Pancake Squares: Round up the family for a good square meal

Do you, being of a certain age, remember when McDonald’s first started serving breakfast?

I certainly do. It was a pretty big deal back then, and for our small family it was considered a real treat.

I remember for us it was reserved for Sundays only, and we would go after church, still in suits, ties, and dresses. My parents didn’t need to be warned that the coffee was hot, and we kids didn’t need to be warned that we still needed to act like we were in a restaurant, not a fast food joint.

My breakfast of choice was always the hotcakes. They came in a squeaky Styrofoam container that you could easily puncture with your plastic knife to make patterns with your “maple syrup”. The butter atop the pancakes was a little scoop, not a square pat and you could swirl it around and around before eating the last little bit off of your fork.

These days my Mickey D’s visits are few and far between and most Sunday mornings you can find me merrily answering baker’s hotline calls from my desk at King Arthur Flour. Quite often I wish I could have that hotcake breakfast again though (minus the frilly dress and bows in my hair; no, I will not share pictures).

Thanks to Pinterest, that giant bulletin board of ideas in the cloud, I now have a way to share pancakes without standing at a griddle, or standing in line for takeout. I’m sure plenty of you have been doing this for years, but for me… a revelation.

Behold the pancake square.

PancakeSquares2_750x500

That’s right, pancake batter baked in a rectangular pan then sliced into squares. So simple, it plumb evaded my notice for years.

I know you all don’t need a step by step tutorial and can figure it out, but here’s a few photos for the curious.

DSCN1758

My all-time favorite pancakes are blueberry pancakes from a mix. Toss everything in a bowl, blend it up well and pour it into a greased 9″ x 13″ x 2″ pan, or for thicker cakes a 7″ X 11″ baking dish.  You can, of course, use your favorite mix or scratch recipe.

DSCN1761

Bake at 350°F for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown on top and a cake tester tests clean in the center. At this point the whole house will smell like pancakes, and you’ll be wondering why your back isn’t smarting from standing over the griddle for the last 25 minutes.

Keep in mind if you add fresh fruit or frozen fruit, the baking time may be slightly longer.

For the full breakfast experience, why not add a tray of bacon to bake at the same time? PJ’s blog makes bakin’ bacon a breeze.

DSCN1764

You can serve the squares plain to cover with (or dip into) syrup, or you can make a simple glaze with 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, and enough milk to make a smooth, spreadable glaze. I like to add just a pinch of salt to cut the sweetness, but that’s just a personal choice.

DSCN1765

A pastry brush is the best tool I’ve found for spreading the glaze over the warm pancakes before slicing.

Cut your pan full of goodness into squares and serve warm.

If you’re feeding several hungry mouths, you can make as many trays of pancakes as you need. You could even fill the pan with batter the night before and then bake straight from the fridge in the morning. Leftovers can be stored well-wrapped at room temperature for 2 days, or frozen in individual servings.

DSCN1769

Happen to have one of our burger and pie pans for making individual pieces? I found it was perfect for making large pancakes. Make a stack of these at the beginning of the week and everyone can choose their own flavors each day. Hot breakfast for the win!DSCN1773

Delightful, and perfectly portable. And nary a hair bow in sight!

So, how late am I to the pancake square dance? Is this something you’ve been doing at home for years, or are you a newbie like me? Only the comments will tell.

MaryJane Robbins

comments

1. Alesia

You know I never thought of baking pancakes – do you think it work in mini muffin tins? I’m thinking I can make 3 different kinds at once. Thanks for the great idea.

1. Jerry

It works wonderfully. I’ve done it many times. Far easier than the griddle and keeping the first ones warm, until all are done.

2. Zoe

I tried a different recipe this morning, but they were flatter, but this recipe looks really fluffy! I just found out about them too!

2. Sarah in Kansas

Oh my gosh these were soooo good! I made them today using your Simply Perfect Pancakes recipe and added blueberries. 20 minutes was all they needed to cook in a 7×11 glass pan. I loath making breakfast, let alone breakfast for a crowd, so this recipe is perfect. I tried it out today as a test run before all our company comes this summer and it was a smash hit with our family. Thank you thank you!

