Proof(er) positive: bread and chocolate (and yogurt, too)

Do you need an electric proof box? No.

But do you WANT an electric proof box?

Yes – if you bake bread or rolls, feed sourdough starter, make homemade yogurt, temper chocolate, or simply need a warm and cozy, temperature-controlled place for any kind of food to rest while it’s evolving.

Do I hear kimchee, anyone?

DSC_6239

Officially titled a bread proofer, the name doesn’t do justice to the full range of what this unprepossessing lidded box with built-in heating element can do.

Sure, it provides the perfect warm, moist environment for rising loaves, rolls, and even a 12″ pizza.

But it also holds 12 pint jars of soon-to-become-homemade-yogurt at their ideal fermentation temperature: 110°F.

Want to temper your dark chocolate, then keep it at a perfect 100°F while you dip truffles or coat caramels? Piece of cake.

How about the biggest issue of all: finding someplace warm on a cold winter day to set your sourdough starter during its feeding? Or even more of a challenge: someplace reliably warm, day and night, for the several days it takes to build your new from-scratch starter?

No problemo.

Hey, I haven’t even mentioned salt-rising bread, that notoriously finicky, ridiculously pungent, oh-so-wonderful American frontier bread. Hold the cornmeal starter at 95°F for 12 hours?

Put away the heating pad. We can do that.

I recently spent a week becoming best friends with this Brød & Taylor electric proof box. Let me show you what I did with it.

First up: bread.

DSC_6167

I have a roll recipe I’ve been wanting to try: Golden Pumpkin Dinner Rolls. Let’s see how that goes.

DSC_6125

Yeast dough loves to grow at 78°F, so let’s set the dial.

DSC_6148

Yeast bread also likes a humid environment, so I’ve set the water tray in the base of the unit, with a splash of water for moisture.

proof8

On the left, pumpkin dough freshly kneaded. On the right, growing nicely.

proof10

I could have made a single pan of rolls, but I wanted to show you how handy the proofer’s optional added shelf is. Simply put, the shelf doubles the proof box’s capacity.

So, one 9″ pan of rolls goes on the bottom shelf. Another pan of rolls on top.

Growing, growing… grown!

DSC_6169

And baked. And brushed with butter. Not too shabby, right?

proofer13

Speaking of the added shelf, see how you can proof a couple of loaves (bottom shelf) and a large pan of rolls (top shelf), all in one double-decker shot? That’s a TRIPLE batch of Sour Cream & Chive Potato Bread or Rolls. Sweet!

DSC_6212

Have you ever made your own Greek yogurt?

Yogurt is a simple matter of heating milk, adding a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt, then letting it sit at a specified temperature for several hours to become firm.

The “specified temperature” is the hard part; many people pour their yogurt into a thermos, or put it in a jar and wrap the jar in towels and put it in the oven with the light on, or…

DSC_6059

Here’s the easy way. Set your proof box temperature to 110°F.

proof2

The proofer will hold up to 12 pints of yogurt (top photo; I’ve added six to show you), though I’ve chosen to make just three.

Here are the bare-bones instructions, because I know you want them; for more specific directions, please read my post on homemade yogurt.

Stir 3 pints of milk together with 3/4 cup instant nonfat dry milk. Heat the mixture to 180°F. Cool to 110°F. Stir in 5 tablespoons yogurt with active cultures (I used Chobani Greek). Pour into pint jars.

Set the jars in the heated proofer. Lower the lid.

proof3

Five hours later – thickened yogurt (left). After a night in the fridge – thicker, standard-style yogurt.

proof9

And after draining overnight – ah, wonderful Greek yogurt, so thick you can stand a spoon in it.

No applause, please – I owe it all to Brød.

Next: Tempered chocolate.

What does that mean, anyway? Simply put, tempered chocolate is chocolate that’s been gently heated and just as gently cooled so that it retains its wonderful satiny glow when it’s set: no tan streaks, no dull gray “bloom.”

If you’re making candy, and you want it to look gorgeous, you have to temper your chocolate.

But isn’t that fussy? Like, you need a marble slab, and a thermometer, and you have to be SOOO careful?

DSC_6136

Not if you have a proof box – as these chocolate-covered Oreos will attest.

