Pounds to cups: doing the apple math

Your apple pie recipe calls for “3 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced.”

But what if you have a bagful of apples, the result of your apple-picking expedition to the orchard, and want to prepare the equivalent of “3 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced” – without a scale?

Or the apple crisp recipe says, “6 cups chopped apples.” You’re on your way to the store – how many apples do you need to buy to end up with 6 chopped cups?

How do you translate the volume or weight of whole apples to that of prepared apples ahead of time – before you actually peel, core, chop or slice, and measure?

Here’s how –

DSC_5549C

Spoiler alert – if you don’t find research and math interesting, and want “just the facts, ma’am” – scroll to the bottom line at the end of this post.

You lose about 30% of an apple, by weight, when you peel and core it. This will vary somewhat, of course, depending on apple variety and juiciness; this isn’t exact science. But it’s a place to start.

A cup of chopped/sliced apples (again, this will vary slightly with apple variety/freshness and size of dice/slice) weighs about 3 1/2 ounces.

Notice I say ABOUT 3 1/2 ounces; obviously, the way you slice them, as well as the season (winter-storage apples weigh less than fresh apples) will make a difference. Don’t stress if your cup of apples weighs 3 ounces, or 4 ounces, OK?

Let’s start with a pound of apples. They lose about a third of their weight once they’re prepared. (My fellow test baker and trained chef, Susan Reid, points out that if I were a chef, I’d say that the “yield %” of apples is about 65%. Thanks, Susan!) So that original pound of apples becomes a generous 10 ounces of peeled, cored, chopped/sliced apples. Since a cup of prepared apples weighs about 3 1/2 ounces, 1 pound of whole apples translates to about 3 cups of prepared apples.

OK, now let’s start with a recipe calling for 8 cups sliced apples. A pound of apples will yield 3 cups; so for 8 cups prepared apples, you’ll need about 2 2/3 pounds whole apples (make it 2 3/4 pounds, if you’re at the supermarket weighing).

IMG_0765

I tried this math with different sizes of apples; large apples yield slightly more prepared apples per pound than small apples.

Which makes sense – the size of the apple core or peel doesn’t change much from small apple to large apple; so large apples yield slightly more “usable parts.”

One more thing. Does a cup of sliced apples weigh the same as a cup of chopped apples?

Depends on the size of the slice/size of the dice… but yeah, basically they weigh the same.

Bottom line: if you remember nothing else, stash this in your memory bank – a pound of whole apples will yield about 3 cups prepared apples.

IMG_8358

Starting there, you can do the easy math to figure out just how many apples you need for that blue ribbon apple pie!

comments

1. PJ Hamel, post author

You’ve very welcome, Cindy. Something that bugged me for years, and I finally decided to do something about it. 🙂 PJH

Deirdre, I would hope that the recipe would indicate what size apple is called for, since there can be a big difference between yield from a small apple and a large apple. Assuming a medium apple, I would say 1 medium apple yields about a cup of sliced or chopped apples, which will weight between 3 1/2 to 4 ounces. Barb@KAF

Ro Ro, we intentionally did this math based on the weight of the apples, rather than number, since the number of apples needed will depend a lot on how large they are. If possible, we’d recommend taking the weight of your apples. If that’s not possible, it may help to know that you’ll generally need 3-5 medium apples to get 1 lb. From there, the premise mentioned in the article, that 1 pound of whole apples translates to roughly 3 cups of prepared apples can help us make the conversions. If your apples are especially large, you might get more like 4-5 cups, while if they’re on the smaller side, you’ll probably land somewhere around 2-3 cups. Hope this helps and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

4. Diane Slocum

Help I’m making apple butter. Says 4# of apples. Is that 20 apples med size. But how many cups of apples. Never was good at math God bless you

Diane, it sounds like the “bottom line” we include at the end of the article may be of help. If 1 pound of whole apples results in about 3 cups of prepped apple, 4 pounds would be about 12 cups (or 3 quarts). Enjoy the apple butter! Mollie@KAF

1. Paul from Ohio

PJ those of us, like me, who never really dug math, SALUTES you for this invaluable simplification post relative this – Apple-what-am-I-going-to-make time!!!!! Heading to the store for apples today as a matter of fact! Perfect timing and brilliant blog – as always. A FAN! Thanks

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Paul, report back with what you make, OK? Always interested to hear what’s up in your kitchen! PJH

2. Dee Kaufman

Perhaps I am missing something? I didn’t see where your article says how many apples (give or take) are in a pound? If someone doesn’t have a scale, what is the average number of apples to make one pound? A friend offered me apples from an apple picking at an orchard this weekend. If I wanted to make the 8 cups of peeled and cored apples, how many actual apples (not in pounds) from her haul should I ask her to give me?

