that fits in the hole.

Any idea what that is for?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Carol, sounds like you have a combinatiton tube pan and springform pan. You’d use the solid flat piece, without the center tube, for something like cheesecake. The piece with the tube can be used for Bundt-type cakes. Hope this helps — PJH

2. Roberta Gerlach

Hi Carol,
      I have been searching for a pan like that for years! It would make sponge cake and angel cake easier to remove. Where might I find one like that?

Roberta

6. Lisabet

This looks wonderful. Planning on making it today! Can you recommend a recipe for a vanilla icing instead of the chocolate? I’m a sucker for a nice chocolate cake with a pop of vanilla!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Lisabet, I don’t think you want any kind of spreadable buttercream, as it would cover the cake’s lines. For white frosting, I usually simply mix confectioners’ sugar, a pinch of salt, a tablespoon or so of melted butter, and enough cream (or milk) to make something that’s thick, but still pourable. If you don’t mind a slightly tan hue, stir in a teaspoon of vanilla extract as well. I’m totally guessing here, but I think 2 cups’ confectioners’ sugar would yield a good amount for this cake? Good luck – PJH

2. PAM

Lisabet. I have substituted white chocolate chips for the semi sweet choc. and add a little bit of vanilla after heating the cream.

7. Aurelia Guertin

Most of the Bundt pans now are 10 cups in volume. Some of my go-to recipes for pound cakes have overflowed my 10-cup pan when I baked it in it, versus my 12-cup Bundt pan or a 10-inch tube pan. Is there a magic number of cups to keep in mind, to prevent this from happening again?

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Aurelia, for a cake that rises a typical amount, I’ve found that about 6 cups of batter fits a 10-cup Bundt pan. You might want to check out this blog post on Bundt pan capacity for more useful information. PJH

8. Marilyn Raff

Hello P.J.,
    I will bake this cake soon, since I’m such a chocolate fiend, and a passionate baker. A question: one latest/old thing with cakes is to use 1/2 white sugar – 1/2 brown to increase moist quality in cakes. One, what to you think of this recent idea, and two, might it work in this recipe?
    thanks for your response!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Marilyn, I think brown sugar would increase the moisture a little bit in this case, though not appreciably; the difference is much more apparent in something like cookies, which are pretty low moisture to begin with. That said, I see no reason why you can’t go ahead and do it; the slight change in the batter’s pH due to the addition of the brown sugar’s acidity shouldn’t require any change in leavening. Good luck — PJH

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Hi, Feb: Measure for Measure is our new gluten-free flour, which can be substituted for the regular flour in all of your non-yeast recipes. If you’re baking gluten-free, it’s truly a godsend. PJH

9. Michael Hofstetter

I have been baking a similar bundt cake for about a year now. The only difference is the use of coffee, which I have not used. I will try it this way. Everyone thinks this is one of the best chocolate cakes they have ever had. But instead of an icing of chocolate I make a warm fudge chocolate sauce and pour some of that over each serving. Sometimes with ice cream but usually with whipped cream.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Oh, boy, Michael — I LOVE the sound of that chocolate sauce! As well as the whipped cream. Thanks for sharing — now I want some cake… 🙂 PJH

10. Denise Little-Miller

I L O V E to make Bundt Cakes! Doing my happy dance because KAF is doing a year of bundts! So looking forward to 2017 and KAF!

1. PJ Hamel , post author

We’re definitely in step with you, Denise — and we’re looking forward to sharing more delicious Bundt cake recipes with you throughout the year! PJH

11. Wendy

Is there any way to sub whole wheat flour for some of the white? This looks so delicious but a family member has celiac decrease which seems to allow for whole wheat in moderation. Thanks 😊

12. sami

My Mom always used KA flour, and she bought me my first bag of it 57 years ago when I got married. I am now having lactose and gluten problems and thought that your yummy recipes were not for me. Along came your GF flour and I’m back in business, except that many of your wonderful recipes have butter, milk and cream in them.
    Most of us who have celiac can’t tolerate dairy also. I wish, for example, that I could make that wonderful looking frosting on your bunt cake, but it has cream in it. Could you include an alternate choice in your GF recipes. I do use Almond milk and Smart Balance, but how do I replace the cream?
    Love looking forward to all your new recipes. Baking is my hobby, makes my heart happy! Thank you for making this possible for me, once again.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

So happy to hear you’ve been making progress towards baking again — and that you’re such a long-time King Arthur Flour fan! I’m not sure of the exact amount soy or rice milk, but you could definitely replace the cream with a non-dairy milk. Try heating 1/3 cup (2 ounces) chocolate chips with 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) non-dairy milk, very slowly; you just want to soften the chips enough so that they start to melt as you stir them. Oh, heck.. I have some cashew milk, why don’t I try this? [time passing…] OK, I’m back. It works nicely: two parts chocolate to 1 part non-dairy milk, by weight. I’m sure cashew milk will react the same as almond milk. No go forth and make your cake — complete with icing! 🙂 PJH

This stunning cake was baked in our Party Bundt Pan. It’s perfect for cakes that will be brought to a party or shared with friends—it makes ready-made slices for serving. Kye@KAF

13. Carole Miller

Is it possible to use stevia instead of white sugar? I need to keep my sugar intake very low. Any other suggestions?

