How to peel a peach without a knife: perfect results the easy way

The perfectly peeled peach.

Wonderfully smooth flesh. No nicks, no gouges… no skin.

And no knife.

Do you know how to peel a peach without a knife – and get absolutely perfect results?

How to peel a peach without a knife via @kingarthurflour

Here’s a clue: you won’t find yourself in hot water, but your peaches will!

How to peel a peach without a knife via @kingarthurflour

1. To peel a peach without a knife, start with fully ripe peaches.

This peeling method works poorly with the super-hard peaches you often get at the grocery store. Choose peaches that are firm, yet yield a bit when you press them with your finger; this is a sign the peaches are actually ripe (and will taste good) – something you can’t judge by their color alone.

Also, while you can certainly peel over-ripe, mushy peaches using this method, you’ll probably lose a lot of flesh along with the skin – just as you would when peeling with a paring knife.

Test one peach first, to see if your peaches are ripe enough to slip their skins in boiling water.

Bring a saucepan of water to a rolling boil.

How to peel a peach without a knife via @kingarthurflour

2. Test one peach first.

You want to to make sure your peaches are ripe enough to slip their skins in boiling water.

Bring a saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Gently lower the peach into the boiling water. Leave it there for 30 seconds. Not 30 seconds once it starts boiling again; just 30 seconds.

Use a spoon to remove the peach from the hot water, and plunge it into an ice water bath.

How to peel a peach without a knife-5

After 10 seconds or so, grab the peach, and pinch a piece of skin to get started; then simply peel. The skin will slip off easily. If it doesn’t, peel peaches the normal way, with a knife; they’re not ripe enough for this method.

Warning: naked peaches are slippery. Do this over the sink, or someplace where it won’t matter if the peach goes squirting out of your hands.

How to peel a peach without a knife via @kingarthurflour

3. Place peaches into a saucepan of gently boiling water.

Once you’ve peeled a single peach to make sure it’s ripe enough to easily shed its skin using this method, boil as many at a time as can fit into your saucepan.

How to peel a peach without a knife via @kingarthurflour

4. And that’s how to peel a peach without a knife!

Go forth and bake cobbler. Or crisp, or crumble, or pie.

Muffins? Scones? Shortcake? We offer nearly 50 different recipes using peaches. Check ’em out!

Oh, and remember – step… away… from… the knife.

Except when you’re slicing/dicing the peeled peaches, which is easily accomplished as follows: use a knife to score the peaches all over, pressing into the flesh to the pit. Once the peach is criss-crossed with a crosshatch of lines, gently squeeze it; the pit will separate from the flesh, and the flesh will fall into chunks along your score lines.

Does this method work with other fruits? Well, it does with tomatoes and nectarines, and I’d assume it does with plums; but anything harder, or with a thicker skin? I think not.

comments

1. Bess Weber

Grew up helping can/bottle food so I’ve known that for over 78 years or since I was big enough to help

2. Carrie Patino

My grandmother taught me something better! Put 5 Tablespoons of baking soda in that boiling water, drop in peaches for about 30 seconds, the skin will dissolve right in the water, scoop it out and put it in a cold water bath for a moment. You will not taste the baking soda.

1. Bonnie J Brumfield

For garlic, you can simply put the cloves in a glass jar, cover and shake vigorously for a few seconds and it will separate from the skin.

Gayle, we hope Virginia shares her recipe with you, but if not you can make an easy peach “butter” simply by cooking the peach peels with the sweetener of your choice and a bit of lemon juice, all to taste. You can also add in a few whole peaches too if you want to include some of the juiciness and sweetness of the fruit. You can blend the mixture or use a food processor once it’s all cooked down together. We hope this helps! Kye@KAF

1. Margaret Theobald

I use a peeler with a serrated edge……so much easier than boiling water, ice bath, etc. I just made a peach crumb pie today and it is so easy to just peel and slice the peach.
    Tomatoes are another story, much easier to put into boiling water and then ice them down.

That’s a good idea, Margaret, particularly for peaches that might be too hard for the boiling water method. I find the boiling water simple, especially since I can use a big pot to do all the peaches at once. I can have 10 peaches peeled in about 2 minutes (once they’re through the 30-second simmer), doing it this way. Thanks for your feedback – PJH

1. Joan Cameron

Is this a different way from the 30 seconds boil and then the ice bath? I’m new to all the fruit peeling and baking so I’m looking for ways to peel that is easier. I’m making my first peach pie from scratch tomorrow for the 4th of July. Cant believe the family asked me to do this. LOL I’m trying to impress but probably wont. LOL
      Please let me know if there is another way to peel the peaches that is easier.
      Joan

I can not think of any easier way, Joan. It will be done in a snap! Elisabeth@KAF

2. Aunt lolo

Ok, I’m going to need a demo on that dicing trick….
    We’ll see what we can do about getting one up for you. I know I’ve seen a few different ones on YouTube. ~ MJ

3. Paul from Ohio

Such a clever lady – and such a neat simple trick! This old dog will try this – for sure! Always learning from KAF!

Us old dogs have to keep up with the young pups, don’t we, Paul? 🙂 PJH

4. Sheila

This is how we always did the peaches to can them when I would help my Mom. They come out so beautiful!

I will never forget the moment I peeled peaches this way and saw the blush tones on the flesh–I was so surprised! 🙂 Kim@KAF

1. Virginia P. Fou

Yes! And it works w/ plums too, which is especially nice for plum jam or coulis(:-)
      Now if I could just get a decent peach down here….(:-)
      Virginia, Jensen Beach, Florida

5. Valleri

I live KAF! Been doing this for many years. I never bother with the ice bath. I just put them down on a towel and let them cool a bit. I do them 6 at a time in a large pot. I use the tip of a paring knife to pierce the skin and off it comes.

The ice bath helps to keep them from cooking more, but if they are going to be eaten right away then it shouldn’t be a problem! This method works well for removing the skins from tomatoes.-Jon

6. Judy

I’ve read that peaches do not need to be peeled before freezing them. I’m wondering if you, or anyone, has tried freezing peaches with the skins on & if it works. I have 1/2 bushel of peaches that I need to freeze today or tomorrow. I have used your hot water bath for peeling & it works well.
    Thank you!!! :>)
    btw….I’m another “old dog”. LOL

I don’t see why you couldn’t freeze your peaches with the skin on, it should work fine. Anyone else have experience with this?-Jon

1. Gay the garden girl!

I have been freezing peaches with the skins on for years. I cut the peach in half, remove the pit, and place on a flat sheet pan. Put them into the freezer for about an hour. Remove and put into a seal a meal bag. Back into the freezer until I need to use them. When I take them out to use, I place bag into warm water directly from the freezer for about 3 minutes. The skins slide off and I’m ready to use. So simple.

7. Kathy Anderson

When you have an over abundance of peaches the easiest way to store is to wash, freeze whole on a sheet pan and then bag. When ready to use microwave each peach for about 15 seconds and peel comes right off just using your hands.

Thanks for the tip!-Jon

1. Janice

I do that with whole tomatoes. Wash, freeze, bag and keep in freezer until needed. Run under hot water. Peel comes right off. Let set for a few minutes, then chop with a knife.

8. Mary

I love that you are explicit in explaining “30 seconds.” Not every instruction clarifies that. Thank you!!

It pays to be clear in this instance, Mary! Otherwise, you risk making peach puree! Tasty, but not helpful for pie! Kim@KAF

9. Sandy Kelley

Back in the 40’s, that was my job. Mom did the boiling water and then I slipped the skins. The peaches were delicious on a cold winter evening. She did an excellent job of canning them. (Mom used her daughters to ‘automate’ canning.)

It’s those “automated” processes that aren’t so common these days, Sandy. And as much work as it was, I’m sure it taught a lesson about the true flavor of peaches! the stuff in cans just can’t compare! Kim@KAF

There is an appliance that will do the canning for you. Automated! Elisabeth@KAF

2. Kathy Howard

Her use of “automate” was referring to the mother doing one step and the daughter the next in processing the peaches. It sped up the process, because one person would have had to dip a batch of peaches in the hot water and peel those, before dipping the next batch.