But I did find this extremely helpful and will log the information. Thank you very much for figuring this all out. It is appreciated.

Thanks

Dee

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Dee, there are so many variations – how big, how fresh, what variety (how juicy) – it’s hard to make this assessment. That said, I’ve found a typical medium Granny Smith weighs about 5 1/2 ounces, so – give or take, more or less – there are 3 apples per pound. Given a pound of apples (3 medium apples) yields about 3 cups prepared apples, you’d need 2 2/3 pounds or – in the case of those medium Granny Smiths – about 8 apples. That said – always ask for more. So I’d ask for 10 apples, OK? You can always just eat any leftovers. Hope this helps – PJH

3. Melissa

Thank you very much for this post. However, it brings home something I’ve thought for years: the metric system is SO much easier to manage!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Melissa, I usually do my weighing in grams, it’s true; very much easier to figure the math. But I believe most people still think in pounds and ounces, so that’s how I present the info. Thanks for your metric encouragement, though! PJH

1. PJ Hamel, post author

I do, Margo – so long as we can stick to algebra and geometry, and not get into trig and calculus! High school was WAY too long ago for that! PJH

4. Cathy

Thanks so much. This was very helpful. Next, could you give us tips on the different types of yeast? I always order KAF’s instant SAF yeast. I’m never sure how much I should use though when recipes specify different kinds. We appreciate you!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Cathy, use the same amount of active dry or instant, no matter the brand or type. If you’re talking cake (moist) yeast, that’s a different story… PJH

2. Bonnie

One cake of yeast-2 ounces raises 4 cups of flour as does I package of instant yeast or active dry-which contains 2 1/2 teaspoons

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Stacy, I hope you get as great a job as I’ve had when you “grow up” – I’ve been here going on 25 years, and couldn’t have asked for a better place to work. Loving your job means you’re happy when Monday comes around, and can hardly bear quitting at the end of the day. I’ve been very lucky – I wish the same for you! PJH

5. Vicki

Thank you so much PJ!. I’ve been looking at recipes and trying to figure out how many apples I would need, so this came at just the right time! I do have a question though…how much is in a bushel? I’m a city girl who now lives near the country and I’m trying to get up to speed on these things.

I do have to thank all of you at KAF. I learned how to bake through watching you guys and reading all the great material you publish. I don’t know where I would be without the information you share. I can trust that it is reliable.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Vicki, I found this online in a couple of places, including a university Web site, so I’ll assume it’s accurate: 1 bushel apples = 48 pounds = 126 medium apples. That’s a lot of apples! Thanks for asking, as I had no idea, either. And thanks so much for your kind words. We’re so glad you found us – we love encouraging and inspiring and just plain helping people to bake! 🙂 PJH

2. Helen Pierce

Yes, I agree with you, Vicki in your second paragraph. When I first discovered KAF flours and the wonderful recipes and instructions, I became an instant follower and promoter of KAF. I love your flours and I can rely on them for flavor and for doing what they’re supposed to do. I can also rely on the recipes that are so carefully written and explained. That’s what comes from having an employee owned company with dedicated workers. Thanks for all you do!

Thank you for your kind words, Helen! We are so grateful for our wonderful baking community! Barb@KAF

6. karen wall

Thank you so much for the info. I peeled 18# of apples for apple crisps and just eyed it. 1# apples = 3 cups,, 1to3 1to3 1to3 1to3, 123. Got it!!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Karen, you’ve got it indeed! Wow, 18 pounds of apples is a lot of peeling – bet you had a bunch of happy “customers” for that crisp! 🙂 PJH

7. L

Thanks for this helpful post. A question that has been bugging me for a while:
    If a recipe calls for “3 pounds apples, peeled, cored and sliced” should I assume that the measurement is for the prepared fruit? In other words, do I measure 3 pounds of apples and then peel, core and slice them or do I peel, core and slice a bunch of apples and then measure out three pounds worth?
    Does the answer change at all if the recipe is written for “3 pounds sliced apples” as opposed to “3 pounds apples, sliced?”

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Yes, start with 3 pounds of apples, then peel, core and slice them. And yes, the answer changes – 3 pounds of sliced apples is just that: 3 pounds of apple slices. It’s like the difference between 3 cups of sifted flour and 3 cups of flour, sifted. If the recipe writer puts the “action” before the noun (sifted flour, sliced apples), they mean that you do that first, then weigh or measure. Clear as mud? 🙂 PJH

8. Eddie3958

This is great. I have this saved so I can refer back to it. How would this relate to fresh peach’s?

