Apple flavor, amped: You really shouldn't live without boiled cider.

Ever have a relationship so intense it’s hard to talk about? I find myself stumbling, searching for the right words to convince you to try one of my hands-down favorite ingredients ever. Most of the time I just bring a bottle of boiled cider on the road with me when traveling for the company, hand people a spoonful, and watch their eyes roll back in their heads. No words necessary. But you need to know how amazing this stuff is, so I have to try to tell you.

Better. It makes everything it touches taste better. ApplePieCheddarCrust3_900x600Cake. Icing. Meatloaf. Scones. Salad dressing. Pie. Of course, pieCinnamonAppleSauce_900wCaramels. Ice cream. Pork chops. Applesauce. Roasted butternut squash. Sweet rolls.

WWCiderDoughnutsBrussels sprouts. Doughnuts.

AppleBreadPudding_900x600Chili. Spiced Nuts. Bread Pudding.

CaramelAppleBiscCookies. Cream cheese. Biscuits. Gravy.

AppleTurnover3_900wBacon Jam. Crêpes. Barbecue mop. Pancakes. Oatmeal. Braised cabbage. Bread. Sweet potatoes. Fruitcake. Turnovers.

I’m blithering. Perhaps it would be better if I let one of you talk about it.

Caris, from our KAF Community, has this to say:

“Absolutely essential. This isn’t a knock-you-on-your-rear-end superbright Jolly Rancher-reminiscent green apple flavoring but rather a deep, husky-throated, sly smile of a background note. But what a background note! It’s thick and syrupy, about like maple syrup, with that sort of intensity. I use it in any apple dish I can, but it also proves valuable in apple cider and olive oil vinaigrettes – a tablespoon or so and a nip of honey puts a nice sweet-sour tang into the festivities. It also goes well in apple chutneys, apple drinks, whipped cream, pan sauces, or just about anywhere you’d use apple cider or apple-cider vinegar. A bottle will last a great while in the fridge because a little goes a long way. This one’s a total keeper.”

Can you make it yourself? Sure. It takes hours and a bit of attention, but it’s do-able. PJ has used her crock pot to reduce a gallon of cider to the right syrupy consistency. What you make at home won’t be as clear as what the Wood family makes. Want to see how they do it? Check out this video.

Like all the best relationships, this one lasts, takes on new meaning the more time you spend with it, and rarely if ever disappoints.

IMG_0676

Better. Everything you make with boiled cider will taste better. You’ll be drizzling the pure essence of VT greatness in the fall into your food.

Join the hundreds of people who rave about this wonderful ingredient on our site. You’ll see why one of them calls it “Liquid Magic.”

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Gail McGaffigan

In all the many comments on this site about this product, I never see one from anyone who had actually tried it. Well, here I am, and here’s my 2¢, which is more than I saved on this DIY.
    My gallon of cider yielded 6 oz. of lovely syrup. Cider runs about $5/gal. here, so that’s $13.30/pt., not counting my fuel cost, time, and the fact that it wasn’t all nice and clarified, like the product being offered here.
    Thanks for all your great blog posts, Susan. You, PJ, & MJ give so much here.

Gail
    P.S. – Grew up in NJ, in the Raritan Valley, and loved it!

Thanks so much for sharing Gail and for taking the time to put all that together! We hope you enjoyed some delicious apple baked goods for all that hard work! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

2. Susan Reid, post author

Hooray Gail, Jersey girl! I’m a Kinnelon High School grad. Spent my summers lifeguarding at Smoke Rise Beach. You’re so right about the hassle of making your own. I want my own evaporator!!! Susan

2. gaitedgirl

You want to talk to someone who’s tried it? I have. And let me tell you that I absolutely cannot (and WILL NOT) go without this product! I LOVE this stuff. The first time I tried it, I made their Apple Snickerdoodles. And they were the best apple cookies I’ve ever made. I added a small amount to my apple pie last year, since I was making it ahead and going to freeze it for use around the holidays. I wanted to make sure the apple flavor showed through, despite being in the freezer. And I really made a huge difference. If you’re making anything with apples, you NEED this in your pantry. I’ll be honest that I was hesitant about first using this product but I am SOLD. One of their best products, no doubt about it.

Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful ways you have really gotten the most out of this product! It is one of my “must-haves” as well and I just whipped up some delicious apple-raisin scones with it this weekend! Tis’ the apple-baking season! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

3. Shar

I agree with the previous comments. This is a great product and I’ve used it several times. I also really enjoy reading the blog postings before trying a new recipe. I can usually click on the recipe names in the header and go directly to the individual recipes referenced here. This doesn’t appear to be working today. I was able to find the Apple-Cinnamon Pull-Apart Rolls by searching separately, but just wanted to mention in case the intent is for this section to link to recipes. Thanks for all of the great recipes and fantastic products that you provide!

