The secret ingredient chefs won’t admit using: and how to make it at home.

The New York Daily News reports Chef Michele Weber, of Manhattan’s Upper West Side restaurant Good Enough to Eat, plows through four cases of it a week, making “Crack Dip” and her special scrambled eggs.

Chef Ron Eyester, from Rosebud in Atlanta: “I use it in my restaurant mac and cheese – it’s so creamy – but we don’t say that on the menu description.” – Every Day with Rachael Ray.

And last winter, when there was a shortage of this key ingredient just before the Super Bowl, the Today Show urged consumers not to resort to hoarding – their favorite queso dip could be made with substitutes.

Given the photo at the top of this post, you’ve probably guessed by now what I’m talking about:

Velveeta cheese.

A childhood friend for many, Velveeta has followed us right on into adulthood. Some claim it still makes the best mac and cheese ever, due to its supreme “meltability.” Others swear by it for superior grilled cheese sandwiches.

I haven’t purchased Velveeta in years, truth be told. But when I saw this recipe for DIY Velveeta on one or our favorite blogs, Brown Eyed Baker, I simply had to give it a try.

And darned if these four simple ingredients (shredded cheese, a packet of unflavored gelatin, dry milk, and water) didn’t make a block of smooth orange “Velveeta.”

In like 3 minutes flat.

So OK, you’re not a Velveeta fan. But make this soft-yet-firm, creamy “cheese mixture” and I swear you’ll find as many uses for it as there are old-timey dips, sauces, sandwiches, and casseroles out there using Velveeta – which is plenty.

IMG_9059

First, line a suitable container with plastic wrap. I used our 9″ x 4″ x 4″ loaf pan, but go ahead and use whatever shape of pan you like.

Note: I later discovered this recipe fits perfectly into two plastic wrap-lined 3 1/4″ x 5 3/4″ mini loaf pans, the typical foil pans you find at the supermarket. Mini pans yield a more Velveeta-like shape.

The preparation couldn’t be simpler. Put 6 tablespoons dry milk (I used our Baker’s Special Dry Milk, which is nonfat) and a 1/4-ounce packet dry unflavored gelatin in a blender or food processor. Blend briefly, just to combine.

Add 1 cup boiling water, blending just until smooth. IMMEDIATELY add 16 ounces shredded cheese. I used a couple of 8-ounce bags of shredded orange sharp cheddar cheese. Brown Eyed Baker says to use a mild, freshly grated cheese, but this seemed to work just fine.

Process until the mixture is totally smooth.

Go ahead, dip your finger in to taste – that’s the best way to tell.

IMG_9052

Pour/scoop the mixture into your prepared pan. It starts setting up pretty quickly, so don’t dawdle. Gently pat the plastic wrap onto the surface; the less wrinkled the wrap, the smoother your final product.

Refrigerate for a few hours, until it’s set. Take it out of the pan, and make sure it’s wrapped securely – no bare surfaces showing. Refrigerate until you’re ready for a grilled cheese.

DSC_5665

Or mac and cheese.

Or everyone’s Famous Queso Dip – which is made with just two ingredients: this cheese, and a can of Ro*Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (one 10-ounce can added to a pound of cheese).

DSC_5659

The recipe, which originally comes from Chef Michael Symon (you know, the guy on Iron Chef), says it’s good for a month in the fridge. I can neither confirm nor deny that – I used mine up at a party within a week of making it.

DSC_5671

Yup, I admit it – I went all the way and made Famous Queso Dip. And trust me, it’s making another appearance on Super Bowl Sunday.

I’ll be feeding the same audience – and even the non-cooks in this crowd can figure out how to buy a bag of Fritos!

comments

1. Quinn

I’ve never used Velveeta but now I wonder if I’ve been missing out! I’ll add this to my list of fun things to try – thanks 🙂

1. Kathy

It has always been something of a guilty pleasure for me – it’s my favorite for mac & cheese – so I’m delighted to see that I can come out of the closet, or maybe I should say pantry.

2. tniner

I made this last week, using a blender, exactly as the recipe states. The texture was smooth and firm after it chilled. I was pleased with the result , for the most part. For me, the flavor of the dry milk was more prominent in the finished product than I would have liked. I used a very good quality sharp cheddar which I shredded myself and Kroger store brand dry milk. I expected more cheese flavor and less dry milk aftertaste. Melted just like Velveeta, but not sure I’d like it for mac and cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches ,unless there were additions of other cheeses in the recipe to mask the aftertaste. Also made queso (added home canned salsa instead of the Rotel) and it was good. Will try a different brand dry milk next time to see if it makes a difference.

3. David

I still have a Velveeta 2# container that I haven’t yet opened; but will soon as I have used this in Mac and cheese for 30 years and grilled cheese too. My question is this sounds like it makes a 1 pound block of Velveeta style processed cheese which one can buy in a store for appx. $4.00. I buy 2 pounders at $6.00. This will cost about the same for a 2 pounder yet you get a one pounder, plus the cleanup. Advantage? I think making the other fave of the 60s and 70s “Cheez Whiz” would be worth making as a jar is $3.50 – $ 4.00.

Sometimes it’s fun and a source of some pride to know how to duplicate things! Plus, you could make terrific custom cheese blends, whereas you don’t get that option with premade Velveeta. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

5. Sharon Sheldon

I have a question could you use regular milk instead of the water and then take out the Dry milk?
      I am not a fan of the dry milk

6. Susan Reid

I think its worth a try, Sharon. The amounts for dry milk and water are the same for reconstituting milk powder for drinking. Susan

7. Sabrina

If you have never tried velveeta no worries it doesn’t taste as good as some people think it does. I love how creamy it is for cheese sauces but will not buy it because of all the chemicals they put in it.
      I am definitely trying this one.

8. Justin Fulton

It broke both times I have tried to use it. I made mac and cheese and it got grainy and watery. I followed the recipe to a t. what could be wrong.

We’re sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Justin. It’s hard to say why this might be happening, but it could be that you’re heating the cheese too quickly at too high a temperature. Try heating it lower and slower next time, and you may get a better result. Good luck! Mollie@KAF

10. Catherine A Dempsey

I would use freshly grated cheddar. Packaged grated cheese has cellulose and fillers and does not have a fresh taste.