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

That’s wonderful Sarah! We’re having a crowd for the 4th, so this is totally on my summer menu as well. ~ MJ

It really is a great idea; totally something I am going to try in the near future. Jon@KAF

3. Tegan

This was so fortuitous, I was thinking about pancakes this morning but wanted to try something different. My husband and I just finished enjoying baked pancakes for breakfast, they turned out great! I used the KAF Simply Perfect Pancakes recipe and substituted 1/4 cup of almond meal for 1/4 cup of the AP flour just to add a little nutty flavor. It was really delicious, and a welcome reprieve from standing at the stove flipping pancakes. We will definitely do this again!

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hey, if they can make cronuts, why not pannuts? do-cakes? ~ MJ

2. Janice Kessler

I have a donut pan and I think I have a pumpkin pancake mix….now they’re gonna be baked pumpkin donuts!!!

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Oh, thank goodness I wasn’t the only one! Newbies unite! ~ MJ

4. juliana

I have been thinking about this since it was posted this morning…so brilliant! I’m off to make it for dinner now!

5. Carolyn

As a fun variation on this, I use my doughnut hole pan to bake the pancake batter in. Always a hit!

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Once I clear a little space in my second pantry, I MUST get myself a doughnut hole pan. Thanks for sharing Carolyn! ~ MJ

6. Shirley

I love baked pancakes! I made them for the first time this year after I saw a recipe in a magazine, baking it in a cast iron skillet and topping it with berries. And, I tweaked it to use KA Self Rising Flour.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

I’m really loving them more and more too. PS, LOVE the name of your blog! ~ MJ

7. Mayre

Looks great! I usually make with the kaf whole grain mix, to make in the 9 x 13, would I use 2 cups mix, 2 eggs, 2 cips buttermilk?
    Thank you.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Mayre,
      I just follow the directions on the mix for making a full batch, then pour into the pan. OR are you talking about the whole grain baking mix? For multi-use mixes, Bisquick etc., if you use a recipe that make about 20 4″ pancakes, that is a great size for making in a 9″ x 13″ pan. Hope this helps. ~ MJ

Sure, that shouldn’t be a problem. Just make sure to reduce the baking time to 15-20 min. Jon@KAF

8. MaryJane

Thanks to Margaret for sending along an email reminder to put parchment between your squares if you are stacking them for storage. Leaning tower of Pancakes anyone? ~ MJ

9. Gene Dixon

Never thought about baking pancakes – totally not right! But I will try them. Love buttermilk pancakes and what I mixed up was always more than I wanted at one time, so this should solve that problem.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

I don’t think I’ll ever give up traditional pancake Gene, but this is a nice option to have too. Hope you like ’em! ~ MJ

10. Marsha Phillips

I am a fan of our Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix recipe. Can I use this recipe and about how much batter should I use to serve two people? What size pan do you think would be best?

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Marsha,
      There are a lot of variables, but in general a “full” recipe that makes 20 regular pancakes will make a 9″ x 13″ pan of baked pancakes. If just the two of you are eating and you don’t want to freeze leftovers, try a half batch and bake in a 9″ square. ~ MJ

11. Carol Kopp

I have a friend that always put drained, whole kernel corn and a little bit of sugar to their pancake mix. They won’t eat any pancakes without it. How about this to be added to the recipe?

I love corn in just about anything. I think this would be a tasty addition. Maybe try adding 1/2 – 3/4 cup of corn to the recipe that MaryJane references. Sweeten by adding more sugar as you like. Maybe ask your friend their advice. Elisabeth@KAF

12. Sandy

When I saw this original posting on the blog I kept it in mind as was such a great idea. I made this yesterday for my 3 teen granddaughters who were down visiting. In a word…AMAZING!!! They loved, loved, loved these pancake squares. I made this with Cup4Cup gluten free flour and almond milk (all 3 are Celiac and one avoids dairy also). I made a regular batch of scratch pancakes so used a 9 inch square pan. First I put a layer of batter in pan and spread around. Then sprinkled generously fresh blueberries and diced fresh peaches. Then spread remaining batter over top to cover and baked. So, so, so good!!! Taste and texture was fantastic and such a fun way to have pancakes! Thank you for this idea!!!!

Sounds like a wonderful success and we’re so happy to help you bring everyone together around some good home cooked breakfast! Who doesn’t love fresh pancakes in the morning? Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

13. Caroline

Honestly, I am not a fan. They lose all the qualities I love in a pancake. No crispy edges from frying in shortening, no cakey, soft moist texture in the middle, poor butter/syrup interaction. I totally understand why people who like a different type of pancake might enjoy these, but if you like my Grandmother’s pancakes* these will not fulfill your pancake cravings.