10. Martha Hutson

What a shame to cut up perfectly beautiful peaches! Remember the pickled peaches we used to have at Thanksgiving and Christmas and special occasions? Does anyone have a recipe for pickled peaches?

There are lots of ways to pickle peaches, Martha. It depends on what you like in the jar! Most recipes call for 2 cups sugar to 1 cup vinegar and boiling that with the spices you want (a cinnamon sticker per jar, a clove per peach, and a sprinkle of black peppercorns to start with. You can take it from there!). You’ll want to boil up enough pickling liquid to cover the peaches in the jars: you often will cook the peaches until just tender and then slip into jars and seal them as you normally do for canning (Ball has a great site for canning instructions: http://www.freshpreserving.com/getting-started.aspx ) Best, Kim@KAF

11. SarahD

An absolutely perfectly ripe peach will peel easily without the boiling method. That’s my test for the perfect peach. I cut them in half, grab a bit of skin at the top with a paring knife and pull. With a perfect peach, the skin will come off in just a couple pieces. Mmmmmm, peach season.

1. Anne Baulne

We used to go to the Okanagan (south-central BC) and bring home cases of lovely ripe peaches which would peel as you say, SarahD. And they were beautiful in their jars!. However now I buy them locally and of course they’ve been picked green. Once ripe, they’re still good but just not as good as before and harder to peel. I wash each peach carefully under running water, cut them as necessary and bottle them with their skins on. It works well and depending on what I’m doing with them, I just pick the peels off when I open the jar. Nobody can tell any flavour difference and it cuts down on the prep time

12. patricia

A very good way to peel a peach. This old dog doesn’t do it that way because I find that if you find a really ripe peach the skin will come off with a table knife. Break the skin and it just slips off.
    Of course, the problem comes when you try to find a ripe peach…Not one that is picked green and allowed to ripen on it’s way to market. There were a few good things about the old days.

13. AJ Quigley

Wow, did this ever bring back memories! Mom canned both peaches and tomatoes and dipping the wire basket into the boiling water was my “job”. Sometimes I got to help slip the skins on the peaches. My hands reacted badly with the tomatos and I didn’t get to help there.

14. Lora Wimer

I grew up with my dad in the fruit business. This is NOT the way to peel peaches for the best flavor. Peaches blanched in hot water do not taste nearly as good as peaches peeled with a knife. Sorry, but you are not going to convince me, I have peeled more peaches than I can count. A good freestone peach that is ripe will peel very easily anyway, and the cling peach needs to be peeled with a vegetable peeler.

Thanks for your input, Lora. I won’t try to convince you – no Baking Police here! And when peaches are being consumed fresh, blanching may affect their flavor. But I stand by this method for baking – since you’re going to be slicing and baking the peaches anyway, a 30-second dip in hot water (followed by 45 minutes in a 350°F oven) isn’t going to have a noticeable effect on flavor. And for someone who lacks knife skills (me), or who has arthritis (my mom), it’s a godsend. PJH

1. Shirley

I scrub peaches but never peel them for jam and any other use. It just seems like extra work, and I find that no one notices the peels at all. I also don’t peel tomatoes or apricots or almost anything. In the case of tomato sauce making, I cook tomatoes low and slow in crock pots, mash them in the pot and run an immersion beater through them. The blades remove most of the skins, pulverize the seeds and the remaining skin. Many roads to Roma’s, I guess

15. floobish

The first time I tried this, it didn’t work out. Turns out my peaches weren’t ripe enough. I just tried it again today and it worked great!

16. Dwight Lewis

Thanks for the tip. I am practicing my baking skills for a restaurant and needed an easy way to peal peaches. Now I can use fresh instead of canned.

17. Kevin

I use this method, but I save the peels. Peels can be added to peaches that are cooked for jam. If you are making jam, simply cut up your peaches after you removed the pit. Cut out any bad spots and cook them down. Peach peels will cook down in the jam and you don’t see them. Have been making peach jam this way for 15 years.

Kevin, I’ll bet the peels add rich color, too, don’t they? Thanks for the tip! PJH

1. Sharon Sager

Yes for my water I let them be in just before putting in the jars I put about 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar into my granet oval dishpan’s water to keep them from turning brown. Lemon juice works too but vinegar is lower price and there’s no taste in finished product.