Hi there Carole, we’ve done some low sugar testing with this recipe and found that you can successfully reduce the amount by 25% (leaving you with 1 1/2 cups of sugar). Beyond that, the texture gets rubbery and unpleasant. We haven’t experimented with using stevia, but you’re welcome to give it a try following the substitution recommendations listed on the product. Use a sugar alternative that specifically made for baking for best results. Good luck! Kye@KAF

You sure can, Kay. Feel free to use a non-dairy based yogurt (coconut, soy, and almond will all work well). Just be sure it’s a plain, unsweetened variety. Here are some ideas for brands you might want to look for. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

14. Elaine

How many cups does this cake batter make? I hate to have to measure it. My favorite pan these days is a Nordic Ware double bundt cake pan, which is usually good for one bundt cake recipe. I think each side holds about 2 1/2 cups of cake batter.

Elaine, this recipe makes a scant five cups of batter, so it sounds like it should fit nicely in your Bundt pan. We hope we get to see a picture of this double Bundt once you’re done baking. 🙂 Enjoy! Kye@KAF

15. Nancy Williams

I’m concerned that the recipe says I need a 10-12 cup bundt pan. I have never made a bundt cake but bought the one you show on this recipe. Is it big enough for the whole recipe? How far from the top of the pan should the batter stop?

Nancy, if you purchased the Party Bundt Pan, then you can be sure it’s going to be able to hold this whole recipe. If you’re interested in learning more about how to determine the what size Bundt pan to use for your recipes, check out our articled called, “Bundt pan size.” It should help answer your questions. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

16. Eve

Thanks for the recipe! Have you done any testing to see if coffee really does enhance chocolate flavor? We seem to hear it a lot, but I’d love some great testing to see if it’s really true.

When recipes go through testing in the test kitchen, our bakers scrutinize the flavors closely to make sure they’re balanced and that the baked goods are as delicious as they can be. For chocolate desserts, this usually includes some espresso powder or the addition of coffee. We don’t have results of any side-by-side taste test comparisons to share with you (a “which one do you prefer” between a cake made with coffee and one made with water), but perhaps this could be a baking experiment you want to take on! If you do, we hope you’ll share your results with us! Kye@KAF

17. Leslie B.

Making this tomorrow for a Valentine’s Day party Saturday night. I have a Thermopen. What would be the temperature of a “done” cake? Thanks!

Leslie, some cakes vary slightly with the temperature they should reach, but for a basic cake like this Bundt, you should look for about 205-210 degrees F. You can also use your Thermapen as a cake tested by checking the tip for crumbs or batter. When you pull it out of the cake, it should be clean if it’s done baking. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

18. Sallie

So for regular amount of icing use 3/4 Cup of choc. chips and 1/4 cup heavy cream. To make the chocolate lovers dream come true, use I cup of chocolate and just 6 table spoons of cream?
    Clarify, please.

We see how this might get confusing, Sallie. The recipe as written calls for 2/3 cup chocolate and 1/4 cup (or 4 Tbsp) heavy cream. To up the amount of glaze, we suggest using more of each ingredient–1 cup chopped chocolate and 6 tablespoons heavy cream. Hope this helps to clarify! Mollie@KAF

2. Sallie

Thank you, thank you!! That does help. I was not sure if It was added or a new measurement. Perfect timing! Baking on Monday.

1. Baker's Hotline

Stella, the coffee in this recipe is liquid brewed coffee and can be any type of coffee you enjoy. Barb@KAF

19. gene baumwoll

I am a great King Arthur Fan, loving the community that has evolved.

