Quick Pots de Creme: Easy sweet

Raise your hand – who wants to make the fastest, easiest, richest-creamiest-chocolatiest ELEGANT dessert – ever?

OK, hands down.

As in hands down, these Quick Pots de Crême are the best darned “chocolate pudding” you’ve ever tasted.

Start your stopwatch – you’ll discover just how quick these really are.

creme1

Place 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional) in a blender or food processor and pulse until finely ground.

Add 1 large egg and pulse just until the mixture is smooth.

Note: If you worry about food safety issues around uncooked eggs, use a pasteurized egg.

Heat 1 cup heavy cream to just below a boil, with small bubbles forming around the edge of the saucepan (or microwave-safe bowl). Turn on the blender or processor, and slowly add the cream. Scrape down the sides of the container if necessary.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; or 2 tablespoons liqueur, if desired. Here I’ve opted for Kahlua. Pulse to blend.

IMG_1815

Divide among 6 individual serving cups, about 1/3 cup crême in each. Cover with plastic wrap, not touching the surface. I put the six ramekins in a 9″ x 13″ pan, then covered the pan with plastic wrap; consolidating them made it easier to move the crêmes around.

OK, here comes the not-so-fast part: Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours.

The crêmes will become quite solid; firmer than pudding, somewhere between the texture of thick Greek yogurt and cream cheese.

photo

Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Or, as I’ve done here, with a simple splash of heavy cream, raspberries on the side.

Or simply garnish with a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar and fresh berries.

Then again, you can also turn this into instant-gratification, no-bake chocolate cream pie!

Here’s how I do it: Crush 24 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (about 9 1/2 ounces cookies) in your food processor. Add 1/4 cup melted butter; pulse to blend. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9″ pie pan. Place in the fridge to chill while you make the pots de crême, which will now become pie filling.

IMG_1927

Double the pots de crême recipe, using 2 cups chips, 2 eggs, 2 cups cream, etc. Pour it into the chilled crust.

IMG_1930

Depending on the depth of your pie pan (this pan is 1 1/2″ deep), you may have extra crême left over; I had about 1/4 cup. No problem – just pour it into a little cup and stash in the fridge – baker’s treat!

DSC_5240

Chill the pie in the fridge until cold, then place in the freezer, covered in plastic wrap. Once frozen, it’ll be quite hard; remove it from the freezer about 30 minutes before you want to slice and serve it.

So, what are you waiting for? In the time it took you to read this blog post – you could have had Quick Pots de Crême chilling for tonight’s dessert!

Read, make, and review (please) our recipe for Quick Pots de Crême.

Print just the recipe.

Note: Again, if you worry about raw eggs and food safety issues, use a pasteurized egg in this recipe.

comments

1. Thea

This sounds great especially with the Kahlua! I am concerned with raw eggs, one doesn’t know how old they are, the transportation process from farm to storage to store and the temp changes. Fresh, just laid eggs are not as much as a concern. When visiting France I saw that they didn’t refrigerate eggs, they were fresh! So, can you give the best tip on tempering or pasturizing eggs. Thanks!

2. karenwier

Please read following info re. Salmonella from safe eggs.com site

How Does Salmonella Get into Eggs?
    Wonder how Salmonella enters the egg supply? Experts say that chickens carry the bacteria in their own bodies, and pass Salmonella along to the yolk and white while the egg is forming in the ovaries. Chickens can also pass bacteria to the eggshell—and through the shell pores into the inner egg—when the egg is laid. Chickens can harbor Salmonella without being sick themselves.

Eggs involved in Salmonellosis are almost always Grade A commercial eggs. Contrary to popular beliefs, cracked eggs are not generally responsible for the Salmonella problem. An intact shell by no means guarantees safe eggs. Likewise, cage free eggs, free-range eggs, organic eggs, or brown eggs are in no way exempt from the Salmonella risk.

Any part of the egg can harbor bacteria, and both whites and yolks have been implicated in foodborne illness. However, the yolk is the most common source, according to the USDA. The most common element in foodborne illness: Eggs were served raw or undercooked. Per USDA regulations, eggs are washed and egg processing plants undergo washing and sanitization. However, these practices do not eliminate Salmonella contained within the egg.

3. Elle

I made these dairy/soy free by using Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips and a cup of coconut milk. They were divine! I’ll be making them that way often until my son outgrows his dairy/soy intolerance or weans! Thanks to the commenters who said it would work…such a wonderful treat!

4. Linda

I understood chocolate chips have an additive to help them keep their shape when heated. Therefore, one might believe the pots de crème made with “chips” would be more dense than that made with “ground chocolate” or a chocolate “bar.” Is this a fair assumption, or will using my best chocolate bars (6 oz.) work, as well since I am not a big “chip” fan.

Use your favorite chocolate bars (6 ounces) and it should thicken just fine. We’d love to hear the results after you do the taste (and texture) test! Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

5. Kirsten

I have a bag of already ground chocolate. Would 1 cup of ground chocolate be the same as 1 cup of chocolate chips, ground?
    And just when is National Pots de Créme Day? Need to mark that on my calendar!

August 27th is National Pots de Creme day. One cup of ground chocolate is likely a bit less than one cup of chocolate chips, ground. It depends how packed your ground chocolate is. If you have a scale, you will want to use 6 ounces of ground chocolate.~Jaydl@KAF

6. marileecm

I want to try these, but I rarely use my food processor because I often have leaks when using with liquid. My blender is the Classic Oster with only one speed. Any suggestions for me?

The quick recipe that PJ developed is a lovely one – quick, yes, and luxurious. You might make an equally luxurious, but slightly less quick version in your food processor by making two half batches. The smaller batches shouldn’t spill out of your machine.~Jaydl@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Gitta, I haven’t. Anyone else out there tried it? It sounds like it would be yummy – thanks for the suggestion! PJH

2. Kathy Forester

I used lemon chips. Came out very good but very sweet. Next time I wont add sugar. I topped it with unsweetened whipped cream and that cut the sweetness. Really yummy. Great quick dessert. Cant wait to try it with some raspberry chocolate chips I have. Yummmmm 🙂

7. Jeanne

I was afraid to put them in the freezer, didn’t want them to get “icey”.
    instead I put it all back in a pot, warmed it over boiling water, added 2 tbsp. corn starch diluted in some half & half & 1 tempered egg yolk. That did the trick!
    I had originally made two batches (separately, as doubling sometimes changes things), & neither one set up. One was just a bit firmer but not much. Still don’t know what happened. But all’s well that ends well!

8. Jeanne

I made your recipe for pots de creme today,exactly by your recipe, & 7 hours later they’re still not set up. What happened??? Can they be saved?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jeanne, not sure what could have happened (you’ve got them in the fridge, right?), but stick them in the freezer, to harden up; depending on when you want to serve, if they get TOO hard, just take them out about 15 minutes before serving. Don’t worry – they’ll be delicious. PJH