Gluten-Free Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes: on the flour flipside

I remember the first time I made pumpkin pancakes. It was while I was working at Shelburne Farms – an historic Vermont destination inn in the heart of the beautiful Lake Champlain Valley. And that occasion was the first time I really appreciated the harmonious medley of maple and pumpkin.

A warm, maple syrup-soaked, tender, pumpkin-y breakfast cake touched with cinnamon is pure autumn morning heaven, and a small piece of quintessential Vermont.

The pancake. An ideal place for pumpkin.

And maple.

And gluten-freedom!

Yes, pancakes are one of the easiest ways to use gluten-free flours. Today, we’ll make these yummy pumpkin breakfast treats with both coconut flour and almond flour.

IMG_0415

Combine the following:

2 large eggs
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons honey (optional but delicious)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

IMG_0418

Stir the mixture until everything is blended.

IMG_0420

In a separate bowl, whisk together the following:

2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup whey protein
1/4 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice; or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon + a pinch each of ground cloves and ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon xanthan gum

IMG_0424

Whisk the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients. Let the batter rest while you preheat your griddle to 350°F, or heat a heavy-duty frying pan over medium heat.

IMG_0425

Liberally grease your cooking surface and drop the pancake batter by generous tablespoonfuls onto the griddle or into the pan. A tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

IMG_0430

Cook the pancakes on one side until you notice the edges beginning to dry out. You may see a few bubbles on the surface, but these won’t have as many as a typical pancake.

IMG_0431

Gently turn them and cook the other side until firm. Repeat with the remaining batter.

Serve pancakes warm. With…

…a shower of maple sugar?

…warm maple syrup and melting pats of butter?

…chocolate chips sprinkled on top?

Or how about Plain Jane? These pancakes are flavorful enough to stand on their own merits.

And, these pancakes can go way beyond a delightful autumn breakfast. Will you transform them into dessert, with a scoop of vanilla or ginger ice cream, perhaps?

They’re also versatile, size-wise – dollar-sized cakes arranged in a short stack are perfect for tiny toddler fingers; or for more diner-style service, make them the circumference of your plate.

I hope you’ll fall for this sweet AND gluten-free pumpkin pancake recipe!

Please read, make, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes.

Print just the recipe.

Amy Trage

Amy Trage is a native of Vermont where she spent much of her childhood skiing and training for the equestrian event circuit. With a strong desire to pursue food writing, Amy took her English degree from Saint Anselm College to the New England Culinary Institute ...

comments

1. LaMar Williams

I want the Pumpkin & Spice Pancake Mix. We have purchased it for many years and Cabot seem to buy it from you now. WHY!!!!!

It’ll be back, LaMar! All of our pumpkin-flavored mixes and products are seasonal and will return in the fall so you can stock up. Annabelle@KAF

2. LeAnn

These gluten free recipes are great for my hubby and I as they are low carb and I can swap out the sweetener. He has to watch his blood sugar. What I really would like to see is the nutritional breakdown. Is this listed somewhere? Keep up the great recipes!
    LeAnn, We do have the nutritional breakdown for you. It is located at the bottom of the recipe on the website. Here is a link to the recipe for your convenience: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-pumpkin-spice-coconut-flour-pancakes-recipe. I hope this helps and Happy Baking! JoAnn@KAF

No Xanthan Gum? Risky! It helps hold the moisture so the pancakes won’t be dry and crumbly. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

3. Beverly

The butter still isn’t corrected on the recipe. I checked on the print option at the end of the recipe, the link above that, and the link just below the picture at the top of the recipe page. Could you please tell me how much butter to add to the pancakes please? Thank you!

There is no butter in the recipe, Beverly. Originally there was, but it was taken out and the directions in the blog still mentioned the butter. This was corrected and now both the recipe and the blog do not mention butter as an ingredient. Barb@KAF

4. e. Hill

I also echo the above comments and appreciate the options to grain free recipes, I can’t have any grains at all and I have not been on KAF for a while ( I still bake for my family with grain flours, but it’s easier when everyone can eat the same) but, now that I know you are occationally adding recipes with dietary restrictions, I will come back more often! It is this kind of dedication to your customers that has kept me with KAF for all of these years. You have always had awesome products to offer, love the openness to change.
    Thank you!

We certainly do our best to accommodate all that we are able to! Working with non-grain based flours has certainly been a learning process. Expect more such recipes in the future. Jon@KAF

5. Tory

I missed this recipe when it was first posted, but caught it now in your Pumpkin email. I’d like to add my wholehearted thanks to KAF for your inclusion of ‘alternative’ recipes and to you, PJ, for your generous comment above toward all of us who love to bake and will continue to follow you despite our personal restrictions. Although I am not bound by Celiac Disease, I have found that I am healthier (and at a healthier weight) when I follow a low carbohydrate diet. This discovery really set me back as I love to bake, have followed KAF products and recipes for many, many years, and truly believe in the benefits of whole grains. Seeing a recipe like these beautiful Pumpkin-Spice Coconut Flour Pancakes really makes my heart soar because I find adjusting the flours to be the tricky part (adjusting the sweetener is a breeze) and here you’ve made the magic for me! So thank you again for thinking of all of us and for the great pleasure it always is to see mail from you guys! ~ Tory

6. Beth R

Having Celiac Disease has been a rough road, and I have enjoyed so many of your recipes over the past 4 years, and want to tell you how much I appreciate your dedication to our gluten free community. Just this summer I was diagnosed with a dairy intolerance (not just lactose), and my heart broke. So many recipes include dairy. I can work around milk, as their are lots of non-dairy milks, so I want to thank you for explaining how to work around the whey protein in the comments. It is this kind of dedication to your customers that has kept me with KAF for all of these years, before I was g.f., and since my diagnosis.

Beth, we’re so glad we can be of assistance to you and other bakers who have challenging dietary restrictions. We appreciate your comments and continuing support. Barb@KAF