(*I realize that is totally nonquantifiable!)

14. eaorazi

I just bought the burger and mini pie pan. I’m going to try this over the weekend with cinnamon chips in it.

15. Tom

How on earth did I miss this the first time around??

I’m immediately intrigued! I volunteer at our local free community meal. This sounds like a good way to prep breakfast, without needing to clean the griddle! We have three full sheet size bun pans, and a convection oven.

I’ll need to do a trial run, but I see a lot of possibilities! Thanks!

16. jabillitti

Fantastic idea and great comments and suggestions from readers. I’m going to try a gluten free version!

17. SusanWozniak

Scratching my head. Why not bake a cake with reduced sugar or corn bread or some other quick bread?

1. SusanWozniak

This a follow up to my own comment. I used the KA “Simply Perfect Pancake” recipe to make this rather than my usual (when I am at my daughter’s house) Joy of Cooking pancake recipe. First, the recipe itself was not a time-saver nor was it simple. Second, a glitch appeared that neither my daughter nor I could address adequately that is simply handled when frying pancakes: lumpy batter. Although I waited for 15 minutes, the lumps never dissolved in the raw state and they remained when the cake was baked. When the batter is fried, the lumps vanish.

Third, I increased the amount of the recipe by 50% because 1 and 1/2 C flour in a 9 x 13 pan sounded like a crepe. I generally do that anyway because the left-overs are frozen for instant breakfasts for my 2 y/o granddaughter.

At the end of 22 minutes of baking, the batter had risen just a little and had browned at the edges but the top was a rather anemic pale yellow. Although the instant thermometer said the internal temperature was 200, I put it back for 3 more minutes. It had browned somewhat but we had waited for an additional 30 minutes due to following the original recipe.

Although the cake was moist, the flavor was bland, despite my having added cinnamon as I almost always do to the batter. The appearance was not inviting.

Perhaps, if I had used the JOC recipe or, my personal favorite, the yeast raised pancakes from the ancient New York Times Bread and Soup cookbook, the results would have been better.

I never minded the frying process. When my sons were teenagers and the house was filled with boys on weekends, I either made pancakes or French toast. Cheap, easy, filling and, best, appreciated. I still make pancakes at least once a month. However, I found this more work, more time consuming . . . and far less rewarding.

Furthermore, the cake rose to 1/2 inch in the middle. We are used to pancakes that puff up almost as much in the frying pan.

Best of all, when there are children or hungry teens in the house, at least one pancake person is available within 10 minutes, if the cook uses two frying pans or a long griddle. This morning’s wait did not reward.

Susan, we’re sorry to hear that the baked pancake method was not a success with your family. We’ve found that for some folks, this makes a breeze out of making breakfast in the morning, but for others they prefer the old-fashioned method of flipping jacks over the stove. As long as everyone can sit down to a delicious pancake at some point in the morning, we’re happy, no matter how that is achieved! If you would like to talk with one of our baker specialists about some tips you could try if you ever want to attempt this recipe again, please give us a call at 855-371-2253. Happy pancake baking! Kye@KAF

18. member-dorothyleonard272

Don’t know where I’ve been….never heard of this, certainly never thought of this!! But what a good idea. Will surely try..would be great for making for a bunch. Anyway thanks for sharing a good idea and a new way for pancakes, but I do like them thin with crispy edge.

19. Cindy Moore-Sailors

I love the idea! I’m a newbie to this easy approach to mass quantities of pancakes as well. I might have to bake a doughnut pan incarnation just to overcomplicate things.

20. Jennifer

Preheated an oiled and buttered cast iron skillet, because yum, crunchy crust. Success! Oh it was goooood. And the look on my toddler’s face when the GIANT pancake appeared on the table… Awesome!

21. bampam1

What a clever idea…………will be giving this a try. My husband is growing his own blueberries, and he’s soooooooo proud of them, his water misting idea, and of course the netting to keep the birds out.
    Monday’s our 47th wedding anniversary, and I may just serve him breakfast in bed using this recipe. We make our own sausage, so what a breakfast it will be!!!!!! What I wouldn’t give to spend a couple days in the King Arthur kitchens, watching and learning unique people and ideas at work. Thanks Mary Jane and everyone at King Arthur.