Eddie

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Eddie, I suspect peaches weigh more per cup, as they’re much juicier; also, their skin probably weighs less if you slip it off via the “boil for 30 seconds” method. So unfortunately, too many variables to make a good comparison. But if you try it sometime, let us know, OK? PJH

9. waikikirie

You’re the best PJ…..This is something I always ponder. Thanks for taking the mystery out of baking apples….xoxoox

10. Brenda B.

That might be a challenge to find out what the ratio’s are for other fruits!!! Will this be added to Pinterest?

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Brenda,
      You can definitely pin the blog to your favorite Pinterest board. Just hover over the side margin and click on the Pinterest icon when it pops up. ~ MJ

11. Joanne

In most recipes calling for apples, it doesn’t effect the recipe much if you add “too” many apples!! I have always guessed on the “heavy handed” side. BTW, I also have a scale at home but in all produce departments there is a handy, dandy scale if you only wish to purchase just enough for the recipe!!

12. Marie

I am 69 years young and have been baking since I was NINE! I have never, ever seen a recipe calling for apples in pounds! Just today, I baked a cake which called for three cups of diced apples. I had Honey Crisp on hand and just one apple gave me three cups diced. The cake is delicious! I would be very careful when using pounds to equate to apples diced or even sliced!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

To each his own, Marie – some older recipes will call for pounds, so I thought this post would be helpful. BTW, that must have been one big Honey Crisp! They really are big this year, aren’t they? I was checking them out at the supermarket – I picked up one that weighed 3/4 of a pound! PJH

13. Gabriele

Thank you very much – this is a very interesting piece of information which I shall be using very often. I shall give my friends the the connection too.

We’re so glad you found this blog useful Gabriele and how kind of you to pass the information on to others! Thanks for sharing! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

14. Bonnie

Hi PJ — your post was really well timed, as my husband and I picked two half bushels of apples on Thursday, so we have plenty of apples to convert! Now let’s see how many pounds are in a half bushel…Thanks for the practical advice!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

24 pounds in a half bushel, Bonnie – or so says the government! Enjoy – I just made an apple crisp with Northern Spies that is absolutely TO DIE FOR. 🙂 PJH

15. Auntie Gin

Thank You! Many years ago, I came up with similar equivalents (I’m 72), but it was the time before computers, so typed it out and saved my copies inside an apple cookbook. Should have scanned it in years ago, but didn’t and finally lost my final copy. NOW, I can stop the guessing game (mostly by over buying). Will pass this along to all my APPLE family and friends. Also, thoroughly enjoy your blogs. Thanks again!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Ah, yes, those Royal manual days… I remember them well. I still have a bunch of hand-typed “cookbooks” from years ago. So glad we could replace your lost apple info., Auntie Gin – 🙂 PJH

16. Haleena Noland

I love that there’s a page like this! This page is something I think every woman needs in her kitchen! Thank you!

17. Efrain

Thank you so much I did not learn this in Culinary school. You are a blessing. You made my baking life easier.

18. Cyndie

Thanks for the more intelligible info. We pick our apples, so we go by bushel more than weight (which lends to the question “just how much does a worm weigh, now subtract that and the apple lost to cleansing”. I don’t m kW any tree that grows consistently sized apples, or any store that sells them by size. It is so much easier for me to just see the “use __ cups” in a recipe, and so seldom does any recipe say that.

19. marcialab

My biggest problem has been with recipes calling for a number of apples by their size, such as “3 medium apples”. Is there a standard or assumed weight for a medium Apple?

20. Genevieve

Because I now cook only for two, this is so very helpful. Today is apple butter day and I was unsure how many to prep for a very small slow cooker. Now, I know! Thank you for the assistance and for always being there for us!

21. Dale Ugel

Thanks for all your great tips. What are the best apples for pies? I know you like to mix them, and I do not have a problem with that, but with so many choices, where to begin?

This is such a subjective question. I prefer a mixture of tart, sweet, firm and soft. Grannies, honey crisp, cortland, macs, macoun, northern spy, there are so many! Finding some that are native to your area can be especially fun. Explore your options! Elisabeth@KAF

22. Linda

I cut up a bunch of apples for the recipe I have for crockpot applesauce. It’s calls for 10-12 medium apples. Not sure how many I used as I just took out of bags ad started chopping and coring. So I want to do it in cups and not sure how many would make a cup now they are chopped????

Would you have an estimate for me please???
    Thank you!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Well, apples vary incredibly in size. But I find that one medium apple (not small, not huge) makes about 1 cup chopped, so I think you’re safe starting there. Good luck — PJH

23. Bre

Thanks for this. I’m making an apple crisp that calls for 10 cups sliced apples & I was right on the money buying a 3# bag plus my 2 honeycrisp apples I have already.
    Cheers