How to Make Gluten-Free Bread: 3 Tips for Bread Machine Success

If you’ve ever baked bread in a bread machine, then you know it’s easy-peasy. You just put everything into the loaf pan, choose your settings, hit start, and walk away. It’s like a slow cooker, but for bread.

But the real question is… can you make gluten-free bread in your bread machine?

At first, I was skeptical of using a bread machine for gluten-free dough, because gluten-free bread doesn’t use the same rise times as a traditional recipe. But my fears were quickly put to rest when I realized that the Zojirushi Virtuoso bread machine has a gluten-free setting built right in! How great is that!?

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

Knowing that our gluten-free sandwich bread is always a winner (it never fails me), I put it to the test using a Virtuoso. And let me tell you, with just a couple of minor changes, it didn’t disappoint! The bread was absolutely perfect. It was just the right texture, with a nice crust and a soft interior.

And the best part? All I had to do was put everything into the machine and push a button.

So for those of you who’ve been wondering if a) our gluten-free sandwich bread can be made in a bread machine; and/or b) if gluten-free bread turns out just as delicious when made in a bread machine, the answer is a resounding yes!

After baking my bread, I do have some tips for helping to ensure your bread machine yields that ultimate gluten-free loaf you’re hoping for.

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

Tip 1: Add a touch more flour.

With our first test of gluten-free sandwich bread in the bread machine using the recipe as written, it lacked the dome that we look for in good sandwich bread. The texture and taste were still there, but the loaf was fairly flat across the top. So we tweaked and tweaked and found that adding just an ounce more gluten-free flour helped us get closer to the dome shape, without compromising the bread’s texture, moistness, or flavor.

Tip 2: Add one more egg.

An extra egg helped give the bread a bit more lift. With the addition of the extra flour, we wanted to make sure the bread didn’t dry out, but adding more milk wouldn’t have helped us with structure or rise. So we added one more egg and found results perfect.

Tip 3: Let the bread cool completely before slicing.

This is so, so important. When the bread first comes out of the pan it will feel a little soft and under-baked. Have no fear; once you let it cool completely, the crust will harden and the inside will be soft and filled with perfect little air pockets. So good!

And now it’s time to bake! Here’s are some quick step-by-step instructions on how to make gluten-free bread in your bread machine.

How to make Gluten-Free Bread in a Bread Machine via @kingarthurflour

The recipe uses 4 large eggs; one of them sank beneath the milk in this photo.

Step 1: Put the liquids into the bread machine followed by the dry ingredients. Follow our recipe, but use 1 additional large egg, and an additional 1 ounce (3 tablespoons) gluten-free flour.

Step 2: Choose your bread machine’s gluten-free setting. Set the crust to medium.

Step 3: Let the machine do its thing.

Step 4: Once the bread is done baking, remove it from the pan and place it back in the machine to finish cooling (this will help keep the crust from getting overly soft and potentially leathery).

Step 5: Slice and enjoy!

OK, now that you’ve baked a loaf, how did it turn out? Do you have any tips for baking gluten-free bread in a bread machine? If so, please let us know in comments, below!

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Carol Ann

What do you mean in the bread recipe to take it out of the machine and then put it back in?

Hi Carol Ann. That’s a step we suggest with some non-gluten-free breads that need a more detailed shaping, but this recipe says down on the Tips section to make it in a bread machine to: “Use an additional 1 large egg and 1 ounce (3 tablespoons) gluten-free flour. For best results, use a bread machine that has a pre-programmed gluten-free setting.” Since it’s more batter-like than dough it would be incredibly messy and difficult to take it out and put it back. We hope this helps clear things up! Annabelle@KAF

2. Elizabeth

The reply was not helpful. @BakersHotline.. the Recipe SAYS to take the cooked bread out of the pan and back into the cooker.

Thank you for reaching out, Elizabeth and for pointing out this misunderstanding. We thought it was referring to removing the unbaked loaf, (something super common in yeasted bread machine recipes) but see now that it’s after it’s baked. You do indeed remove the loaf from the machine once it’s done to ensure it won’t stick to the pan later on, then put it back in to cool to keep the moisture nearby. Annabelle@KAF

2. Paula Barton

I am considering getting a new machine so that I can make gluten free bread. But I know that that won’t be the only type of bread that I will make. Can I use one machine for both gluten and gluten-free?

Paula, that depends on how severe of a reaction to gluten you or the people you are baking for is. For some people, the risk of a little cross-contamination isn’t very great. Perhaps they won’t have a reaction at all to a small amount of gluten, or they might feel a little bit under the weather for an hour or so. For other folks, even a little bit of cross-contamination can cause a very serious reaction. In these cases, we don’t recommend using the same machine for both gluten-free and wheat-based baking. No matter how well you clean your bread machine, you’ll never be 100% sure of getting every trace of wheat flour out. But if small amounts of cross-contamination are not problematic, go for it! Look for a machine that has both regular and gluten-free settings for the best results. Happy baking! Kat@KAF

Andrea, those are just part of the bread machine in question. We promise, the resulting loaf doesn’t have any loose parts in it! Kat@KAF

3. cla

Hi! Looking for variation ideas on the Gluten free bread mix. i’ve already substituted 1/2 C of the mix for GF oat flour and added a TB of molasses.

I’ve also substituted fine cornmeal for Anadama bread. I’ve used poppy, sesame and sunflower seeds. Other times i’ve used dill or Italian seasoning.

i often bake in tuna can tins in order to make buns.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

There are a few ancient grains that are naturally gluten-free and have wonderful flavor. Using them for a small amount of the mix, as you did with the oat flour, is a great way to change up the flavors and textures a bit without compromising the structure of the loaf.
      Amaranth Flour has an earthy, somewhat peppery flavor. Buckwheat Flour has a bold, nutty flavor. Quinoa Flour has a slight sweetness. Lastly, Teff Flour is nutty and works well both in sweet and savory loaves. To make things even easier, we have a Gluten-Free Whole Grain Flour-Blend that includes many of these and several other tasty grains we think you’ll really enjoy using in your loaves. Have fun experimenting and figuring out which flavors and textures you enjoy the most! Annabelle@KAF

Hi Jennifer! Because we don’t want any of your ingredients to go to waste, we don’t recommend making gluten-free bread in a bread machine that doesn’t have a gluten-free cycle. You could try using the bread machine to mix it up using the dough cycle and then baking it in a standard loaf pan in your oven, but because gluten-free bread dough is really more of a batter than a dough, it could be a messy process getting it out of the machine and cleaning it. Our Gluten-Free Bread and Pizza Mix is something we’ve tested many many times in a bread machine and have shared the recommend cycles on our website, so we hope this may serve as a helpful option for you. If you have any other questions, our free and friendly Baker’s Hotline is available at 855-371-BAKE (2253) or through chat and email on our website so always feel free to reach out. Kindly, Annabelle@KAF

4. Noella

I have an oyster 5545 bread maker. It does not have the gluten on the list.
    I did the basic white, which was 2 hrs and 15min.
    It was undercooked and the top still had flour mixture.
    There were 8 listed
    Small Basic
    Medium
    Large
    Rapid all sizes
    Whole wheat – small or medium
    Then the specialties
    I did add extra egg and flour.
    Recommendations.
    I used the king Arthur bread mix
    Noella

Hi Noella! On the product page for our Gluten-Free Bread and Pizza mix, there’s a link to our directions to bake it in a bread machine successfully. We hope you’ll give it a go. Annabelle@KAF

2. Noella

Thanks, but don’t know which one to use as they do not have homemade or gluten free, just the 8 I listed above

Since there’s no homemade cycle, we’d recommend calling the manufacturer of your machine to see if they have any suggestions. We haven’t worked with that brand of machine before unfortunately, but we hope they’re able to give you the advice you’re looking for! Their Breadmaker Support Line number is (800) 438-0935. Annabelle@KAF

4. Sharon Merrow

Just found your ref to the Oster bread machine. I have had Model CKSTBRTW20 since 2010, and I am about to try using the WHOLE WHEAT CYCLE for Gluten Free. On their website I asked which cycle to use, and this is their recommendation, as my machine doesn’t have the GF cycle either. Let’s see how this works!

5. Veronica Wilson

Hi. I made this bread fit the first time yesterday in my breville bread maker, using the bread machine instructions. I noticed just before it started the rise cycle that the ingredients weren’t mixed well. I used the gluten-free setting on my machine. So, I took a chance and restarted the machine, paying close attention to it while it kneaded the dough. This time I helped mix the dough halfway through the kneading. I crossed my fingers and hoped it would bake ok. It did, bread was a little dense. Also, this was my first time baking Any kind of bread and first time using my bread machine. Any recommendations? Thank you

Hi Veronica, we’re surprised to hear that the ingredients in your gluten-free bread didn’t come together well, even when using the gluten-free setting on your machine. It might help to take a closer look at the recommended order of ingredients provided by the manufacturer — sometimes it can make a difference whether the dry or wet ingredients are added first. We also think you did just the right thing by helping the dough get started in the mixing. Feel free to lift up the lid of the machine during the mixing process and take a look at what’s happening. If you need to encourage the ingredients to come together with a spatula, you can certainly do so being careful to mind the spinning paddles. You can also check out this post for more details about making gluten-free bread in a bread machine. Happy GF baking! Kye@KAF

6. Glenda Corner

My grandson cannot have wheat, eggs, nuts, or milk. I can use Ener-G egg replacement and rice milk. Has anyone else faced a similar challenge? I read that I should double the egg replacement volume. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Glenda, it can be a challenge to bake when so many ingredients are off the table, but let’s see if we can help. The milk is easy to replace: simply use your favorite non-dairy, plain, unsweetened milk. (Soy milk works well.) We typically recommend replacing the eggs in a recipe with Golden Flax Meal blended with water, but eggs are crucial to the support and structure of gluten-free baking. It’s likely that the bread would come out dense and heavy using this replacement. Instead, you might want to try using another commercial egg replacer, or perhaps trying a recipe that’s designed to be made without eggs. (We don’t currently have one on our website, but there are some provided by online bloggers, like this one.) You might also want to consider making something that’s not bread but more like a biscuit, and replacing the flour with our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour. Bread can be particularly tricky to adjust while biscuits can be more forgiving. We hope this helps! Kye@KAF