Hot off the presses: Sift, our new magazine, is here!

Less than a week ago, the printing presses were rolling, turning out the results of 9 months’ worth of writing, dreaming, photographing, and baking. Lots of baking. All so we could bring you our newest publication: a magazine called Sift. It weighs in at a little more than 3/4 pound – 108 pages altogether.

I just now got my advance copy from the printer. Even though I know every comma, period, photo, and story in it, I’m beside myself excited to see the final product in person. Even the paper is beautiful. I confess I pet the cover the same way I do the cat for a few minutes.

By the time you read this, you’ll be able to see it, too.

Sift magazineIs there anything more satisfying than picking up a magazine about something you love, that feels good in your hands, and will keep you company while you settle in for a virtual trip to other places, other kitchens, other flavors?

A good magazine is like dessert for your mind: a treat, something you’ll remember and come back to, something you look forward to spending time with.

We did our best to make sure Sift is all of those things, and maybe a little more. More than 60 recipes. Articles on collecting, and entertaining. A tour of four great cities and their iconic sandwiches…

roast-pork-sandwich

Philadelphia’s true sandwich darling isn’t what you might think: these days the locals are chowing down on roast pork sandwiches to die for.

…with stories and recipes from some of our favorite bloggers: Jim and Jena at Little Rusted Ladle, Joy, at Joy the Baker, Alexandra Stafford of  Alexandra’s Kitchen, and Farley Elliott in LA at OverOverUnder.

homeboy bakery baker

This is Marlin Marldondo, a Homeboy baker looking to move up through the ranks.

Features about baking and how it can change things in this world, the way it does at Homeboy Bakery. Check out this video if you want to know more about gang bangers changing their lives at this amazing place.

paska

Paska, with two different ways of decorating.

And a beautiful collection of Easter breads, with notes about their historical and cultural significance.

sugar-house-2

One of Julia Reed’s photos from the essay, “Fire, Steam and Sugar” page 68.

One of my favorite things about the magazine is the chance to share with you the incredible talents of King Arthur’s multi-media producer, Julia Reed, who not only takes photographs we all can envy, but writes a mean hand. She’s every editor’s dream.

You’ll learn a little more about some of our other employee-owners, too. From Brian Barthelmes, who illustrated the back cover, to Jeffrey Hamelman, a Certified Master Baker and head of our King Arthur Flour Bakery. He’s also a beekeeper, and we wanted to know more. In our article he talks about the beauty of bees…

ginger-honey-brioche…and shares his recipe for Ginger-Honey Brioche. How anything that light and tender can be just-enough sweet and spicy at the same time is a revelation.

There’s much, much more inside. We just wanted you to know it’s now available, from us, and at just about every major grocery store (look for it in the magazine section; it costs $12.95), bookstore, and newsstand.

In many ways, this magazine is our most sincere expression of all the things we love about the world of food and baking. We hope you’ll join us on the journey. Live. Breathe. Bake.

Sift.

Update and answers to your questions

You’ve been so incredibly enthusiastic in your response, we wanted to answer your most frequently asked questions right up front.

Subscriptions? Not at this time. This is a new business venture for us, and we want to see how it goes for now.

Digital  edition?  Again, not at this time, but if and when we do so, it would be on all major platforms.

Does my Baking Sheet subscription transfer over to Sift?  When The Baking Sheet retired, all current subscribers received either an email or a card with a code for King Arthur credit for the balance of their subscription plus a bit extra. That credit can most certainly be applied to buying a copy of Sift, and if you’ve lost the email, you can contact customer care and we’ll look up your code for you.

Why is it so expensive? Sift is filled with months of work and the creative talents of many writers, photographers, illustrators, designers, art directors, and even a chef and editor. The paper and binding are worthy of keeping on your coffee table or bookshelf. With more than 60 recipes, there’s more to bake and cook in this issue than I was able to fit into three combined issues of The Baking Sheet, which would have had a cover price of $14.85. Our quest is for quality, and for your satisfaction. We think once you have an issue in your hands, you’ll have both.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Susan Reid, post author

Oh, yes there will! The Fall issue was printed last week and is in the process of being shipped to distributors all over the country. It will appear on newsstands August 25. We’re pretty excited! Susan

1. Brittany

Love this publication! Please keep them coming. Thrilled to try nearly every single one of these recipes and very much enjoyed the editorial as well (the Homeboy Industries piece was great!). The print quality is top notch. Who designed and printed the beauty? They deserve kudos!

2. Lindsay

Just received a copy of Sift with my order yesterday – -WOW! My boyfriend drooled over the photo of the Caramel Cake. PLEASE continue this publication. I would definitely purchase a subscription if it was available! Love KAF products and recipes — you all do amazing work!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Thanks so much, Lindsay! We’re deep into the production and assembly of the next two issues. Fall will be out August 25, and Holiday debuts on October 26th! Look for more Sift then!Susan

3. minton

We have been visiting family in the Norwich area and as always made our annual visit to King Arthur Flour. This time we were inquiring about gluten free baking. Your staff was very helpful with information, ingredients and the purchase of the latest version of the Zojirushi bread machine which will bake gluten free breads. At checkout we were given a copy of “sift.” I am impressed with its helpful content including a surprising number of gluten free recipes and would like to know if a subscription will be available.

Happy to hear that you enjoyed the store so much. We don’t have plans for a subscription service at the moment, but it could happen in the future. Jon@KAF

4. barbara

Just picked up a copy at Wegmans. Loved the article and recipes for sandwiches. I grew up in Chicago, and now live in Philadelphia. We always are telling people about Chicago Italian beef sandwiches, messy but ooh soo good. Will have to see if I can duplicate memories with your recipe. Then try the pork sandwich from Philly.
    What a beautiful magazine. What is the outside coated in, it had such a nice feel.

It is a special kind of paper, Barbara. Lovely, isn’t it? So glad you are are enjoying SIFT! Barb@KAF

5. flourflngr

I saw Sift at costco the dayI got the email. Love it! Have maid asiago ciabatta and dipping sticks. Both are keepers and added to my permanent collections. Keep up the good work!

6. Rose

I was in magazine publishing more than 30 years and appreciate a beautiful magazine with glossy pages and gorgeous photos as anyone, but in this financial climate, I would appreciate a lighter weight paper and matte finish and a $7.95 cover price even more. I have been using KAF recipes for many years and order my Guittard chocolate and flours from you for the pastries I make now as a professional caterer. I know the quality you produce, but will not be able to buy this magazine at this price. Maybe if you do a less expensive digital version I’ll get it.

We’ll keep that feedback in mind; in the meantime, enjoy the loads of free information on our website. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

7. thomasma1

Love the magazine and think it is worth the price. I am looking forward to more issues. One question…is the art work on the back cover for sale? I love it and would like to frame it and hang it in my kitchen.

1. thomasma1

Thanks! Just to let you all know I will most likely frame the back cover anyway. I love it…it speaks to me about what baking is to me.

8. Susan

I just received my copy the other day and spent all afternoon reading it from cover to cover. I enjoyed every article, even though I am gluten intolerant (I was dragged kicking and screaming onto the GF and soy-free diet more than 5 years ago). Thank you for the six pages of GF recipes and photos! I love reading the blogs, so I knew I would really like reading your magazine. I read all the recipes with a plan to modify some of them to be GF, since I am an experienced baker (35+ years non GF and 5+ years GF). I know some of the readers found typos and I think there’s one on page 57 with the Honey Whole Wheat Biscuits. There’s honey (3 tablespoons) listed in the ingredient list in between the butter and egg, yet it’s not in the directions. You might also want to mention that honey can be difficult to mix in, if you’re adding it to the egg and buttermilk mixture. And yes, I’m thinking of making a GFversion of ths recipe! Thank you all so much for this lovely magazine!

We’re so glad you enjoy the magazine- and read it closely! We’re making notes for those recipes, and our Bakers can definitely help out when you have question. Laurie@KAF

9. Cindy Kilgore

I picked up a copy of Sift last weekend. What a lovely production on all accounts: quality of paper (yes, that does matter), the chosen content, the stories, photography, the recipes. And I have to admit, my favorite article was one about a neighbor, Harold Hubbard, and his sugaring. Julia Reed, nailed ole Harold on the head with her words and images! The added profile of a Vermont farmer just really gave the magazine a touch of the setting of King Arthur Flour – we’re rural, we’re down to earth, and a bit salty. I haven’t seen Julia Reed since she spread her newfound wings after high school graduation, but I can truly say I’m so glad she decided to come back to her roots with her many talents! Congratulations to the entire staff, I look forward to the arrival of the second issue!