2. Chris B.

To get even closer to a Velveeta-style cheese, you can use an emulsifier called sodium citrate or sour salt. It keeps the fat from separating out of the cheese and makes the end result even smoother. You can follow a similar process as above, omitting the gelatin. It works on essentially any cheese.

Modernist Cuisine has a calculator you can use to tinker with the ratios of cheese and water to dial in the texture you want–anything from cheese dip to a solid block: http://modernistcuisine.com/2012/10/melty-cheese/

1. Ruth

Would citric acid work do you think? I can get that locally….

I wonder if you can play with the numbers to get “cheese spread” dang, now I have to try it. I’ve been wanting to make my own “cheese spread” for ages!

2. PJ Hamel, post author

Ruth, you mean, citric acid instead of sodium citrate, to make a version with gelatine? They’re not the same thing chemically, so I wouldn’t recommend it. And if you do “play with the numbers,” let us know how it goes, OK? I’d assume using less gelatine/more water would yield a nice cheese spread. PJH

3. ruthcatrin

Yah, I meant instead of the sodium citrate, when I look it up I get lots of results for citric acid (which I can get locally). I’ll have to play around with the gelatine version, gotta pick up some gelatine and dry milk….

4. Patricia Arlin Bradley

I’ve used the sodium citrate and it’s fantastic. I’ve always found Velveeta too sweet for my liking.

5. rhonda

using the sodium citrate you can then make any flavor “velveeta” style cheese. and its simple to do

6. Pamela Joyce

Ruth, sodium citrate and citric acid are not the same chemicals. I’m pretty sure the substitution would not work. I have made the sodium citrate one, and it’s great! Using a blend of cheeses (cheddar and Swiss) makes it even more like Velveeta.

3. Sandy Davis

Despite all the laughter and teasing I have never abandoned my beloved Velveeta because you are right nothing melts as smooth and creamy. Every time I look for Velveeta it in the grocery store they have put it in yet another obscure location. Thanks s for the alternative recipe. I will give it a try the next time I’m craving mac and cheese or cheese dip. I’m feeling the urge today!

1. Janice

I especially love it when I find it in the refrigerated section of the store. Always makes me laugh out loud!

2. Marybeth Wombacher

Velveeta had gotten so expensive anymore. I have used it to make pimento and cheese spread. Some of you may never have heard of it. Kinda of a southern thing.

4. Melissa

Chris beat me to posting the link to the Modernist Cuisine recipe, which I really like both because of the texture, and because it keeps the recipe vegetarian (unlike the gelatin-based recipe). I love to use a blend of cheddar and gruyere, with maybe a touch of something blue if I have a bit left in the fridge, when I make mac and cheese!

1. Giovanna

There are vegan options for gelatin if animal products aren’t what you use. I’m not vegan, but I don’t like that they use horse hooves so I use the vegan gelatin!

5. cmfenton429

So how is this on the salt factor? I admit I love the sausage dips, mac & cheese, and just about anything that can be made with Velveeta, but I can never get over how salty they all taste. Maybe that’s nature’s portion control for me, who knows? This recipe seems like it would have a lot less salt, but I was wondering if you noticed a difference. Regardless, I think I may have to try this soon.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

I did notice that this tastes less salty than regular processed cheese; in fact, it pretty much tastes just like the cheese you make it with, unsuprisingly… PJH

6. Agnes Powe

The only problem is that you have taken a vegetarian friendly product and added gelatin, which is meat-based and therefore no longer vegetarian friendly.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Alas, Agnes, gelatin is key here, so thank goodness for the “real” Velveeta, for all of us eating vegetarian. Or, try this vegetarian “melty cheese” recipe from the Chow web site. Sodium sitrate stands in for the gelatin. PJH

2. rasnews

You can use a kosher gelatin to keep it vegetarian/dairy without meat. I’ve seen clear kosher gelatin in some stores but it’s a bit harder to find.

3. Larry Potter

I would guess if you are vegetarian and worry about eating gelatin why would you eat cheese as that is dairy?

4. Linda

Larry, eating cow hooves (gelatin) is what a vegetarian considers a direct insult to the animal’s well being. Cheese is just what is made from what the cow produces naturally. Vegans are the ones who do not eat cheese, eggs, milk, etc.

5. Jill

Hi Larry…you may be thinking of a vegan diet…which excludes all animal products including dairy and eggs, whereas a vegetarian diet only excludes animal products from dead animals ( e.g., meat, or animal hooves, which is what gelatin is made from)

7. lisagail1070

or cheezy potato casserole which has been a standby with ham dinners in my family from the dawn of time.
    A stick of butter, a block of velveeta and a can of cream of mushroom soup melted and blended together til smooth and stirred into the chopped boiled potatoes.
    Gosh, if I follow this recipe first, then I can take out the Z in Cheezy because it will BE REAL CHEESE. 🙂

1. Robyne

lisagail1070, The ‘block’ of Velveeta that is used…..is it the one pound block? And how many pounds of potatoes are used? Tx! This sounds delicious! 😀

The recipe calls for 16 ounces of shredded cheese, and NO potatoes. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

1. hyfynut

This should be no ones idea of “cheese”. But as a recipe ingredient that produces silky smooth, creamy texture it’s unbeatable. Many cooks/chefs put together various groups of ingredients to get this texture in a dish. And with this make at home recipe you can greatly improve the flavor over Velveeta by using great cheese in it. It’s not cheese. It’s a tool to accomplish a goal. And so far it’s unrivaled. If you make mac n cheese , queso dip, au gratin potatoes, hash brown dishes etc , etc, give it a try. In small doses it has nothing but beneficial qualities in the final dish. It’s a great “trick” to have up your sleeve.

The recipe uses a boiling liquid, to dissolve the gelatin. You could bring your milk to a boil instead, then add it to the gelatin. Let us know what happens! Laurie@KAF

8. Zendelle

I am hesitant to use powdered milk because of the oxydized cholesterol it contains. Can I use real milk instead and reduce the amount of water?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Zendelle, I don’t know – I didn’t test that. If you try it, let us know how it goes, OK? PJH

9. cwcdesign

Would there be a difference in texture if you grated the cheese yourself. I know about the convenience of pre-shredded cheese, but I was wondering if the added ingredients such as cornstarch and cellulose (but not in Cabot – yay) change the texture.

