Hot off the presses: Sift, our new magazine, is here!

Less than a week ago, the printing presses were rolling, turning out the results of 9 months’ worth of writing, dreaming, photographing, and baking. Lots of baking. All so we could bring you our newest publication: a magazine called Sift. It weighs in at a little more than 3/4 pound – 108 pages altogether.

I just now got my advance copy from the printer. Even though I know every comma, period, photo, and story in it, I’m beside myself excited to see the final product in person. Even the paper is beautiful. I confess I pet the cover the same way I do the cat for a few minutes.

By the time you read this, you’ll be able to see it, too.

Sift magazineIs there anything more satisfying than picking up a magazine about something you love, that feels good in your hands, and will keep you company while you settle in for a virtual trip to other places, other kitchens, other flavors?

A good magazine is like dessert for your mind: a treat, something you’ll remember and come back to, something you look forward to spending time with.

We did our best to make sure Sift is all of those things, and maybe a little more. More than 60 recipes. Articles on collecting, and entertaining. A tour of four great cities and their iconic sandwiches…

roast-pork-sandwich

Philadelphia’s true sandwich darling isn’t what you might think: these days the locals are chowing down on roast pork sandwiches to die for.

…with stories and recipes from some of our favorite bloggers: Jim and Jena at Little Rusted Ladle, Joy, at Joy the Baker, Alexandra Stafford of  Alexandra’s Kitchen, and Farley Elliott in LA at OverOverUnder.

homeboy bakery baker

This is Marlin Marldondo, a Homeboy baker looking to move up through the ranks.

Features about baking and how it can change things in this world, the way it does at Homeboy Bakery. Check out this video if you want to know more about gang bangers changing their lives at this amazing place.

paska

Paska, with two different ways of decorating.

And a beautiful collection of Easter breads, with notes about their historical and cultural significance.

sugar-house-2

One of Julia Reed’s photos from the essay, “Fire, Steam and Sugar” page 68.

One of my favorite things about the magazine is the chance to share with you the incredible talents of King Arthur’s multi-media producer, Julia Reed, who not only takes photographs we all can envy, but writes a mean hand. She’s every editor’s dream.

You’ll learn a little more about some of our other employee-owners, too. From Brian Barthelmes, who illustrated the back cover, to Jeffrey Hamelman, a Certified Master Baker and head of our King Arthur Flour Bakery. He’s also a beekeeper, and we wanted to know more. In our article he talks about the beauty of bees…

ginger-honey-brioche…and shares his recipe for Ginger-Honey Brioche. How anything that light and tender can be just-enough sweet and spicy at the same time is a revelation.

There’s much, much more inside. We just wanted you to know it’s now available, from us, and at just about every major grocery store (look for it in the magazine section; it costs $12.95), bookstore, and newsstand.

In many ways, this magazine is our most sincere expression of all the things we love about the world of food and baking. We hope you’ll join us on the journey. Live. Breathe. Bake.

Sift.

Update and answers to your questions

You’ve been so incredibly enthusiastic in your response, we wanted to answer your most frequently asked questions right up front.

Subscriptions? Not at this time. This is a new business venture for us, and we want to see how it goes for now.

Digital  edition?  Again, not at this time, but if and when we do so, it would be on all major platforms.

Does my Baking Sheet subscription transfer over to Sift?  When The Baking Sheet retired, all current subscribers received either an email or a card with a code for King Arthur credit for the balance of their subscription plus a bit extra. That credit can most certainly be applied to buying a copy of Sift, and if you’ve lost the email, you can contact customer care and we’ll look up your code for you.

Why is it so expensive? Sift is filled with months of work and the creative talents of many writers, photographers, illustrators, designers, art directors, and even a chef and editor. The paper and binding are worthy of keeping on your coffee table or bookshelf. With more than 60 recipes, there’s more to bake and cook in this issue than I was able to fit into three combined issues of The Baking Sheet, which would have had a cover price of $14.85. Our quest is for quality, and for your satisfaction. We think once you have an issue in your hands, you’ll have both.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Nancy

Just bought my copy of your new magazine “Sift”. Love it, the quality deserves the price! I also enjoyed the articles and see a few recipes I will try soon.

Thanks from Vancouver Island, B.C.

2. amarkel58

I’m liking my issue of Sift & understand the expense (particularly with the absence of ad space). Two questions: the intro for the chocolate babka recipe says the filling is made with two kinds of chocolate, but only cocoa powder is listed in the ingredients and in the directions; was the description inaccurate or is there something missing? And I’m curious about pumpernickel flour (mentioned in your “things we love” section)…if that’s what you get when you grind a whole rye berry, what does regular rye flour come from, a specific part of the berry? (I got a grain mill last winter and am enjoying it immensely–to the point that I’m digging more garden space to grow small stands of different grains this year, rye included).

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi there,
      The babka intro accidentally got crossed over with another babka recipe that we thought about using but didn’t make the final cut. Sorry about that.
      For the pumpernickel, that’s 100% rye using the whole berry. If you think of the wheat berry as a jawbreaker with different colors, the closer to the center of the ball you grind from, the lighter the rye will be, both in color and rye flavor. White center, darker rings as you go outward. If you grind up the whole thing you’ve got pumpernickel.

Hope this helps! ~ MJ

3. Mary Warner

I bought the premier issue of Sift last week (in spite of the comments about price in earlier blog posts), and am so glad I did. It was worth every penny. Not only is it beautifully done but, honestly, I want to make every single recipe in this Inaugural issue. Finally having time today, I just made the Raisin-Pecan Rye Bread. It’s fabulous! And I don’t say that lightly, being a relatively experienced bread baker and (admittedly) hard to impress. I doubled the recipe (for 2 loaves) and added 1 tablespoon of KA bread improver for good measure. I had to force myself to stop eating it or half the loaf would have been gone in a matter of minutes. By the way, I couldn’t find an oven temperature in the recipe, but it did well at 375 convection for 32 minutes, covering with foil after 15 as directed.
    One question about your recipes: would you ever consider giving the quantities in grams/metric in addition to volume and Ounces? I actually prefer the metric weights – they’re more exact.
    Thanks, KA, for yet another job remarkably well done!

1. PJ Hamel

Mary, thanks so much for sharing your enthusiasm here. I want some of that raisin-pecan rye NOW! 🙂 So glad you found our first issue a winner. Did you know that most of our online recipes are in volume, American weight, and metric weight? And many of the Sift recipes will be going online eventually, so you’ll be able to get your metric weights for them then. Cheers – PJH

4. Barbara Rossi

Just bought the Premiere Issue of Sift today. I’m very impressed and am dying to try some of the recipes. The photos and articles are wonderful. I, too, have a large library of digital cookbooks to save on “real estate,” but nothing really compares to a book/magazine in-hand. All I can say is…..yet another quality King Arthur product has hit the shelves!

5. member-gtlacroix

I received my magazine yesterday and I absolutely love everything about it! It is definitely one of those magazines that will be like a well loved book in my library. The quality of the cover, the pages, the photos, and the content is wonderful. In this issue I especially enjoyed reading about Homeboy Industries and the B Corp certification, as well as all the recipes that I cannot wait to try. I’m already looking forward to the next issue!

6. Karen Miller

I have a foot in two worlds – a culinarian and food writer….and also a community service professional. I admire the work of places like Homeboy Industries. The participants use baking as a means to transform themselves and learn new, marketable skills. I think it’s more important to refer to them as FORMER gang members. (bangers is even unnecessarily urban slang) …on their site they say “former gang-involved individuals”. The lifestyle is left behind before they walk in the door. Again from their site: “Gang affiliations are
left outside as these young people work together, side by side, learning the mutual respect that comes from shared tasks and challenges.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Karen. When we spent time with Herb Fingerhut and several of his amazing workers, the more general term that was used most often was just “homies”, short and affectionate, for “home boy”. I think there’s something amazingly transformative and healing about working with bread, and knowing you’re nourishing other people. Thanks so much for writing. Susan

7. Maria

Sift is a beautiful magazine, but I definitely liked the Baking Sheet better, since its recipes were ones you had not previously published. Many of the recipes in Sift seemed very similar or identical to ones in your cookbooks and blog material. Also, the cover has an unpleasantly greasy feel to it. However, I will always continue to support KAF since I so appreciate the extensive blog material and free advice – not to mention the great flour! Everyone at KAF is always so pleasant and helpful.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Maria. You’re the first person we’ve heard of with that reaction to the cover’s feel; thanks for letting us know your reaction. Sift is reaching many more people than the Baking Sheet ever did, and there are some revamped recipes, yes, but also many more new ones. Thank you for being a friend of KAF, we appreciate you more than we can say. Susan

8. Margy

Just bought copies for myself and my sister. Beautiful! For those who object to the price, this is a savor-and-save rather than a read-and-recycle publication. It seems more of a coffee table type book than a magazine, something to be saved to one’s cookbook library, not the usual magazine recycled after one reading.

9. Cheryl S. Farrow

Just got Sift at Publix in Montgomery, AL. After reading several recipes, I’m ready to bake, especially the Lime Rollout Cookies. The photographs are outstanding. Keep up the good work!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Go Cheryl! We love hearing where people are finding it. Thanks for the kind words, and yes, we’ll do our best to impress with the next two issues. Susan

1. Susan Reid, post author

We do, too, Anna. It’s a varnish that’s supposed to feel that way. The cover gets the most use and abuse, so most quality printers recommend some sort of varnish. This one has a satin finish, that almost feels that way, too! Susan