Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits: Just mix, scoop, drop, and bake

If you like easy, then today’s your lucky day. Because easy is coming in the form of these tender, flaky gluten-free biscuits.

What makes them easy, you wonder?

Well, for starters there’s no cutting in cold butter. And we also don’t have to roll them out or cut them into circles before baking. Nope, we’re just going to mix, scoop, drop, and bake.

Doesn’t get much easier than that!

What I adore about these biscuits, aside from how simple they are to whip up, is their flavor and texture. Because they’re made with heavy cream, they have this glorious, rich and creamy flavor while still being exceptionally light and fluffy. They’re great for dunking into soups or stews, serving alongside your favorite pasta dish OR, with just a little sugar added, they’d be an excellent alternative to shortcake.

As I often do, I used a tried and true gluten-based biscuit recipe and adapted it to be gluten-free. I chose our Never-Fail Biscuits (how could I not with a name like that?) and I only ended up having to make a few small tweaks to the original. I swapped our gluten-free flour for the regular flour; added an egg, and also some baking powder – but the method was the same. The result was spectacular. Next up is trying these beauties with some berries mixed in!

To get started with these gluten-free biscuits, preheat your oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

In a large bowl, whisk together:

1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

In a measuring cup or another small bowl, beat together

3/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 large egg

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir together until combined.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Using a tablespoon-sized cookie scoop (you can go larger if you want, they just might have to bake a bit longer), scoop the dough onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. The dough balls will be slightly larger than a ping pong ball.

Repeat this process until no dough remains. To add flavor and a touch of color, you can brush the tops with a little cream or melted butter before baking.

How to make easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Bake the biscuits on the center rack for 10 to 12 minutes, until they’re nicely risen and baked through. Break one open to test their doneness.

Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits via @kingarthurflour

Remove the biscuits from the oven. Let them cool on the pan for a few minutes, then serve and enjoy!

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Easy Gluten-Free Biscuits.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Bernice

I made these with full fat coconut milk and the result? Delicious! Thank you for giving us back our baking powder biscuits. We sure missed them since going GF 🙂

2. Andrea Johnson

I also need to make a gluten free dessert. A family favorite has always been apple pie. I was wondering about making apple crisp using this recipe with apples and brown sugar. Any suggestions of what changes I should make?

3. Andrea Johnson

I’m just now trying to make my own gluten free biscuits and am thankful to pics with the directions. Anxious to serve them for Easter dinner at our house. I might make some tomorrow to try with coconut milk & fat. I cook with coconut oil all the time now and there is no coconut oil flavor. Do you ever all some shredded cheese to the mixture?

4. Brenda Foster

I have Fibromyalgia and have recently learned that gluten free, wheat free, sugar free & dairy free diet makes a major difference in the pain level that I was dealing with daily. I really appreciate the comments from the ladies that are using different ingredients in this recipe. I will try it with almond milk-adding a with a little apple cider vinegar and see how that works out.

5. Jenn

Made these tonight, they were the first thing that came up when I searched “gluten free drop biscuits”, they were great! Very quick, nothing fancy but then biscuits ain’t supposed to be fancy 😉 good texture, not doughy or gummy. Will have to make a double batch next time; husband smacked my rear and said “make these every week” 😀 and he doesn’t have to eat gf! May play around w a couple things to see if I can get more loft but honestly biscuits get doused with soup/stew/sauce so they do just fine. Also, didn’t have cream so I soured the milk w a tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar, and had to add a bit extra flour to compensate. Really appreciate this recipe!!

If you don’t have baking powder at home, you can make it using a combination of cream of tartar and baking soda. Sift together 1/4 cup cream of tartar and 2 tablespoons baking soda and take what you need for each recipe. Or if you want to make a smaller amount, use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar to replace 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Good luck! Kye@KAF

6. Josey

Hello,
    I am making these biscuits as we speak, but I’d like to clarify something; for the baking powder, is it 2 tsp and then 3/4 teaspoons as well?

7. New to Gluten Free

I am fairly new to gluten free and definitely benefit medically from going without.
    I have hit a point where I SERIOUSLY miss wheat flour based food.

These biscuits were “meh”, ok. Only good RIGHT out of the oven.
    They do not reheat well at all and become crumbly fast. The texture is reasonable at first but disintegrates with any storage (fridge or counter).

They ARE easy to make.

I know I am whining but right now I REALLY miss a real biscuit – but not the GI, skin or any other complications.

Alyssa suggests finding a substitute that is high in fat, Deb. Your suggestion of using butter or shortening in place of some the almond milk is interesting. I would suggest melting the butter (my choice over shortening) should you decide to experiment. Have fun and come on back with the results! Elisabeth@KAF