DSC_6109

I follow the instructions that come with Brød for this one. Set the temp. to 115°F.

proof4

Melt a bowl of chopped chocolate; I’m using chocolate chips. My fellow test baker Susan Reid insists on bar chocolate, since she feels the lecithin in the chips “messes with what tempering is really about.” But I’m just not that fussy. Take your choice.

It takes awhile for the chocolate to ever-so-gradually soften; probably 30 to 40 minutes. I go get caught up on email in the meantime.

I stir the soft chocolate until it melts. Stir in a couple of pieces of chocolate candy bar (I like Hershey’s Special Dark). Keep stirring until everything melts. The temperature of the chocolate gradually drops under 90°F.

proof5

Is it tempered (or “in temper,” as a chocolatier would say)?

Dip the back of a metal spoon in the chocolate. Set the spoon in the fridge for 2 minutes.

proof6

Does it retain its shine? On the left is the just-dipped spoon; on the right, after its 2-minute rest in the refrigerator.

While not as shiny as the original hot chocolate, it’s nicely satiny.

proof7

Good enough for dipping Oreos, wouldn’t you say?

Next, the big gorilla in the corner: sourdough.

I grab a jar of our King Arthur historic sourdough starter, the same “live dough” we send to customers wanting to make their own starter “from scratch.”

Feed it with flour and water, as directed. Put it in the proof box. Set the temperature to 78°F. I figure if the yeast in bread dough enjoys growing at 78°F, it should respond to that same temperature in sourdough starter.

DSC_6040

It does. Looks pretty happy after its first feeding, eh?

DSC_6083

And its second, and third…

Now, finally, what about that salt-rising bread?

As I said, it’s finicky. But I’m certain the proof box was key to my success when I first made this challenging loaf last year.

salt1

Here I’m making the bread’s cornmeal/milk starter. It needs to ferment overnight at temperatures between 90°F and 100°F. It was November, when my thermostat is set to 55°F at night.

Hmmm… Thanks to the proof box, the starter grew, the dough rose…

IMG_0189

…and the bread baked. Into a lovely, close-grained bread with tangy, cheddar-like flavor. PERFECT for toast. Read my post Classic American Salt-Rising Bread: A Tasty Journey Into the Past for the details.

So, what do you think – have I convinced you?

Over the years I’ve used all the usual “hot spots” – top of the water heater or fridge, over the floor register, in the oven with the light on, wrapped in towels with a heating pad…

But honestly, this proof box is so “set it and forget it,” I’ve fallen for it. Brod, you’ve got me: hook, line, and optional second shelf.

Readers, I highly recommend this tool. But I also know there are plenty of other ways to give your yogurt, rising bread, sourdough, chocolate – and kimchee! – the steady, gentle, 24-hour heat they need. Share your homemade hot spots in comments (below), OK?

And happy proofing!

P.S. A couple of my colleagues, Pete and Ben, made this GIF, and I couldn’t resist sharing it with you. Thanks, guys!

folding

comments

1. Kim

My newest favorite rising spot is under my under-cabinet lighting. The bulbs are halogen & produce enough heat to sustain a nice, warm termperature. I considered replacing the lights with something else, but when I discovered they work PERFECTLY for rising dough, I decided to keep them. I’ve also used my dryer after drying clothes – or, for a single loaf of a bread, I’ve used my microwave after reheating dinner.

1. Angela

I love that idea, I will have to give that a try for my sheet pans that won’t fit in the proofing box. If only I still had a wood stove like I used to for raising my breads near.

2. Kalisa

Amazing multi-use proofing box, yeah, yeah –

SOUR CREAM & CHIVE ROLLS. How is this the first time I’ve ever heard of these?

3. Cherie

I have an old oven in the basement; so old that it still has a continuous gas pilot light. The interior temperature of that oven with just the pilot light on is perfect for making yogurt and drying herbs. Never tried it for proofing dough, but I bet it would work just fine!

Before sticking your bread dough in the oven you might want to check the temperature with an oven thermometer. I wouldn’t recommend going over 78 degrees for proofing dough. Barb@KAF

4. Carl

So what’s your opinion on the “Proof” setting on ovens – my Kitchen Aid ovens have that setting and I’ve used it to proof doughs. I think they say it is set at 100 degrees, but I haven’t actually checked it….

We don’t generally recommend using those settings Carl as they often are much too warm for a proper timeline of proofing on your dough. I hope that helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

2. Joan

I also have a Kitchenaid oven and love the bread proofing setting (100F). I use it weekly to make my yogurt and also use it when making bread. After reading this post, I’m going to try using it for tempering chocolate. Sounds like the way to go!

