Flourless Fudge Cookies: putting a tricky recipe to the test

This is the story of a recipe involving cocoa, egg whites, great joy, frustration, and guilt.

Lots and lots of guilt.

Let me elaborate. I’m the person nominally in charge of the online recipe site here at King Arthur Flour. I say nominally, because there are lots of us from the test kitchen contributing recipes; and I’m simply the one who tries to keep them organized.

I’ve been shepherding recipes at King Arthur Flour for nearly 25 years; they feel like my children. And, like children, I love them all – often for very different reasons.

Almond Puff Loaf looks and tastes REALLY elegant and fancy, yet it’s simplicity itself to make. English Muffin Toasting Bread, also an easy recipe, makes perfect toast. Famous Department Store Blueberry Muffins pique long-ago memories: the top-floor tea room at Jordan Marsh in downtown Boston, my little-girl self surrounded by “ladies who lunch.”

Doughnut Muffins are a joyful surprise: hey, this muffin tastes EXACTLY like a cinnamon doughnut! Golden Butter Buns just plain make me happy.

And Fudge Brownies are DA BOMB – that’s the only way to put it.

Bottom line, I care about our recipes. I care a lot. And thus, when I notice one going off the rails, I feel guilty. How many readers have had a bad experience? How has that affected their trust in King Arthur Flour as a baking resource?

FlourlessFudgeCookiesC15W

Flourless Fudge Cookies – what’s your problem?

Elisabeth, one of our baker specialists, spends a lot of time on the phone with all of you out there. If you call our hotline often, you’ve probably spoken with her. Elisabeth buttonholed me the other day, and said, “We need to do something about those Flourless Fudge Cookies. People seem to be having trouble.”

A discussion, and some followup research, reveals that indeed, despite mostly 5-star reviews, a significant body of bakers isn’t happy with the recipe.

“Horrible, horrible, sticky, bitter cookies,” says Lolly from North Carolina. “This might be the only ‘failure’ I’ve ever had with a KAF recipe,” adds Jess from South Jersey.

On the other hand, Toni writes, “I love this fudge cookie!” And Jenphifer01 adds her approval, writing, “These are quite possibly the best cookies I have ever had, much less made myself.”

What gives? How can a cookie be “the best” and a “failure” – all at once?

DSC_8457

Clearly, I needed to put this recipe to the test.

Which I did – for two solid days. And I’m happy to report, I’ve learned a lot about this particular recipe. Let’s take it from the top, and see what makes these cookies a raving success for most of you – and what causes them to crash and burn for others.

Let’s start with the recipe ingredients, which thankfully are pretty simple:

2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional but good
1 cup (3 ounces) cocoa powder
3 large egg whites (3 3/4 ounces)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and/or dried cranberries, optional

Notice I’ve added weights here; using a scale will absolutely help you ensure success with this recipe.

DSC_84091. Use the exact amount of egg white called for.

Use large eggs; or extra-large, in a pinch. Using medium or jumbo eggs will yield batter that’s either too dry, or too liquid. If you have a scale, 3 3/4 ounces of egg whites is your goal; if not, a scant 1/2 cup of whites is what you’re aiming for, as shown in the photo above.

DSC_8383

2. Brand/type of cocoa makes a difference.

For testing purposes, I compared King Arthur’s Triple Cocoa Blend (a combination of natural and Dutch-process cocoa) with Ghirardelli natural, and Hershey’s Special Dark (again, a blend of natural and Dutch-process cocoas).

Each cookie had its own distinct flavor. I preferred the King Arthur cookie (and not just because I work here!). I found it chocolate-y, without being bitter or astringent. The natural-cocoa cookie tasted flat and too sweet to me; the Hershey’s, just a bit “off.”