2. Marlene

When my mom canned peaches, she would add about a teaspoon of orange flavored Tang to each quart of peaches and it would result in beautiful (and tasty!) peaches.

18. Lori L

Wow! It’s like magic (or maybe just physics:). I’m thinking I’ll be making a lot more peach cobbler, peach pie, …..

19. The Omnivore

What a great trick! When I buy organic peaches, I often leave the skin on out of laziness but now I don’t have to. Thanks also for the tips on cutting and coring them; that’s always tricky for me as well.

20. Dawn

The peeling trick works great, but I think the cutting tip only works on freestone peaches. Unfortunately I was trying to get through a bushel of clingstone peaches for canning last night. My husband volunteered to help. After we both completely mangled a few, he asked why I don’t give my mango splitter a try. Holy cow! He’d a genius! It worked beautifully, and, because I’d already given the peaches their hot water bath, it often pulled the skin off at the same time!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Great! I’m so glad you discovered that just in time – and thanks for sharing with all of us, Dawn. PJH

21. Aimee

Just used this method to do a whole box of Palisade peaches for canning. It went so fast, I ended up waiting on the dishwasher to finish with my jars and the water bath to heat to boiling! By the way, I dare say that these peaches from the Western Slope of Colorado are the best!!!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Aimee, peach pride is a wonderful thing! My nomination are the enormous, juicy Hale peaches from my hometown of Glastonbury, CT. That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ with it! 🙂 PJH

2. Rhonda

I so agree with Aimee….Palisade Peaches are among the very best in the USA. You know in Colorado that summer is in full swing when there are Palisade peaches, Olathe sweet corn and Rocky Ford cantaloupe!!!!

22. Kira

Wow this is so cool! Could you please tell me the science behind this trick? Our Georgia peaches are always the best, ( we are the peach state anyway…) and I’ve really hated using knives to do my peaches because it takes so long!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Sorry, Kira, I don’t know – tried Googling, no luck. Readers, do any of you know the science that causes peaches (and tomatoes) to loosen their skins when dipped in boiling water? PJH

2. Lynne

Marilyn is right. The quick trip through the boiling water cooks a very thin layer of the flesh just under the skin, making it softer. This is why it doesn’t work well with underripe or overripe fruit; the underripe doesn’t soften enough and the overripe is already too soft.

BTW, I use a related method to skin salmon fillets, which seem to only be available here with skin on. After spending months practicing, buying a special knife, etc. I was still leaving more flesh on the skin than I was happy with. One day I was distracted, and plopped an unskinned fillet into the hot pan, skin side down. I quickly realized my mistake, grabbed out the fish, and, Wow! the skin slipped right off!

30 seconds in a hot, hot pan, then use a blunt table knife to separate the skin — if your table knives have little serrations like mine do, just use the back edge of the knife, if the fish was in the pan long enough it should do the trick just fine.

The secret is the blanch: The quick heat, then cooling, causes the skin to separate from the flesh and simply pull away. Fast and easy! Laurie@KAF

24. Colleen

I can’t believe people didn’t know about this! I swear by this trick…also, I know you said no knives, but it does help a bit if you use a knife to cut a small X at the bottom of the peach. Once it’s boiled, the cut skin pokes up and you can just grab it and pull it off. I accidentally found myself pinching flesh along with skin so I tried it that way and haven’t had an issue since. Now I can’t wait until next month…fresh Jersey peaches to bake with! 🙂

1. Elaine Marie

Colleen, I was just going to mention making the small X cut before the water bath when I saw your post. Works like a charm and sometimes I skip the ice bath if I am making a pie right then. And you are right – Hooray for Jersey peaches!

1. Mama

Use the temperature setting suggested in the recipe.Remember to reduce the amount of cheese filling, probably by half! Line a 9 x 12 baking pan with foil, leaving some hang over the edges. Spread a graham cracker (cookie) crust on to the bottom of the pan. Tamp down. Bake about 5 minutes. Spread the filling over the crust to about a 1 ” depth. Bake until a toothpick comes out ‘clean’. Allow to cool and remove the whole slab on the foil. When cool, cut into servings and remove the foil.

25. Marilyn

There are cling peaches and freestone. This method seems to work well for freestone but not for cling. I’ve recently had experience with cling getting moldy before ripening. Did the hot bath, ice bath and still had to peel. Confusing.

26. Jerry

I will be 70 in a few months and I have my first every garden!!! I’m loving it. I just have tomatoes and I do them this way since I can’t eat peels of any food. A friend brought me some peaches today. I peeled 1 with a knife and….what a chore!! I will try this.
    I have one other question if someone can help me. Last summer I fell in love with tomatoes (that’s why the garden this year). The difference between store and fresh is day and night! However, I peel some and froze them but they were just mush. Is there a way you can freeze them for eating out of season and they stay a little firm? I just love them and want them all year *L*.

Jerry, Kudos to you for taking on new challenges and trying new foods! What a great way to stay young and vibrant. Although you can’t exactly achieve a crisp, fresh tomato after freezing, you can use the same method described in this post to blanch and peel your tomatoes and then freeze them. Freezing does tend to make mush of tomatoes, but these will have some structure and be great in cooked foods. Barb@KAF

2. Lori

I think caning tomatoes makes them hold their texture better than freezing them. Have you ever done any canning of any kind?

We have 1 or 2 people on our Baker’s Hotline who have some experience with canning. If you would like to give us a call, please do! We can be reached at 1-855-371-BAKE (Monday-Friday 7:00am-9:00pm EST, Saturday & Sunday 8:00am-5:00pm). Good luck and happy baking! Elisabeth@KAF

27. Barbara

Do you think I can peel the peaches one day and slice the next? I’m making a caprese salad with peaches instead of tomatoes.

1. Susan Reid

Barbara, you can blanch them one day, but don’t peel until just before you need them; peaches will oxidize and turn brown if they’re let peeled for a day. Lemon juice would slow but not prevent that reaction. Susan

28. Rhonda Hensley

I froze my peaches whole until I had some time to make use them for something else. I’d like to make some peach butter. Can I place remove the pits, but leave the skins on, cook the peaches in a crockpot like some apple butter recipes, then put the peaches through a kitchenaid fruit grinder and sieve to remove the skins like I do with apples when making applesauce? Some of the peach skins are not easily coming off (too green?) and I thought this might be a time saver for me.

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Rhonda. Your idea should work just fine; a food mill is ideal for getting the pulp free without pulverizing the skins too much. Susan

29. Jeri-Ann

I do this with peaches and tomatoes both, but I score a small x in the bottom of each peach or tomato before putting them in the boiling water, just to give it a head start. Works perfectly when canning batches of sweet chili sauce!

30. Tina May

Cut a small X in the non-stem end, not too deep, and it will make removing the skin even easier. Same with tomatoes.

31. Kimberly D

This is the way my Mom and aunt taught me, with tomatoes and peaches. Also did bushel after bushel of peaches when I worked as a baker at a Orchard, we would freeze the peaches in the unbaked pie shells so we could bake them when ordered.

32. Marian

It isn’t necessary to peel nectarines at all, because when they’re cooked, the peels soften down to where they’re exactly like the fruit. I’ve made nectarine jam (tastier than peach jam), nectarine chutney, nectarine and blueberry crumble, and never peeled them nor had anyone notice the presence of the peels.
    I haven’t tried nectarine ice cream (yet) but probably that would be fine too, since for ice cream the fruit is pretty much puréed anyway. Oh, lovely, lovely stone fruit season!

33. Crystal

If I am canning and can’t get to the tomatoes right away I’ll cut out the stems and freeze them on a cookie sheet. When I’m ready to can them I run them under the warm faucet. Skins slip right off. Then I can them once they’ve thawed. Not meant for fresh use. Wonder if peaches would work too.

Crystal, we haven’t tried this, but other commentators have suggested this method. Barb@KAF

34. Deb

I just did this with some peaches yesterday…the main change I do is my ice bath is lemon juice is in my bath water to prevent browning before I half and then freeze.

35. Connie Morrison

When using tomatoes in my recipe for spaghetti with veggies, while I’m sauteeing the other vegetables, I drop the whole tomato into the boiling pasta water for a couple minutes before adding the pasta. Take out the tomato, let it cool a bit and the skin comes right off. Then I can chop it up and add it to my cooking veggies.

36. Janice

I have never peeled peaches as I buy to eat … I don’t use peaches in baked goods honestly as I never really liked. (I am a baker’s daughter and grew up in an Italian bakery..mostly Italian pastries and cookies) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do like blueberry and apple cobblers tho. My question is if I were to try, what type of peach– White or Yellow Freestone? It is like asking for apple pie, Granny Smith or Red? Recipes always Granny Smith. I like the flavor of Yellow Freestone, but would imagine White is used for baking. Thanks for your suggestions in advance! Love King Arthur products~

Janice, Yellow Freestone peaches are great for baking! Go with the flavor you like and use them when they’re ripe! Barb@KAF

37. Fun size wife

My mom canned peaches every summer and this is how we peeled peaches and tomatoes. Speed prep!

You can always rely on the Barefoot Contessa to show you the way! We bet she loves this method because it can be done ahead of time. You can be prepped and ready to go with a simple peach dessert in no time. Kye@KAF

38. Kyle S McHerron

My issue is never the skin. Its removing the flesh from the pit. Which is much harder to do once its peeled.

39. Rose McKeown

I don’t know the science behind it either, but I think we’d all lose our skins too if someone dipped us in boiling water and then in ice water. Seriously, though, I grew up in the forties and my mother always prepared her tomatoes for canning this way. I guess she didn’t know that it worked with peaches, too, because I can remember peeling a lot of peaches and ending up with itchy arms from the juice running down. I love peaches and all this talk about them is making me hungry for some. I think I’ll go out and buy some right now! Thanks for the great tips and advice. It’s fun reading everyone’s ideas and comments.

40. Randolph Devries

I wanted to use the peaches for slices for dehydrating. Before I dipped them in hot water, I made a thing slice around to the pit. Then all I had to do after the ice water was to twist to remove the pit and then peel and slice.

41. Jeri-Ann

I use this method for both peaches and tomatoes. Sometimes I kick start by cutting a small x at the bottom of the peach or tomato to help lift the skin.

42. Terry Lawrence

How can I know a peach is truly ripe and not just “feel” ripe? Some grocers roll the peaches on a belt to soften the pulp beneath the peel. They feel ripe but when I get them home and begin the cobbler process I find that they are mush on the surface and hard to the pit. It’s so frustrating.

That can be tough to suss out sometimes Terry, but usually you can trust your sense of smell. The peach should smell robustly “peachy,” when held close to your nose. We also recommend buying peaches from a farm stand or local grower if that’s a possibility in your area–most farmers wouldn’t dream of intentionally bruising their fruit! Kye@KAF

43. Mary

I’ve used this method often, and sometimes I make peach preserves with the skin on after they are pitted…the ever delicious and amazing Colorado Palisade Peaches work best with both methods!

44. Nancy Brown

My question is “is there a way to get the peaches to let go of the stones easier?”My mother did some pickled nectarines for me years ago. She and my grandmother agreed that you couldn’t use free stone peaches or nectarines in the pickling process.

That can be tricky, Nancy. We’ve found that the best tool here is time. Ripe peaches tend to “let go” of their pits much easier than semi-firm ones. You can also try cutting the peach into smaller segments that can be removed one at a time if you’re dealing with a stubborn pit. If you find a tool or another technique that proves to be a life-saver here, please let us know! Kye@KAF

45. Deborah Faria

OK, so here’s a question for peach peeling. Mine are coming off my tree so no chemicals to wash away only the fuzz. I did the blanching method, but there are some that the skins won’t give. Any thoughts? I guess I can peel them with a paring knife or what about leaving the skins on in a pie – will it be horrible?

It will most definitely not be horrible if you leave some of the skins on your home-grown peaches. Some bakers even choose to do that purposefully to add another flavor and texture element to their baked goods. You’re welcome to use a pairing knife to remove any stubborn skins, or simply leave them on and see how you like the result. We think it will be peachy-perfect! Kye@KAF

46. PBJ

Tip to remove peach pit…after blanching and cooling peaches and before peeling, cut peach in half, then twist each half in opposite directions.