Thanks for sharing, Joan! 100 degrees might be a bit too high a temperature for some breads, so watch carefully! Barb@KAF

This certainly would be an easier and much more reliable method than a heating pad, Peggy, although kudos to you for making good use of what you had on hand- how resourceful! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

Hello David-
      This particular model does not have an included timer setting. If you have any more questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-827-6836. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

5. Gesci

We lived in England for a few years and were fortunate enough to have an Aga cooker in our old farmhouse. Nestling a bowl of bread dough with a tea towel cover between the two cookplate lids was the perfect spot for rising- so perfect that since we’ve moved back to the States I’ve yet to find a satisfactory spot! Now I’m very tempted by this proofer box… particularly because I gave my sister my yogurt maker when we moved to England and haven’t replaced it since we came back! So many uses! Thank you!

It sounds like this proofer may be just what you are looking for Gesci! If you have any other questions about its uses, please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253 and we’d be happy to discuss this wonderful product with you. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

That’s what we usually recommend here as well Pam for those of us who aren’t lucky enough to have a proofer. Keep up the good work and happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

6. Tomoko

Sometimes, it’s hot here in Savannah, GA. It’s as hot as 80+ in the house, an humid too. Is it bad for raising dough? Why is it bad to raise the dough at higher temps? Are there an shortcuts to raising the dough as quickly as possible?

Hi Tomoko,
      You can raise your dough at over 80°F, but it will proof more quickly than the recipe calls for which will allow less time for flavor and structure development. so while you will achieve a similar rise, the texture and flavor of your loaf may somewhat suffer if you try to speed the process along too much. I hope that helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

7. Cynthia

I have had a B&T proofer for about six months, love it. Am now able to maintain constant temperatures for sourdough etc.

One thing I don’t think was mentioned above is that you are able to make lactose free yogurt in it, which is just so useful for me to make for my husband.

For a home bread maker it is ideal especially if you live in a cold climate.

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Cynthia, and also for that yogurt tip! Happy baking and yogurt making! Jocelyn@KAF

8. Steven R

I purchased this proofer last year and would never be without it. It improved all of my baking, yogurt, and cheese. I wasn’t aware of the second shelf, so that comes next.

Thanks for sharing your experience Steven! Our customers are our greatest resource to really help each other out with recommendations on what they have found works best for them once they get our products home and really start putting them to the test! Happy baking! Jocelyn@KAF

9. Dana

I set my oven at 200 degrees, turn it off and place 3-4 cups of hot boiling water into a closed oven. It provides a great environment for rising yeasted bread.

Thank you for sharing Dana. We often find that ovens will create an environment that is a bit too warm for ideal proofing, but if you have found a way to make yours work for you, that is wonderful! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

10. Pat Dibble

Somewhat confused by the chocolate tempering notes. If set to 115 degrees and then other chocolate is added to lower the temperature, do you still leave the proofing box set to 115? Coating truffles would be my primary use since I have a warming drawer that I use for bread proofing.

After adding the chocolate Pat, you would turn the temperature down to what you want to maintain you temper at, usually around 100°F as mentioned in the blog. I hope that helps and if you have any more questions, please feel free to contact our Baker’s Hotline at 1-855-371-2253 and we’d be happy to provide you with further assistance at that time. Happy Tempering! Jocelyn@KAF

11. Bonnie

I bought this about a year ago, and strangely never used it until the last month. What a mistake, it is awesome and don’t know what I ever did without it. The perfect place for feeding my sour dough starter, and raising dough, can’t wait to try the chocolate now for the holidays. It’s worth every penny

Thanks for sharing your experiences Bonnie! We love to hear feedback from our fellow bakers and for our customers to have all your input for consideration. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

12. Margy

Oh my gosh, another toy that I need/want. I’ve been making yogurt in my crock pot, tempering chocolate on my stove and with a heating pad, and running around my 120 year old leaky house chasing the best bread rising zone. Looks like I can do it all with one appliance. BTW, I checked out the manufacturers web site. They have lots of information, videos and recipes to be used with it. One question–does KAF sell the extra expansion rack? This may be my Christmas gift for myself.

