Hot off the presses: Sift, our new magazine, is here!

Less than a week ago, the printing presses were rolling, turning out the results of 9 months’ worth of writing, dreaming, photographing, and baking. Lots of baking. All so we could bring you our newest publication: a magazine called Sift. It weighs in at a little more than 3/4 pound – 108 pages altogether.

I just now got my advance copy from the printer. Even though I know every comma, period, photo, and story in it, I’m beside myself excited to see the final product in person. Even the paper is beautiful. I confess I pet the cover the same way I do the cat for a few minutes.

By the time you read this, you’ll be able to see it, too.

Sift magazineIs there anything more satisfying than picking up a magazine about something you love, that feels good in your hands, and will keep you company while you settle in for a virtual trip to other places, other kitchens, other flavors?

A good magazine is like dessert for your mind: a treat, something you’ll remember and come back to, something you look forward to spending time with.

We did our best to make sure Sift is all of those things, and maybe a little more. More than 60 recipes. Articles on collecting, and entertaining. A tour of four great cities and their iconic sandwiches…

roast-pork-sandwich

Philadelphia’s true sandwich darling isn’t what you might think: these days the locals are chowing down on roast pork sandwiches to die for.

…with stories and recipes from some of our favorite bloggers: Jim and Jena at Little Rusted Ladle, Joy, at Joy the Baker, Alexandra Stafford of  Alexandra’s Kitchen, and Farley Elliott in LA at OverOverUnder.

homeboy bakery baker

This is Marlin Marldondo, a Homeboy baker looking to move up through the ranks.

Features about baking and how it can change things in this world, the way it does at Homeboy Bakery. Check out this video if you want to know more about gang bangers changing their lives at this amazing place.

paska

Paska, with two different ways of decorating.

And a beautiful collection of Easter breads, with notes about their historical and cultural significance.

sugar-house-2

One of Julia Reed’s photos from the essay, “Fire, Steam and Sugar” page 68.

One of my favorite things about the magazine is the chance to share with you the incredible talents of King Arthur’s multi-media producer, Julia Reed, who not only takes photographs we all can envy, but writes a mean hand. She’s every editor’s dream.

You’ll learn a little more about some of our other employee-owners, too. From Brian Barthelmes, who illustrated the back cover, to Jeffrey Hamelman, a Certified Master Baker and head of our King Arthur Flour Bakery. He’s also a beekeeper, and we wanted to know more. In our article he talks about the beauty of bees…

ginger-honey-brioche…and shares his recipe for Ginger-Honey Brioche. How anything that light and tender can be just-enough sweet and spicy at the same time is a revelation.

There’s much, much more inside. We just wanted you to know it’s now available, from us, and at just about every major grocery store (look for it in the magazine section; it costs $12.95), bookstore, and newsstand.

In many ways, this magazine is our most sincere expression of all the things we love about the world of food and baking. We hope you’ll join us on the journey. Live. Breathe. Bake.

Sift.

Update and answers to your questions

You’ve been so incredibly enthusiastic in your response, we wanted to answer your most frequently asked questions right up front.

Subscriptions? Not at this time. This is a new business venture for us, and we want to see how it goes for now.

Digital  edition?  Again, not at this time, but if and when we do so, it would be on all major platforms.

Does my Baking Sheet subscription transfer over to Sift?  When The Baking Sheet retired, all current subscribers received either an email or a card with a code for King Arthur credit for the balance of their subscription plus a bit extra. That credit can most certainly be applied to buying a copy of Sift, and if you’ve lost the email, you can contact customer care and we’ll look up your code for you.

Why is it so expensive? Sift is filled with months of work and the creative talents of many writers, photographers, illustrators, designers, art directors, and even a chef and editor. The paper and binding are worthy of keeping on your coffee table or bookshelf. With more than 60 recipes, there’s more to bake and cook in this issue than I was able to fit into three combined issues of The Baking Sheet, which would have had a cover price of $14.85. Our quest is for quality, and for your satisfaction. We think once you have an issue in your hands, you’ll have both.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Cheryl Christensen

I can hardly wait to pick up my very own copy! It sounds wonderful! For many years, I had a subscription to a magazine that started out with no advertisements and now seems to be nothing but advertising with a few recipes sprinkled in. Sounds like there is very little if that in Sift and I hope it continues to be that way. I have tried online subscriptions, but they just aren’t the same as sitting back and thumbing through a beautiful book or well done magazine. Will head to the stores to find my very own copy tomorrow! (I get excited when a new KAF catalog arrives in the mail!!) once I get my copy, will drop back by with my comments.

