Almond Flour Pizza Crust: thin, crispy + gluten-free

Whenever I talk to someone about being gluten-free, whether they themselves have given up gluten or they’re asking me about my gluten-free journey, pizza almost always comes up.

“Don’t you miss pizza?”

Well, yes. Of course I do! I miss that chewy, crusty, doughy pizza that I used to enjoy. You know, the kind with perfectly browned edges, and those little burnt, crispy air bubbles? My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Sadly, that particular kind of pizza is part of my past. But that doesn’t mean I still can’t enjoy a tasty slice of pizza from time to time!

Over the years I’ve had my fair share of restaurant pizza. While I love that I can actually find pizza when I’m out, it never lives up to the hype. I’ve found that if I’m craving gluten-free pizza, it’s a tastier bet to just make it at home.

And it’s surprisingly easy, too.

We have a few options when you’re considering making a gluten-free pizza at home. First is our Gluten-Free Pizza Mix. It’s awesome and tastes absolutely amazing. Next up is our yeasted gluten-free pizza crust recipe, which is equally delicious; it just takes a bit more time.

And finally, we have today’s brand new recipe – Almond Flour Pizza Crust!

almond-flour-pizza-crust-6This almond-based crust uses our blanched almond flour and a touch of coconut flour, and it’s SO good! What’s even better is that this pizza is yeast-free; we save some time in the kitchen, and it’s perfect for those with yeast sensitivities.

Oh, and this pizza is also super-duper healthy. It’s loaded with healthy fats from the almond and coconut flours; is low-carb, and fairly high in protein. Kind of perfect for those of us trying to eat healthier in the New Year (ahem… me!).

Now before we dive into the recipe, I just want to tell you a little bit about it. This isn’t the traditional doughy crust that you might be imagining, but it’s every bit as tasty. It’s a thin crust, ultra crispy, and holds up well to all kinds of toppings.

Today we’re taking it easy and just using sauce and cheese, but have some fun with your own favorites! Top it to your heart’s content and enjoy the wonderfulness of gluten-free pizza.

Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F.

almond-flour-pizza-crust-collage6In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the following:

2 1/4 cups almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon Italian Pesto Bread Dipping Blend or Italian herbs (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

almond-flour-pizza-crust-recipeIn a separate mixing bowl (or measuring cup), add:

3 large eggs
2 tablespoons olive oil

Beat together until frothy and fully combined.

almond-flour-pizza-crust-recipeAdd the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until dough forms.

almond-flour-pizza-crust-recipe

Shape the dough into a ball and transfer it to a parchment paper-lined work surface. Top with another piece of parchment paper and roll the dough 1/4″ thick. Remove the top piece of parchment paper and slide the crust onto a rimmed baking sheet.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until the edges have started to crisp and the crust has started to brown.

almond-flour-pizza-crust-recipeTop the partially baked crust with pizza sauce and cheese, and return it to the oven. Bake it for another 12 to 15 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the edges are lightly browned.

If you’re using other toppings, you’ll want to place them on top here as well before your second baking. Layer the sauce on the bottom, followed by the cheese and then the toppings. And if you want your cheese to be nice and browned, just broil the pizza for a few minutes once it’s finished  it’s second bake (but watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn!).

grain-free-pizza-crust-recipeLet the pizza cool for a few minutes (2 to 3 should be fine), and slice it with a pizza cutter.

grain-free-almond-flour-pizza-crust-recipeTop with just a sprinkle of grated cheese. Enjoy!!

almond-flour-pizza-crust-7And now, we’d love you to give this pizza your own spin!

Please bake, taste, and review our Almond Flour Pizza Crust recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Ashley Lombardo

What would happen if I used baking soda instead of baking powder? Apparently baking powder is not considered paleo? (I don’t care personally, but am asking for a friend.)