Hi Margy- This really is a great product and we do sell the stacker shelf (Item #11660). I think this would be a lovely way for you to celebrate the Christmas holiday, as it is that gift that keeps on giving all kinds of delicious goodies all year round! Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

13. Angela

I’ve owned this proofing box for about 3 years. My only complaint is I wish it was bigger. It would be even better if it fit a half sheet pan. The rack has been really helpful too since they added it.

14. Sheree Slagle

I make our yogurt by the gallon, 4 qt jars at a time. (We have our own cow). After inoculating the milk with the yogurt starter, I just wrap each qt in a dish towel, and place them together in a cooler that just holds 5 quart jars. Cover with another dish towel, close the cooler lid, and in 6-8 hrs I have yogurt. Cost: $0, no electricity involved, using an old cooler that we already had. Just my little “green” contribution.

15. Amy

This sounds brilliant for all manner of fermented things, but it looks as though it might be a real energy hog, and I live somewhere where electricity is expensive. I have to (and hate to) ask: any specs on how much power it takes to run this? Maybe two hours for a dough raise wouldn’t be too bad, but I’d want to use this chiefly for yogurt and overnight starters.

The bread proofer is 200 W and there is a 240 V version available if you contact Brod and Taylor directly. Elisabeth@KAF

16. KathyTobby

I give my Brod & Taylor credit for my beginners luck in baking- that and the KAF bakers hotline. 😉 I bought the proofer about a year ago and I use it every time I bake bread and I consistently get good results. I have a built in warming drawer in my kitchen with humidity control but sadly no thermostat. I just don’t trust it completely and I fear it gets too warm. Also I hate that I have to open the drawer (which changes the temperature and humidity) to check on the dough. I still use my warming drawer when the Brod&Taylor is full, but the B&T gives me more consistent results and is much less nerve wracking to use because you can check the dough just by looking in the window. As crazy as it sounds, I even enjoy taking it out and building it and then later breaking it down and putting it away because the design is so well thought out. Like others my only compliant is the size. It would be nice if they sold flat edged sheets that could be lined with parchment and then one could easily slide the dough to the bakeware since the bakeware often doesn’t fit in the proofer. I am glad they designed an extra shelf though. I can’t wait to get the new rack for additional space which I plan to buy with my next order. I highly recommend a Brod & Taylor for anyone who is on the fence.

We are so pleased to hear of your success in bread baking Kathy. I love the versatility of this bread proofer. I would visit the Brod and Taylor website and make your suggestion for flat pans. I will also mention it to our Merchandising Team. I had to smile when you described how you enjoy building and breaking down the proofer and it may me think of the man behind the design named Michael Taylor. His mother n law from cold N. Dakota always complained about not having a warm place for her bread to rise. While on a visit, he created a prototype out of wood and other raw materials to shelter the rising bread. The box created quite a stir within his mother n law’s circle of baking friends. They all had to have one and he gradually “warmed” up to the idea of creating a proof box but this time, for real. Enjoy and think of that story Kathy. I know you will smile too. Elisabeth@KAF

I think you probably could Jan. Recipes suggest between 65-70 degrees F for 8-24 hours. Elisabeth@KAF

17. waikikirie

I have this proofer and LOVE it. We keep our house on the cooler side so it would take FOREVER for my dough to rise. Unfortunately, I’ve misplaced/lost the instructions/recipe book that comes with it. Is there any way I can get a copy??? Might just have to buy that extra shelf for my self.

You can find recipes and directions for the proofer on the Brod & Taylor website. Barb@KAF

18. OHBaker

I’ve had this proofer for a few years. In addition to all of the advantages already mentioned, let me add that another upside is not having to bother with plastic wrap on your bread dough. If you proof your dough on the counter it needs to be covered to avoid drying out (getting a skin) from air exposure. But the moist environment of the proofer means the dough stays soft without needing to be covered with plastic wrap. Highly recommend this proofer!!! And, I’m excited to try your pumpkin rolls.

19. RKolson

I got this proofer when it first came out a couple of years ago, and it has been unbelievable. Living in a large historic home always posed a problem with my favorite recipes due to drafts and temperature fluctuation with A/C or heat. My doughs come out perfect every time, as well as yogurt. I may go ahead and purchase a second one for the multiple ovens in my kitchen. I use reviews for all purchases, and the initial reviews were from a professional chef who baked at home, and other serious bakers, were spot on. Take the plunge and purchase it!

Thanks for your comments! I’m glad this proofer has proved to be a success! Barb@KAF

Mary, here are the internal dimensions of the proof box: 12 1/2″ x 15″ x 8 1/2″ high. I hope this helps! Barb@KAF

20. Cheryl Corney

Just a correction on your comment “No problemo”. If it was supposed to be Spanish, it would be “No hay problema.”

I use my oven, briefly warmed, light on, to proof my bread. I also put a large pan of very hot tap water on the shelf beside the bread which is covered with a towel. The dough usually rises in about 40 min. the first time, 30 min. the second time & about 30 min. in the pans. When ready to bake I remove the pan of water & towel, place the pans where I want them & turn the oven to 400 degrees. The loaves are done in 20 min.

21. Connie

I use my Zojirushi to make dough and then let it rise at room temp after shaping. How helpful will the proofing box be for this application? Thanks.

The Zo tends to heat the dough up nicely, so you may be fine allowing your loaf to rise at room temperature. Barb@KAF

22. Laura Gilger

I have this proofer, and can’t live without it! We live in a cold place, even in the summer it’s too cold to proof dough in the kitchen. BUT, now that I have a proofer, I can, and do, bake any time! And I bake sourdough… no problem. I love seeing the idea for the chocolate, thanks so much! I tried heating honey that needed warming (without cooking it), but it didn’t work, I think honey needs higher temps. The proofer folds flat, which is nice for when you aren’t using it.

23. Janet Haber

As a confirmed anti-unitasker, I am bewildered that anyone with a microwave oven would think of giving house-room to a special box for proofing yeast bread—even one that folds up for storage.

Yeast bread-in-progress seems to love the warm, moist atmosphere inside my microwave oven. I set a Pyrex baking dish with 2” sides on the floor of the microwave. Of course the oven is turned off. I fill the baking dish with boiling water, place a wire rack on top of the baking dish and set my bowl of yeast dough on top of that. Then I close the door of the microwave oven and wait for the dough to leap into action. With the help of nice, fresh KAF instant yeast, I rarely have to wait more than 30 minutes for the dough to double, becoming bubbly and fragrant.

I repeat this, with freshly boiled water, for the second rise, if my recipe calls for one.

We gave never had better, higher loaves—all with no extra expense.

Be sure to mop the inside of the microwave to remove the condensation at the end of the exercise.

Thanks for the great tip, Janet! I also use my microwave for a substitute proof box with great results. Just don’t turn on the microwave while your dough is in there! Barb@KAF

24. "vchapman394ever@verizon.net"

I am using my B&T proofing box all the time for my bread, cinna-buns, anything yeast. Now that’s it’s winter, my house temperature is set at 64ºF. Butter just won’t get soft at my room temperature. I don’t want to risk melting it in the microwave, so when a recipe calls for eggs, cream cheese, or butter at room temperature, I just pop them in my proofing box and set at 80ºF. In no time, they are soft enough to whip or spread and are ready to go. This is an essential tool for me in winter.

Great idea for bringing ingredients up to “room” temperature when your room isn’t quite warm enough. Thanks! Barb@KAF

25. Carol

I have made yogurt in a styrofoam shipping box we got medical supplies in. It holds 4 quarts nicely, I just heat my milk, inoculate it and put it in the box overnight. However, now that the kids grew up, that makes way too much yogurt for us. I do have a cute little yogurt maker for when I’m in the mood. Now I wonder if it could be used for proofing bread, I’d have to figure out how to lower the temp though. Otherwise, what about a food dehydrator? Or the dehydrator option on my large toaster oven? I’d have to double check temperatures though, they may be too hot.

Now I want to try for better ways to get my bread to rise. Mostly I’m using my bread machine for dough, then boiling some water and putting that in the microwave with a loaf or two. I don’t run the microwave, it just holds some heat and the humidity for the bread and keeps it out of drafts. In the summer, I can use the oven (off) with a container of hot water and things rise pretty well.

Now I have lots of ideas…. and I am still lusting after yet another cool tool for my kitchen! 🙂

Well Carol, it sounds like you certainly have found some of the craftiest home-made hot spots that sound like great options, but maybe you could spoil yourself this holiday and get this wonderfully versatile proofer as a treat to replace some of your many loved but I’m sure more laborious other chambers. Happy Baking! Jocelyn@KAF

26. Pinchofsalt

I purchased this proofer a couple of years ago. It is every bit as useful as PJ says. In fact, I just purchased a second shelf for it. The only thing I would change is to add a diagram (maybe on the underside of the lid) showing how to arrange the pieces when you are packing it up so the lid can latch. You really have to do it exactly right.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

You’re right about the diagram – there are instructions in the booklet, but they can be a bit tricky to follow. I try to leave mine put together all the time, and just fold it for storage without unlatching anything. It’s worth the potential hassle, though – really a useful tool. Thanks for connecting here – PJH

27. koozoo254

I make a lot of bread. However, after the initial rise, most of my breads are free-formed (i.e. without a bread pan). I see bread pans used in this article.

I would love to know if such a proofer could be used for free-form loaves? I suppose I can place the dough (once shaped) on parchment paper and then rise the loaves in the proofer. But I am wondering how easy it would be to remove the formed loaves and not disturb them. Any advice is welcome.

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI there,
      I think as long as you use something sturdy under the loaves, like a cutting board or a cookie sheet, you should be able to lift the breads out intact. ~MJ

28. Margy

Back again! Bought it. LOVE it. Has made a big difference in the rising of my bread, AND made fabulous yogurt (super thick and creamy, no graininess at all). Also got the extra shelf. For free-form loaves, just placed on parchment on a small sheet pan or on an upside down cake pan, then after rising, lift right off onto the baking surface (sheet pan or baking stone).

29. Nancy Vogel

I bought the proofer when it first came out and love it. This past summer I took it along when we visited my Mom( 400 miles away). I used the proofer,KA Gluten Free White Bread mix and the pan for GF breads. The bread was really light and beautifully shaped. I have also used the same pan with the proofer for my sourdough bread with excellent results; but I never thought of using the proofer for feeding my sourdough. I’m going to do that this afternoon. Thanks for the suggestions and the wonderful help from the Baker’s hotline. They are really prompt at replying.
    Nancy

Thanks for the review, Nancy! I’m glad to hear the Baker’s Hotline has been helpful to you and that the proofer is working well. Barb@KAF

30. Jessica

Will this really keep the chocolate at a certain temperature when dipping truffles or something? In these cases you have to keep the top open, so I don’t think the temperature would stay constant, would it?

1. Susan Reid

Jessica; the heat is from the bottom plate, so as long as your bowl a) has a big enough volume of chocolate in it (the more chocolate, the more stable the temperature) and b) sits on the warming plate, the proofer works quite well for this task. Susan

31. Jacqueline Buell

In the article where there are pics of 2 round pans of rolls it’s hard to see but how are the pans placed? Is there a water tray in there also. If I order the proofer do I need to order any extra pieces or is everything included?

One rack is included with the proofer, as well as the water tray. The stacking wire bread proofer shelf or second rack is available separately. In the blog, both racks are used to hold a 9″ round pan of rolls, offsetting them slightly so you can see the top of each pan when you look into the proofer from the top. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

The Stacking Wire Bread Proofer Shelf is a separate item that you can order for $26.95. It is very handy if you are making more than one loaf of bread or batch of buns at one time. It doubles the capacity of the proofer. Check it out on our website here. Kye@KAF

32. Karen

I received this proofer for Christmas & it is fantastic! I’ve been making bread every week and I honestly forgot how much better homemade bread is compared to store bought. The proofer works great & is easy to store. Can’t wait to temper chocolate with it.

33. Jennifer

For rising and proofing, I use the oven. I boil water in my kettle and place it in the oven with the lid off. The result is warmish and steamy. I never thought of turning on the light!

I only bake sourdough and haven’t found a great warm spot for my sponge, but I let it ferment overnight on the counter and it seems to work okay. Maybe I’ll try the microwave with a cup of fresh-boiled water … I’m a newbie, so any comments on my approach are welcome!

Jennifer, sourdough doesn’t need an extremely warm environment; 70 degrees is usually a good temperature for the starter, and around 76°F is a good dough temperature to aim for. Your method sounds great! If you boil water in the microwave be sure to insert a wooden spoon or heat resistant plastic spatula in with the cup of water. This breaks the surface tension and helps prevent the boiling water from suddenly exploding upward. Barb@KAF

34. Jan

I’ve got one and I love it. I bought it because I’m a full-time RVer and in the summer when the a/c is running, there is no draft-free place to let the dough rise unless I were to put it in my microwave/convection oven (the only oven I have). This lets me make bread year round without having to tie up the microwave/oven while the bread rises. I do wish the instructions were a little more specific with regard to temperature settings for different yeasts but I’ve pretty much figured out what works for me. I do however suggest that you glue to rubber feet in place as soon as you get it, I’ve lost 2 (really 3, but I found one) of them because they keep popping out.