I don’t think it would cause any problems to add your own grated cheese. Go for it! Barb@KAF

2. Misty

I don’t see that the recipe is specifying pre-shredded cheese. I assume it is suggesting one’s own shredded cheese anyway.

PJ used a pre-shredded cheese in her version, and the Brown Eyed Baker suggests shredding your own, so either should work! Mollie@KAF

10. Kalisa

Can’t wait to try this! This has been posted with perfect timing for me. My husband is “required” to make cheese dip for our friend’s annual Halloween party. He uses a special recipe with jalapenos and habaneros, but has always lamented that he has to rely on Velveeta for its perfect, “melty” texture. We’ll give this a try and see if it makes the dip better! I certainly like anything that eschews whatever chemical process goes into making Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product.

Glad this recipe came in time for your friend’s Halloween Party! Let us know how it worked in your husband’s dip recipe. Barb@KAF

11. Darlene Never

I use the Allrecipes Mac and Cheese Henwood Style recipe. A great combination of cheeses, Velvetta, cheddar and blue. Forget the elbow macaroni. I use Italian Cavatappi. They’re longer and loopy. No bread crumbs needed.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Darlene, I love the cavatappi idea – holds much more sauce, doesn’t it? I’m trying that next time! PJH

12. Mia

I saw this recipe when it was originally posted on Brown Eyed Baker. I just may give it a try. I often make mac and cheese with Cheez Whiz. People give me a hard time about it when I tell them. When I have people try it without knowing if its my Cheez Whiz version or not, they always love it. I do love the idea of a less processed version – so maybe I’ll give this a try!

13. Joanie

Woohoo, this is exciting! Have looked at other faux Velveeta recipes but with a PJ endorsement, gotta try this one. Thank you for sharing!

The hubs and I both ADORE grilled cheese sandwiches with Velveeta, but I just stopped buying it about a yr ago. Trying to eat cleaner, the “not real food” aspect really bothered me, and as mentioned earlier, the increasing practice of stores leaving the darn stuff just sitting randomly around unrefrigerated was very troubling to me!

Now to get some powdered milk. I need to place a KAF order or get to the natural foods store quickly! I have Carnation instant for making hot cocoa mix (Alton Brown’s version 🙂 ) but I don’t believe these 2 products are interchangeable???

Thanks again, PJ, am eager to try this new science experiment! 😉

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Joanie, I’d think Carnation instant dry milk would work – I use the Baker’s Special because I always have it on hand, but give Carnation a try. Still, if you ever bake bread – you really do need that Baker’s Special for your bread, so don’t hesitate to add it to your KAF shopping cart! 🙂 Enjoy your Velveeta experiment – PJH

1. PJ Hamel, post author

No, Jo, that’s not the same thing as gelatin. Luckily, gelatin is very available in supermarkets – just look by the Jell-O, you’ll see Knox gelatine in the orange box. PJH

14. amy

As a Vermonter, I am a VT cheese devotee. I saw you used Sargento and had the knee-jerk reaction of “how COULD you?” But was it the color you were specifically after? I looked through all the Cabot offerings and I couldn’t find one the correct (and necessary) nuclear orange color. You have to attain the correct Velveeta color, I totally understand.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Yeah, Amy, I was going after the whole Velveeta experience. We do love our Vermont Creamery, Grafton Village, Cabot, and other local cheeses (and butters), and use them often. But this just wasn’t the occasion. 🙂 PJH

15. cwcdesign

Oh dear, I thought I had posted a question yesterday, but I must not have hit the “post comment” button.

Most shredded cheese has things added to prevent clumping. Do you think it would make a difference to the texture using freshly grated vs. pre-shredded cheese?

I think this recipe should work fine with freshly grated cheese, since the Brown Eyed Baker recommended using it in this recipe. Barb@KAF

16. Gail McGaffigan

Like PJ, I am very taken with melty cheese of all kinds. Confession: when I make grilled cheese, I often drop little bits of cheese on the griddle, toast them, and munch on them…

…so when I saw this post, I grabbed my 5# bag of cheddar shreds out of the freezer, and gave it a try. It chilled overnight, and I just made gooey grilled cheese sandwiches out of it.

Nice. Very nice.

My kids are allergic to FD&C food dyes, so this wholesome version was appreciated (and a good budget-stretcher, as well). Mine came out the color of those fake, individually wrapped American cheese slices (yeah, they dug it). The color could be further enhanced with tumeric and paprika, which I would suggest boiling with the water to bring out the color. I use these spices in my DIY SpaghettiO’s, and the color is a dead ringer for the “real” thing.

Thanks, PJ. That was some fun on a rainy day in RI.

Gail

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Gail, thanks so much for sharing your “Velveeta clone” experience here. I hear you about the turmeric and paprika – excellent idea! That way you can choose any cheese and still make it fit the Velveeta “look,” albeit with its own flavor – a real plus. Interesting you use them in your spaghetti-o’s, too – to deepen the tomato sauce color, I assume? I’ve always loved the challenge of DIY – sounds like you’re a kindred soul! 🙂 PJH

2. Gail McGaffigan

Aw, what a nice thing to say, PJ!
      Thank you and all the Flourish staff for this blog. I feel so at-home reading here, you folks have become my daybreak tea-buddies! I am working ( and cooking) my way through the entire archive. Love KAF, too: it really IS different.

Re.: paprika+tumeric: yes, color enhancement is needed, because the SpagOs would look awfully pale, otherwise…the ratio of tomato to pasta and water is _that_ small (same with DIY Campbell vege. soup). That said, these spices add a unique, tasty flavor. I really enjoy homemade versions of commercial foods – After all, aren’t they all, in their conception, appetizing and fun?

