Our 2015 Recipe of the Year: good stuff

Chocolate chip cookies. Oatmeal cookies. Which is your favorite?

Sometimes it’s just so hard to choose, isn’t it? And that’s the situation we recently found ourselves in when selecting our 2015 King Arthur Flour Recipe of the Year.

Last year’s recipe was pretty much a slam dunk. The #1 searched recipe on our site, Classic 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread, has everything we value in a recipe.

It uses whole grains, which we believe are a nutritious part of a healthy diet. It’s bread – and yeast bread bakers have always been some of our most passionate customers.

And honestly, its number-one attribute? It tastes good.

DSC_5001

And makes a heckuva PB & J.

But never mind 2014 – that’s history. And it’s time to announce our 2015 Recipe of the Year:

DSC_3411

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

Soft and chewy, packed with chips, and taken beyond the standard chocolate chip cookie with the addition of nutty tasting oats, these are everything you dream of in a cookie.

But they’re more than just yummy. And that’s why we’ve crowned them our 2015 champ.

The recipe originally came from the Cookies for Kids’ Cancer non-profit, which King Arthur Flour supports.

IMG_8834

And it morphed into the signature cookie of our new Bake Truck

2015blog

…which travels the country handing out cookies and taking donations for local charities as part of our company-wide national Bake for Good effort. To date, after just one season, the truck has raised thousands of dollars for charities as diverse as the St. Bernard Soup Kitchen of Rockland, Maine, and Camp Kemo of Columbia, SC.

We love cookies – who doesn’t? But we’re just as passionate about baking and sharing, whatever form that takes. These delicious cookies are ideal for bake sales, potlucks, neighborly gifts, and sharing with friends and family, of course.

And for those two reasons – yumminess (with a touch of nutritious whole grains), and shareability – we crown these Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies our 2015 Recipe of the Year.

Cookies are always served (and received) with a smile. Who will you bake for today?

For more information on our Bake Truck, and where it’s headed next, visit our Bake for Good schedule.

And, if you’re baking gluten-free, we haven’t forgotten you – try the gluten-free version of our recipe of the year: Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.

comments

1. SAMCat12

The texture and flavor were great – but i have to say, this is more like chocolate chip cookie than an oatmeal cookie with chocolate chips – barely any oatmeal taste – I’m going to look to see if you have an Oatmeal cookie recipe that I can toss some chocolate chips in!

2. Tom pounds

This replaces our previous favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (also from King Arthur). They quickly disappear at potlucks and get-togethers. Every time I get asked for the recipe and I then direct them to your website. By the way, sometimes I add some almond extract with the vanilla because our family loves this combination. Thanks for a GREAT recipe!!

Tom, we’re so glad that this recipe was a hit with all the cookie-eaters in your life. The almond addition is a great suggestion and an easy way to add a more complex depth of flavor to these seemingly simple cookies. Happy cookie baking to you! –Kye@KAF

3. Tomasso Gustavo

I was wondering if anyone has come up with a modification of this recipe using steel cut (Irish) oats, either regular or quick cook? I have always liked the flavor and chewiness of steel cut oats.

1. Susan Reid

There’s no reason you couldn’t use steel cut, substituted equally by weight, but I’d recommend the quick-cooking version, as well as some chill time in the refrigerator to let them absorb some of the dough’s liquid. Chewy is fine, but hard….not so much! Susan

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Kathy. We have an altitude chart here online to help you with adjusting the leavening (it will decrease at your height). Also, try using extra large instead of large eggs, and adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to the dough. Looks like you’ll be using 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder for every teaspoon the recipe calls for. Susan

4. Cheryl Nelson

I have been baking this version of cookies for a couple of years, except the recipe calls for Peanut Butter too. I love everything about King Flour, so I will try this recipe too. I got the other one from Martha Stewart. The best Brownies recipe by far is your Holiday Bites recipe. I sell those by the pan full.

I love you guys…and please know, I love the work you do. I just wish you could teach classic here in Atlanta. I am taking up a new hobby….candy.

5. Bobbi Jo

I finally made the delicious 2015 cookie of the year chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe. I did substitutions for health reasons. 2 cups of King Arthur Unbleached all-purpose flour with 1 1/2 cups of King Arthur Sprouted Whole Wheat flour and 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal. I wasn’t sure what to add for more liquid, so subtracted from the flour instead. I also substituted 1 cup of light brown sugar with 1 cup of coconut sugar. They came out crunchy, opposite of what I’ve seem in the pictures. Still delicious though and not as sweet. I have substituted King Arthur’s Sprouted Whole Wheat flour in muffin recipes. For one cup of sprouted whole wheat flour I found adding a half of cup more of the liquid versus just a Tablespoon as I’ve read to do. The muffins raised more with the additional liquid and are moist. It’s wonderful to be able to have muffins again.

6. "John & Linda"

Why do some of your choc. chip cookie recipes require refrigeration before baking, and not others?
    Your responses to these inquiries are always very helpful!
    Thank you!
    John & Linda

John & Linda, we are glad to hear that you appreciate our advice from the Baker’s Hotline! Some of our cookie recipes call for chilling the dough before baking so that they do not spread as much while baking. Certain properties in dough (more sugar) can cause the cookies to spread more while in the oven, so we try to offset this by allowing the dough to set up in the fridge before baking. Even if a recipe does not call for chilling, it usually doesn’t hurt a cookie recipe to chill it for a bit before baking. Give it a try and see if you prefer the results. Good luck and happy baking! –Kye@KAF

1. Susan Reid

If a cookie recipe contains whole grains, the extra rest in the refrigerator gives the bran in the whole grain flour more time to absorb the liquid in the recipe. This softens the sharp edges of the bran, and gives you a cookie dough that spreads less, behaving more like a white flour recipe. Susan

7. Katherine S

Wonderful cookies. Made them for my sons – one of them can’t eat chocolate, so I put golden raisins in 1/2 of the cookies, and those were also delicious.

8. "John & Linda"

Can you substitute raisins for choc chips in this recipe, or must there be other adjustments? I’m a big fan of both, and this is a super recipe!
    john & linda