I bought the espresso powder and plan on adding one teaspoon to the coffee cocoa butter mixture.
    I’d like to use 2 loaf pans this time instead of my bundt pan. Is there any adjusting I need to do? The baking time may be shorter ?
    The Sunday emails inspire me

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Gene, glad to hear we’re providing you with some Sunday inspiration. 🙂 I haven’t tested it, but yes, I suspect the loaf cakes would bake for a shorter amount of time. I’d say start testing at around 35 minutes, and test frequently until you determine they’re done. Good luck – PJH

We’ve found that this cake bakes up nicely in two 8″ round pans; bake at 350 degrees F for about 32-37 minutes (until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). You could split those two layers in half to have a total of four layers to make a truly stunning cake. If you want to top it all off with even more chocolate, try our Super Simple Chocolate Frosting to fill and frost your cake. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

20. Dc

Have you tried replacing some of the fat (butter) in the cake with apple sauce or yogurt?
    I have found it works to replace half the fat this way in most recipes and may even give a moister cake.

We haven’t tried it with this recipe, Dc, but we have done some testing with this rule of thumb in other cake recipes. We’ve found that a 25% replacement works well in most cake recipes (works best using full fat yogurt), but the texture of the cake can be slightly more dry as a result. If you give it a shot, let us know how it turns out. Good luck! Kye@KAF

21. Nelly Starke

EXCELLENT RECIPE!! AND SIMPLE TO MAKE. 🙂
    I have made this cake twice in one week but without the frosting. The first one that I made was for my husband’s birthday on Feb 7th. I aslo made homemade chocolate pudding and fresh whipped cream. (This is his favorite.) The second one, I melted a half cup of quality chocolate chips with the butter etc. in the microwave.
    This cake is not sweet and sugary. I will now use this recipe for all of my chocolate cakes.
    The next day, it firms up and is fudgey. The next time I make this recipe, I will do the ganache topping.
    Thank you for a wonderful recipe.
    I have been baking for 50 years…….

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Nelly, that’s high praise coming from a 50-year baker! Thanks so much for connecting here; and I’m glad your husband celebrated his birthday not just with cake, but with pudding and whipped cream as well. Now THAT’S a celebration! pJH

22. Jodi

I mad this for my Sweet Husband for Valentines day. I added some dark cherries ( frozen and thawed and drained well, cut into quarters and dusted with flour) then decorated the top of the cake with a whole dark cherries! he loved it! Told me if I ever made this for one of my Charity Bakes that I had to make two!! I might add some chopped hazel nuts to the to next time.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Jodi, that sounds absolutely divine. Your husband’s a lucky man to have you baking for him! 🙂 PJH

23. Sallie

Baked this cake on Monday and it came together easily. I liked the cake so much I did not frost it. Sorry chocolate lovers . I am a fan of pound cakes , sue me.
    I will add that you should not over bake this cake. Take it out of the oven when it is first done. It will be more moist. My cake never pulled away from the side of the pan but the cake tester did come out clean.
    I will make this one again!! Good flavor.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Glad you enjoyed it, Sallie. And thanks for sharing the hint about over-baking; better to pull a cake out a tiny bit too soon than too late, right? PJH

24. Judy G

I made this yesterday and it was amazing! The best chocolate cake ever! So moist and delicious. I cut the sugar down to 1 1/2 cups and made it in mini bundt pans. It made nine of them.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Thanks for sharing, Judy — now we know we can cut back on the sugar, AND how many minis it makes! cheers — PJH

25. Deidre

Great cake- super moist, tight crumb and not overly chocolate. As usual I got half way through putting the ingredients into the bowls and discovered I was missing sour cream/yogurt. Frantically checked the refrigerator and found mayonnaise which is white right? The substitution worked like a charm. Next time I’ll have to make it with the correct sour real or yogurt and see if it’s any different.😊

26. Lisa Rinaldi

Hi – I feel like my cake looks short which could be due to the size bundt pan I used. Can you comment on what size pan is pictured above in this blog. My pan was the 10×3 (~10-15 cup). I felt like I could of doubled the recipe or used a smaller pan. Everything else went perfect and tastes great! Thank you for putting some much research into your recipes <3 🙂

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Lisa, the pan we used in the recipe is 9″ x 3″, which is 10-cup (rather than 10-15 cup) capacity. When I make the cake, it rises above the lip of the pan as it bakes, then sinks a bit as it cools. Sounds like your 10″ pan makes a shorter cake, which makes sense, since it’s 11% larger capacity. But I suspect it still looked fine and, as you said, tasted great! Thanks for connecting here — PJH

27. Mela Kunitz

Wondered if I with he sugar and cocoa dusting of the pan if I should spray it with cooking spray or grease with butter first? What have you found to work best? Thanks.

1. PJ Hamel , post author

Mela, I’d spray with nonstick spray first; I feel it works better than butter and honestly, there’s no change in flavor with just the small amount used. Hope you enjoy the cake as much as I do! — PJH