Ashley, baking soda is usually reserved for when there is an acidic ingredient in the recipe, which makes it react and encourages the leavening action. Since there’s nothing acidic in this recipe, it’s not the best time to use baking soda but you’re friend is welcome to give it a try using 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Good luck! Kye@KAF

2. Melissa Larios

Wayyyyyy to dry!! Add a few tablespoons of almond milk and it will soften up the dough!!! Also some garlic powder and parmesan for better taste!! 🙂

3. Darla

Sorry but the taste of the egg was very overpowering, too dry, just is not a pizza 🍕 lovers type of crust.

4. Julie

I enjoyed this recipe and it held up well, my only issue was I could clearly taste the egg in every bite. I did use quinoa flour instead of coconut flour. Would that make it taste egg-y?

Coconut flour does tend to absorb liquid more readily than quinoa flour, so it may have helped take up some of the egg flavor. You can try baking the crust for longer or try using golden flax meal blended with water to replace 1 or 2 of the eggs. (Full instructions here.) This might be just right to please your taste buds! Kye@KAF

5. Michale

This recipe didn’t work at all. I’ve seen several on the web and they are very similar in proportions, but none seem to produce a “dough” of any kind. Just dry flour.

Michale, we’ll admit that the texture of this crust is quite different from standard pizza crust. It’s not very dough-y in texture, but rather thin and crispy, more similar to a cracker. If you’re looking to make a gluten-free crust that’s more similar to wheat-based crusts, try our recipe for Gluten-Free Pizza Crust. You can always add 1/2 cup of almond flour to this recipe if you’d like to boost the flavor, nutrition, and browning of this crust. Kye@KAF

Good catch! We’ll work on updating the page asap. In the meantime, you can get a printable version by clicking on the link to the recipe itself and then “print recipe”. Then enjoy! Mollie@KAF

6. Elizabeth

I have been experimenting with variations of this and other GF crusts for a while. For those who find this recipe grainy, the size and freshness of the egg might make a difference. Also, adding a little “starch” such as potato flour or tapioca flour instead of the coconut flour could help. GF flours tend to absorb more moisture, so in some altitudes it can help to add an additional 1-2 tablespoons of water and then let the dough sit for 15-20 minutes to mature before rolling or pressing out. (note: the volume of three extra large eggs vrs. three small eggs can very by 1-2 tablespoons.)
    In principle an alternate pizza works best if the focus is on the toppings rather than the crust. Think of the crust as merely the thing that holds it together. For those who feel that the taste is bland, try adding more salt, garlic or herbs to the crust. Also add more toppings. What makes a homemade GF dairy-free pizza taste good to me is when it has enough salt and flavorful oil (rich olive oil or my new favorite, grape seed oil). I drizzle oil on the pan under the crust, over the crust before putting the toppings on, and on top of everything after it is baked. When a pizza really needs amending: crush a clove of garlic and add to 2 tablespoons of olive or grape seed oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix and warm for 2 minutes (but don’t burn!). Drizzle over baked pizza.
    FYI the grainy/crumbly crust version might work well for a crust for a savory pie, or if flavored with vanilla or cinnamon for a sweet pie.

7. Mike smith

Just tried this recipe, pretty good. The texture reminded me of the jiffy pizza crust mix, and though the crust itself didn’t have a lot of taste, it wasn’t bland either. A fairly easy recipe to make.

8. ZL

Made this tonight – roaring success! Actually didn’t have enough almond flour so hard to use half hazelnut flour. I was a bit doubtful how it would turn out as the hazelnut flour has a strong flavour – but it was really good – gave it a sort of wholemeal flavour. Thanks for recipe 😀

9. MM

I wish to make a fruit pizza dessert for my grandson. He is battling brain cancer and using a ketogenic diet which we believe is keeping the cancer at bay. I am using almond flour, cocoanut flour a tiny bit of stevia ( or maybe some vanilla extract?) and 3 eggs, separated, and maybe some cream cheese. Whip cream for the sauce, strawberries and blueberries for the topping. Any suggestions would be helpful.