Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes: Easy + Gluten-Free

I really adore our coconut flour; it’s one of my favorite gluten-free flours to use in baking. But I do know that coconut flour can be a little intimidating – especially for new gluten-free bakers.

I mean, truthfully, I was scared when I first started baking with it. It would absorb liquid like nothing I had ever seen! And the recipes that I read would call for 1/4 cup flour for an entire batch of muffins. It seemed crazy, and almost implausible; but as I started experimenting, I realized that coconut flour was an amazing thing.

And these coconut flour cupcakes are proof of how spectacular this flour really is.

First, let me ask you: what makes a perfect cupcake? Is it the frosting? The level of sweetness? The texture?

For me, it’s all about the texture. I can skip the frosting altogether as long as my cupcake has that perfectly light, springy, tender crumb.

To achieve this using just coconut flour, like we do with these cupcakes, we rely on eggs. Lots and lots of eggs.

Eggs not only provide structure, but they also help bind the cupcakes, help them rise, and make them moist and tender.

I’ve eaten my fair share of gluten-free cupcakes and I have to say, these are not only the easiest ones I’ve made, but they’re also the most delicious. I hope you love them, too!

To begin, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with 10 paper cupcake liners.

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflour

In a large bowl, whisk together the following:

1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract
6 large eggs

Whisk in 2 tablespoons of milk, and set the mixture aside.

In a separate mixing bowl, sift together 1/2 cup coconut flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder.

Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, and mix to combine.

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflourEvenly divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling each liner 3/4 full; this recipe makes about 10 cupcakes.

Bake the cupcakes on the center rack of the oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.

Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely before frosting.

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflourTo make this Quick Buttercream Frosting, beat 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) butter until fluffy. Beat in a pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract.

Add 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ or glazing sugar and 2 tablespoons milk, and beat until smooth. Add enough additional sugar (up to 1/2 cup) to make a smooth, spreadable frosting.

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflourScoop the frosting into a gallon-sized zip-top bag or a pastry bag. If you’re using a plastic bag, snip off the end with scissors. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, and sprinkle with a little toasted coconut.

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflourThese coconut flour cupcakes are incredibly versatile. They’re a basic vanilla cake recipe, so you can frost them with whatever your heart desires. And if you’re looking for some frosting inspiration, browse some of our frosting recipes!

Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes via @kingarthurflour

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Vanilla Coconut Flour Cupcakes.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Lorraine Fina Stevenski

Alyssa: My local supermarket now has King Arthur Almond Flour on the shelf. I have experimented with a few of my cookie recipes and they came out great! Yeah! Will this coconut flour cupcake recipe work OK with almond flour? Looks like a great, simple recipe for a GF goodie. Lorraine

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Lorraine, thanks for the comment and I’m so glad that you can now find our Almond Flour at your local grocery store! Unfortunately, you won’t be able to use almond flour in this recipe without some major adjustments. The two flours are very different in their composition and how they react with liquids. That’s got me thinking that we need an almond flour cupcake recipe thought 🙂 – Alyssa

2. Ruth

I’m trying to cut out sugar as well as grains. Any suggestions on how I could modify this to eliminate/substitute or reduce the sugar?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Ruth, quick question for you: are you trying to cut out all sugar or just refined sugar? If you’re trying to cut out refined sugar, I suggest trying coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is lower on the glycemic index and won’t spike blood sugar like cane sugar will. If you do end up trying it, I’d grind it in a blender or spice grinder to turn it more into a powered form (closer to cane sugar). If you are trying to cut out sugar all together, you could try something like the Truvia Baking blend, but I haven’t tried it so I can’t guarantee the results. Let us know what you end up trying, we’d love to hear how they turn out! – Alyssa

2. Katherine Stewart

Ruth

I use truvia baking blend. It has a little bit of sugar in it, just enough to make it taste like it is real sugar.

3. member-sr53671

These look absolutely delish, but I am afraid 10 cupcakes will not be enough! I know that gluten-free baking is a bit different from other wheat based recipes, so how do I double the recipe?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi there! Simply double the recipe as you would a traditional wheat-based recipe. You’ll use a lot of eggs, but it will still work 🙂 – Alyssa

4. Linda

Like to try this but can you substitute regular vanilla extract for gluten-free extract without affecting the quality?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Linda, yes! Most definitely. We just like to specify using gluten-free for our readers who are severely allergic to gluten. The cupcakes will still be lovely. Enjoy! – Alyssa

5. Lyn Bailey

I am totally unfamiliar with gluten free cooking, coconut flour, all that. Can this recipe be used as a birthday cake?

Stephanie, if in your baking world the more coconut, the better, then feel free to add 1/2 cup of shredded (toasted, if you like) coconut to the batter. You may need to add 1 tablespoon of additional milk if the batter looks quite thick when you go to pour it into the muffin wells. Happy coconut baking! Kye@KAF

6. Mary From Virginia

My husband and I have occasional guests who either are required to eat gluten free, or prefer to avoid gluten. I have learned to depend on KAF for excellent gluten free recipes as well as “regular” flour recipes. Some GF recipes have even become our favorites of that type of baked good. So please keep these GF recipes and blog entries coming for all of us, not just those who must use them. I’ll be trying this one soon. Thank you.

7. Tara

While the flavor was good I found these cupcakes to be really greasy on the bottom. I wonder if that much butter is really needed. The 1/2c of coconut flour is correct without any other flour added, right? Also I added coconut to the batter and used paper liners. Later I remembered you are supposed to use foil liners when you add coconut to cupcakes/muffins or the cake will stick to the liners. Just a hint I wish I had remembered before I scooped the batter in the liners.

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Tara, yes that recipe is just 1/2 cup of coconut flour with no other flour added. I think you could certainly try the recipe with a little less oil and see how they turn out, you just might want to adjust the baking time slightly as I feel like they would be more prone to drying out with less fat. Let us know if you make any changes and how they work 🙂 – Alyssa

8. Sally Duston

I assume that coconut oil could be substituted for the fat in this recipe. Have you tried that? I appreciate your GF recipes and tips! I had to wing it for a long time, but now there is so much information out there… SD

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Sally – I personally have not tried the recipe with coconut oil, but I do think it would work. And I also think it would add a really nice flavor 🙂 Enjoy! – Alyssa

9. Linda

oops…they woujld not be vegan because of the eggs,,,duh…but still interested in replacing the fat with coconut oil…Thanks

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Not sure about the coconut oil, but my guess would be that it would work. I think it would also give it a great flavor 🙂 Let us know what you end up trying! – Alyssa

10. Nell

Can we see a picture of the batter after (or as and after) the dry ingredients are added to the wet? That’s usually the moment when a novice baker (or new to a particular recipe) is asking, ‘Is this how it’s supposed to look?’ I think it’s particularly appropriate when the text says that coconut flour takes up more moisture than wheat flour.

Will the batter be thick or thin? Pourable or spoon-and-spread-into-the-pan?

Can the recipe be used in bundt pans, a standard cake pan with a hole in the middle (does anyone use those anymore?) or layer pans? Any adjustments to time or temperature for that?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Niel, thanks for the comment. The batter is a little bit thicker than traditional cake batter but definitely not as thick as a muffin batter. I’d say that it’s certainly pourable.

As for the baking options, the answer is most certainly yes! I haven’t tried this in a bundt pan, but I think it would work well in a sheet pan or even round layer pans. Check out this post for more info on baking times (I slightly altered it to come up with the vanilla version). Those baking times should hold the same for this recipe! http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-coconut-cake-recipe

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Toni – that sounds like a great idea! I think it would work fine in these as long as it wasn’t too much added liquid. If it is, you might want to reduce the oil slightly or add in a tablespoon or so of coconut flour to compensate. Let us know! – Alyssa

11. Diana Emmons

I’ve been looking for recipes like this one for a couple of weeks now, and your suggestion to try coconut sugar has me wanting to do it! I am a diabetic and my husband is on a special diet for Polycystic Kidney disease so anything that is gluten free and can use a sugar substitute or a sugar lower on the glycemic scale is awesome! Thank you for sharing this. I’m thinking this would be an awesome cake to use for an upside down pineapple cake as well.

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Love the idea oft he upside pineapple cake, Diana! That sounds just marvelous. Definitely stop back and let us know how it turns out for you – I personally love coconut sugar and think it would be a great addition to the recipe 🙂 – Alyssa

12. B Dawson

Just as with “fat-free” foods, “gluten-free” doesn’t mean healthy. Sorry to be a nudge here, but there is no nutritional information accompanying this recipe. All those egg yolks raised a red flag for me so I ran the ingredients through a calculator.

These cupcakes come in at 373 calories each. The typical grocery store/box mix vanilla cupcake with no frosting runs maybe 250. This recipe also has 19 grams of fat (46% of which is saturated)- 30% of the daily recommended fat. Compare that to the typical cupcake with less than 9 grams of fat. And that’s *without* the frosting. Adding in 2T of a typical buttercream frosting adds another 100 calories and perhaps 5g – 9g of fat. Panera vanilla cupcakes with frosting are the only other ones in this league at 450 cal and 27g of fat.

Keep these yummy little devils – and they are gooood!! – to an occasional treat!

Here’s the complete rundown for this recipe (cupcake only, no frosting):
    calories 373
    Protein 4 g 7 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 5 %
    Iron 11 %

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Thanks for sharing this information! While I didn’t run the actual nutrition on each cupcake, I do believe that using less refined and natural ingredients does make them healthier (even if they are a bit higher in calories) 🙂 – Alyssa

13. Sandie

Delish! I frosted half of the cupcakes with the buttercream as is, and mixed raspberry preserves into the rest. Mmmmm!

14. Jeanette

I used birch xylitol instead of sugar when baking your GF Chocolate Coconut Cake and coconut oil in place of butter. Came out great, everyone wanted the recipe! Wondering if you could substitute something for the milk in this recipe when you need to be dairy-free?

1. PJ Hamel

Jeanette, any of the non-dairy milk substitutes should work – rice milk, almond milk, soy, cashew, etc. Glad to hear your xylitol and coconut oil substitutions went well. PJH

15. Lisa

Hi Alyssa,

I want to try this recipe to make mini cupcakes for my daughter’s b-day party. What would you recommend for cooking time for mini cupcakes?

Also, to make a dairy free frosting can I substitute coconut it for the butter in your recipe?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Lisa – I’d suggest starting at 10 to 12 minutes and seeing how they are. If they’re not quite done, keep cooking for another minute or so until a cake tester inserted into the centers come out clean. For the frosting, your best bet would be vegan butter. I don’t think coconut oil would hold up since it’s melting point is lower than butter. – Alyssa

16. Ruve

I tried this recipe today for the first time. It is absolutely yummy! I used coconut oil, coconut sugar and coconut almond milk. The only thing that I will change next time is decrease the amount of oil and slightly increase the milk. Other than that these are awesome, and that’s without any frosting.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks for sending along the tweaks, Ruve. I can’t wait to give these a try myself. ~ MJ

17. Jill

Hello!
    I tried to make these with coconut flour that I ground myself using coconut meal that I had left over from making homemade coconut milk. I dry the meal, then grind it to a fine powder. Unfortunately, I think this behaves differently than the full coconut flour because the cupcake batter was quite runny and when I baked them up, the egg separated down to the bottom of the cupcake, and the coconut floated to the top, so I ended up with a kind of flan-gone-bad situation, lol.
    Can you think of any way I could alter the recipe to use this coconut meal that I have a TON of because we go through coconut milk like crazy around here? Maybe add xanthin gum or tapioca starch to keep it emulsified?

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Jill, thanks for the comment. Yes, you’re correct in thinking that homemade coconut flour will act much differently than our packaged coconut flour. I honestly can’t say what would be the best course of action, but I think you could try adding a bit of tapioca to thicken up the batter or even reduce the egg since you don’t have the same flour. Let us know what you try!

18. alicia

I made these Friday night for a church bake sale the next day. An hour out of the oven, I taste-tried one — really, really greasy (even my adolescent kids said so). I tried one again the next morning, and they had set up beautifully — a big hit at the bake sale. I know gluten-free flours have a hard time absorbing liquid (most Cooks Illustrated GF cookie recipes call for letting the batter sit for about 30 minutes before baking), so maybe a “rest period” is beneficial. I will make these again, but always a day ahead of when I need them.

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Thanks so much for the tip Alicia! We haven’t had that trouble when we tested them, but there are a variety of factors that could have contributed. I’m thrilled that they worked for you 🙂 – Alyssa

19. Sharon Conway

Hi,

I used sugar free apple sauce instead of vegetable oil, also used coconut sugar/stevia combo replacement, used organic eggs as well;) Thanks for the recipe!! Taking them to AB Acupuncture Clinic where I work for the employees to enjoy. Also using sugar free chocolate frosting with toasted coconut chips for the topping!

Sharon, thanks for sharing your modifications to this recipe! Barb@KAF

20. Dawn

Everyone for whom I baked these has devoured these cupcakes. Could traditional modifications be made to bake this as a cake instead of as cupcakes? About a 10×10 pan?
    thanks

1. Susan Reid

At 10 cupcakes for a yield, this isn’t quite enough batter for a 9 x 13″ pan; the cake would be about 1 1/4″ tall, if it could hold itself up over that large a span without sagging in the middle. One of the reason cupcakes work well for alternate flour is the amount of support the wells of the pan give to the batter as it bakes. If it were me, I’d try making three thinner 8″ round layers and stacking them for a layer cake. Susan

21. Colene

Can I substitute ground flax seed & water for the eggs? I would like to use stevia or honey instead of sugar and coconut oil instead of butter. Would the recipe still work with these substitutions. I have not used coconut flour yet, but want to start replacing it in my recipes. I want to try established recipes using it before I start messing with mine. Thanks for any help you can give me.

We haven’t tried all those substitutions! Begin with the flax meal change. By the way, coconut flour absorbs much more liquid than wheat flour, and is typically used in one quarter the amount of wheat flour. I would suggest only doing one at a time, so if something doesn’t work, you’ll know what happened. Laurie@KAF

22. Anna

Made these cupcakes last night in preparation for a Father’s Day celebration on Saturday with my diabetic parents and substituted swerve for the sugar. They came out wonderful with only 5 carbs per cupcake (only)! My recipe yielded 12 cupcakes and then I substituted a sf frosting. Thank you for making these recipes so easily adaptable!

23. Sahara

Honestly, these were some of the best cupcakes I’ve ever made! I’ve recetly been switching over to gluten free because my husband has a gluten intolerance. As an avid baker I admit I was skeptical about gluten free baking taste-wise but let me tell you these were phenomenal! Everyone ate about 2-3, unable to hold back. Making them again for a party tonight!

24. K2

Alyssa, responding to a post I saw earlier regarding the nutritional content, gluten free baking almost always runs higher in calories. The GF cupcakes I bought in a pinch for my Mom’s birthday last year were 450 per cupcake for GF red velvet cupcakes. That’s one of the reasons I bake, I can at least make sure it’s healthy calories.

25. Jake

These cupcakes are terrible. I added the six eggs and it was so eggy and yellow. Why are there 6 eggs

1. MaryJane Robbins

Sorry to hear that you didn’t care for these, Jake. The eggs are added for moisture, and for structure as well. If you’re looking for a white cupcake, we have one online. You would need to modify it to make it GF, but it would be a good jumping off point. ~MJ

26. Jennifer Kajan

These turned out absolutely wonderful! My husband devoured 2 straight out of the oven. I love coconut flour and I love that this recipe embraces the coconut’s flavor. Very tasty!!

27. Jo

Would egg whites only work in this recipe? Are there other tweaks I should make to compensate? I usually use two whites in place of a whole egg (yolk intolerance), but I’m not too familiar with gluten free baking (just starting a wheat free diet).

28. Michael Adams

I made these for my wife and 3 year old daughter, was the first time I’ve made cupcakes of any kind and they turned out amazing. We were all shocked how good they are.
    thanks so much for posting this recipe 🙂
    Michael

29. Callie Jo

I love this recipe! And I also tried adding 7 drops of lemon essential oil and 1 drop of wild orange to the batter and 3 drops of lemon and 1 of wild orange to the frosting. It was delish:) You should try it!

30. Kayla Daughtery

Does the vanilla extract need to be gluten free for the recipe to turn out right? I’m trying to find a recipe that doesn’t end in a run to the store.

You only need to use gluten-free vanilla extract if you are baking for someone with Celiac’s disease who is sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. If no one is allergic to gluten, you can see whichever vanilla you have on hand. Be sure to check with your cupcake eaters before making your decision! Kye@KAF

31. Maria

I don’t know what did wrong, my cupcakes tastes and smells like eggs and is super oily. Was I suppose to let the batter sit for awhile? My batter wasn’t thick either.

Coconut flour absorbs 4 times it’s weight in liquid, so there will be little coconut flour for the 6 eggs and other liquids. doesn’t show the cake batter once it’s all mixed, but may provide some clues to what the baked cupcakes should look like. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

32. Dayanne

Omg so much sugar!! I wanted to make these for my 2 year old but I am afraid that’s too much sugar. Anything I can substitute or can I do 1/4 cup instead??

Sugar is a pretty large component of cake. You can try reducing the sugar by 1/4, but the cake may be drier. You could also use something like maltitol to make it sugar free. Jon@KAF

33. Erica

Wow! This recipe was incredibly easy and delicious! It was my first time making anything not from a mix, and it was my first time baking with coconut flour (I just started being wheat free this week) and it came out perfect. I had no idea I had the power to make such a delicious treat with things I had in my pantry and fridge already!! Unbelievable. The only bad thing is they are too good!! Ive already ate 6 of them and I made them yesterday!! Someone stop me!

34. Alexandra

Hi! I made these today and I don’t think they turned out like they should’ve… you can clearly see to layers in the cupcake, one is pure egg, the other is a nice, flavorful layer of cake. What could have happened? I’d love to try again.

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Alexandra,
      Sorry to hear about the outcome. This would be a good time to contact the baker’s hotline, either by phone or via email to help track down what may have happened. ~ MJ

35. Heather

I’ve got some fresh coconut flour that hasn’t been dried yet, do you think this recipe will work with fresh still wet coconut flour?

You are more than welcome to experiment with this, but we recommend adjusting the liquid accordingly. Try leaving out the 2 tablespoons of milk to compensate for the extra moisture in your fresh coconut flour, and add it in at the end only add it if the batter seems dry. Good luck and happy baking! Kye@KAF

36. Kira

omg, these were SO GOOD. Followed the directions and they turned out great! I actually used 6 tbsp of butter instead of 8, and added 2 more tbsp of milk instead. I made a cream cheese frosting with vanilla and stevia, and topped it with shredded coconut 🙂

37. Dogwouldn't eat this recipe

2/3 cup sugar , 1/2 cup flour, 6 eggs what is it a sugar omelet ? YUK This is an absolute waste that went in the garbage better go back to the drawing board and remove form the internet.

1. MaryJane Robbins

We’re sorry to hear you had difficulty with the recipe. Please don’t hesitate to contact our hotline bakers if you’d like to troubleshoot. ~ MJ

38. jamie

Just made these with coconut oil and they came out very oily for me as well. The cupcake papers were dripping with oil. I’m wondering if I should have used 1/2 cup of solid coconut oil rather than melted. Not sure.
    Everything else is great though and i don’t feel as guilty about eating fats in the form of something like coconut oil.

We’ve done some experimenting and find that reducing the solid coconut oil by 20% yields a less greasy product. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

39. Benjamin Weingarten

Hello! Great recipe . it looks moist and delicious! As I am a vegetarian, I am very much eager to do it and prepare for my family. Also I love coconut ingredients. I will surely save this as one of my most very important recipe for my family. Thanks for sharing.

40. REBECCA NORRIS

Great recipe! This was my first ever successful attempt at using coconut flour! To sweeten the flavor I added some honey and a tablespoon of Coffeemate dry vanilla caramel coffee creamer (gluten free) and then I topped them with gluten free Duncan Hines Coconut Pecan frosting and sprinkles. They are tasty…thanks!!!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi MacKenzie,
      You may want to approach the change bit by bit, rather than a full swap from the get-go. Try replacing 1/4, and then 1/2, etc. making adjustments as needed until you have a sugar/honey ratio that works out well for you. ~ MJ

41. Benjamin Weingarten

Hello! Great recipe. It looks moist and delicious! As I am a vegetarian, I am very much eager to do it and prepare for my family. Also I love to eat coconut ingredients. I will surely save this as one of my favorite recipe for my family. Thanks for sharing. To Know More: http://bit.ly/1IFgunh

42. Carol Ann

I can never make these again….they are too delicious!

After reading the other comments, I used a little less butter but you could definitely tell the bottoms were very buttery.

I used coconut milk and unsalted butter.

Made homemade cream cheese frosting.

Sprinkled a dash of coarse sea salt on them.

We loved them!

43. Bernardete

Hi Alyssa, I’m in Cape Town, South Africa, I would love to try these cup cakes with coconut flour, but I have a problem with the confectioner, or glaZing sugar! Is it icing or castor sugar?
    Thanks
    Bernardete.

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Bernardete. What we call confectioners’ sugar is your icing sugar. The white, powdery stuff, not granulated (castor). Susan

44. Candace

This is a great recipe! I can’t wait to make it for a birthday party coming up in a week. The frosting came out a bit too buttery? I’ll need more practice in that dept

Candace, buttery is the nature of this type of frosting, so it doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. For more help with your frosting skills, please give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-2253(BAKE). Barb@KAF

45. Jenny

I just made these in a small loaf pan since I wanted it to be more of a cake. From what I can tell the bottom is not oily as others have commented but then again, I used butter and VERY little avocado oil to make 1/2 cup of fat. My husband won’t stop “checking the kitchen” LoL and keeps saying how the cake looks and smells SO GOOD! So although I haven’t tasted it (and I hate reading comments about people making snide comments without ACTUALLY making the recipe) I’m calling this a win!!!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Patty,
      You can use the oil option, and then use a nut or coconut milk for the milk in the recipe. ~ MJ

46. Gina

I followed the directions as is and the batter was VERY runny. What consistency should the batter be? Any recommendations on how to thicken the batter without losing the moisture in the cupcake?

Gina, I would double check the recipe. This batter is very thick, almost like mashed potatoes. Coconut flour is extremely absorbent, so most of the recipes it’s used in will be thick, not runny. It sounds like something may have gone amiss if the batter was that runny. Bryanna@KAF

47. Kelly

Made these twice now – first time just as written but with part sugar, part erythritol. This time, I used 1/3 C sugar and the rest stevia, and also had some pumkin puree to use up so decreased eggs to 4 and added the pumpkin, upping the milk to 3 T. I loved the first time I made them (the best baked coconut flour recipe I’ve tried, and I’ve tried lots), so I’m hoping this pumpkin batch turns out okay also. Oh, and I baked the first batch in a glass baking pan (they weren’t as high as a traditional cake but still really good), and this time I put them in a glass pie dish.

48. Kelly

P.S. Just got the pumpkin version out of the oven – baked for 5 extra minutes and it’s a great slightly custard-y consistency (which I like). Yay, another winner! 🙂

49. Kelly Mei

I followed this recipe to the letter using Tresomega coconut flour, regular cow’s milk butter, full-fat milk, and white sugar. I was out of paper liners, so I sprayed my cupcake tin with Pam and baked them for 23 minutes without opening the oven at all.

The cupcakes domed slightly, but didn’t rise much. They had a fine crumb, silky texture, and were almost TOO moist and tender (they rather reminded me of those delicious cupcakes you can buy off grocery store shelves).
    They had a very strong, pronounced butter flavor and were pretty sweet, but not sickeningly so. Due to this, and how moist they were, I might decrease the butter to 75% of what the recipe called for and see how that turns out.

I’ve never bought into the “gluten-free” craze, nor am I Celiac, so I shun most gluten-free products simply because they don’t taste as good as wheat products, or the texture is off (too dry/crumbly), or both.
    But this recipe was at least a 9.5/10 for me, and easily the best cupcakes I’ve ever made! I prefer these to the boxed cake mix stuff, which are usually superior to homemade products.

This is the first coconut flour recipe I’ve used that I actually like, and I will definitely make them again! Thanks, Alyssa!

1. Kelly Mei

Missed a couple of points I meant to include.

1) The coconut flavor in these cupcakes was definitely present. Not overpowering in a “banana” kind of way, but I wouldn’t serve them to someone who dislikes coconut.

2) I got 12 cupcakes out of the recipe, and worked out the nutritional content as follows:
      Calories: 170
      Total fat: 11g (~100 cal from fat)
      Total carbohydrates: 15g
      Dietary fibers: 3g
      Sugar: 12g
      Protein: 4g

3) A look at the finished product. I can’t get over the amazing texture.

50. tiffani willis

i love baking with coconut flour! i use a tapioca/coconut flour mix usually since coconut alone can make my cakes dense. also i add a teaspoon of baking soda and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar at the end, and mix together gently – they will react to form air bubbles and make the cake more fluffy 🙂

Ialya,
      Six eggs is a lot for a traditional cupcake recipe, but this recipe uses coconut flour, which is gluten-free. That means you need to use other ingredients to help the texture stabilize and hold it together (otherwise you get a very crumbly result). The eggs act as a binder to give you a lovely fluffy cupcake, while the flavor that comes through is slightly coconuty but mostly vanilla. We hope you give it a try! Kye@KAF

51. Pat

Made them tonight using half butter plus half ghee, they rose beautiful and took them from oven just when tester came clean, no browning…. and the centers sunk although delicious flavor and moist texture (almost too much). Would like your comments whether the sinking is a result of replacing half fat amount for ghee, being this full butter fat without milk solids?

Hi Pat,
      These coconut flour cupcakes are relatively flat on the top rather than domed. They shouldn’t sink in the middle, but they won’t have much of a peak either. Try using all butter next time to see if that helps lighten them up. Butter contains some water, whereas the water molecules have been removed in ghee. Water be essential to making recipes bake correctly, as it turns into steam in the oven. Make this swap, and we think you’ll like the results. Kye@KAF

Naomi, yes, these should freeze just fine. Be sure they are fully cooled and wrapped up nice and airtight before you put them in there! Mollie@KAF

52. Kim C.

I wonder how much cocoa powder I could add to make the chocolate? I’ve made them plain before, and they turned out great, but I want a chocolate version.

This recipe may be your new best baking friend. It should yield about 10 cupcakes or muffins that bake at 350′ for 20 minutes. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

53. Melissa

Love this recipe as it’s seriously failproof! There is a small dome which is really pretty!! It didn’t sink one bit. Wish I could share the pics!

Though it doesn’t come out to be fluffy as typical cupcakes, it is soft enough to pass off as a ‘cake’ & one could fill u for bfast due to the high fiber content in coconut flour.

I did 2 batches (since the 1st one was soooo good!). First batch with 2/3 cups erythritol & second batch 1/3 erythritol+1/3 coconut sugar. It’s mixed reviews saying 1st batch is lighter & fluffier and 2nd batch is softer & less sweet… personally, I think both are good but may stick with second recipe as erythritol has the ‘cooling effect’ & is more expensive too. Also contemplating to reduce the sugars to 1/2 cup only. Butter will be reduced too as the bottom of my cupcake liners were soaked 😀

I am going to attempt to separate out 3 egg whites from the 6 whole eggs & whisk them to soft peaks. At the final stage, I will fold in the wet mixture into the egg white meringue. I’m praying this will give it a more ‘cakey’ & fluffier texture!

54. Sabrina

I just made these today. I used a mixture of xylitol and erythritol for sweetner. The taste and texture were wonderful, however they were very, very sweet. My family has been off sugar for 6 months and we don’t eat lots of sweetened items, so it’s possible that my perception of what is sweet is heightened. The next time I make these I will use 1/2 of the sweetner. I was afraid that with 6 eggs it would taste eggy, but I am happy to say that mine did not taste a bit like eggs. I would also reduce the amount of butter next time. It was a bit too buttery. Thanks for this recipe, it’s a keeper.

55. Orchid64

I made these this morning and (almost) followed the recipe as given. I chose vegetable oil over butter because it was less trouble. The only change I made was to add a 1/2 tsp. almond extract in addition to the vanilla and to make a half batch instead of a whole one (I just cut everything in half so no real change there). I sifted the coconut flour and I didn’t pack the measuring cup. I made 6 small muffins (which is one more muffin than a half batch should yield, but I wanted smaller portions).

My batter was very different than what others describe. It was quite thin – similar to pancake batter. While the muffins didn’t rise much, they came out very well with a tender crumb and were appropriately moist. Mine weren’t greasy on the bottom (maybe because of the oil?). They didn’t stick at all, but I used silicone muffin cups that I sprayed with cooking spray and put in a metal muffin tin. The muffins got gently brown around the edges and released very easily from the cups.

This is, hands down, the best coconut flour recipe of any sort I’ve ever tried. Thank you.

56. Wendy

I decreased the butter to 1/4 cup, took out the sugar, and added 1/4 maple syrup. The cupcakes came out great!

Hi Mia! A vanilla coconut flour cake sounds delicious, but we haven’t tried transforming this cupcake recipe into a cake in our test kitchen. Typically going from cupcakes to cake is just fine, but coconut flour behaves differently than regular (wheat-based) flour so we can’t guarantee you’ll have success with the first attempt. Since there’s no gluten in this recipe, the center of the cake may sink slightly. For best results, try using an 8″ pan that’s at least 2″ tall. Bake for around 35 minutes, testing for doneness using a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center. Or if you want to make a cake that uses coconut flour that’s bound to turn out well, check out our Chocolate Coconut Cake recipe. We hope this helps, and good luck! Kye@KAF

Sure, you can try that Mia. The cake will look more like a pound cake, and it might need 5-10 additional minutes to bake all the way through if you use a pan of that size. Just be sure to use a toothpick to test for doneness. It should come out clean when the cake has finished baking. Kye@KAF

57. Mia Rapaport

I really want to make this as a cake. However, I was looking at a different comment when you said to use a different recipe as a reference and didn’t understand how to do that. Could you please tell me how to make this as a cake, and the baking times for the cake? Thank you!

Mia, we hope we can make this more clear. You can bake the cake batter in an 8″ square cake pan if you want to make it into a flat layer cake. Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for cake until set, and a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. This will take 35 to 45 minutes for the loaf pan, or 30 to 35 minutes for the square pan. (Don’t forget to let the batter rest for 10 minutes before baking.) Cool the cake in the pan for 30 minutes before turning it out onto a rack to cool completely. The cake is easiest to slice when it’s completely cool. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

As the original recipe calls for, you’ll want to line your loaf pan with parchment paper and grease it for best results. Kye@KAF

We wouldn’t recommend it, Maryia. The yolk and the white of the egg contribute differently to a recipe, and especially in a gluten-free one like this that calls for so many eggs, we can safely assume that they are playing a structure-building role that would be difficult to replicate otherwise. Stick to full eggs with this one! Mollie@KAF

58. Riz

Hi
    I just had to comment and say we loved this recipe, it was super easy and very very tasty. We tried out a few with a topping of either sprinkles,dessicated coconut, sliced almonds and a few with choc chips. Was so yummy I didn’t have to make the icing, I’m so glad I found your blog. Thanks all the way from South Africa

Thanks for reaching out to let us know, Riz. We’re so glad to hear that you’re enjoying this gluten-free delight from afar. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF