Gluten-Free Thin Crust Pizza: Ready in under 60 minutes

I think for most people who go gluten-free, whether for medical reasons or by choice, the two things they’re most afraid to give up are bread and pizza.

We’ve done a great job at covering both areas (our two most popular gluten-free recipes being our Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread and our Gluten-Free Pizza Crust), but what we love most is giving you a variety of delicious gluten-free staples to enjoy. Even better, ones that even your gluten-loving friends and family would enjoy.

And today we’ve got a brand new pizza recipe for you! We took our Super-Fast Thin-Crust Pizza and turned it into a crispy gluten-free version.

This gluten-free thin-crust pizza is a cinch. It takes under 60 minutes and makes two pizzas. Click To Tweet

Plus, it has the most incredible texture. We use a blend of baking powder and yeast, which helps make it light, yet it’s sturdy enough to hold all your favorite toppings. We’re going simple today with tomato sauce and fresh mozzarella, but add whatever your heart desires (just go on the light side since it’s thin!).

Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza

Ready to get started? Let’s do this. We’ll start by preheating the oven to 450°F. If you have a pizza stone, place that in the bottom of the oven while it’s heating up.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together 2/3 cup lukewarm water and 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast (or active dry) until the yeast dissolves.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Measure out 2 cups of Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour by gently spooning it into a cup and sweeping off the excess.

Measure For Measure works wonderfully in most recipes. We usually caution bakers against using it in high-rising yeast breads and rolls, but thanks to this pizza’s super-thin crust (plus the addition of baking powder), there’s no problem using Measure For Measure here.

Add the flour to the bowl with the water and yeast, followed by:

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons olive oil

Stir to make a cohesive, somewhat sticky dough. The dough should only be mildly sticky, and easy to work with. If it’s sticking to your fingers, mix in additional flour.

Divide the dough in half, pat each half into a disk, and place on a lightly floured piece of parchment or waxed paper. Let the dough rest, covered, for 30 minutes, while your oven gets good and hot.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll between two pieces of lightly greased parchment. Roll a 12″ circle; don’t worry about making it perfectly round, an oval is fine. The rolled crust should be very thin.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Top the crust with about 3 to 4 tablespoons sauce, and your preferred toppings.

Transfer the pizza, parchment and all, to your baking stone. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the crust is brown and the toppings are heated through. Remove from the oven and serve.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

If you’re not using a stone, transfer the pizza, parchment and all, to a baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, until the crust is brown and the toppings are cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve.

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

How to make Gluten-Free Thin-Crust Pizza via @kingarthurflour

We hope you enjoy this pizza crust as much as we do!  We’d love for you to bake, and review (please) our recipe for Super-Fast Thin-Crust Pizza — made with our Measure for Measure Flour in place of all-purpose flour.

Or print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. PJ Hamel

Karen, we consistently use yeast in our gluten-free baking, so not sure where you got that information. Can’t say whether it’s “safe” as it depends on the person, I guess, but so far as I know there’s no relationship between being sensitive to gluten and being sensitive to yeast. PJH

2. Karen

it was just something I read someplace – I think the article said that yeast and gluten free flours didn’t work together – but I am new to gluten free so might have misunderstood – my granddaughter was recently found to have a gluten sensitivity (not celiac)

3. PJ Hamel

It’s true, baking gluten-free yeast breads is a challenge, albeit not totally insurmountable. Anyway, you’ve come to the right site to help your granddaughter enjoy baked treats; kudos to you for wanting to help her out and doing the research necessary to do so. That’s what grandmas are for though, right? 🙂 PJH

4. Brenda Teshka

We have been a gluten free household for over 10 years. I use yeast in my breads all the time. Homemade bread is so much better than the “prepared” breads you by in the store.

5. PJ Hamel

Brenda, so glad to hear you can still enjoy your favorite breads — without gluten. Kudos to you for doing the research and experimenting to come up with recipes that work for you and your family. PJH

1. PJ Hamel

Same as our all-purpose flour, Debra, which makes things simple: 4 1/4 ounces. Good for you for weighing – it’s the best way to get great results. PJH

Ginny, that delicious pizza is topped with sauce, fresh mozzarella and dried herbs. YUM! Bryanna@KAF

1. Judy B.

Hi, I’m just curious…would the KA Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour work with this crust recipe? I have that one on hand, but I don’t have the Measure for Measure. And what’s the difference between the two? Thanks!

Hi Judy, the Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour wouldn’t work well with this recipe. The Measure for Measure is designed for converting “standard” recipes into GF versions. So I recommend using another recipe with that flour, such as our Gluten-Free Pizza Crust recipe. Happy baking, Bryanna@KAF

2. waikikirie

Does anyone have any idea if these could be frozen??? I love the now or later pizza crust. I par bake and then wrap and put in the freezer. Do you think this is something I could with this crust? Thanks.

We haven’t tried freezing this recipe, but if you par-bake it, then wrap it gently to freeze, it will most likely be just fine. However, when you go to make the pizza with the toppings I would only broil it, otherwise baking it again would make it very crisp and brittle. Bryanna@KAF

3. Jim

I have found it better to bake the gluten free pizza crust for 8-10 minutes or longer if necessary before putting on the sauce and topping to ensure a crispy pizza.

For a real tasty pizza crust cover the crust with roasted garlic before adding the sauce or for a white pizza!!!!

4. Joan M. Bell

why don’t you put your recipes so that they can be printed. I don’t always cook where I have a digital device…

It’s your lucky day, Joan! You actually can print our recipes to keep on hand, just not from the blog directly. At the top of each blog page, under the main photo, is an orange link with the original recipe. If you click on that, it will bring you to the recipe page where you can print it off for your collection! Happy baking, and thanks for reaching out. Bryanna@KAF

5. Lynne

Will King Arthur’s Multi Purpose Flour work in this recipe too? Need to work with that before a new purchase. Thanks for new recipes.

Lynne, because this recipe is being converted from a “standard” pizza crust to a gluten-free version, it’s not recommended to use the Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose flour. The GF Measure for Measure flour is designed to do just that; convert recipes. If you want to use the GF Multi-Purpose flour, it’s suggested to choose another recipe, such as the Gluten-Free Pizza Crust recipe. Hope you enjoy, happy baking. Bryanna@KAF

6. Cathy

I have a question (and would like to see reviews from people who have tried the recipe) all of the gluten free pizza recipes I have tried require pre-baking, as the GF flours cannot stand up the weight of ingredients, do not rise properly and end up being dense, with the consistency of raw compressed dough, then they end up burning on the edges before the centers are cooked crisp. This recipe does not say to pre-bake and I wondered if you tried both ways.

Hi Cathy, this specific pizza crust is designed to be thin and more delicate, so it’s not suggested to pile on heavy toppings. If you wanted something with a little more structure, we recommend trying the Gluten-Free Pizza Crust recipe, as it’s a bit sturdier and can handle those added toppings and a pre-bake. Happy baking, Bryanna@KAF

7. Fay M. Aaronson

Hi, I would love to see a pizza recipe that is also dairy free.
    I loong for a great pizza, but have been gf and dairy free for about
    5 years now. It has helped my stomach problems enormously but I
    really miss a good pizza. I also cannot have garlic/tomato due to reflux.
    many thanks, Fay

1. PJ Hamel

Fay, have you tried any of the dairy-free cheeses out there? If you don’t like them, I’d suggest simply topping your pizza with the lightly cooked vegetables and meats of your choice, and forgetting the cheese. Another alternative would be a white sauce made from margarine, flour, and a grain-based non-dairy milk (e.g., soy milk). That would lend some creaminess without dairy. Good luck! PJH

8. Barbara

Made this with Measure for Measure. I rolled one and baked it with my homemade marinara sauce, 3 cheeses and a sprinkling of cooked sausage crumbles, black olives and mushrooms. Light on all these. It turned out great. Be careful not to overcook the very thin crust will get too crisp. 10 minutes max will do. (I did it for 9 minutes till cheeses were melted. I wrapped the second disk and put in refrigerator and used the next day for lunch making it smaller in diameter so thicker, only some breakfast sausage crumbles and two cheese plus my sauce. Cooked to about 11 minutes. Turned out great and thicker so more chew and less brittle. Again don’t overcook. The edge of the crust never gets real golden so look at bottom for slightly browned!

1. PJ Hamel

Thanks for the feedback, Barbara. Always good to hear the voice of experience — and we’re glad you enjoyed your pizza, two ways no less! Cheers — PJH

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Iris,
      To keep in the freezer, try par-baking your pizza crusts with no toppings, just until they begin to brown. Cool completely and freeze for about 3 weeks. ~ MJ

9. Lindsay

My crust just crumbles apart when trying to roll. I added a little water but no luck. I followed exact recipe. Any thoughts?

Hi Lindsay,
      It sounds like there might be just a bit too much flour added to the dough, which is making it dry and difficult to work with. To compensate, you can try adding more liquid or even an egg to help keep it all together. In the future, we recommend weighing your ingredients using a scale or measuring like this to ensure just the right amount of flour is added. We hope that helps, and good luck! Kye@KAF