If you use Hershey’s cocoa, be aware that your batter will be thicker than what you’ll see pictured below; and the resulting cookies will be mounded, rather than flat/smooth.

fudgecocoa2

3. Measure your cocoa (and sugar) carefully.

See the cup of cocoa on the left? It’s pretty much a cup, right? Well, “pretty much” doesn’t cut it in this finicky recipe. Spoon cocoa into your DRY measuring cup (please don’t use a glass liquid measuring cup; it’s not accurate enough for this use). Level off any excess off with a table knife. You should have 3 ounces of cocoa.

Measure confectioners’ sugar the same way. You need 9 ounces; that’s 2 1/4 dry measuring cups.

Or, better yet – use a scale. You’re right – I’m going to harp on this scale thing till the cows come home!

fudge1

3. Whisk the wet and dry ingredients together separately.

Whisking the egg whites separately breaks them down a bit, making it easier to combine them with the cocoa and sugar.

I find it helps to work with the dry ingredients in my sink; cocoa and confectioners’ sugar are notoriously “poofy,” and will coat any work surface with a fine, brown and white dust as you whisk. Placing the bowl in the sink helps with cleanup; be sure to swivel your faucet out of harm’s way first.

Scrape every last bit of liquid ingredients out of the bowl; or, instead of pouring the liquid into the dry, add the dry to the liquid (but watch out for a major “dust storm”!).

fudge3

4. Stir until everything is fully combined. Really.

As you stir, you’ll think, “This isn’t happening. There’s not enough liquid.” RESIST the urge to add more egg whites, milk, water, or anything else. The mixture will seem terminally dry – until suddenly, within a few strokes, it becomes a thick, syrupy batter.

If you’ve stirred and stirred and the batter’s still thick, drizzle in additional beaten egg white sparingly, until it becomes syrupy, as pictured above.

fudge6

5. GREASE your pan or parchment.

This is imperative. Use shortening or non-stick vegetable oil spray (not butter) to grease your pan or, yes, your parchment.

The cookie pictured at left, above, was baked on ungreased parchment. I was unable to remove it from the parchment in one piece. At right, the parchment was greased; the baked cookie slid right off.

fudge4

6. Smaller cookies are easier to handle than larger ones.

I’m using a teaspoon cookie scoop here to portion out 1 3/4″ to 2″ circles of batter. This will yield thin, delicate 2″ cookies. I find the larger these cookies are, the harder they are to handle, store, and transport.

Exception: If you add the optional chips/nuts/fruit, making larger cookies is fine; they won’t be fragile.

DSC_8433

7. Wait 30 minutes before baking the cookies.

When you first deposit the batter onto the pan, it’ll be very sticky. After 30 minutes, each circle of batter will have developed a thin crust; you’ll be able to very gently poke it without it sticking to your finger.

DSC_8452

Why the rest? Because these cookies spread as they bake, and the rest helps temper that spread. While cookies baked without resting may spread so much they’re too fragile to handle, “rested” cookies hold their shape a bit more.

You’ll notice the rested cookies also bake up darker. This is because the cocoa has had a chance to become fully hydrated – which is also partly why the cookies spread less. While both cookies taste the same, I prefer the look of the darker one.

fudge5

8. Want a sturdier cookie? Add the optional chips/nuts/dried fruit.

If you simply don’t want to deal with potentially fragile cookies – say, you’re taking these to a potluck or church supper – opt for the add-ins.

I’ve used chocolate chips and dried cranberries here, but toasted nuts also pair well with chocolate, of course. These extra ingredients add structure, and also yield a very different cookie: one whose flavor goes beyond chocolate, and its texture from delicate to sturdy/moist/chewy.

fudge7

9. Bake the cookies for the recommended amount of time.

Small cookies without add-ins will be perfectly baked at 7 minutes. Larger cookies, with nuts/chips/fruit, will take 10 minutes. These cookies are supposed to be very, very moist – don’t be tempted to leave them in the oven to “firm them up.”

The “perfect” cookie will develop a shiny, crackly top surface, like the one pictured above. Too much sugar, too much cocoa, or not enough/too much baking will all tone down this effect. So if you achieve it – congratulations, you’ve baked the perfect Flourless Fudge Cookie!

