Humble Pie: The Best Simple Summer Fruit Dessert

Humble pie doesn’t sound fancy or elegant, and it’s not. But it is an everyman’s pie. No one cares if the filling leaks or the crust isn’t pleated perfectly. A leaked filling is still fantastically delicious. An imperfect, messy crust looks deliberately rustic.

Similar to a galette in shape, humble pie has a sturdy freeform crust folded up around a mound of sweetened summer fruit.

You can use any fruit you like. Buttery, flaky pie crust is the perfect foil for most summer produce, so experiment with what you find at the market.

I used peaches and blueberries here, but I’m already plotting to try strawberries, mulberries, and nectarines.

This recipe is wickedly simple. The only trick? Make sure your pie crust has no cracks, and seal it carefully along the pleats. This will prevent the filling from leaking. If it leaks anyway, don’t worry. The fruit juices that escape will bake into sweet, jammy swirls which happen to taste very good.

Here’s how to make it:

1. Make your crust

In a large bowl, mix together:

1 2/3 cups King Arthur Flour Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Cut in:

1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening

Work the fat into the dough until it’s crumbly with pea-sized lumps. In a small bowl, whisk together:

1 large egg
2 tablespoons water

Pour the egg/water mixture over your flour mixture and stir until it just begins to come together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead it lightly to bring it together into a cohesive ball. Flatten the ball into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.

Humble pie via @kingarthurflour2. Prep your filling

Choose your fruit! I used 3 medium peaches, peeled and sliced, and 2 cups of frozen blueberries. You can use fresh or frozen fruit here. If you use frozen fruit, don’t thaw it out first (this helps prevent the filling from getting mushy). Just mix it all together in a bowl with 2/3 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour. You can also use 3 tablespoons of Clearjel in place of the flour as a thickener.

Taste your fruit first. If it’s on the sweet side, dial the sugar down to 1/2 cup. If it’s very tart, use a heaping 2/3 cup.

Humble pie via @kingarthurflour

3. Roll out your dough

On a floured surface, roll your chilled dough out to a 13″ circle. Make sure that there are no cracks in your crust. If it tears, keep folding it over and rolling it out again until it’s smooth.

Humble pie via @kingarthurflour

4. Prep the pie

Transfer your crust to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Mound your fruit mixture on the center of the crust, leaving about 3″ on all sides. Gently fold the crust up around the fruit. You can either pleat the crust, as I did, or pinch it together like a traditional crimped pie crust.

Either way, be careful to seal the crust between the folds so fruit juices won’t escape.

If you want to be fancy, sprinkle some sparkling sugar or raw sugar on the crust for shine.

Humble pie via @kingarthurflour

5. Bake!

Bake the pie at 425°F for 30 to 35 minutes. Take it out as soon as the crust is golden brown and the fruit juices are bubbling.

Humble pie via @kingarthurflour

6. Share, eat, and enjoy

I highly recommend topping this pie with cold vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. I will also let you in on a secret: It is exceptionally good the next morning, eaten cold and straight from the fridge with a fork.

Try it – I won’t say a word.

Please read, bake, and review our recipe for Humble Pie.

Print just the recipe.

comments

1. Giftshopgirl

Is there a replacement for shortening? I just can’t bring myself to use it! This looks so delicious…

Here’s a recipe link for crust that uses just butter for a rustic galette or tart: bit.ly/1JqQf1p Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

2. Mia Herne

use coconut oil for the shortening . I do that with my best sugar cookies –fyi also uses cream cheese

2. MaryML

These rustic pies are my go-to dessert when company shows up. (Non-bakers are soooo easily impressed.) I usually and have pie dough in the freezer and I keep a jar of flour, sugar and spices mixed up in the cupboard to use for these. I put the fruit in the rolled out pastry and sprinkle on the dry ingredients as I go, keeping it as simple as possible. I put just a milk wash on the crust also sprinkle on (white sanding) sugar. To serve I trim up the parchment paper a little and present it on a wooded cutting board.

3. BTmom

I have made this pie numerous times over the last few years because it is my husbands favorite. Since he is diabetic I use Splenda as the sweetner so he can have it and not blow his numbers to kingdom come! This pie is easy and absolutely delicious with peaches and rasberries! This is a staple in our house. Thanks for the recipe.

4. Deb

I have been making galette’s for years but just this year experimented with both an olive oil crust and a coconut oil crust, (KA white whole wheat or pastry flour), making the whole process even easier. Wow… about 15 minutes worth of working time, then bake it and voila… an awesome, tasty, and even more healthful dessert. Also, I have been adding only one packet of Splenda to crust with wonderful results. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and maybe a dash of amaretto to filling and the sweetness of the fruit is the only “sugar” you need!

5. Juanita

I have not made this exact recipe but yesterday I made two of the peaches and raspberry version. I did use two different crust because I was afraid it would be so ugly that I would not want to take one of them to a picnic I am going to. It taste wonderful but both crust were a bit too flaky and fell apart more than I want it to. I plan to make this using more of a biscuit type dough crust and see if I can make it a bit more attractive (but not any better tasting.) What do you think of my idea?

One secret to this humble pie is to make the pastry/dough with enough liquid so it’s pliable and easy to fold. A biscuit type dough may be a bit soft. Instead of ugly think homespun, home made or rustic! Your guests will think delicious. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

Thanks for asking – Solid shortening like the Crisco you cited. Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

6. Frances Masuda

Hello,
    Saw the recipe this morning and made it this afternoon. It was soooooooo yummy!!! Will make it again soon, perhaps with peaches next time. Love your emails with recipes!! Fran

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Wonderful! So glad you enjoyed it — such a lovely vehicle for any summer fruit.

We’re happy to hear you are eager to save this recipe! Be sure to click on the link to view the actual recipe (orange link underneath the top most mouth-watering photo). Once you are viewing the full recipe, you should see the Add to My Recipes button underneath the recipe title. Happy pie baking! Kye@KAF

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Just as you would for an apple pie or galette: Slice them thinly and toss with sugar and flour as this recipe directs (I’d recommend a dash of cinnamon and a splash of lemon juice as well!). Good luck!

7. Marlene

Irene, would you please repost the link to the butter crust recipe that you provided for Giftshopgirl? The link seems incomplete. Looking forward to making and tasting this! Thanks.

8. Sally Duston

Hi. I just made a GF version of this and it was easy and delicious. I used the crust recipe you posted except substituted my own flour blend (rice, sorghum, tapioca, x gum) and used coconut oil instead of vegetable shortening. I also added 2 Tbs of plain yogurt as well as the 1 Tbs of water to the egg. The berries were fresh picked (today!) raspberries, frozen blueberries, and a half an apple, mixed with 1/3 C coconut sugar and 1 Tbs tapioca flour. The pastry was pretty easy to fold, and easy to repair when it broke, as these do. I sprinkled the top liberally with cinnamon & sugar, and we ate it warm with Haagen-Dazs’ truly great vanilla ice cream. Thanks for the inspiration! I even took a picture…

We hope to see the picture on our Facebook page or Instagram at some point because your pie sounds just delicious, Sally! We are glad you were able to make the necessary changes to make this pie gluten-free and that it still came out tasty! Success! Kye@KAF

9. Kathy

This is one of the pies offered by the town senior citizen center at Thanksgiving for sale. I called the center but no one could give me answer. It should be in some of old (<1900s) cookbooks that I haven't read. It will be on the next Thanksgiving table.

10. Wendy

I made this with the all butter crust from the link below (for the Summertime Peach Pie). It was the flakiest crust I have ever made. Many thanks to KAF for not only tasty recipes, but also great techniques and advice. My baking skills have definitely improved thanks the KAF. I made my pie with blueberries and raspberries. Will use blackberries next time.

11. Suzanna

I thought Humble pie was metaphorical- ie how to respond to tyrannical French teacher of yore! Now I can truly eat humble pie!
    Retired French teacher

12. Valerie

This has become our favorite kind of pie crust; no thick edge void of filling, and so much easier! I didn’t know it had a name. I bake mine in a regular pie pan, just fill with fruit filling, fold over the edges, dab them with milk and sprinkle with sugar, bake as usual, and… YUM!

Great question, Valerie. It’s not necessary to chill your shortening if your butter is cold. It’s easier to work into the flour if it’s at room temperature. You can always pause and put the whole bowl with all your crust ingredients right into the fridge if you feel like it’s getting warm. Otherwise, straight from the pantry is fine. Happy pie baking! Kye@KAF