Boston Cream Pie French Toast: Yes, I said Boston Cream Pie French Toast

Looking back, it’s been just over a year since we posted our blog on traditional Boston Cream Pie.  We were just a little surprised at the number of folks who responded with their shared love of the cake-not-pie, but so pleased that it brought this great dessert back to center stage.

Since then, I’ve noticed a big increase in the popularity of all things Boston Cream Pie. I don’t think it is because of the blog but rather the blog hit a food trend just as it was growing. Perfect timing, even by accident.

So far I’ve seen cream pie doughnuts, cupcakes, muffins, ice cream and even a martini. Shortcut ice box pies are quite the rage online too.  The recipes that have caught my eye the most were the breakfast recipes though. Boston Cream Pie as pancakes, waffles and my favorite, French Toast? Pass me a fork and head for cover, I’m all OVER that!

Another bonus? I get to use my favorite King Arthur Flour recipes and mixes. First up, a batch of Walter Sands white bread.

img_7294.JPG

Can you use another recipe? Absolutely. I’ve been wanting to try our Yeasted Banana Sandwich Bread, it’s another favorite for French toast.

While the bread is baking, make a batch of pastry cream for the filling. You can make it from scratch if you prefer, today I’m using our pastry cream filling mix. Make up about 2 cups worth, you don’t want to skimp on stuffing the stacks of toast.

2-DSCN1450

To make the toast layers, slice 1/2″ to 3/4″ thick slices of bread. Give them a quick dip in a mixture of eggs and milk. I generally wing it on the milk amount but if you want to be specific the American Egg Board recommends 8 eggs and 1/3 cup milk to cover 8 slices of bread.

1-DSCN1447

Dip both sides of the bread in the egg/milk and place on a hot buttered griddle or pan for about 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  Set aside cooked pieces of toast on a wire rack in a 200°F oven to keep warm if you need to grill in batches.

We’re nearly there. Bread is grilled, pastry cream is chilled, now for the decadent fudge topping.

To make the icing, place 1 cup chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate and 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl or cup.

Heat over low heat (or in the microwave) until the cream is very hot. Remove from the heat, add 2 teaspoons of softened butter and stir until the chocolate melts and the icing is smooth.

1-FrenchToast-14W_750x500

To serve, place one piece of warm toast on the plate, top with a generous scoop of pastry cream and spread to the edge of the bread. Place another piece of toast on top, then cover the top piece with a thick layer of warm ganache icing.  Serve to diners amid sighs of anticipation and delight.

Who am I to kid you? This is a luscious, decadent dish best served for special occasions. I know it would make a Monday morning breakfast extra exciting, but come 10 am you’ll want to take a “happy full tummy” nap and I don’t see the boss smiling as you do. That is, unless you brought extra to share!

**Please note, there is no printable recipe for this blog.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Deborah

Oh dear, my waistline is doomed. Doomed, I tell you! I had been fantasizing about a Boston cream pie, but this is even better.

I had been wandering around this incredible website after using it to find a reliable sourdough starter recipe (on day 2 and so far so good!) Thank goodness the people I work with will eat every confection because this one is coming their way soon. It’s my version of portion control.

2. Deborah Calyo

OMG! :You have no idea how my mouth is watering right now. I love old fashioned Boston Cream Pie. Too bad you really can’t find it any more.

3. Scully

Ugh. This was so promising! Boston Cream Pie is made with custard, not pastry cream. Totally different things. I’m always disappointed to see a recipe confuse these two things.

Scully, we’re sorry that this recipe was a disappointment, but do appreciate your feedback! Barb@KAF

4. Boston Cream recipe

Does anyone have a good Boston Cream recipe, ,send to my email address please. hd65wunder@ Gmail .com. And Thanks

5. Barbara Robbins

Where do you buy King Arthur Whole wheat flour – I need it for a British receipe for making a special Beef Liver cake for My special dog’s B-Day

Barbara, here is a link to our Store Locator webpage. Just choose the product, punch in your zip code and it will show you stores carry the flour nearest to you. http://bit.ly/1iFl9al
      Bryanna@KAF

6. James Pagdon

Perhaps you can temper the chocolate and envelope it so when it hardens you can pick it up and eat it by hand? or envelope it and freeze it and serve it like an ice cream sandwich. Dribble one corner with some shaved toasted almonds before the chocolate hardens to give your hand a spot to hang onto it while chowing down. hmmmm i think as is and as altered by everyone here sounds delicious. Thank you for your amazing recipe.

Those sound like some pretty interesting ideas! Please let us know how they turn out. Laurie@KAF

7. Joanie

Do you have a “from scratch pastry cream” recipe to use? I don’t like to have to run to the store – which probably won’t have the mix anyway – when I want to make something. Thanx

8. Matthew

I want to make this recipe in a mini version. But serve cold, but I’m afraid the bread will get too soggy. What are your thoughts on this?

A mini version sounds like fun to us! If you would like to make this recipe ahead of time and serve it cold, we recommend preparing it through the step where the two slices of bread are covered with pastry cream and sandwiched together (hold off on the chocolate). Cover and refrigerate for 3-5 days, knowing that the flavor will be better the sooner you serve it. The bread might get a bit soggy as it rests, but this could be quite pleasant as the bread soaks up the flavor and softens into a bread-pudding-like consistency. It’s all in the perspective. Cover with chocolate ganache right before serving. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

We haven’t actually tried this, Susan, but it does sound intriguing and delicious! Let us know how it turns out. Barb@KAF