1. PJ Hamel

Shar, sorry about that – a little problem with the HTML, now fixed. You should be able to click on all those yummy recipes and go right to them! Thanks for pointing this out – PJH

4. Keri

I made banana bread muffins last night. WHY DIDN’T I THINK OF ADDING BOILED CIDER?! It was right there in my fridge! Argh, you’re right – it totally would have made them better. I now have Baker’s Remorse. Only one solution to this problem: I’ll just have to make another batch!

5. Ask Peg

Fabulous taste sensation! Both yours and my DIY version. With all the uses mentioned, we mustn’t forget to glaze roast or sautéed chicken and pork with it! Blows the mind!

6. 32kamaka

Where is that recipe for Apple snicker doodles? I just tried to search for it and couldn’t find it. Also is it a 2:1 ratio for regular cider to boiled cider?

Thanks.

1. PJ Hamel

Sad to say, we’ve never had a recipe for Apple Snickerdoodles on our site; sorry for the confusion. A gallon of cider boils down to about a cup of thick syrup, so the ratio is more like 16:1. If you don’t have boiled cider, try substituting frozen/thawed apple juice concentrate. It’s a better approximation than plain cider, but still not as good as boiled cider. Good luck – PJH

7. leslie gutierrez

I love this boiled cider I tried it last year and now won’t make anything Apple without it it takes everything you make and takes it over the top your pies and crisp have such a Apple taste it brings out the Apple flavor alittle goes along way I just got back from vermont and went crazy at mad Tom orchard so I have alot of pies and things to bake

The boiled cider is one of my favorites too, Leslie! I can’t make my pies anymore without it. Jon@KAF

8. Patricia McGuire

I want to make some apple muffins for work. Adding a bit of this to the batter would be nice. But how much should I add without overdoing it?

9. Shelly

DIY, I tried it. Gallon of cider $9.00, cooked all night to get the same consitency, not as much flavor or as thick, not to mention the cost of the electricity and clean up! Worth EVERY penny to buy this heavenly product! Thank you for taking the hassle out of it 🙂

1. PJ Hamel

Thanks for the “testimonial,” Shelly. I did the same thing; came to the same conclusion. When you count the electricity and the attention you have to pay it, plus the cost of buying cider, buying boiled cider totally makes sense. PJH

2. Susan Reid, post author

We’re Soooo with you, Shelly. And frankly, it makes me feel good to support my neighbors working so hard in the boiling house here in VT! Susan

10. jessica1911

Hi. Gaitedgirl mentions a recipe for Apple Snickerdoodles . . . but I can’t find it anywhere! They sound delicious. I found several recipes online, but none call for the boiled cider. Thanks!

1. PJ Hamel

Jessica, so far as I know, we’ve never had a recipe for Apple Snickerdoodles on our site. They do sound good, though! 🙂 PJH

1. PJ Hamel

Ah, thank you for the info. – it hasn’t made its way to our recipe site. Sounds delicious! PJH

11. lillabit2001

gaitedgirl said she made ‘their’ Apple Snickerdoodles–a recipe on the bottle or on the boiled cider maybe? They do sound good! Anything using boiled apple cider tastes good!
    I was unable to access the recipes for Caramel-Apple Mini Cakes, The Best Apple Pie, Apple Pancakes, and Autumn Apple Turnovers through the links at the beginning of the post.

1. Susan Reid, post author

The apple snickerdoodles came from the Baking Sheet, as SB says…The links embedded in the text are functional, that I know. Sorry for the inconvenience…Susan

12. Barrie Brown

Have you ever heard of “Coulis de pommes”? I buy some every time I visit the Verger Familial orchard in Fitch Bay, Magog Quebec Canada. It’s a boiled apple mash with local dark maple syrup. Definitely not recommended for diabetics but oh, so good! Good in pies but also as a pancake syrup!

I can’t say I have heard of that Barrie, but I am not sure how I have gone through life this long without tasting such deliciousness!!! I will certainly have to get my hands on some of that soon…thanks for sharing! Jocelyn@KAF

13. jlightfritz

I always have 2 bottles on hand during the Fall time. I have made it myself, but the time involved in reducing is way worth the cost of just purchasing! It truly enhances my baking. I’ve been using this product for YEARS! It’s an essential ingredient in my cupboards….

14. Rusty Jaggers

Can you give any guidance on using it on meat and vegetables? None of those ideas were “hot” links and I have no idea about proportion.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

1. PJ Hamel

I’d say “to taste,” Rusty, would be your best bet. If you have a typical sauté pan of veggies, drizzle a couple of teaspoons in at the end, then taste and add more if you like. For ham and roast pork, brush it on generously with about 10 minutes left in baking. Hope this helps – PJH

15. jeannine

as grateful as i am for all the links mentioned in this posting for the goodies using the boiled cider, i wish you posted ones for the brussel sprouts and portk chops and other savory items mentioned to!!! always looking for new ideas!

I will communicate your suggestion to our Blog Team Jeannine! Happy baking (and cooking!)! Elisabeth@KAF

16. Luke

This stuff is indeed wonderful, a stellar “secret ingredient” that does SO much for just about everything. Most recently, it delivered on one of the two featured cocktails at our wedding–the Kir Normandie, a wonderfully nuanced drink: 1 part boiled cider, 1 part applejack or Calvados, and 3-4 parts sparkling wine. Super simple, super delicious! Thanks so much for helping to keep this product out there!

Thanks for the cocktail recipe, Luke! This must be the new thing at weddings–my son had special cocktails at his wedding too! Barb@KAF

17. revson

Does Boiled Cider have a shelf life — for a bottle that hasn’t been opened? I bought a bottle about 2 years ago but haven’t opened it yet. Do you think it would still be good?

1. PJ Hamel

Yes, it should be fine. Open it up and taste; if it tastes good, it’s good. Then store it in the fridge. Enjoy – PJH

18. Suzanne

I just discovered how wonderful this product is and now my kitchen will not be without it! Even the simplest recipes are enhanced with a little boiled cider. I just made a dump cake for a Boss’ Day celebration at my mom’s office. 1 can of Comstock apple pie filling, 1 can of Comstock caramel apple pie filling, 1 Duncan Hines spice cake mix, butter, pecans, and of course, boiled cider. It was gone before lunch started!!

19. Jean

My husband loves apple pie and considers himself an expert apple pie taster. I have varied my apple pie recipe over the years (cut from a newspaper article that appealed to me) but he has never commented on the small changes I made until this year when I added boiled cider. He usually makes a suggestion such as less cinnamon or more apples. But this year he said “this is your best ever pie.”

The change I made was to switch the recipe’s applejack brandy to boiled cider – and what a difference it made. The filing is cooked somewhat before the pie is baked and uses both Granny Smith apples and another flavorful apple (this year it was Jonathan apples) in equal amounts. The filing is also finished off with cream and rests overnight before the crust is filled and baked. Made this pie for both Thanksgiving and Christmas. So glad I used the boiled cider – it is a hit!

20. A M Lombardi

Good Day. I’m trying to improve the taste of my Apple Pie Ice Cream. I just can’t get the flavor to “pop”. I add apple pie filling to the ice cream mix and add additional spices. Any suggestions?
    PS I’m also a Jersey Guy

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi there,
      You may want to try adding some boiled cider to your ice cream base, or creating a swirl with it. It’s really concentrated apple flavor, and could be just the pop you’re looking for. ~ MJ

21. Maegy

I tried boiling down cider, with similar results to everyone else’s. What makes my experience a little different was that I didn’t realize that the aroma would also attract the bees from a local beekeeper hives! They were all swarming outside my kitchen door and window screens! Had to leave the house through the front door! 😀

Start small. Sometimes a drizzle with add the extra punch you need. It may help to look at similar recipes to see how much is used (in general a tablespoon in baked goods) up to 1/4 cup. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

22. Kim Knemeyer

I do decorated cookies with royal icing. Would it work in royal icing and if so how much would you add to like a 2 lb. powdered sugar recipe? Also, if it did work, what flavor cookie do you think it would work best with? I love it in my caramels and pies and have been wanting to use it other ways.

It is not recommended to use the boiled cider as a flavoring for royal icing. It would just slide around the icing. Sorry! JoAnn@KAF

23. lynn

I made the apple cider syrup and it turned out delicious! It was a fun project and not too difficult. We found syrup bottles for our homemade product. I have used it in a homemade salad dressing with honey, cider syrup, apple cider vinegar and mayo – very much like white French dressing only better. I also made an apple pie for Thanksgiving – the addition of the cider syrup was absolutely fabulous. I used the recipe on the King Arthur site for Best Apple Pie – everyone loved it. If you have never tried it – get yourself a gallon of cider and put your heavy cast iron Dutch oven to work. It will cook down in a couple of hours to a deep, thick, amber hue. You will get at least 2-3 cups of syrup depending on how long you cook it and what color of syrup appeals to you. The longer is cooks – the deeper the flavor. I paid 2.99 for 1 gallon of fun.