1. Susan Reid, post author

You’ll know it when you put it in your hands; it feels as good as it reads 🙂 Susan

2. Carolyn

I live in Waterloo, Ontario. I looked at my local Sobeys and they didn’t have Sift. DO you have any suggestions where I could find it in either Kitchener, or Waterloo?
    Thank you!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Carolyn, you might try Target, or the Ontario Superstores; I know the Atlantic Superstores in the Maritimes picked it up. Susan

2. Tiena

Carolyn, I live in southern ontario and found Sift at Chapters and I find most of their stores carry the same selection of magazines. Found my copy in Ancaster. Tiena

3. Susan Reid, post author

Thanks, Tiena! It’s hard for us to know on this end who did and didn’t bring it in to their store, so information like this helps others in your province, too! Susan

4. Tiena

Susan, I’m just so happy that I can buy the magazine here. Saw it on the shelves of my local walmart today. It’s a gorgeous magazine, visually stunning with interesting articles and a nice variety of recipes. Personally I like the inclusion of gluten free recipes, it’s nice to have a reliable source for recipes when you want to bake for those who don’t eat wheat.

5. Tiena

Susan, I’m in Brantford, Ontario which is southern Onatrio. I’ve found your magazine in store in Ancaster and in Kitchener for any one in the area looking for the magazine. We’ve had a bit of nice weather and I took the opportunity to get out and about. Tiena

6. Susan Reid, post author

Terrific, Tiena. Thanks for helping others find it. I just got word that Ontario’s distributor asked for more copies, hooray! Susan

3. Joy Zbinden

The quality of the magazine is superb – nice paper, beautiful photography, easy to read. I really enjoyed the Baking Sheet precisely because it was all about the recipes which set it apart from the other cooking magazines. I started reading the Baking Sheet on the way into the house from the mail box. The other cooking magazines, I often didn’t bother to take them out of the plastic wrap. While Sift is superior to the other magazines, it pales in comparison to the Baking Sheet. There’s more non-recipe articles than I, personally, like. The balance between recipes and articles in the Baking Sheet was much more amenable to my taste.

4. William Luke CEC

As a High School Culinary Arts Chef Instructor, I enjoyed using the Baking Sheet as an adjunct to my course manual. I am excited to receive the magazine “Sift” and use it as a supplemental source. Your recipes are spot on and workable by my students. Best of everything for your new venture.

5. Marilyn E Hiltz

What a wonderful idea, can’t wait to get to the store for my copy. Have been a KAF devotee for as long as my mother who only bought that flour. Being a proud New Englander myself I did not know there was any other flour to use. Have the cook books and love the e-mails. Sit directly down when the catalog comes and work on my order. Have now introduced my daughter too. You are all wonderful and helpful when I need it. Can’t get the New England traditions out of my system. Thank you all.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Thank you so much, Marilyn! I love hearing our traditions in action, and to know they’re getting passed on! Susan

6. Jeannine Rakos

Will there be a gluten-free section? I have just found out that I am allergic to wheat, eggs and soy. I love your products and need to learn how to cook all over again. That’s not an easy thing to do at my age, I have been cooking for 50+ years. I will order this issue, to see what is in it and hope you will have a gluten-free section in this or future issues.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Yes, Jeanine, there are gluten-free recipes, and an index at the back where they’re all clearly labeled and easy to find. Susan

7. Dottie

It sure would be great if you also included lactose intolerant recipes.
    Soy milk works for our whole family.
    TIA from a longtime fan and user of your products. VBG

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Dottie. Our index is keyed to call out vegan and gluten-free recipes, as well as those featuring whole grains. As well you know, soy milk is a great place to start when you need to replace dairy. I think you’ll still find plenty to enjoy in this issue. Susan

8. Laura Richardson

The price for a single issue is shocking, and the table of contents shows way too much filler. For me, travel articles and general food-interest articles are wasted space. I look to KAF for baking recipes, ingredients, and tools. Good luck, but I’m obviously not part of your target audience.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Laura, the number of recipes in this issue is more than what I could put in 3 issues of The Baking Sheet, which would have had a collective cover price of close to $15. Please, if you see the magazine at the store, just pick it up and leaf through it. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Susan