17. waikikirie

Can’t wait to try this one. I make fudge with Velveeta. YUP!! I said fudge. It is Paula Deen’s recipe and it is fantastic. There’s one for chocolate and one for peanut butter.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

I’ve done that Velveeta fudge, too – doesn’t taste even remotely “cheesy,” does it? Have fun – PJH

18. Carole in Carolina

I manage an organic food coop, attended the CIA, do cooking demos as Locavore Farmers Markets and I use Velveeta in my mac & cheese because my kids & grandkids all think it is some kind of dairy magic. I whir it up with imported gruyere & brie to make grilled cheese on homemade sourdough. I add a little to the Emanthaler to keep fondue from breaking. I toss it with Rotel for nacho cheese for my grandsons’ baseball concession stands. I smoke jalapeños form our garden, grind them up and toss them in melted Velveeta for NCAA basketball, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby – any time two or more of us are gathered for a sporting event. My grandparents are French. Don’t be a food snob – melt the orange cheese-like food, toss in some Texas Pete and have another beer.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

What a great start to my day, Carole, reading this – we’re definitely on the same page! I love food that tastes good; and while I do generally eat healthy, there’s nothing that’s excluded from my diet – including chips and dip, my very favorite food group, which I enjoy on occasions such as you mention above. No Baking Police, I always say; if it works for you, enjoy! 🙂 PJH

19. Kam

Oh boy, KAF, you have opened up a can of worms with this post. (figuratively, cause I’m a vegetarian) I am going to experiment with different cheeses and additions of minced jalapenos or sundried tomatoes or minced veggies…..the possibilities are endless. Love the idea of making my own melty cheese. Thank you!!

They really are endless Kam! Have fun with all your experimentation getting lost in the world of cheesy-possibilities and we hope you enjoy each new recipe as much as the last! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

20. Darcie

I tried this today – it was fabulous! I’ve been wanting to try the Modernist Cuisine sodium citrate version, but never got around to ordering the stuff. This worked great and uses ingredients I always have on hand. Can’t wait to make mac-n-cheese tomorrow!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Darcie, I just had it on my veggie burger tonight. Melted soooooooo smoothly… Enjoy your mac & cheese! PJH

21. Chris

The thing is your version of Velveeta is a heck of alot safer than the garbage in the stores. Four ingredients. Velveeta has at least that many chemicals and preservatives…each. I’ve got to try this recipe because I refuse to buy Velveeta again especially after the “shortage” you spoke of. The shortage never existed but prices sure jumped. Guess what? Prices never dropped after the “shortage” disappeared. Just another gimmick to jack up the price

1. Mary Kay

So glad you brought up the preservative issues with velveta. I am anxious to try this as I refuse to buy velveta.

22. Natasha

Proving, yet again, why KAF is tops in my mind: you don’t shy away from giving us a recipe for Velveeta. You rock.

(My beloved other half, when I showed him the story, mentioned, “and we all know a good Velveeta ages for a couple months… Albeit not well.”)

1. PJ Hamel, post author

The process just fascinated me, Natasha – and sure enough, it made awesome “Velveeta.” What I like is I can use extra-sharp cheddar, or any cheese I want, to do this, so get the smooth, melty texture in all different flavors. I’m sure you’re going to try this – right? Thank your hub for giving me a laugh this morning, too. 🙂 PJH

23. arollo

PJ, I could hug you! I have been a life-long fan of Velveeta Cheese. However, the last time I purchased a box, I noticed the cheese now had a very sweet taste. I check the ingredients and sure enough, they had added sugar to the cheese. It may have had some sugar before, but it seems they have increased it quite a bit. I will no longer buy Velveeta in the store as it just does not taste the same as I remember. I am excited to try this recipe and get back to a flavorful Velveeta style cheese. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.

24. Dee Ripple

I would use a kosher gelatin to keep it vegetarian/dairy without meat so that I can use it for dishes my friends could eat. Can find that at a Jewish deli or on Amazon.com. :O Thank you for this recipe!!!

1. Susan Reid

Dee, Amazon has a couple of kosher gelatins on their site. One is derived from beef, others from fish. Susan

25. Cyd Hay

I finally feel validated. I am a chef and buy velveeta cheese for my Mac & Cheese and some dips too. Yeah- I don’t have to sneak it into my shopping cart anymore

26. Francine Derus

Thanks PJ, I’m going to try this. We loved Velveeta but the company changed their recipe recently. They claim it ‘melts better’. I guess people complained it melted too much? Because in my opinion it does not melt like it used to and because of this it has a slightly grainy feel to the tongue. Basically, it does perform as it used to. So, we stopped using it, but miss it very much.
    Looking forward to seeing how your recipe works.
    Thanks for all your wonderful recipes and products we’ve used during the years.

27. ebenezer94

Mmmmm, I only like mac & cheese made with Velveeta ( I can just never get the texture right with “real” cheese), but since it’s super-salty and just all around not very good for you, I virtually never make mac & cheese. I see some mac & cheese in my future–made with a nice white cheddar or maybe cheddar and Gruyere mix.

28. Bobbye Horton

What a great idea…can’t wait to make this. Years ago I used to make my scrambled eggs with Velveeta..every once in awhile I get an urge for them and break down and buy the Velveeta which usually gets thrown out after a couple of weeks….Now I can make it without ‘breaking’ the bank..lol. Thanks, once again to PJH and KAF….:)

29. TheWildOlive

Just made this and I’m hoping y’all can help me troubleshoot a bit of graininess in the texture of my finished product. Here’s what I did: made it in my Vitamix, so I know it wasn’t “under blended” haha. I used a pre shredded Mexican Four-Cheese blend, which melts well but is pretty mild. So, when I blended the powdered milk, gelatin and boiling water, I also blended in 2 Tbsp of KA Vermont Cheese powder to amp up the cheesiness. Everything was all dissolved looking, so I then blended in the shredded cheese. The flavor is almost a little too cheesy – think blue box mac and cheese. It set up very quickly, and has a bit of a gritty look and mouthfeel to it. Not ruined, because I’m just going to melt this into mac and cheese or queso dip, but do y’all think the cheese powder is the gritty culprit or is it from using pre shredded cheese? Thanks! PS – LOVE this blog!!!

1. Susan Reid

The cheese powder is pretty dry, and adding it may have taken up just enough of the recipe’s water to keep the gelatin from fully hydrating, or from the powder itself getting dissolved. That’s my best guess. Except for Cabot, most of those shredded cheeses have some anti-clumping additives in them, too, which could have contributed to your results. Susan

2. Sally

I’ll bet some of the fat is lacking in the powder too leading to graininess. I used pre-shredded when I made it and it was not grainy. Even then, I’ll bet it worked fine in recipes.

30. Susan Adkins

I’m going to have to try this as my husband is a big fan of velveeta! I’ve made buttermilk and sour cream and want to try cheese. This would be a good way to start! Thanks for the recipe!

31. Alexa Penn

Thank you sooooo much for recipe for “velveeta’ cheese, which I haven’t used for – well, never mind how long :} – Because of the junk that’s probably in it. I am definitely going to make this as my son lives on cheese. Your recipes are always good and interesting – I love just to read them. Thanks again :}

32. Alexa Penn

P.S. I especially like that sharp or extra sharp cheese is used in the recipe, because the velveeta taste is way too mild for our palates – which is another reason i don’t use it. i looked up the ‘Modern’ recipe and so realize that other cheeses can be incorporated into the melty cheese – which, of course, makes total sense – like duh! can’t wait to try combinations :}

33. Claudia Harkins Aron

Oh my gosh! I’m a Foodie, but I’m not ashamed to say I always stock Velveeta. At least I did until we moved to Cuenca, Ecuador. Now cheese dip is hard to come by, although I optimistically brought several cans of Rotel home from Texas my last trip. We can’t buy Velveeta here, for some strange reason, and I can’t wait to see if I can gather the ingredients to pull this off. Cheddar here isn’t good, but maybe I can come up with some acceptable blend. Thank you so MUCH!!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Claudia, it seems to me most any cheese would work – I hope you come up with something good you can combine with those RoTel tomatoes for Ecuadorian cheese dip! PJH

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jane, that sounds like just the ticket – heavenly is right! Thanks for sharing. PJH

34. MAGGS

going to give this a try, my query is what is the shelf life for this great recipe? I am a recipe/baker/gatherer! How long can I store it as I plan to make a big batch to give as Christmas food gifts, along with samples of my home made syrups, to my family & friends! This will be an added bonus as I also make my Famous TRIFLE! well it’s famous in my family/friends, they all have refillable bowls I gave them!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Maggs, the original recipe directions say you can store it up to 1 month in the fridge. Sounds like your friends and family have a very merry Christmas coming their way! PJH

1. PJ Hamel, post author

I don’t know, as I’ve never worked with non-dairy cheeses; but if you try it, let us know how it comes out, OK? PJH

35. Marie

Making my mom’s pierogies I kept thinking something was missing my sister came up to help me and we started talking and she said mom always added velveeta to the potato mixture. she was right we added the Velveeta and wow what a difference. I use velveeta and a white cheddar along with the fried onions can’t beat it in pierogies.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Sounds totally yummy, Marie – glad you and your sis figured out Mom’s secret ingredient! PJH

36. Christie Haun

I do not have access to a food processor or a blender, both listed for use in this recipe. Do you think I could use my KitchenAid mixer instead? Velveeta is my FAVORITE (Not afraid to admit it), and I really want to try this recipe. What do you think?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Christie, I fear this won’t work, due to the cheese not becoming fully melted. However, if you want to try it, make sure the water is boiling when you pour it in, and work very quickly, so the cheese gets into that hot water fast. If the mixture is lumpy, try heating gently. No guarantees, but probably worth a try. Let us know how it turns out, OK? PJH

37. redrockbluesky2981

Just came home from vacation in Oregon with a 2 pound block of Tillamook Extra-Sharp Cheddar from the cheese factory. Good timing! Thanks.

38. Valerie

I made this today. I have had a serious dislike for Velveeta and its co-horts as plastic cheese. I am a home cheesemaker. I couldn’t help myself and made this with 1/3 of it is my Swiss, 1/3 of my Gouda, and 1/3 of my mild Cheddar. Other than that I followed the ingredients and steps as listed. AWESOMENESS!! I am so makng mac and cheese with it tomorrow. The melt-liciousness flaver is creamy perfection. Thank you for showing me how to use my own cheese to get such results while preserving the integrity of ingredients.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Exactly my reaction, Valerie – you can choose your own cheeses, and turn them wonderfully “melty.” I made grilled cheese with my faux Velveeta today – sooooo, smooth… Enjoy! PJH

1. Susan Reid

Jane, those two ingredients are doing completely different things. The gelatin is the one ingredient in this formula that’s responsible for the melting quality of the final product, and if you make the recipe without it, you’ll likely end up with something gritty that won’t set up to be sliceable. Susan

39. gailmcgaffigan

DIY Velveeta grilled patty melt on KAF Roasted Apple Bread w/homemade BBQ sauce = Harvestburger = bliss!

That sounds SINFULLY delicious, I’m going to have to right that combination down! Great work and thanks so much for sharing! Jocelyn@KAF

40. Christine

I tried following this recipe (using baker’s special dry milk and mild cheddar cheese that I had just shredded, and it looked like it turned out fine. However, when I tried to melt it in the microwave, it got all stringy and separated. Can this not be microwaved like velveeta?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Christine, your question made me think – is this “clone” microwaveable? I just went into the kitchen to try it with a new batch of cheese I made yesterday. In my microwave, a 1-ounce chunk microwaved for 12 seconds on full power melted smooth, and didn’t separate. When I scooped it up it had strings (like melted mozzarella on pizza will have strings when you cut it and take a bite), but when I set the spoon back down the cheese melted into itself again – not stringy. Sorry, not sure what could have happened for you – all I can suggest is microwaving it more briefly? It really does melt incredibly quickly. Good luck – PJH

2. Christine

Thank you for the ideas. Unfortunately, it needs to be melted further than you describe (like velveeta can be) for my family recipe. It needs to melt far enough that salsa mixes in completely. I microwaved it for a total of about 10 minutes on half power, stirring and checking if it was done frequently. This is the same time velveeta requires.

3. PJ Hamel, post author

Wow, Christine – that’s a long time! I stirred/melted together salsa with this cheese just this past weekend, to make dip. Took maybe 90 seconds in the microwave, full power? If you have any left, try it again with a much-reduced time, OK? PJH

41. Duan O. White

I love my Mom’s lasagna. It is my favorite lasagna. Secret ingredient? Velveeta! You’re welcome 🙂

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Have to admit I’ve never tried Velveeta in lasagna – but definitely on my bucket list! Thank you! 🙂 PJH

42. blueskylad

Again King Arthur meets the needs of the people! I grew up on Velveeta and it’s many uses. Now this recipe can be made anytime when you have to have that creamy cheese goodness. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.

You’re very welcome and we are so happy to revive some of those wonderful childhood memories (it is amazing what a familiar flavor can call to mind)! I hope you have many more memories made with the new and improved Velveeta to inspire them! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Shanan, once it’s mixed you can do whatever you like with it: pour it onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper, into a bottle, whatever. It’ll set up and be semi-firm within a couple of minutes, and sure, you could use it for dip at that point, without letting it become firmer in the fridge. PJH

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Queso blanco is a mild cheese, so any of those would work. The pepperjack, of course, would add hot pepper, which is fine if that’s what you want. Enjoy – PJH

43. Margi

My husband loved Velveeta. He was invited to a wine and cheese tasting party (long before me) and when the host asked if there was any special cheese he could recomment he replied Velveeta. Didn’t go over very well but he got a great laugh out of it.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Margi, I’m sure he did. There are indeed those of us who still have a certain fondness for Velveeta and Spam. Now, if I could find a homemade Spam recipe… 🙂 PJH

44. IthacaNancy

I made cheese at home, and I’ve been upgrading the aging setting from just my cool damp basement (where bugs and mice have sometimes found my cheeses) to an electric beverage cooler where the cheeses can be held at a more steady slightly cooler temperature. In preparing some of the cheeses which had suffered from the inadequate aging setting, I had to remove some of the exterior bits in order to get rid of molds and then I took off some perfectly good bits as I smoothed off the cheeses to make them nicer to rewax. I did many cheeses, and ended up with over two pounds of nice shavings. Tonight I used the recipe from Modernist Cuisine sited above (it uses sodium citrate instead of gelatin and powdered milk) and I made a porter cheddar cheese spread (which I suspect will turn into melty slices as it cools and solidifies. I melted one pound of cheese shavings in 1/2 a cup of Porter (dark beer) with a heaping tablespoon (14 grams) of sodium citrate, stirring continually. It came out very nice. I made a panini with a mild sourdough bread, mayo, romaine lettuce, sliced chicken and the porter cheese spread. It was quite nice.

We are having an open house to celebrate the opening of our newest vacation rental space on Thursday, and I think I’ll try making little fried polenta squares with a dollop of this porter cheddar and maybe with a bit of minced pancetta . . . it’s fun to have so many good foods to experiment with. Thanks for the little nudges that get us thinking, and the good ideas you have to share!

I admire your skills IthicaNancy! The porter cheese spread sounds divine! Thank you for sharing. Elisabeth@KAF

45. Baker_Bruce

I will have to try this. I am a “closet” Velveeta lover. Brings back so many memories of growing up in the 50’s and 60’s when this was all my mom would buy. I almost have my sister ready to buy some the next time we go shopping. My secret Velveeta favorite (which I would never tell anyone I love) is a peanut butter sandwich with Velveeta slices in it. Delicious!

46. Sally

I’m also a long time Velveeta user. It forms the base of my home made mac and cheese. I’ve made the homemade version before also. I can vouch that it’s way easy to make and you can add the cheeses your wish to it…not just Cheddar. I have had it go bad in the fridge too. It definitely has a shelf life, which, when you think about isn’t a bad thing. I know it doesn’t have all the preservatives as the store bought stuff and I’m (very) good with that. Next time I make it, I’ll just have to remember to use it up faster! Make it. It couldn’t be easier!

47. Daniel

While Velveeta does contain alginate as an emuslifier, it also contains sodium citrate (and sodium phosphate (some emulsifying but also a preservative)), which acts as a milk protein-specific emulsifier which creates an emulsion stable across most temperatures and pH’s. Long story short, combining any liquid (beer, milk, water, etc.) with the cheese(s) of your choice in equal proportions by weight, approximately 40 grams of sodium citrate per kilogram of cheese used (if you’re using this much though you’re making way too much velveeta), melt at low heat and then cool in a non-stick container of your choosing. The emulsification is so good that even if the velveeta dries out in the fridge, mere heating in the microwave will completely revive it, keeping it silky smooth throughout. Sodium citrate can be found quite cheaply and easily: http://www.amazon.com/WillPowder-Sodium-Citrate-16-Ounce-Jar/dp/B00250Y9Y6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423522051&sr=8-2&keywords=sodium+citrate For those of you worried about food additives, sodium citrate is a simple salt, composed of a sodium ion and a citrate molecular ion, the deprotonated version of citric acid, a very common element of the Krebs cycle, and not at all harmful. One other reason to not use the alginate is that it may inhibit flavor release (roux has terrible flavor release, but the small amount of sodium citrate contributes little to the overall masking of flavor). If you are worried about viscosity, xanthan gum will do in a pinch (but a very small pinch as it will contribute significantly to viscosity. An immersion blender will make all of this go much smoother.

48. Karen

I was so excited to see this recipe last night, I couldn’t wait to try it. Alas, I had no instant milk on hand. Well I did have plenty of evaporated milk, so decided to use that in place of the water and powdered milk. It was delicious!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Oh, so glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing, I’m sure others can use this tip, Karen. PJH

49. Kristen Frederickson

I’ve been obsessing over my macaroni and cheese for decades! Have gradually switched to a pasta called “conchiglie,” which are shell-shaped and REALLY scoop up the sauce. But grainy sauces prevailed. I live in London, where Velveeta is not an option, but have tried cheese “products” like Vache Qui Rit, and Dairylea, for meltiness. Added to real cheese like Taleggio, it has turned out pretty well. But now it’s time for home-made Velveeta, thanks to you, and I think with the conchiglie, it will be the ultimate! Will report.

50. ChrisfromCT

question from a curious reader ~ why not just buy Velveeta instead of making a look-alike~taste-alike?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Chris, because you can make your own flavor – for instance, extra-sharp cheddar with a touch of mustard. Or jalapeno jack. What you’re doing is taking your favorite cheese, and turning it wonderfully melty. Besides, if you just love doing foodie-type things, it’s as much the journey as the destination. There’s something wonderfully exciting/fulfilling about making your own… 🙂 PJH

51. ChrisfromCT

PJ Hamel said “Besides, if you just love doing foodie-type things, it’s as much the journey as the destination”

To that I say “so true”

52. KathySfromColorado

Wow, this sounds terrific. After reading the comments, I want to try a version with liquid milk rather than the powder, since I don’t keep the powder on hand. Wondering about trying it on the stovetop and whisking the gelatin into hot milk until dissolved, then adding the shredded cheese until melted. Then will pour into a mold to set.

We didn’t try this approach to making the “pudding” and hope you’ll report your results again here. Happy Baking – Irene@KAF

2. KathySfromColorado

The stove-top method worked beautifully, once I learned (the hard way!) to mix the gelatin into cold milk first and then heat the mixture. It didn’t take too long on my induction cook top. I made a little grilled cheese sandwich to test it out this morning (on homemade KAF bread, of course), and it melted beautifully. I used whole raw milk, part sharp cheddar, and part mozzarella because that’s what I had on hand. Can’t wait to try mac n cheese now!

53. deb

Hi,
    I read a post earlier from Claudia, who lives in Cuenca, Ecuador – which happens to be where we live now also! It made me wonder if the recipe needed to be changed at all because of the high altitude here? (8200 feet) Often, recipes do need to be altered…
    Does anyone happen to know the answer to that?? Many thanks!

deb

54. Skid

I enjoyed all of the stories everyone provided, especially those “long-ago” tales of childhood. I didn’t have Velveeta when I was growing up: my dad was from Wisconsin, and said that “that stuff wasn’t *real* cheese!”

Fast forward more than a few years, and I was introduced to another Queso dip – one that used a block of Velveeta, and a can of chili (best without beans, I believe!). I literally used up a chafing dish serving this, for everything from football parties to more formal gatherings. It was (and remains) universally popular! I’ve tried the version that uses the Rotel sauce, but to me, it lacks the depth and richness of the chili-based version.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Thanks for the tip – I tried the Rotel version, and thought it was boring. I’m definitely going to try with a can of chili instead – it sounds totally addictive! PJH

55. sfreshwater

I well remember Velveeta cheese as a kid. It was the go to cheese. Taco Bell has a great Quesorito out that this would be perfect in. I’m going to try it as soon as I can. Used to love Velveeta my mom put in her mac and cheese with crushed crackers on top and put in the oven, now I’m hungry.

56. Katharine Wilkins

Question: I just made the DIY Velveeta. Totally easy! After it chills, I’ll make mac and cheese. One question though – I do all possible measurement by weight, but I don’t know what the weight of the 6 T of your Baker’s Special Dry Milk would be. Can someone tell me that for the future?

1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) of the dry milk weighs 1 1/4 ounces. Six tablespoons will weigh 2 ounces. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

57. carla

I have read that store bought shredded cheese is tossed with flour to keep it from sticking together so if you are watching your gluten intake you might want to shred your own.

58. David M.G.

i use velveta in dressings,no homework dips,avacodo dips Mac a cheese as an award winning chef this was a stable at the family restaurant

1. PJ Hamel, post author

No, Karen, I don’t think that would work, as they work somewhat differently. That said, I haven’t tried it – so if you do, let us know how it goes, OK? PJH

59. Phanes

Just some of the cheese loaf and Rotel? I highly recommend tossing some butter in the pan and sizzling some chili spices, including chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, maybe some smoked paprika or hot Hungarian paprika; add finely diced onions and hot peppers of your choice (I use fresh cayenne), as well as some finely diced fresh tomatoes. Add milk and some of the cheese loaf. I thicken to my preference with a combination of other shredded cheeses (monterey jack, asadero, queso quesadilla, colby, smoked swiss, etc…) when I use actual Velveeta.

Have some crispy-crumbled bacon ready on the side. Have some roughly chopped cilantro, too. On your serving of queso dip, sprinkle some of those with diced tomato.

For a meaty topping, I brown hamburger, and more onions, peppers & tomatoes; don’t drain the fat unless you just want to. Simmer the whole combination in some beef broth and vegetable broth for about three hours, but don’t add salt until later because it might not be needed. Turn up the heat to cook away the liquid. Taste to make sure the salt content is good, and you’re done. Put a generous heap of that on top of your serving of queso, as well as some finely diced raw tomatoes.

I can make myself sick on that; it tastes so good!

60. Krista

I’m ashamed to admit this- but I use Velveeta in my Mac and cheese.

When people tell me its’ the best cheesy mac they’ve ever had, it lights up my heart… until they ask what’s in it.. lol

I use a whole loaf of Velveeta and 3lbs of either the seriously sharp cheddar by Cabot or the Adams Special reserve cheddar that’s in red wax.

I first saute 1 full stick of butter with 3 large tbsp of minced garlic. Then I add 2 cups of heavy cream and allow it to simmer. Then I add the cut up Velveeta and then shortly add the cheddar. It takes a while on consistently adding a little cream to the mix while stirring.. but it turns into this beautiful fluffy mixture that I quickly add my hot boiled noodles to and stir the hell out of it. I bake half and leave the other half just fresh off the stove top. It’s always gone, no matter how much I make – and I’ve made 50 lbs of this for a catering event.

61. PJ

Velveeta Rocks and I love it. However, I love trying new cooking adventures even more! Thanks PJ for sharing this lovely recipe that I will be trying in the near future. Love your blog.

Sincerely,
    PJ

62. Lisle Kin

The recipe I use calls for Whole Milk Powder, not non-fat milk powder. I’ve read comments that the non-fat powder leaves an off taste. Try is using Whole Milk Powder!
    I’ve made it with mild colby, sharp cheddar, and jalapeno-jack cheeses; all were very good.

63. Meg

My Oma was enamoured with the meltiness of Velveeta and would “hide” it in her Mac and cheese. She blended it with high quality cheeses and overall something in that stuff kept it all gooey.

64. Vince Nazelrod

The original Velveeta ad said it was “colby, swiss, and cheddar blended all together”, maybe some more experimenting is in order.

65. Mary Hunt

I secretly love Velveeta. It throws me back to my early childhood when my school lunch every day was a cheese sandwich—and I am not kidding about this—made with white bread, mayonnaise and a slice of Velveeta. Sounds gross, I know, but it is still my secret guilty pleasure. Cannot wait to make this myself just because … I c can!

We haven’t tried that Jan, but if you’re a buttermilk lover and want to add this flavor to your cheese, go ahead and give it a try. You can use the same amount (6 tablespoons). Fingers crossed for tasty results! Kye@KAF

66. Bridgid

Someone commented about Velveeta being cheap. The last time I looked at the price (earlier this year-they came out with pre wrapped individual slices- my son brought it to my attention.) Here in NY a pound block is about $7.00.

So now I want to make it with a medley of cheeses! Thank you KAF!!!

This question was asked earlier Margs, and PJ responded by saying “Haven’t tried it, but I suppose it could. It might lose its meltability, since the liquids will crystallize in the freezer; in other words, you might find it becomes grainy. Rather than freeze, I think I’d make a smaller amount, just what I need at the time. How does that sound? PJH”. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

67. Marge Gritz

Okay, I’m not ashamed to admit using Velveeta in some sauces, dips, etc., though not often. We live a long ways from all except one grocery store (approx. 2-4 hour drive one way over several passes that are snowy in the winter). Prices for the melty stuff locally are steep (close to $7 per smaller 1 lb. loaf). I don’t care for all the saltiness, and other questionable ingredients in the commercial stuff, and look forward to trying this out. First time it will be per recipe probably using a Tillamook cheddar. After that if it comes out good I see Gouda, maybe some jack or other cheeses. I bet some smoked Gouda in this would make a lovely melty cheese over a Chili Relleno casserole. I printed this out just to make sure I’ve got it. Got the Vitamix so I’m sure it will blend. Cleaning out the blender after may be the hardest part of the recipe.

68. Martha Hagelin

You’ve no idea how glad I was to find this article! I live in a very rural area, almost 25 minutes from the nearest grocery store. Usually, when the urge hits to make something with Velveeta, I have none and a thirty-mile round trip to the grocery store just to purchase one ingredient isn’t budget friendly. This recipe sounds like a winner!! Thank you!

69. Nancy

When I was a teenager, I was snooty about Velveeta. Really, I was a terrible prig. Anyway, my grandpa, told me about much the ladies on the ranches where he grew up loved Velveeta. I demanded to know what anyone could possibly like about it and he replied, “Well, it’s creamy and smooth and delicious. But the main thing was they didn’t have to make it themselves.”

Kinda put things in perspective. Happy to say I am now a big fan and a food prig no more.

70. Lynne

I have a Velvet fudge recipe that I should try with this cheese mix. If you’d like a copy, let me know. It’s chocolaty and creamy — I even add walnuts.

Now that’s an idea, Lynne…Fudge made with velveeta (or something velveeta like)?? Is that what you’re getting at? Mollie@KAF

71. Dale

I’m surprised that pro chefs don’t use what Cooks Country mentioned in an episode – Land O Lakes Supermelt cheese (their episode on making cheese enchiladas).

Then there’s the surprisingly tasty “govment” cheese – blocks of American cheese given away in food programs. That stuff made seriously tasty grilled cheese and Mac and cheese. Our grade school cafeteria used to get it in and the food made from it sure beat those dry bread with pink greasy meat lunch meat sandwiches! Talk about memories!

1. Jeri Ellis

I remember that cheese and boy was it good. There was also some meat in a can called park n gravy. It was so good!

72. Gwynedd

Another chef secret: believe it or not, “Government Cheese” is prized for superior melting properties. It’s actually made by Land O’ Lakes to government specs. It’s Land O Lakes American Extra Melt American Process Cheese.

73. MA Faeth

My son is a cheese expert and former fromager. When he comes to visit, I unwrap the block of Velveeta that I keep hidden in the back of the fridge and make his very favorite garlic cheese grits. He just smiles and quips, “Everything has its place.” Gonna try making my own for next time!

74. Mama Taney

We made this last night for use in a Rotel dip tonight. It came together just fine, looked great tonight when we started making it, but as soon as the cheese started heating up it went weird.
    The dip looks like the water separated out pretty much. Tastes fine but otherwise totally unacceptable. I’m just glad that we didn’t have company over! Sadly, we’ll just stick with Velveeta from here on out.

Mama Taney, we’re sorry to hear this recipe didn’t work well in your dip, but do appreciate your feedback! Barb@KAF

75. Amy

Just. I love you, PJ….there is such a thing as “Velveeta shame” these days, but really, it’s so perfectly melty and delicious. 😍
    Can’t wait to make my own!

76. Bodynsoil

My family always ate Velveeta, I never did as I didn’t care for the texture. I had an urge to try it recently and still found it rather bland. I’m trying this recipe as the homemade variety sounds much better and allows you to choose your favorite cheddar.

77. Pearl

Came together nice but when I tried to heat it up, it separated and was grainy. Not sure what went wrong. Is the cheese measurement by weight or cups?

Pearl, the measurement of 16 oz referred to in the post is a weight measurement, and would be equivalent to roughly 4 cups of shredded cheese (rather than the 2 cups that are equivalent to 16 fluid ounces). Using less cheese than intended could certainly make a difference in the way the mixture melts. We’ve also found that heating it too quickly or at too hot of a temperature can sometimes lead to the kind of separation and graininess you describe. Mollie@KAF

2. M

When melting it, add in a couple of tablespoons of milk before melting to smooth it out. That’s usually what I need to do with this.
      True, this isn’t going exactly melt like the store stuff, but with the couple of tablespoons of milk, it balances it out so that it isn’t so grainy. Remember, it still contains the fat in the cheese that breaks down kind of clumpy. Or before you want to melt it, place it in the blender with the couple of tablespoons of milk to incorporate and then heat for about a minute and a half. In either sense, it should help it become a dip with little effort.

78. M

I have made this!! No one knew the difference! If you want spicy nacho, process Pepper Jack in place of half of the cheddar. No one could believe that it didn’t come from a can or that it wasn’t actually something that was store bought. Sure, it’s store bought…. you have to buy the stuff to make it at the store, but it’s such a simple recipe, I will NEVER buy that stuff again! I’ll make my own, thanks!

PS.- Think of other things to put in… ENDLESS possibilities!! Try the Nacho Cheese loaf as a dip for your homemade pretzel bites!