Quick Pots de Creme: Easy sweet

Raise your hand – who wants to make the fastest, easiest, richest-creamiest-chocolatiest ELEGANT dessert – ever?

OK, hands down.

As in hands down, these Quick Pots de Crême are the best darned “chocolate pudding” you’ve ever tasted.

Start your stopwatch – you’ll discover just how quick these really are.

creme1

Place 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional) in a blender or food processor and pulse until finely ground.

Add 1 large egg and pulse just until the mixture is smooth.

Note: If you worry about food safety issues around uncooked eggs, use a pasteurized egg.

Heat 1 cup heavy cream to just below a boil, with small bubbles forming around the edge of the saucepan (or microwave-safe bowl). Turn on the blender or processor, and slowly add the cream. Scrape down the sides of the container if necessary.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; or 2 tablespoons liqueur, if desired. Here I’ve opted for Kahlua. Pulse to blend.

IMG_1815

Divide among 6 individual serving cups, about 1/3 cup crême in each. Cover with plastic wrap, not touching the surface. I put the six ramekins in a 9″ x 13″ pan, then covered the pan with plastic wrap; consolidating them made it easier to move the crêmes around.

OK, here comes the not-so-fast part: Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

The crêmes will become quite solid; firmer than pudding, somewhere between the texture of thick Greek yogurt and cream cheese.

photo

Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Or, as I’ve done here, with a simple splash of heavy cream, raspberries on the side.

Or simply garnish with a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and fresh berries.

Then again, you can also turn this into instant-gratification, no-bake chocolate cream pie!

Here’s how I do it: Crush 24 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 9 1/2 ounces cookies) in your food processor. Add 1/4 cup melted butter; pulse to blend. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the pots de crême, which will now become pie filling.

IMG_1927

Double the pots de crême recipe, using 2 cups chips, 2 eggs, 2 cups cream, etc. Pour it into the chilled crust.

IMG_1930

Depending on the depth of your pie pan (this pan is 1 1/2″ deep), you may have extra crême left over; I had about 1/4 cup. No problem – just pour it into a little cup and stash in the fridge – baker’s treat!

DSC_5240

Chill the pie in the fridge until cold, then place in the freezer, covered in plastic wrap. Once frozen, it’ll be quite hard; remove it from the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to slice and serve it.

So, what are you waiting for? In the time it took you to read this blog post – you could have had Quick Pots de Crême chilling for tonight’s dessert!

Read, make, and review (please) our recipe for Quick Pots de Crême.

Print just the recipe.

Note: Again, if you worry about raw eggs and food safety issues, use a pasteurized egg in this recipe.

comments

1. Celia michEl

This is without a doubt the easiest and most delicious dessert recipe ever. Only one egg and a trace of sugar! Took it to two dinner parties with rave reviews. Make sure to scrape sides of the blender as you go so that the chocolate chips are finely ground. And bring the egg to room temp before you start. This recipe is a real keeper. Thx

2. Ed

made this with an oreo (store bought) crust. Didn’t fill the crust as much as I would have like so I covered it with whipped cream. Left out the vanilla on accident so added it to the whipped cream. It was great. Made in a regular blender. I might try to scale it up next time to fill the crust and have leftovers ;-). My sister has a gluten issue so an almond meal crust and this might make an appearance at holiday time. Thanks.

Another way to keep them Gf would be to serve them in fancy individual tea cups. Betsy@KAF

3. Caroline

LOVE this! I made the pie (and a couple of leftover cups), and it is incredible. I did use light cream (instead of heavy cream) and it was runnier than the pictures but the taste was wonderful. Next time I will either use less cream or just give in and use heavy cream (calories, shmalories). I also used less than 1/2 tsp vanilla because I’m not a huge vanilla fan and it was perfect. I will be making this again. Thank you for this indulgent recipe!

4. Heather

These turned out excellent! I didn’t have espresso powder and I substituted Folger’s instant coffee (it worked fine). As for the egg, since the shell is the concern, I immerse the egg in boiling water for a few seconds, then rinse in cold – that addresses any salmonella concerns. (I do the same when making mayo, etc.) Fresh raspberries were an awesome pairing! Thanks for the recipe!

Great, Heather – thanks for your enthusiastic feedback here, and for the tip. Many people don’t realize it’s the egg shell that can cause problems; if the egg is intact, the yolk/white will be fine. Glad you enjoyed the recipe – PJH

5. BARBARA

When we lived in Paris I naturally took cooking classes.
    At the end of the introductory classes we were tested & each student selected a card with our “test dish”–I was so lucky as my selection was “Pots de Crème”—it is sooooo good & yours is much the same. We used Frangelico instead of other liqueurs.

Thanks ever so much for a trip down memory lane!

Frangelico is amazing with chocolate, definitely one of my favorite flavor combinations.-Jon

6. ruthie

Do you think you could use almond milk. I make my own, so I could stop at the more creamy stage. I’ve never used it in anything where it was heated, though, so I’m not sure how that would work.
    Thanks

Ruthie, you could certainly use almond milk, but I don’t think it would thicken nearly as much as the recipe made with cream. It would definitely taste good; and you could put it in the freezer to help it thicken. Just make sure, if it freezes solid, to take it out in plenty of time to let it thaw a bit before serving. Good luck – and let us know how it goes, OK? PJH

7. Sally Fowler

Looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad to share it, Sally – it’s always so satisfying to find a really tasty, REALLY easy recipe, isn’t it? Enjoy – PJH

8. Melissa Sibert

Bonnie, there is a dairy free version I think on The Pioneer Woman’s blog using hot coffee instead. I made it and it is delicious.

9. foxnad

You should be able to freeze the pots, correct? Just to have a spare dessert for last minute company.

Sure, as long as your “pots” are freezer-safe. Enjoy! PJH

10. Cindy leigh

You know, it’s really the outside of the shell that’s more worrisome than the contents. Wash your eggs well before using, with dish soap and water, and rinse well.
    I have 20 hens and use raw eggs all the time, but I scrub the shell with soap and a plastic bristle brush.
    You can also take a different approach and temper the egg with the cream, make a custard of sorts so the egg is cooked, and then proceed. In most recipes. I’ve never tried this one.

Excellent advice, Cindy – and yeah, it’s the shell that’s the issue, not the contents. I just figure, people have been eating raw eggs for many, many centuries – and yes, chickens are raised differently now than they used to be, but still, I think the chance of a problem is slight – especially if you’re careful how you handle the egg to begin with, as you say. Thanks for your 2$ here, esp. since you have lots of experience with raw eggs from your 20 chickens! 🙂 PJH