I love to hear how folks in RVs make cooking and baking work! You have to be so creative, I am learning. The rubber discs popping out may be a design flaw. I will let our Merchandising Team know. Thanks and happy RVing! Elisabeth@KAF

35. Jen

I live in Florida where it is warm and humid most of the time. I’m interested in this but not sure if I really need it. I keep my ac at about 79/80 degrees which is perfect rising temp for sourdough. But I wanted your thoughts on if you really think it would improve my bulk rise. I use the Tartine method for the basic sourdough bread.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Jen,
      If you’re getting good rise, you probably don’t need to invest in the proofer right now. You’re in a humid area and your temperature range is just fine. That being said, we’re always happy to say “go ahead, treat yourself!”. 🙂 ~ MJ

36. Bobby

I am new at sourdough and just bought your sourdough crock and sourdough starter. I’ve been feeding my starter with lukewarm water (100-110°F), because my house is 68°s F, or lower. My starter has the consistency of thick, but not doughy pancake batter, it is bubbly, and looks like the pictures on your website of what it shold look like, but it isn’t rising, or is rising very little. What am I doing wrong. Shouldn’t it be rising?

While it should rise, Bobby, it’s a good sign that you are seeing any kind of activity, as this means that your starter is very much alive. It sounds possible that your fed starter may be a little heavier than intended, which can easily happen when measuring your flour by hand and can impede the rise. For best results, we recommend measuring your flour by weight whenever possible. If you do measure by volume, you’ll want to be sure to use the fluff, sprinkle and level method described here to achieve the relatively light cup of flour intended. For a more detailed walk through of sourdough maintenance, please visit our related blog article on the topic. Please also feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE with any additional questions. Mollie@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Laurie, I think 78°F would be just right; that’s the standard dough proofing temperature in professional bakeries. Good luck — PJH

37. Tom George

I purchased the B&T proofer, and am enjoying using it for baking. Am not so happy about it’s performance in the slow-cooker department, which I am very interested in. My first attempt was a failure, with the temperature never getting high enough. My plan is to cook a corned-beef, which I want to cook at a controlled temperature. (My commercial slow cooker is too hot, even on the low setting).

Today, as an experiment, I brought a heavy pot of plain water up to 190 degrees on the stove top, so that the proofer didn’t have to generate the heat in the first place, and then put it in the proofer, on slow-cook mode, set to 190. Set up a recording thermometer to monitor the temp, which proceeded to drop to 175 over the next half hour. I bumped the set temp up to the max, at 190, and the temperature did come up, but only to 178 degrees.

Is this the best I can expect from this unit, or do I have a faulty device?

Hi Tom, thanks for your question. There are a few important factors that will affect the temperature of the food in the Proofer. The first is covering the container/pot with a lid, as this will raise the temperature of the food inside the container. The second important note: make sure you have removed the rack from your Proofer; the pot must sit directly on the aluminum heating base plate (in the center) in order to reach full temperature.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly to consider is the material of the pot you’re using to heat your food in. B&T recommends using a pot that has some kind of conductive heat in it, such as aluminum. They report that the temperature settings are most accurate using a shiny, stainless steel pol with a thick base and flat bottom. (Avoid using a cast iron or enameled Dutch oven, as it will likely be about 10-15 degrees below the temperature at the highest setting.) One quick and easy tip: wrap your pot in aluminum foil. This will help conduct the heat better and allow the inside to reach the full temperature (even if it’s cast iron or a stoneware pot). Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

38. Joe

Just bought my Proof box and really does all it says and more. My sourdough in winter loves the box as well as the starter. When it comes to greek yogurt now, I make it in 4 qt ball jars and make custardy greek yogurt.
    I use only 2% milk too. I also bought the shelve unit so I can proof two boules at a time. It is fun to use and folds away neatly after use. I highly recommend the Brod and Taylor. By the way, their customer service is in Massachusetts and are great to call for questions.