So, what did we learn about this potentially recalcitrant recipe?

Well, as with any child, sometimes you need to correct behavior; and with that in mind, I’ve tweaked some of the recipe’s directions to clarify them fully.

But in the end, it’s often simply a matter of managing expectations.

Yes, these cookies are moist and chewy. For some, this translates to “not baked enough.” For others, to “decadently fudgy.” And yes, these cookies are VERY chocolate-y. “Bitter” – or “Best ever”? That’s for you to decide.

And finally, like any child that you love – it was totally worth the time it took to bring this recipe to its full potential.

Yes, test baking can be a dirty job…

IMG_0780

…but someone’s gotta do it! As we say here at King Arthur Flour, “We make the mistakes so you don’t have to.”

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Flourless Fudge Cookies.

Print just the recipe.

comments

1. Lisa

PJ, in case no one’s told you lately: you’re Awesome. I love your approach to perfecting not just the product but the instructions themselves. It can be really frustrating to find a great recipe and have it flop in my kitchen (hard on the ego too), but I feel like I can tackle these now. Thank you for putting in all of that work and maintaining a spirit of Scientific Baking Awesomeness.

2. Mary

Thank you for taking the time to walk readers through the recipe. I hadn’t tried this one yet, but it is on my list of recipes to try. Seeing how you revisited each element is really helpful in terms of thinking out how to write out my own recipes.

3. lorrainesfav

I think a bit of almond flour will help stabilize this cookie. It will still be flourless and gluten free. Lorraine

Please try it and let us know how that works! It’s a wonderful idea! Laurie@KAF

4. jenni

This post is great, PJ! It’s nicely written and I appreciate your insights. I have a fantastic recipe for a chocolate cookie with a very small amount of flour, but I was just recently thinking that a flourless recipe would be handy to have in my repertoire (especially for gluten-free friends!). Now I know how to do it. 🙂 Thanks!

5. Sue

And THIS is why I love you guys!!! (I almost never use three exclamation points, but the KA bakers deserve ’em.)

6. Karen

Thank you. I’ve made these cookies a few times and they come out 50/50 for me, but I know when they don’t it was because I was rushed or fudged the recipe a bit. With the explanation, I will be much more careful next time (with candy coated chocolate pieces they are really a huge hit around here.)

7. Robynn Kirkwood

Thank you for all of your recipe testings! I was wondering if you have tried beating the egg whites into a meringue for this flour-less cookie? I have not made these in a while, but it seems like my recipe instructed to do this . My cookies were fudgy, held together really well and also had that shiny glaze you mentioned.

A meringue will add lots of air bubbles and lightness to the cookie; it won’t be quite the same dense and fudgy texture. That doesn’t mean it’s wrong- it’s just a different method of production with different results. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

2. Sharon Drahn

I think this look delicious but was wondering what if you wanted to add some ground ancho peppers to these cookies, what amount would you suggest?

We’ve seen chocolate recipes that use the addition of cinnamon, chili pepper or cayenne pepper to really spice things up. You might consider starting small – like using 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon and then amp up the heat with more pepper to meet your personal spice quotient! Happy baking! Irene@KAF

8. Margy

Did you do any testing using egg whites from a carton? I know people use them to avoid having the extra egg yolks left over. My personal experience has been that they don’t turn out right using the pasteurized egg product as opposed to the local farm eggs I normally use.

We don’t usually use the pasteurized eggs in fully baked products. They don’t have the same body as the whole fresh eggs. I’m sure a bit of experimenting would yield great results, but we haven’t done that yet. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

2. Sheila B

I used the egg whites in a carton and turned out good. I was thinking of decreasing the amt of Cocoa as thought it was too much. Will try a different brand of Cocoa.
      Thank You for the great flourless recipes. I am trying to eat healthier and still like my sweets.

9. Lynn Davis

Remember the JM Blueberry muffins. The reference reminded me that I have not made them in a while.
    Do you have a recommendation on how much high fiber flour I could use on the recipe?
    Always appreciate your guidance.

Try replacing 1/4th of the flour with hi maize and see how it goes for you. Jon@KAF

10. Margaret

Once I started using a scale, all of my baking improved. That is especially true for my gluten free baking. GF flours are thirsty and more challenging than wheat flour. I have made this flourless chocolate cookie before and they were delicious. But you are right, the ingredients for it must be precise. I appreciate your comments!

11. Lara

What a marvelous explanation on those cookies! I’m a beginner in what it comes to baking so this has been very helpful. Thank you so much!

12. BeckyInGSO

I live in North Carolina. I find that I need to adjust KAF recipes to work in this climate which is more warm and humid than Vermont. My changes mostly involve using a little less flour and cooking at a lower temperature for longer periods. (Who knows, this may be because of the ovens I used over the years.) I’ve been going to KAF for recipes so long now that I automatically make the adjustments without much thought.

I’ll probably be moving to the southwest to be close to my parents in the next five years. I know I’ll have to rework all my recipes for the area. I look forward to the challenge.

Keep posting all the great recipes and techniques. I visit the site almost every day.

13. cassandraoftroy

It’s amazing how a few minor changes can affect the outcome of this recipe so profoundly. I made these for the first time at home, using Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa and a cup of mini chocolate chips, and baked them on parchment paper in my electric oven, and they came out wonderfully! (I made them way too big, given how intensely decadent they were, but structurally they were completely fine.) When I visited a friend, I wanted to share the recipe with her, so I made them again at her place. She had Ghirardelli cocoa, standard-size chocolate chips, a Silpat cookie mat, a gas oven, and a teaspoon cookie scoop. The results were completely different — the cookies were still molten after six minutes in the oven, even after cooling. (The ones I put in for seven minutes fared a bit better.) The lesson I took away from the experience is that it’s much easier to bake in your own kitchen.

A suggestion for what to do with the leftover egg yolks: Lemon curd! Quick, easy, and delicious.

14. cassandraoftroy

(I tried posting a little while ago but I don’t see my earlier comment. I apologize if I end up commenting twice!)

It’s amazing how much a few little differences in ingredients and methods make with this recipe. When I first made these cookies at home, they came out perfectly. I used Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa, a cup of mini chocolate chips, and baked them for about 8 minutes on parchment in my electric oven. I made them big (too big for a serving size, given how intensely decadent they are, but structurally even the 4″ one was fine), and they came off the parchment pretty easily. When I visited a friend, I wanted to share the recipe, so I made them at her place. They had Ghirardelli cocoa, standard-size chocolate chips, Silpat baking mats, a teaspoon cookie scoop, and a gas oven. Given how much smaller these cookies were than my previous batch, I baked them for 6 minutes… and they came out still molten, even after cooling on the Silpat. They were next to impossible to get off the sheet intact. The ones I baked for 7 minutes fared a little better, but they were definitely not the same as the ones I’d made at home. I don’t fault the recipe, since they *have* turned out well for me, but thank you, PJ, for your research in taking some of the guesswork out of these cookies! For me, I think I’ll stick to baking them in my own kitchen, where I’m comfortable with my ingredients and equipment.

A suggestion for what to do with those leftover egg yolks: Lemon curd! Quick, easy, and delicious.

15. Gwen

Apparently I’ve been lucky but then again I do use a scale as much as possible… I’ve been making these for years and they’ve never let me down. Not only do I have quite a few gluten free friends one can’t do dairy either so this recipe has been a great go to.

16. Leah Clair

PJ, I love that you tested all these options and explained so carefully all the “ins and outs” of this recipe. A huge help. Thanks!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

You’re welcome, Leah – I hope you try these cookies, if you haven’t already. They’re VERY tasty. 🙂 PJH

17. liza

i made these cookies right after the recipe was posted. they were delicious. but i have to agree, the recipe was a bit annoying. i couldn’t find extra large eggs. so i added the large egg whites and had to add 2 extra. the batter was very weird and wet. the cookies came out VERY flat. but, they were DELICIOUS. they were gone 5 minutes after i finished them. i will make them again and try the changes you’ve suggested.

1. karieeleison

The recipe does say large eggs. Did it take 5 whites? I wonder if the egg carton may have been incorrectly labeled. Perhaps they were really medium (or smaller)….

18. Amy

Now you have me wondering what I’m doing “wrong;” these are among my favorite cookies and I’ve never had the least bit of trouble with them! Then again, this is the girl who takes her cocoa unsweetened and enjoys unsweetened baking chocolate straight. I hope that this post doesn’t dissuade anyone from trying the recipe. If you’re a chocolate-lover, you can’t do better, and they really aren’t fussy.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Amy, I hear you; I haven’t had issues with these cookies, either. But about 5% to 8% or so of our readers do, and to me that’s an unacceptably high level. Thus our decision to figure out what might be going wrong, based on people’s comments. I hope this post results in a 100% success rate going forward! PJH

19. niki

Did I miss the oven temp somewhere? I’ve read it several times, and maybe I am blind. What temp do I cook these cookies on?

Niki, under step #3 you will see that it says to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. It is hiding in the recipe a bit–we’re sorry if this wasn’t more clear. You should be all set to go ahead and bake some fabulous flourless fudge cookies! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

20. perfecting

This was a delightful read, love all your posts and tutorials. Thank you so very much. Will give them a try ASAP.

21. prynca

Very nice execute these all section..I love this.I also want to bake this cookie because i love cocoa . 🙂

Thanks

22. Patty

This is a great article! I totally enjoyed reading it and seeing the pictures to go with it. I’ve totally worked a recipe for days to try to get the perfect result and even different variations of a recipe. Thank you!

23. Noreen Hobson

What a fantastic read! The insight into process is brilliant and conveyed so well. I had a less than stellar experience with this recipe, which is incredibly rare with KAF recipes. This actually makes me want to give them another shot. And it makes me want to shop for a kitchen scale too! Thank you so much for all your hard work for all of us!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Noreen, we love to teach, and to solve problems – our goal is sharing the JOY of baking, not cause frustration! Honestly, to me it’s mostly about managing expectations. Yes, this is a flat, chewy cookie – tasty, but FLAT. Unless you add another element (chips, nuts, dried fruit), in which case it becomes more typically cookie shaped – and very tasty, to boot. I do hope you try these again – and thank you for your kind words. PJH

24. Shannon

This is so interesting! I first made these cookies (or a very close variation of them) from Molly Wizenberg’s blog a few years back (now that I look, I cannot believe that it’s actually been nine years!).

They’re fantastic and I should make them more often.

As many times as I’ve made these over the past nine years, I have to admit, I never before realized that I’ve been letting the dough rest. It’s just that I always forget to preheat the oven, so the dough rests by default. And now I’ve learnt that that’s the trick to making these cookies so good 🙂

25. Patricia

I just love these recipes. Whether I make something or not, the recipes are fabulous and the pictures are great. Keep them coming.

Thanks, Patricia! We really appreciate your support and will certainly keep the posts coming. Barb@KAF

26. Grace

I made these for the first time as a surprise for my daughter who has celiac. She absolutely loved them! Sent her home with a copy of the recipe as well as the cookies.

27. Diane

I baked this cookie twice and found that the cookies must be baked until they crack, or they are simply too wet inside. I have baked up to 13 minutes with good result.
    Is there a substitute sugar for this recipe. I pick up a flavor of the corn starch.

PS I always add 2C chopped walnuts with grand crunch result. Added chocolate would be too much, as cocoa is enough for good flavor.

1. Pat Wallace

Has anybody tried this recipe with glazing sugar? I’m allergic to both corn and wheat so I don’t use confectioners’ sugar. I wonder if the corn starch from confectioners’ sugar has an effect on the cookie’s chemistry and so should I replace it?

We haven’t tried it, Diane, but we’ve successfully used our Glazing Sugar in many other confectioner’s sugar applications and would think it should work just fine. Mollie@KAF

1. Susan Reid

What height are you at, JJ? At 5,000′, this is unlikely to need much adjusting; perhaps a teaspoon more egg white. At 8,000, I’d try an extra tablespoon. No leavener to adjust, obviously. Susan

28. Janice

Thanks for the refinements! For me, I got different results every time I made them…this should help with that. Although I don’t see anything that would need adjusting for high altitude, I was wondering if you do.

1. Susan Reid

Janice, depends on how high up you are. See my response above; if you’re having trouble with the cookies, try adding a little more egg white. Susan

29. Judy

Thank you, PJ! You are a great instructor. Mostly, people post recipes without explanations. When you post, you explain why. I feel that you are my private teacher standing next to me in the kitchen. You take away my uncertainty and make me comfortable. You are more valuable than any cookbook or cooking show. Thank you for the way you teach and for the personal warmth I get from your posts.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Judy, you’re SO sweet – you just made my Sunday! I love sharing the joy of baking; always have. I’m happy when people feel comfortable welcoming us into their kitchens; it feels like we’re baking together, doesn’t it? Good luck with these cookies; they can be a bit finicky, but even the not-quite-right batches are totally delicious _ i can vouch for that, after all the experimenting. 🙂 Enjoy – PJH

30. Brooke

Thank you for this recipe update–my cookies didn’t look like any of those pictured. They were flat and dull-looking but tasted good. Can they be baked on a sil-pat?

I think a Silpat should work, Brooke. But you might want to spray your Silpat with nonstick spray and then wipe it off. The residue should help prevent sticking. Barb@KAF

We haven’t actually tried these cookies on a Silpat, but I think it should work. You might want to spray the Silpat with a nonstick spray and then wipe it off. There should be enough residue to keep the cookies from sticking. Barb@KAF

31. Patti

I’m trying to eat low-carb (low-sugar) so I was wondering if artificial sweeteners can be substituted for the sugar (e.g., Swerve, Splenda, etc.). I’m sure those who are diabetic also would be interested in enjoying this cookie, if artificial sweeteners will work for the sugar. Thank you!

1. Susan Reid

Patti, it’s worth a try, especially if you use Splenda’s 50/50 blend; some sugar is needed in order for the cookies to spread. Artificial sweeteners don’t melt and spread in the oven the way granulated sugar will. Susan

32. Noraros

I was wondering if you could add “rice krispies” and/or the chocolate chops, nuts and dry fruit. If so, would the total additions still be 2 cups total?

Another question I have is what is the specific “larger” size scoop to be used with the addition of the chocolate chops, nuts and dry fruit (how much larger can they be and still be easy to detach).

And third, one of the posted comments says to beat the egg whites into a meringue, to which the reply was “won’t be quite the same dense and fudgy texture.” Does this means that they will be “crunchier”as opposed to “dense and fudgy texture”? I personally prefer crunchy cookies as opposed to soft, that’s why I’m asking this and the addition/replacement of rice krispies.
    Thanks in advance for your time to respond to these issues and… keep up with this kind of work!!!!
    It is priceless, especially to beginners like myself

1. Susan Reid

Rice cereal may work if you bake the cookies right away; but the batter can’t sit for any length of time after they’re added; you’ll just get mushy cereal in your cookies. The scoop size for larger is our tablespoon scoop; also known as a #40 disher.
      Beating the egg whites to a meringue will give you a cakier cookie. I don’t see any way to make this a crispy cookie given its formula other than to bake it low and slow for a long time: say, at 300°F for 15 minutes. Susan

33. Janie Kappius

Actually a question. I live at almost 8000 ft in the Rocky Mountains and usually have to adjust recipes for altitude. What should I do to this recipe for success as the usual ingredients for adjusting are not in this recipe and I really want to try these cookies. Thanks in advance.

1. Susan Reid

Janie, I expect you may need more egg white to get the results you’re after. Start by adding an extra tablespoon, bake off a cookie, and see how it fares. You can always add a wee bit more. Altitude needs more liquid and protein, both of which the extra egg white will provide. You don’t have to worry about adjusting any leaveners, because there aren’t any. Susan

34. gigi

While I had success making these cookies the first time, I appreciate you taking the time to further test the recipe. I’ve made these cookies several times for the chocolate lovers in my family, next time I will add the 30 minute rest period to eliminate the spread. I’ve only used Dutch processed cocoa because I like the dark chocolate look and flavor. Like you say in your post, expectations vary when it comes to the flavor and texture of cookies. These cookies may not please ever palate. My family enjoyed these cookies but we will pretty much eat anything made with chocolate.

Gigi, I agree with your family–you can’t go wrong with chocolate! Barb@KAF

35. Jim

Hi PJ,
    I have been making these since the last time you posted the recipe. The changes I made was 44 grams of Dutch Process Cocoa and 44 grams of Black Cocoa. Also added 1/4 cup Pecan pcs, & 1 cup chocolate chips of choice. I use store bought Liquid Egg Whites. 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon. They mix up just the right consistency. I get great feedback from these. No one has ever not liked them.
    Thanks again PJ

36. MaryC

I agree with other comments about how valuable the explanation of various steps, the “why” of ingredients, etc. and the pictures. I have recently been trying more new recipes from KAF, as I am retired and have more time. LOVE them! I am now making English muffin toasting bread in the KAF bread pan at least twice a week! I do wish you had a straight sided bread pan that was 5 X. 5 X 9. I also make sandwich bread and would like it to have straight sides and be a more standard loaf size.

I also agree that a scale makes a big difference! I bought one from you several years ago and use it daily.

Thank you so much for your recipes. My family visited recently and think I am a major baker!

Mary, if your family thinks you are a major baker, then you are a major baker! You might want to try our 9 X 4 X 4 bread pan. It should work fine for recipes written for a 9 X 5 inch pan. Barb@KAF

37. Sandy

I have made these cookies many times for my gluten-free friends (and even gave them for Christmas to my non-gluten-free friends) and have never had any issues. I used Hershey’s cocoa as that’s what I had and always use silicone baking mats. I am looking forward to trying the resting period though. Thanks for all the tips!!

38. Lisa Keys

I need to be spending way more time here listening and learning–fantastic instruction and explanation

39. Dawn

i love the fact that you offer gluten free flours!!! It is so nice to be able to enjoy baking without the ill effects of the gluten! Thank you!!

40. Sara S

Great post. Great cookie.
    Please keep encouraging use of scale, not just for accuracy but for ease of use and less cleanup too.

41. Dot L.

Where is the cafe bakery that she’s the chocolate flourless cookies using another cocoa. / chocolate .we are coming up to New England in June and wNt to. Stop and visit. Thanks love the cookies and have made several times, never let them sit out for half hour before baking but will try it the next time I make them only once were they less than great because I think I have too much confectioner sugar. Wi do what PJ said from now on.

42. Sophia

Thank you for the wonderful tips to help ensure these cookies come out beautifully! Quick question: would these cookies take well to freezing prior to baking them? I’d like to make the batter ahead of time to cut down on day-of party preparations.

The flourless fudge cookie batter is very thin–more of a pourable consistency rather than scoopable, which doesn’t make them great contestants for freezing before baking. If you’d like to freeze them, free after they have been baked and cooled completely. To serve, allow them to thaw in the fridge overnight in the wrapping, and then put them out at room temperature for about 2-4 hours. Viola, fudge cookies in a flash! Kye@KAF

43. Julie

Why do use instruct us to grease the parchment with shortening or spray, but NOT butter. Just very curious about this!

Also wondering if you’ve tested it with 100% Dutch process cocoa. I buy Valrhona, and I really like the taste. I’ve used it in a very similar cookie recipe, and it was great. Unfortunately the recipe did not instruct to grease the baking surface, so it was a mess! Any potential drawback to using Dutch cocoa? Thank you!

1. Susan Reid

Julie, shortening or spray are both water-free, which is not the case with butter, and therefore they’re a little more non-stick. We’ve done these with Dutch-process many times, and they’re great every time. Susan

44. Dennis McGill

New to your recipe subscription and this is the first recipe I wanted to try. So glad the test kitchen article was attached. Always fun to read. Though I must say I’ve learned not to deviate from directions much and wouldn’t normally fall into the traps tested. But I still love to read the whys and wherefores of things. Thanks!

45. Holly

Thank you for the very detailed instructions! I’m about to try these for the first time.

What is the best way to store these cookies, and how long will they stay fresh?

These can be stored cool, and dry for around 4-5 days pretty easily. I would freeze for long term storage. Jon@KAF

46. Renee

I just made these for the first time. I didn’t read this first, so I used butter on the pans, didn’t add extra egg white, and used Hershey’s regular cocoa. I didn’t have time to let them rest, so I cheated and baked them right away. I added chocolate chips, and wish I’d added nuts. The batter was way thicker than you show, they made balls more than cookies. They came out great! I’m feeling extra lucky tonight!

47. Julia

Have you tried these with an alternative sugar like coconut sugar or one of the alcohol sugars? Flour is worse for a diabetic than the sugar, but it would be great to have this with even fewer carbies!

Sadly, Julia, we haven’t experimented with coconut or other alternative sugar for the Flourless Fudge Cookies. If Splenda’s 50/50 blend is used some sugar is needed in order for the cookies to spread. Artificial sweeteners don’t melt and spread in the oven the way granulated sugar will. We hope this is helpful as you experiment in your home kitchen! Happy baking! Irene@KAF

48. Kristy

I just came across this recipe and am wanting to try it ~ sounds so yummy! I am assuming that if adding chocolate chips or nuts I would still allow the cookies to rest for the 30 minutes before baking? I just want to make sure I don’t mess it up! 🙂

49. Vivian/Azgirl

Such a fun site to read!! Even though I’m older than mud and have baked for years I am still learning from masters like you. Thanks for making things so easy to understand; the whys and wherefores are fascinating and help with gaining patience to ‘get it right’. I’m in constant need of patience! I agree with the use of a scale, which I learned in Australia. It really helps with the outcome, and the Aussies use grams, etc. in their recipes so a scale is vital. Thanks, over and over for all the help you give.

50. Janey

Thanks, about to try this cookie. I’ve been diagnosed with Celiacs and love baking. Hard to find flourless cookies that are tasty. Thanks from someone who needs no flour but loves cooking sweets.

51. Stella

PJ this was an incredible addendum to the original recipe. Whether you are a beginner or expert baker, your tips are noteworthy. Thank you so much and I can’t wait to perfect mine, thanks to you!!

52. Teresa

As your original commenter said, you are awesome PJ! My helper (husband) and I are so grateful for your deep, precise, thorough guidance on making this most excellent type of cookie.

53. flfg

Since cooking times are exact, I don’t know how to time mine in a convection oven. Everything cooks more quickly than a convention oven. Do you have a suggestion?

Try turning down the oven by 25°F and checking for doneness about 5 minutes early. If you take the cookies out earlier than this, they’ll stay a little moist and fudgy on the inside. Don’t worry—they’re delicious any way! Kye@KAF

54. lisa

O.M.G. I was just about to curse KAF and this dang recipe. I’ve been mixing and mixing away “resisting the urge to add liquid”. I was on my 6th egg white and pulling my hair out thinking “this can’t be right”…when I looked at my tub of powdered sugar. What did the label say? “Corn starch”. I thought it’s smelled a little odd. Ugh.