Gluten-Free Pizza Crust: 3 ways

One of the benefits of making your own pizza is that you have options. From the toppings you use, to the type of crust you make, and even to the style of pizza you choose – when it comes to pizza, the possibilities are endless.

As I’m sure you know, we like to test things around here. So today, instead of focusing on all the toppings you can use, we’re going to show you three different ways you can bake up our gluten-free pizza crust recipe to give you a totally different style of pie.

For those of you who’ve tried this recipe, then you know it’s a winner. But it’s usually just made thin-crust style. Ready to see what else it can do? Let’s dive in!

Thin Crust Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Gluten-free pizza: thin crust

This is how we initially created the recipe to be: crisp and perfectly chewy. Think of this more as your “traditional” pizza. We like to make it round and add loads of toppings, because truth be told, it really is the perfect base for all your favorite toppings.

If you haven’t made our gluten-free pizza crust yet, you should know that the dough is quite wet and needs to be spread with your fingers (not rolled or stretched like a traditional pizza crust). And once you’ve spread it out on the pan, the crust bakes for 8 to 10 minutes before you can add your toppings.

Sicilian Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Gluten-free pizza: Sicilian-style thick crust

If you’ve never had Sicilian-style pizza, then you’re in for a treat. It’s made in a square or rectangle, and traditionally has a thicker crust. I like to think of it as a blend between pizza and focaccia.

To make Sicilian-style pizza, I decided to go with a 9″ square pan. I figured the smaller surface area of the pan would help me get that thicker crust I was looking for; and using a pan with sides would support the crust as it baked.

How to make Sicilian Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflourIt totally worked! The only adjustment I needed to make was to increase the bake time slightly – adding 3 extra minutes.

Sicilian Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflourI love how substantial each bite of this pizza feels. The crust is fluffy and light but still chewy, and has that nice crisp bottom. This would rival a traditional Sicilian-style pizza any day!

Deep Dish Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflour

Gluten-free pizza: deep dish

While I personally have never been to Chicago to experience deep-dish pizza in the most traditional sense, I’ve always been a fan of this style of pizza. It was also the style I was most worried about re-creating, because gluten-free pizza dough is NOT like regular dough. You can’t really shape it, and you certainly can’t roll it out. This was going to be a bit of an experiment.

How to make Deep Dish Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflour

I opted for a 9″ round cake pan and decided I’d try to first spread the dough into the bottom of the pan, then push it up the sides to make it deep dish. I was pleasantly surprised that this method worked really well. I let it rise, then reshaped it a little just before baking.

Side note: make sure you grease the heck out of the sides and bottom of the pan. This baby will stick if you don’t!

Deep Dish Gluten-Free Pizza via @kingarthurflour

It also took a bit longer to bake (5 minutes, to be exact), but the result was spectacular. Just what I was hoping for: thick, chewy, and full of sauce, cheese, and pepperoni!

Please try these variations as you bake, taste, and review our recipe for Gluten-Free Pizza Crust.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez Petrópolis RJ Brazil

Nice post. One trouble i had when i baked my glúten free pizza crusts, maybe due to high level of hydration, all the times i prepared pizza crust with glúten free flour, they stretched on pan and when i tried to scrape them off, the dough breaked in a several damaged pieces. What is the secret to figure an easy to remove glúten free pizza crust from pan, minimizing the disaster of broken pieces so, i need help to obtain perfectly shaped triangles when roll my pizza cutter over the crust of this specially high hydrated dough! Can you reveal it??

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi there! I’m not sure I quite understand the question – are you having trouble with the dough sticking to the pan? Or is it that the crust is too crisp that it breaks when you try to slice it? If it’s that is sticks, I’d try using a nonstick cooking spray or more oil to grease the pan – you’re going to need more than just flour. You can also line the entire pan with parchment paper – you won’t have any sticking that way. If it’s the second issue, I’d just reduce your baking time slightly 🙂 – Alyssa

2. Ricardo Neves Gonzalez Petrópolis RJ Brazil

Excuse me Alyssa..i used The wrong word. Not stretched but sticked dough. The dough sticks a lot on The surface of pan and no way to havê a nice cutted slice. Can you help??

3. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Absolutely! Please take a look at my previous reply with my tips 🙂 Either use some more oil/cooking spray or try parchment paper to cover the pan. – Alyssa

4. Sabrina

Do not use parchment paper! I tried this and the paper adhered to the paper by the time my pizza was done cooking. I ruined an entire batch this way. Add extra olive oil or ghee to the pan to help from sticking.

Joan, if you are looking for a dairy free version, use 1 cup of your favorite non-dairy milk (slightly warmed) in place of the water and buttermilk or regular milk powder. No other adjustments need to be made to the recipe. Just be sure you aren’t using a sweetened or flavor variety as that may make your pizza taste a bit strange. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. ANITA

THE GUMS SHOULDN’T BE USED IF SOMEONE IS ALLERGIC TO MOLD, AS THE GUMS ARE MADE FROM MOLD. I USE “PSYLLIUM HUSK POWDER”, WORKS JUST THE SAME BUT WON’T MAKE YOUR GUESTS ILL. USE THE SAME AMOUNT AS THE RECIPE CALLS FOR OF THE GUMS. GOOD LUCK, AND ENJOY.

1. sarah

Hi! Just needed some clarification, are you talking about an enviromental mold allergy (like mold you get in your basement) or to mold you eat (like mushrooms)?

Debbie, although the recipe you refer to does not contain xanthan gum, the Gluten-Free Baking Mix already has xanthan gum in it. Barb@KAF

3. Nancy

I have tried many GF pizza dough recipes and this is the only one I use. The texture equates to gluten pizzas and the thickness can be adjusted simply by adjusting the size of the pan you are using. The oil in the pan is required to get that nice crisp crust. I prefer baking mine in a cast iron griddle. We thought we would have to give up good pizza crust when we went GF. However, this recipe is everything you could ask for.

4. Esther

i find it difficult to find buttermilk powder, easier for me to use actual buttermilk. Any way to make that work with this recipe?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Esther,
      Yes, you can use real buttermilk in place of buttermilk powder. The ratio is 1/4 cup of powder + 1 cup of water can be replaced by 1 cup liquid buttermilk. So, 2 tablespoons powder would be half of that, so you can replace 1/2 cup of the water in the recipe with liquid buttermilk. ~ MJ

I am not sure what you have bu the paddle or the beater attachment is what you need for this recipe. The dough hook would not work as it would not properly aerate the dough. Please take a look hereon our site for a picture of the beater. Enjoy this recipe. It is fantastic! Elisabeth@KAF

5. Bruno

Lynn Wright – Val,These pictures are soooo beaifutul!!! You are the prettiest bride I have seen since your mom! You look so elegant! I wish you and Cal all the happiness and love a couple could have.You make a Beautiful couple!!LOveGrandma Lyn

6. Shay

I love making pizza crust, that yeasty smell. Watching the dough rise. Rolling it out, watching it slowly rise in the oven. OMG!!!! Not the same as Gluten pizza, but pretty damn good. There was something missing flavor wise in the crust. But I’ll figure it out!! I am very satisfied.

7. Debra

Finally a gluten free pizza crust that measures up! I baked it in a cast iron frying pan in our pizza oven and it was very close to the real Chicago Style pizza I loved pre-gluten allergy. I used smoked gouda cheese, caramelized onions and ham. Delicious.

8. Beth Stefano

Re: type of pan for gf pizza Alyssa. You use regular baking pans but I noticed some folks recommended cast iron skillets or a griddle. What about using a pizza stone. Will that work? Thanks.

9. Judy

What are the ingredients for Measure for Measure? Not only is wheat a problem for us but also corn. Does this contain corn?

10. Becky

I need a gluten free crust I can bake in our high heat wood pizza oven. We cook directly on the bricks. Do you have a recipe that isn’t deep dish that I could use for this purpose? Thanks!

Hi Becky,
      Gluten-free crust can be a bit tricky because it’s more delicate than regular pizza dough when it’s unbaked. We recommend rolling out the crust on a piece of parchment (be sure to use a high-quality variety that can be used up to 500°F) and then placing it onto the hot stones (still on the parchment). As for a recipe, you might like using our Gluten-Free Cornmeal Crust if you like some texture in your crust, or our Almond Flour Pizza Crust may work too. The recipe featured in this blog here can also be baked in a wood pizza oven if you press or roll it out on parchment and use it to help transfer the crust to the oven. Good luck and happy baking! Kye@KAF

11. Lori C.

Hi, I just realized that I bought GF flour mix that already has xanthan gum in it. Should I still add xanthan gum, or assume that the amount in there will do the trick?
    thanks!

1. PJ Hamel

Lori, I think you’ll probably be good with the xanthan gum already in your blend. However, no guarantees, as we don’t know what you bought; and if it’s not King Arthur, we don’t know exactly what’s in it. I say give it a try, though; pizza crust doesn’t rise very much anyway, so the xanthan gum isn’t as important as it is in other applications. Good luck! PJH

12. Sherry Hobby

This is the best GF pizza crust I have tried, I made the thick crust because I wanted bread sticks, I forgot to pre-bake the crust and after I had put on all the toppings, I remembered, but it turned out fine, I just turned my oven temperature down and baked it longer. I would like to know if you have tried making one that can be rolled, I would love a calzone. Thank you, Sherry
    P. S. I forgot to say that I used Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour because that’s what I had, but I did buy some King Arthur’s baking mix but I haven’t had a chance to use it.

So glad you loved it, Sherry! We have turned this recipe into calzones, and you can find the recipe here. Note that we haven’t attempted to roll this dough but have rather separated it into individual dough balls and pressed each one out. Hope you enjoy this version just as much! Mollie@KAF