1. Eloise

I only briefly took the time to look at the professionals in the kitchens,but I just spent three doughs in eight hour a day classes at the Baking School and it was heaven. Do yourself a favor and enroll. You will not be disappointed!

22. Deborah Zotian

WOW! What a great idea. I need to save this so I can make it the next time I have friends over for brunch. Or just because. Thank you.

23. Linda

I made these last night with fresh raspberries. Simply delish! If I’m allowed, I’ll post my picture in the comments, it’s mouth-watering good looking. Thanks for another great recipe/idea.

Linda, we can’t post pictures here, but you could definitely post a picture of your raspberry pancake squares on our Facebook page! Barb@KAF

24. Kathy Hettrick

Making in large batches and freezing for future use sounds great, but would be helpful if some guidelines were given regarding best way to warm up to consumable stage that gives best results, i.e.; close to fresh made taste.

25. Deborah

Just mixed two tablespoons cinnamon sugar in with the dry mix. Everyone in my house was smiling as they walked out the door with cinnamon (pan)cake muffins in their hands.

Suki, using a gluten-free pancake recipe or mix should work fine with this method of baking the pancakes. Here’s a GF pancake recipe you might like to try. While you can substitute our GF Measure for Measure flour into the pancake recipe linked, I would not recommend substituting our regular Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour. Barb@KAF

26. KC

I love this! Making single pancakes always seemed like too much trouble…and leftovers not real appealing. I’m also thinking I might try this in my mini donut pan. A couple of those with some maple syrup for dipping.YUM.

27. Christine Grygar

I have a home daycare, and creativity is a must. I absolutely love my mini donut iron. I put pancake batter in, bake for 2/2.5 minutes, put them on a plate with syrup in what’s supposed to be a hole but ends up being a well because of the batter spilling over (it’s perfect). I also cook cake batter, corn bread, muffin batter and even ground beef! Everything bakes super quick and in bite size pieces!

28. Robin

I used the KAF Simply perfect pancakes recipe and fresh strawberries instead of blueberrys. It didnt bake up anything similar to the photo. Im assuming it was the water content of the strawberrys. The baked “pancake” was thin, dense, moist and still wet around the strawberrys after baking for 30 minutes.

Robin, sorry to hear this was a bit of a struggle. It does sound like perhaps the strawberries were very juicy! I hope that doesn’t discourage you from trying it again! Maybe cut back on the liquid next time around. That should help. Bryanna@KAF

29. Jackie

Lovely post! I am totally making these with cinnamon, brown sugar l, and diced apples. Talk about the best and easiest breakfast to for big crowd brunches too. Good eats!

30. Christine

I saw the moment above about making this GF…I happen to have a package of KAF GF pancake mix in the house. Would I need to do anything special to that?

Thanks!

Christine, I think our GF pancake mix would work fine with this method! Baking time may be a little different with this mix, so keep an eye on it the first time you bake it this way. Barb@KAF

31. Maureen Donovan-McLaughlin

Well, my baked blueberry pancakes are in the oven and when cool, I am going to test them and then, very quickly, cut them, bag them and put them in the freezer. Easy fix breakfast. Will try them with raspberries and blackberries too. Wouldn’t strawberries be scrumptious?

All of those sound scrumptious! Chocolate chips would be nice, too, and bananas. Maybe apples or pumpkin in the fall. Bryanna@KAF

32. Joy White

My mom made pancake ‘cake’ in a cast iron dutch oven. Always turned out yummy. Slathered with a lot of butter and a good dollop of her homemade apricot or blackberry preserves. Now that was growing up!

33. Tina May

Hate to break it to you, but McDonald’s first starting serving a breakfast item, egg McMuffin, back in the early 1970s…Pancakes and other items did not come along for some years.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Tina,
      This got me thinking that maybe my memory was playing tricks on me. I could definitely remember the squish and squeak of the fork on styrofoam, and wearing a dress because it was after church. I checked out the McD’s timeline and the original hotcakes came out in 1972, along with the famous McMuffin, and eggs. There was a deluxe pancake breakfast introduced in 1987, too, and now breakfast all day, wooo hooo! I will admit to getting my Egg McMuffin on a few evenings, for sure. Thanks for the trip through history! ~ MJ

34. Glynis

I made them this morning for the first time. Brilliant!!! I baked them in my muffin tin – half with preserves and half with pre-cooked diced bacon pieces, onion & mushroom. T’was delicious.

35. Laura Park

Ok, so I tried this morning using the boxed King Arthur Pumpkin pancake mix which I love! And I used my non-stick donut pan.

So to see if I really like the new method I made six in my donut pan and used the remainder of the batter on my griddle as traditional pancakes.

I’m here to say that the traditional pancakes were so much better, and I hate to say that because I wanted to like this method so much.

1st – The donut pancakes did taste good but they are not the same as a pancake. They’re very cakey, and if you like a cakey product then that would be very good. And it did puff up and look like a real donut! But they do not taste like a traditional pancake.

2nd – It is critical to liberally grease your donut pan including the “bump”, or it’s very difficult to get them out in one piece.

3rd – And then cleaning up the donut pan was quite a pain. So I don’t see where I gained any time savings.

In summary, the traditional pancakes really tasted the best to me because I wanted pancakes!

If I wanted a cakey-type product then the donut pan would be okay but it really is not a time saver.

Next time I’ll try this technique in a 9 by 13 pan and see what happens.

36. Sheila

To feed 4 people including a teenaged boy, I use a recipe that calls for 3C of flour, 2C of milk, and 4 eggs – separated, with whites whipped stiff. How would that work as baked? What size pan? Of course there’s no sense in whipping the egg whites if you’re not going to bake it right away, but I’m just looking for a way to eat all together rather than having the cook eat after everyone else is done, or taking turns flipping.

Hi Shelia, since we’re not familiar with this recipe, it’s hard to say exactly what size pan would work best for baking pancake squares. You might consider a deep dish 9″ by 13″ pan, or if you want thinner squares (with more surface area for maple syrup!) you might want to try using a half-sheet pan (13″ by 18″ inches). The baking times will vary based on how deep or shallow the batter is, so keep an eye on your squares as the kitchen starts to smell heavenly! Kye@KAF

37. N

Is there no way to see the recipe without having to scroll through this blog? Why are blogs being sent to my inbox anyway? I am interested in recipes ONLY!

Hi there fellow baker, we apologize for any frustration this post may have caused you. Sometimes our blog posts focus on recipes and other times, on techniques. This is one of the latter: demonstrating how to turn your favorite pancake batter (whether that be from a recipe or a mix) and bake it as pancake squares. Since it sounds like you’re open to trying new recipes, you might want to try using this recipe for Simply Perfect Pancakes the next time you need to make breakfast for a crowd. Simply follow the instructions outlined here and bake! Kye@KAF

38. Gaylen - Carriage Corner B&B

I’ve been doing this for at least a year and it is a requested recipe at our B&B – I bake mine in huge cake pans – maybe 14″ rounds, then layer 3 blueberry pancakes with lemon curd. Slice like a cake and serve with homemade blueberry syrup.

39. Colleen

I always make sourdough pancakes using the discard from my starter. I make the sponge before I go to bed and in the morning add the eggs, oil, baking soda and salt. Could I then follow the same method for baking? Thanks!

If you’re asking if you can use your sourdough pancake batter and bake it off as pancake squares in the morning, the answer is most definitely yes! The batter for sourdough pancakes might need just a few extra minutes in the oven to bake all the way through, so just be sure to look for golden edges and a springy surface in the center. If you’re asking about preparing the pancake squares the night ahead of time, the answer is also yes. You can store the batter in the fridge overnight in a 9″ by 13″ pan, take it out the next morning while the oven preheats, and then bake as directed adding 2-3 additional minutes to the bake time. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Hi Lucy, there’s no printer-friendly version of these instructions available since author MaryJane simply used her favorite boxed blueberry pancake mix to whip up these pancake squares. If you’d like to print a fail-proof recipe for pancakes, you can use our Simply Perfect Pancakes recipe here. Or you can also copy the text in this blog post and paste it into a word document for easy printing. We hope that helps, and happy baking! Kye@KAF

40. cookinggram

I would be concerned that they would be kind of doughy and would sit heavy in your stomach. Also, my family looks forward to a big Christmas dinner and I would think this kind of recipe would keep you full for quite some time. Sounds somewhat like a German Pancake I have had in the past.

We realize that some bakers like the ephemerality of a perfect pancake, so we encourage you to whip up a batch if that works best for your family. Keep in mind, however, that you can always cut the pancake squares to size making them as large or small as you like. They’re quite versatile. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

41. Sheri Kinler

I love your KAF Whole Grain Pancake mix I make at home (stays good in fridge for couple of months. Do you think that would work and would I have to let it sit 20 minutes after combining mix, buttermilk & egg before baking like recipe calls for to make individual pancakes?

You absolutely can, Sheri. We’re honored that this recipe has become a favorite in your household. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

2. Susan Reid

Hi, Sheri. Yes, it should work, and yes, you should still give it that rest. The point of resting the batter is to allow the oats and bran to absorb the recipe’s liquid; you’ll get better results if you do that. Susan

42. Fernando

I need to double the simple pancakes recipe for that pan? That’s an amazing idea. Thinking about baking with strawberry and apple. Thanks for sharing that incredible idea. I need to grease the pan, right?

We can’t wait to hear how your strawberry apple twist on this recipe turns out, Fernando! We do recommend greasing the pan with a thin layer of baking spray just to ensure it comes out of the pan easily when serving. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

43. Tricia

Thank you for a nostalgic and tasty read! I will try these baked pancakes. Thanks for sharing something that makes me wonder why I never tried it before.

44. Linda Morgan

I too am late to the Pancake Square Dance !! I have taken muffin mix and made pancakes out of them but always cooked on my Cast Iron Griddle !! Will have to try this way next time !!

45. Rick Curran

I used a regular pancake mix and poured it into a 9x 9 cake pan. I added a double handful of chocolate chips and baked as to the instructions. We all loved it. Only problem was that the chocolate chips dropped to the bottom. This created a thin chocolate chip layer. We ate it upside down. No big deal. It makes a great cake. Maybe we will put some frosting on it next time.

46. Carrie

If using a boxed pancake mix, do you follow the directions to make one batch of pancakes, and pour that amount of batter into a 9 x 13 pan? Hope I’m not asking a silly question. I reread the blog, but I’m not clear on how much batter to make. Thank you!

No silly questions, here Carrie! The recipe called for in the recipe makes 12 large pancakes, so one batch of pancakes from a mix would likely create about that much batter. It might take a little trial and error to get just the right amount, but those would be some tasty errors! Annabelle@KAF

47. Suzane Burkhart

I’m anxious to try the baked pancakes. Do I need to grease and flour the pan like a regular cake? About how much batter would I need for a 12” iron skillet? Thanks for the help. Suzane

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Suzane. Grease your skillet but don’t flour it. Fill the skillet with enough batter to make it 1/2″ to 3/4″ deep. Susan

To prevent the pancake squares from sticking to the pan, you’ll want to spray it with a bit of non-stick spray. This will give you a better release than greasing and flouring the pan (which tends to create a bit of a paste). Kye@KAF

48. Paula Jordan-Gluck

I saw this recipe idea, decided that might be good for upcoming brunch, but had to test it first –did so this morning. I used a WW blend mix. Put a few Glazed Cinnamon Pecans on top, baked 25 minutes in a 9″ square (10-13 pancake portion.) Baked perfectly! The glaze was too soupy, but I dumped it on anyway. Tasted like a pancake–but still needed butter and more syrup in my opinion. After that addition, it was delicious and will make for the brunch! The texture was excellent, I’m sure that will vary with your mix or recipe. Was going to add a picture, but how?

Thanks for taking this recipe out for a test run, Paula! Our website doesn’t currently support photo sharing, but we’d love to see a shot of your bake and hope you’ll consider sharing it on our Facebook page or by using #kingarthurflour on Instagram or Twitter. Mollie@KAF

49. Kelly

I think KA sparkling sugar would be a nice touch on the top. Mine came out crispy around the edges and the sweetness with crunch would be perfect.

50. Emily

What would cause the baked pancake to resemble cornbread a little? I used cashew milk and added 1 tsp more baking powder to the SIMPLY PERFECT PANCAKES recipe that was suggested. Any ideas?

Hi Emily. Usually if a pancake or even regular cake comes out with a cornbread-like texture, the culprit is over mixing. Try whisking your ingredients just until they’re combined and you should have smoother, fluffy results. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF