Tips for Whipping Cream: Make Your Whipped Cream Take Center Stage

Light and airy as a cloud, there’s nothing quite like a spoonful of freshly whipped cream.

Whether you’re topping berries fresh from the garden or a late-night slice of pie, whipped cream you’ve made yourself is miles above store-bought non-dairy who-knows-what topping. Adding a touch of sugar or a drizzle of vanilla can gild the lily, but it’s the cool creaminess and the billowy texture that really makes homemade cream shine.

We’ll show you our tips for whipping cream to soft, medium, and stiff peaks, plus our favorite method for making stabilized (read: longer lasting) cream to use for fillings, spreads, etc. We’ll even show you what we do when things have gone a little overboard with the mixer and your cream becomes… well, we’ll get to that later.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour
Left to right: Stiff peaks, medium peaks, soft peaks

How does cream become whipped, anyway?

Whipping cream is simply a matter of incorporating tiny air bubbles into a fatty liquid. On a scientific level, the fat molecules line themselves up around the air bubbles, making them stable. The bubbles then cling to each other, forming a thick foam. A thick, ambrosial, dreamy foam.

Properly Whipped Cream via@kingarthurflour

Pick the right dairy product for your whipped cream.

While 1%, 2%, and whole milk all have varying amounts of fat in them, for a sturdy foam you’ll need whipping cream (30% to 35% fat) or heavy cream (36% minimum). Ultra-pasteurized dairy products will make a decent whipped cream, although the flavors are a little more “cooked” tasting. Standard pasteurized cream will whip up more easily and hold better peaks, so do use it if you can.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Chill, man, chill. Cold is best for whipping cream.

Because you’re relying on the fat in the cream, you need to ensure it stays in a solid, albeit microscopically solid, state. Chilling your bowl, cream, and beaters beforehand means things will stay colder longer during the whipping process. Colder cream = loftier peaks.

Using a lower speed to begin your whipping will also be helpful. The cream won’t warm too quickly and you’ll build up smaller bubbles, for a more stable foam.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Watch the cream, rather than the clock.

Just as it’s best to go with the look of your dough rather than how long it’s been in the bowl, you’ll want to keep an eye on your cream as you go along.  At first you’ll have large bubbles on the surface that are pale and thin, but soon you’ll see your whisk or beaters starting to leave trails in the bowl. This is a sign that the structure is starting to build and the cream is beginning to thicken up.

This is the time to add sugar, slowly, if you want sweetened whipped cream. Using a superfine castor sugar means it will incorporate more quickly and leave no grittiness. Confectioners’ sugar is another easy to incorporate sugar, and the cornstarch it contains can add some stabilization.  Vanilla and other flavorings can be gently stirred in at the end of whipping.

Once you hit this stage, you can increase the speed on your mixer to medium-high. While you could do high if you’re in a big hurry (gimme pie now!), using medium-high speed will give you better control, and you won’t over-beat your cream.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Soft whipped cream: stage 1 of whipping cream.

When your trails through the cream start to build up and overlap each other, you’re at the soft peak stage. If you scoop up a spoonful of cream, it will be slightly less stiff than sour cream.

Soft peaks come and go rather quickly, with medium peaks hard on their heels.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Medium peaks: stage 2 of whipping cream.

When many of us think of whipped cream, we’re picturing it at the medium-peak stage. Beyond flowing soft mounds, but not yet stiff firm mountains, either. We want our dollop to have a pointy top, but a base that drapes around berries like a drift of snow.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Drifts of snow you’ll want to eat with a big, big spoon.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Stiff peaks for folding: stage 3 of whipping cream.

When a recipe calls for folding in cream, stiff peaks is often where you want to go. The cream will be thick and spreadable, almost like the icing for a cake. The volume will have just about doubled, and the cream will cling to the beaters.

Take care! Be sure to stop as soon as you’ve reached this stage, for ahead lies disaster.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

When you’ve gone too far: stage 4 of whipping cream.

Take a look at the bowl above. See how there’s an open spot in the middle, with much of the cream clinging to the sides of the bowl? This is a HUGE sign that you’re headed for the land of no return for your cream. The fat has been so coagulated that the air is forced out and your lofty cream will begin to deflate.

If you catch this early, you may be able to salvage it by adding a few more tablespoons of cream and gently, by hand preferably, combining it with the thick cream to smooth it out some. You won’t get back the same light cream you had, but all won’t be lost.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

That’s not whipped cream, that’s butter: stage 5 and beyond.

With a heavy sigh you realize you’ve over-whipped your cream and it’s turned to… butter. While it’s not really going to be great on top of your berries, all’s not lost. Toss in a pinch of salt, perhaps some lemon or orange zest, and you have a gourmet butter to spread on your next fresh-baked bread.

Why not save it in the fridge, too, and add some to your next sweet dough?

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

What does it mean to “stabilize” whipped cream?

By adding a thickener, a starch, or additional fat, you can make whipped cream that stands up taller, spreads more like icing, and doesn’t melt or weep as quickly.

The whipped cream you get in restaurants is often stabilized to help busy chefs turn out desserts ahead of time, or to assist with serving pillowy, creamy desserts in higher heat situations.

For home bakers, the advantage of stabilized cream is that you can make it ahead of time and stash it in the fridge until you are ready to serve, or top a pie that needs to travel to its final destination. As long as you keep it cool, your cream will last at least 24 hours without deflating.

We’ll show you one of our favorite methods for stabilizing here, to start the discussion off.

Instant Clearjel is a modified food starch made from corn that thickens instantly when it comes into contact with liquid. By mixing a small amount in with the sugar for your whipped cream, you can sweeten and strengthen the cream at the same time.

Here we’ve used 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel with 2 cups heavy cream.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

Following the same beating method, you can see that the cream is smooth and thick, holding up nicely on the spatula.

How To Properly Whip Cream via@kingarthurflour

And a spatula drawn through the cream leaves distinct folds and curves. All in all, a great choice if you want your whipped cream to be more frosting-like than cloud-like. This stabilized whipped cream is excellent for piping atop pies and cakes as well.

Properly Whipped Cream via@kingarthurflour

We hope these tips will help you achieve the cream of your dreams. Delicate and satiny, soft and soothing.

We mentioned that there are several different ways to stabilize whipped cream. We hope you’ll share your experiences and methods in the comments below. Have a real winner, a foolproof method? Please share! Come across a real flop? Save your fellow bakers from the same fate. The more we share, the more we grow as bakers.

Special thanks to KAF media specialist Julia Reed for the photos illustrating this post.

MaryJane Robbins

MaryJane Robbins grew up in Massachusetts and moved to Vermont 20 years ago. After teaching young children for 15 years, she changed careers and joined King Arthur Flour in 2005. MaryJane began working on King Arthur Flour’s baker’s hotline in 2006, and the blog team ...

comments

1. Michelle from Freeville

I read a great tip once about using marshmallow fluff to stabilize and sweeten. I use about 1 cup for every quart of cream and start with it in the bowl with the liquid cream. The only drawback is all the splashing until it incorporates! I drape a dishtowel over the top of my mixer and bowl to contain the mess. The results are great, especially for summertime.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Michelle,
      Yes, the marshmallow trick is one I’ll be adding to my list to try. You can definitely see in some of the photos that we had our share of splashing on this photo shoot, we just mopped it up a lot. 😉 ~ MJ

2. Elza Bester

Hi Mary Jane,
    Instant Clearjel is as far as l know not available my country, South Africa. We only have cornflour. Is there a way cornflour can be utilize and if so, how should it be prepared before it is added to the cream? Thank you very much
    Elza Bester, Cape Town.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Elza,

Do you have access to unflavored gelatin? Gelatin is a good stabilizer for many things, including cream. You can sprinkle about 1/2 teaspoon over the cream before you begin whipping. ~ MJ

2. Kit Hope

Elza, I believe what you call cornflour is what we call cornstarch in the US. There’s a little bit of cornstarch in our confectioner’s sugar so it adds a bit of stability to whipped cream.

3. GrannyCake

I always use a bit of gelatin in my whipped cream. It’s especially nice in parfaits and pie toppings—keeps the cream from getting loose and sloppy later. It is flavorless and the only thing it does is stabilize the cream.
      Here’s how I’ve done it for years:

1 tsp Plain Powdered Gelatin (from an envelope of plain gelatin)
      1 and 1/2 TBS Cold Water
      1 and 1/2 TBS Boiling Water

Let the gelatin sit in the cold water for five minutes. This is called “blooming.”
      Add the boiling water to the gelatin and stir until completely dissolved.
      Add immediately to whipping cream (no need to let it cool) that is almost completely whipped and continue whipping until totally whipped.
      This is enough for 2 cups heavy cream (measured before whipping), with sugar and vanilla added to taste.
      Note: Just sprinkling powdered gelatin is a time-saver but I have heard that it might cause grainy gelatin lumps in your whipped cream. I’ve never tried it, though, because this recipe works perfectly every time.
      Hope this helps!

Thanks for adding your whipped cream wisdom to the conversation as well! Gelatin is a versatile ingredient that can be the secret to making many desserts stand the test of time. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

3. Sally Whiteneck

What a great tutorial! I usually have good results in making whipped cream, but have done so rather haphazardly. I look forward to my next batch so I can try chilling the bowl and beater and approaching the whole process at a slower pace. I nearly always sweeten my cream with powdered sugar and find that it keeps for several days in the refrigerator without deflating and will continue to do so! I love KAF–thanks for the helpful tutorial!

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Sally,
      Glad to hear you enjoyed the post. Viva la creme! ~ MJ

4. Quinn

I haven’t made whipped cream in donkey’s years, but I grew up making whipped cream using a handcrank eggbeater. A splash of vanilla, and I think some sugar? Wish I could remember. Sunday dinner desserts of cream puffs (oh my gosh, were they ever good!) or glorious strawberry shortcake…even a simple yellow cake with a dusting of confectioner’s sugar and then split, with a dollop of whipped cream in the middle…oh my. I’m glad you brought this up! Maybe I need to dust off my eggbeater.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

This is what we mostly use at our house. I have a lovely old one I found at a yard sale, with the Bakelite handle. It’s a kitchen treasure. ~ MJ

5. Linda Drews

What timing! I purchased a quart of heavy whipping cream this week which would not pour out of the carton. In fact I cut into the carton to dig out the contents which had sealed the liquid below. It has no odor, it has no sour taste. I assumed it had “separated” though I don’t really know what that looks like. I called the company 800 number and was told they would reimburse me for the cream so the check is in the mail, so to speak. (Good customer service but clearly the young man on the phone knew less about the product than I did sooo…) I haven’t tossed it yet and I’m really curious.

The web says absolutely everything: “It’s just fine” – “Throw it out” – “No odor, no problem” – “When in doubt, toss it out” – “I’ve never seen that” – “Happens to me all the time”. Something in my thrifty soul won’t let me toss it without a definitive answer, so I froze it– I saw you could do that on the web as well. What do you think? If it’s not sour, could it be that the butter fat just separated and solidified? Would you toss it out or use it, like say, for cream biscuits?

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Linda,
      That is a dilemma. No one wants to waste food, but then again, no one likes to be sick either. I have a compromised immune system, so I’d be on the side of tossing it to be safe. ~ MJ

2. Jean Arno

Our Jersey cow gives us very heavy thick cream just like you described. It whips very easily and quickly into butter, as long as it is kept very cold while whipping.

3. Christine

I would cook with it. Cream biscuits being at the top of the list. I often use cream that’s “on the edge” for biscuits, with fantastic results.

4. Diana

Linda-
      I know I may just be adding to the cacophony, but I’ve had that happen a bunch (it’s why the carton says shake well). I generally just shake to recombine and use as long as it doesn’t smell funky. I haven’t had luck with freezing cream though-that has always forced it to separate and be un-recombinable. It does make great butter at that point though!
      Good luck!

5. Lalise

Linda,

This happens to me once in a while. The Cream is perfectly safe as long as it smells fine/tastes fine. It is usually caused by being kept in to cold of temperature while being shipped. Just think “Iced Cream” lol.

6. Diane from Oak Lawn

Thanks for explaining the difference between whipped cream & heavy cream. The difference being the butterfat content. Thought the two names were interchangeable.
    Keep up the great work. I always am learning something helpful & new.

7. Gale Gallagher

I have a favorite icing for cake that call for 1 container of Cool Whip. I would prefer to make my own whipped cream. The problem is that I don’t know how much cream to use. Would the amounts mentioned in your column equal a container of Cool Whip?

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Gale,
      Funny, my first thought was “I have no idea how much is in a container of Cool Whip!”. So, it looks like a standard container is 8 ounces by weight. I don’t know the volume though. I think this measure should help you get started though: 1/2 pint heavy cream = 1 cup heavy cream = 2 cups whipped cream . ~ MJ

8. Linda Inness

I have always used unflavored gelatin to stabilize whipped cream for toppings – especially pies that will not be finished at one time and will require refrigeration in order not to spoil. I had not thought of clear jel and have some in the pantry. I will definitely be trying that next time. By the way, I was taught to dissolve the unflavored gelatin in a little cold water and add slowly to the cream a it begins to hold its shape. I hadn’t tried sprinkling it on dry as I thought it might not be distributed evenly. That makes it easier than my method of dissolving first.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

I’ve done the gelatin both ways, Linda, and if you are good about sprinkling the gelatin very thinly, you shouldn’t run into lumps. Of course, for special occasions, it’s best to go with the dissolving to be really, really sure. ~ MJ

9. Carolyn

I use instant skim milk powder as a stabilizer – 1 tbsp per 1 cup of whipping cream – add as it’s being whipped. I learned that tip from Canadian baking guru Anna Olson. It works like a charm every time. I have some instant clear gel and I’m going to try that for the whipped cream I need for tonight’s blueberry pie!

10. kitsia

I use clear piping gel (from Wilton or other suppliers) to stabilize my whipped cream, and that works well enough that I can ice a cake with it, and even pipe a border with it. I love topping cakes with whipped cream – makes for a lighter-tasting cake than buttercream. I will definitely try the ClearJel for stabilizing some time too. Great tutorial – thank you for posting this!

11. Chester

1 pint whipping cream
    2 tablespoons dry vanilla instant pudding mix ( fold over paper envelope it comes in and keep for future use (1 box does about 3 batches of whipped)
    1 teaspoon powdered sugar, more to taste for sweetened whipped cream 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

This will keep for a week if your whipping cream has a good shelf life.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi Chester,
      I’ve seen others mention the dry vanilla pudding route, but some folks say it turns yellowish and too thick? Can you share your thoughts on this with the class? ~ MJ

12. Marilyn Rauchberg

I have searched every market for heavy cream that is NOT ultra-pasteurized, but so far, no luck. Any suggestions?

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

I know, it’s getting harder and harder to find regular pasteurized cream. Try a specialty shop or food co-op, those are places I’d had luck. If you have a farm/ diary, that’s a great place to get products too. ~ MJ

2. Jennifer

If you can find it Snowville Creamery does regular pasteurization on all their products including Whipping Cream. Just be aware they currently only sell it in Half gallons. (and it is prone to sell out quickly)

3. MaryJane Robbins, post author

OH my! 1/2 gallon of whipping cream? That sounds like both heaven and well… you know. Mmmmm! ~ MJ

13. Maureen Zadany

I read the inquiry concerning substituting whipped cream for Cool Whip. Here is a decades old favorite for chocolate whipped cream frosting…just delete the cocoa.

CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM

Combine:

½ cup granulated sugar

¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa

1/8 teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon vanilla

1-1/2 cup whipping cream

Chill for 1 hour.

Chill beaters.

Beat until thick.

Makes 3 cups.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Thank you so much for sharing this. Plus it gives us the chocolate version too! ~ MJ

14. Joan Nerviano

I like to add an 8oz. Container of mascarpone cheese: whip it till light, then pour in 16-24ounces of cream, a big splash of vanilla paste and whip till fluffy and wonderful. Comes out a little thicker and holdsup really well.

1. Kalisa

Seconding this! One of my best-received icing recipes is a whipped cream/mascarpone blend. It whips up light and gorgeous and people aren’t expecting it on a cupcake!

15. Michele Rice

I often see instructions to “whip the cream until it is stiff but not dry.” I have no idea how to tell when the peaks get “dry.” What does that mean?

Stiff = the peaks stand up or form bird beaks. Dry = mixture starts to crumble and separate. We hope this helps – Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

16. Helen S. Fletcher

As the owner of an upscale wholesale bakery for 23 years and currently the pastry chef at a 4 star 4 diamond restaurant, I never stabilized whipped cream with anything If you use 40% or heavy cream which is higher in butterfat than regular whipped cream you will not need a stabilizer if whipped to the right degree.

The cream would not weep if held for days, it could be used for frosting a cake and it froze perfectly with no change when thawed. I found weeping is caused by under beating or overbeating the cream. Adding a stabalizer other than gelatin which is tricky, clouds the pure taste of the cream so we never used one. We never had a restaurant. caterer or hotel complain about the cream.

I agree that pasteurized cream has a slightly different taste than cream that is not but if vanilla or a flavoring is added it generally is not detectable. Like you, I prefer the unpasteurized.

Please see my blog http://pastrieslikeapro.com/?s=Salvaging+overwh+ipped+cream#.VavtgWAaCEN where I talk about an employee who discovered how to save over whipped cream as long as it hasn’t reached the butter stage yet.

I enjoy your blog very much.

1. Annette Shaw

I am also a professional baker, for over 50 years, trained in France, now retired. It is my experience that most commercial heavy cream has a natural stabilizer already added unless you purchase high fat content cream from a private local organic dairy who probably wouldn’t add anything. This is the best cream if you can find it.
      The easiest way for a home baker to stabilize whipping cream is to add a tsp of instant powdered milk for every cup of un-whipped cream. It melts into the cream easily and adds no flavor of any kind.
      I do agree that it is not necessary to stabilize cream if you are serving it within a couple of hours but if you need to keep it refrigerated for more than that or overnight, it is best to stabilize it. The reason to stabilize cream for whipping is to make it firmer and give it a longer shelf life. Because it is firmer It holds up better if you are using it as a filling for a cake, cake roll, pastry, etc.
      If you think you have over whipped your cream but not yet reached the butter stage, add 2-3 Tbls. unwhipped cream to your bowl and gently incorporate it into the over whipped cream. It will loosen the texture making it smooth again.

17. Gayle

Great post! I’ve wondered for years how to make whipped cream in advance so it will stay fresh and keep its shape in the ‘frig.–and how long it will keep that way. I’ve never known about stabilizers, so I’m going to give them a try. Then hopefully I can quit buying those fake-tasting aerosol cans of “whipped topping. Thanks!”

You are so welcome, Amy! We hope you make up a fresh batch of whipped cream to top your next baking masterpiece. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

18. Karen

I use whipped cream a lot because I make cream pies and use that for the topping. Until I purchased the whipped cream stabilizer from King Arthur, it did not stand up well after the first day. I LOVE the stabilizer. I have not had any trouble, even after a few days in the fridge on a pie, it holds up great.

We’re so glad to hear that you have had such great success using our whipped cream stabilizer. It’s the secret weapon for making your cream hold up all through the hot weather. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

19. Ella Jensen

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Are there any stores here who carry your flour, etc.?
    Do you still mail out a newsletter (?) that has hints, tips and recipes sometimes?
    What is the cost, if any, to mail for home delivery ?
    This site is absolutely a must for anybody who wants a clear understanding of baking and have
    Questions answered to satisfaction. You are the BEST.
    EJ.

Hi Ella, we are happy to hear you are eager to get connected with King Arthur Flour! We don’t currently have any stores in Canada that carry our products, but we are able to ship to Canada for an additional international shipping fee of $18. (Got some baking friends who would like to place an order with you and help split the cost? That can work!) We would be happy to send you our email newsletter, which includes recipes, tips, and special promotions from us. Signing up is quick and easy here: http://bit.ly/1fTzJNo Happy baking! Kye@KAF

20. Lynn Davis

Hi Mary Jane,
    Having a dinner party for 25. I would like to serve Blueberries and cream for dessert at 7:30PM.(because I cannot figure out a way to serve ice cream) How early in the day can I make the cream? Which additive(s) would you choose for this job?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    You can whip the cream in the morning and it will stay for 24 hours. We used 1/4 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel with 2 cups heavy cream. This will keep the cream stabilized and ready to use in the evening. Have a great party!! JoAnn@KAF

21. Donna S. Woolf

I use a product called Whip it by Dr. Oethker. It is not always easy to find. I buy it on Amazon and can find it in a few specialty stores. Works like a charm.

22. Barbara Malewka

Yea!!! Someone else is trying to find only Pasteurized cream. What is wrong with these folks???
    Even Whole Foods and Sprouts carry mostly the Ultra pasteurized junk. I have found the non-ultra pasteurized cream, but must also check to see that there are no other additives. I think it is time to start a Movement!!!! With the evolving move toward more natural products, it would seen like dairies would be part of the voice behind less processing.
    I have a home delivery of Dairy products, but their cream is only 36% butterfat. I would like to find a source for 40%, batch pasteurized cream, but that is very hard to find. For many applications, this is the preferred butterfat percentage.
    Thanks for a great tutorial and pictures.

We are happy to hear that you are a “Real Food” supporter. When it comes to baking, real ingredients that are of high-quality (which usually corresponds to higher fat) make all the difference. We bet your whipped cream is delicious. Happy baking and good luck in the search for real ingredients! Kye@KAF

23. D Grabon

Can’t wait to try these whip cream hints. You have made me very hungry and also brought back some great memories of before aerosol cans!

24. Margy

Just FYI, Trader Joe’s sells shelf stable whipping cream in a carton. I prefer fresh cream from our local dairy, but is has been a life lifesaver for me on occasion when I need cream and don’t have any fresh on hand.

25. sonja

I always make my whipped cream in a food processor. You don’t get the volume you get with a beater, but I prefer the slightly denser, richer texture, and it is super easy and fast. No worries about chiling anything, and you get fool-proof, consistent results. Just pour 1-2 cups of cream, add anything you want, and turn it on, and in less than 30 seconds you have it. With just a little powdered sugar it holds up exceptionally well (I’ve had it in the fridge for 3-4 days without it breaking) so I rarely need to add any gelatin, and I can even frost a multiple layer chiffon cake with it.

Mmmm…dense spreadable cream? We bet a thin layer of this cream atop a rich chocolate cake would be just heavenly. Thanks for sharing and happy whipping! Kye@KAF

26. Kalisa

What a thought tank of whipped cream tips and tricks! These are all great and I will have to try out all the thickening and stabilizing ideas here.

You may use either super fine or powdered sugar. Granulated sugar may not dissolve as quickly. Elisabeth@KAF

28. KayZee

Did you use 1/4 cup granulated or powdered sugar in the Instant ClearJel stabilized whipped cream recipe? Thanks.

1. MaryJane Robbins, post author

Hi KayZee,
      Yes, you still use the sugar as well as the ClearJel for stabilizing. You can see the sugar in the picture with the powder on top. ~ MJ

29. Susan Lawrence

Thanks for the recipe for Cool Whip substitute. I have an allergy to palm oil and so many recipes call for Cool Whip!

30. Sherrill Gustavson

I wrote in few days ago asking about “weeping meringue”. You suggested a receipe using meringue powder. I’m here to tell you the receipe was great and a big hit. It beat up so well and browned nicely. I even got up during the nite to see if it had started to weep or shrink. Thanks ever so much.

The image of you sneaking into a dark kitchen late at night to peak on your meringue has us smiling! We’re so glad to hear you had meringue success! Kye@KAF

31. Tonia

Hi great post, thanks for sharing. I live in the tropics, very warm and humid, the last two times I tried whipping cream it went runny and kind of curdly, like separated. The cream didn’t seem to over thicken, so not sure if I over beat it or if it got too warm. However I noticed you say to start off slow, so will try this next time, hopefully third time lucky.
    Thanks.

32. Tina

I was wondering how long whip cream and marscapone frosted on a cake would last at room temperature. I need to make a cake for a dessert table at a shower and the cake will be on the table for a couple of hours. Thanks!

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Tina. If taken straight from refrigeration, you have 4 hours at room temperature before the frosting enters what would be considered “potentially hazardous” territory.

33. sandy

I have used the KAF Whipped Cream Stabilizer product for years. I often make whipped cream frosting (just cream, stabilizer, sugar and vanilla) and have never had a “weeping out” problem. The frosting stays nice as long as the cake is around (although we do tend to eat them up quickly).

34. DaChay

When a recipe calls for 2 cups whipping cream, do you measure it before it is whipped or after, as I know it doubles in volumn when whipped? It is to be folded into pudding.

If the ingredient list states “2 cups whipping cream” – this means the liquid before it’s whipped. Perhaps the instructions for the recipe can also act as a guide – especially if it states in one of the steps to whip the cream. “2 cups cream, whipped” in the ingredient list would imply the cream is whipped before using in the recipe. Again, read through the instructions for more guidance. Happy Baking, er, whipping! Irene@KAF

35. Bea

Is KAF going to bring back their stabilizer by chance? It was perfect and nothing compared to it. PLEASE BRING IT BACK!

I do not think we are going to bring back the stabilizer, but I will pass on your comment. JoAnn@KAF

36. Becky

In the meantime, in some grocery stores there is a whipped cream stabilizer additive that comes in a double packet that works very well IF you want sweetened and stabilized whipped cream. It is Dr. Oetker Whip It. Ingredients: Dextrose, modified corn starch, tricalcium phosphate
    I thought it was primarily a Canadian product, although I have found it at Wegmans. It is also available online at Amazon.

37. Brisa

Hello, I am planning to make a layer cake and fill/frost it with stabilized whipped cream. I plan to add an edible image/sugar sheet to the top of the cake. Could you offer some parameters on how to best achieve this? I have information on attaching the sugar sheet to buttercream (attach image to freshly frosted cake; not more than 6 hours ahead of serving) and regular whipped cream frosting (frost cake up to 6 hours in advance and refrigerate, but attach sugar sheet no more than 30 minutes prior to serving) but not for STABILIZED whipped cream. Can I frost and attach the sheet ahead of serving? Should I attach the sheet to a freshly frosted cake or one that has been refrigerated for a few hours? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would recommend frosting cake in advance (6 hours), refrigerate and attach the image just before serving. Good luck! Elisabeth@KAF

38. Camille

I love to make homemade pumpkin pie with homemade whipped cream but by the time my family gets over to have some, the whipped cream has weeped. This last time I added cooked gelatin and it firmed up nicely but I needed to keep it nice for a few days while my family dawdled in to have some. So I put Saran Wrap on a cookie sheep and placed individual sized dollops of the whipped cream on it and then froze it. When frozen I peeled the dollops off and put them all in a freezer bag together and I told the family to call me a half hour before coming for pie. Wnen i knew they were on their way over, I then cut the pie and plopped a frozen dollop of whipped cream on it and by the time they were here the whipped cream had melted, without weeping, and it tasted like I had just whipped the whipped cream… Yeaaaa for me!!

Brilliant! That’s problem solving and happy baking at it’s finest. Irene@KAF

39. Paul Espeut

I had an issue. I was making frosting for a cake but my whipping cream was frozen. I took it out for a bit and after it thawed, it wouldn’t form peaks when beaten. I chilled the beaters, the bowl and the cream. Tried adding cornstarch and powdered sugar to no avail. Question is why wouldn’t it set and what could i have done to get the fluffiness I required?

Paul, the structure of dairy tends to change after it’s been frozen. You can freeze it, but the fat will separate from the liquid and it tends to not come back together well, it gets slightly grainy. You’d have to add a touch of sugar to help smooth it back out, but it’s not ideal. Bryanna@KAF

40. kris

So im afraid i may have ruined my whipped frosting. I whipped the cream approximately stage 3-4 (probably closer to 4) but i forgot to use a stabilizer. I intended to add cornstarch. I wanted to use the whipped cream for piping on a cake. Am i still able add cornstarch to thicken it even though its already whipped?

Kris, unfortunately you can’t really add anything at the end of the process to stabilize the whipped cream. Barb@KAF

41. Denise

I used to purchase a product called Bavarian whipping cream. I am no longer able to find it. I believe it may have been a sweetened whipping cream, possibly with some vanilla, that you whipped as any whipping cream. Do you know the recipe for homemade Bavarian whipping cream?

Denise, Bavarian cream is similar to pastry cream and is sometimes flavored with liqueur. It is typically lightened with whipped cream before it’s left to set to give it a bit of an air-y texture. While we don’t have a recipe for Bavarian cream, you could simply try folding whipped cream into a liqueur-flavored pastry cream, or you can try using a recipe for traditional Bavarian cream. There’s a tasty one Food52 that also has a rhubarb compote to accompany it — feel free to include it or not. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

42. Charlene Mcdonald Mcdonald

In making a wedding cake and want a strawberry and whip cream filling. can i mix a can of strawberry pie filling with whip-cream for the filling ?

Strawberry whipped cream can be both delicious and elegant, Charlene, but you’ll want to take care not to use too much strawberry pie filling or else you may end up with a filling that’s too runny. Adding some strawberry flavor (http://bit.ly/2d5qGPh) may also help boost the flavor without thinning the whipped cream too much. It may take several tries to get this right, so we’d definitely suggest allowing time to experiment with this ahead of time, starting by folding your stabilized whipped cream into a small amount of filling (say 2-4 Tbsp filling to 1 quart of cream) and adding Strawberry Flavor to taste. Best of luck! Mollie@KAF

43. Serena Yeo

Hi, would like to know do i need to beat the whipped cream again when take out from fridge after a day or two . TQ

Yes, re-whipping the cream helps bring it back to life after its been in the fridge. Just be sure not to over-beat, as this can make butter out of your cream. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

44. Genesis

Story time: I needed whipped cream to use as icing stat, but did not have enough time to order the jel, so I perused the comments, and decided to use clear, flavorless gelatine to make the whipped cream more stabilized.

I found a comment that mentioned putting cold water, then hot, on the gelatine. I did this, but the gelatine did not melt all the way, due to it having been in the cold for 5 minutes, and as I was trying to make it melt, it gave off the most awful smell!!! I know what gelatine is made of, but WOW, was not expecting the stench!

I was running short on time, so I went ahead, melted the gelatine as best I could, and mixed it into the whipping cream right before reaching peaks.

This method DID yield whipped cream that spread and held like icing on the cake, BUT there were a good amount of gelatine pieces left behind. If I ever try this method again, I will go for hot water from the get go, and see if there’s any trace of gelatine left in the final product.

ALSO, I did see strings of gelatine on my whisk when I removed them, so perhaps, even when the gelatine is melted, there’s a reaction that causes it to harden in the cold heavy whipping cream?

1. PJ Hamel

Hi — Were you using gelatin powder (vs. sheet gelatin)? The powder should have softened in the cold water, then totally dissolved in the hot, so I’m not sure what happened. We use Knox gelatin powder in the test kitchen, and always get good results. I’d suggest using Knox gelatin powder next time; and if that’s what you used this time, I confess I have no idea what to tell you! Other than to soften in cold water long enough that it’s really not granular anymore, but just kind of thick and “clumpy.” And then whisk in whatever hot liquid you’re using, until it’s totally dissolved. Good luck – PJH

Great question! While we haven’t tried this method before, we think adding about 2-3 teaspoons of instant pudding to the sugar before adding it to the smooth, thickened cream will work well. You can sprinkle more into the cream to thicken it further, but start with a small amount to ensure the cream stays light and fluffy. Kye@KAF

2. taren ross

I used the pudding all the time to make a filling. I use a small box of french vanilla, I make it with only half the milk, though I usually use 1/2 and 1/2. Once it is mixed I dump it in almost whipped cream. Try not to let it get too set or it can make lumps. I call it custard cream and people go crazy over it. I don’t tell them what is in it, family secret!!! I also whip it into more barely whipped cream and make a custard sauce that is awesome. I am actually making it tomorrow for Christmas eve yule log. It is firm enough to slice the log without all of it oozing out. Great stuff, but keep it to yourself!

45. Loren

I have some questions for a 25th birthday cake. My daughter has requested a white cake with sweetened, macerated strawberries and whipped cream between the layers (there will be 3 layers) and overall whipped cream as the frosting. I will be making the cake ahead and freezing the layers. She lives an hour away so it will be transported.

1. Can I whip and stabilize the cream at my house and transport it to her house and assemble the cake there? Would the cream still be ok with no weeping?
    2. I always use a crumb coat with buttercream, but can I use something as a crumb coat with whipped cream frosting? If yes, what? Will the whipped cream slide off a crumb-coated cake?
    3. I would prefer to assemble the cake at my house that morning. Is this an option?
    – Would the cake layers slide off?
    – Would the cream start to weep?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Loren. Best thing to do in this instance is to use a little bit of Instant ClearJel in the sugar you use to sweeten the whipped cream with. For a 3-layer cake you’ll want 2 to 3 cups of heavy cream before whipping. Combine 2 tablespoons of granulated or superfine sugar (more or less to your taste) and 1/2 teaspoon Instant ClearJel. Whip the cream to soft peaks, add the sugar/ClearJel mixture, and whip until medium peaks form. After your layers are completely cool, fill, stack, and crumb coat the cake using the stabilized whipped cream. Refrigerate for 20 minutes, frost with your finish coat, then freeze the whole, finished cake (I assume strawberries are happening at the time the cake is served). You can make the cake a full day or two ahead this way. The ClearJel will keep the whipped cream from separating or weeping, and help any piping hold its shape. If you like, you can certainly bake the layers the day before and finish the cake the morning before you take it to its destination. Susan

46. adir

I want to try out the fresh cream i bought,its only 100g but has 30% fat,can i frost a small round cake with it?
    And can i add both gelatin and instant milk powder for stabilizing and how much?
    Also how much sugar,i only want it to be slightly sweet

1. Susan Reid

The amount of cream you have is slightly less than 1/2 cup. Cream doubles in volume when whipped, so depending on the size of your layers you may just barely have enough. I would add no more than 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin dissolved in 2 teaspoons of warm water to that amount. Milk powder isn’t necessary. For sugar, 1 teaspoon of granulated is about right. You can dissolve it in the same warm water as the gelatin before adding it to the unwhipped cream. Susan

Sam, it’s difficult to make whipped cream stiff enough to hold the shape of the roses; they tend to melt even if you add quite a bit of whipped cream stabilizer. Instead, we recommend using a Classic Buttercream Frosting recipe with some shortening added to it to ensure your roses last long enough for others to appreciate them. Good luck! Kye@KAF

47. Anita

I agree with the recommendation for Dr. Oetker’s Whip It to stabilize whipped cream. You can get nice, stable whipped cream with very little sugar to fill or top cakes with whipped cream German or Austrian style, and the leftovers are perfect in the fridge for a couple of days without having the whipped cream weeping into the cake. My German sister-in-law used to ship it to me (“Sahne Steif”) before it became readily available at Cost Plus, Amazon, and (sometimes) even K-Mart. This is a great product and since it doesn’t have gelatin, I can serve the cakes to my Muslim friends who have to avoid gelatin.

48. Laura Seavolt

Love your advice!! Thank you for having this for us.

My question is – how far in advance can we make the stabilized whipped cream for a layered cake? I was going to sandwich the cake tonight(thursday) so that I can decorate tomorrow(friday) and deliver on saturday. From one of the comments you stated that we can hold the cake a day or two ahead. So I am hoping that our answer will be – I should be safe with my time frame of things.

We’re glad we can help, Laura! As long as its kept cool, we generally find that stabilized whipped cream can last for at least 24 hrs without deflating, so you might be stretching it a bit to go almost two days. If we can help think through your plan with you more in detail, feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE. Mollie@KAF

While stabilizing whipped cream does help it to hold its shape in warmer temperatures, for food safety reasons, we wouldn’t recommend leaving it out at room temperature for more than a few hours. Mollie@KAF

49. Tochi

About goimg into the kitchen to make whipped cream. I will try the gelatin method and see what happens. If i tweak, I will cime give you my feedback. Thanks for the post

50. Mana

Hi I want to ask you some how do you keep whipped cream after made by heavy cream? Keep it in refrigerator? But when I put it in regerator it become not soft anymore. Thank in advance

1. Susan Reid

Mana, if you stabilize your whipped cream with the mixture of Instant ClearJel and sugar, it won’t lose its shape when you store it. I have had some success with using Coconut Milk Powder as a stabilizer, too. Susan

51. Sam

Can you use sheet gelatin to stabilize whipped cream, if so how do u do it, I tried and I made something that looked that rotten milk.

You can indeed, Sam. You’ll want to hydrate the sheets in cold water, squeeze out the excess liquid, then warm the gel just until it reaches a liquid state. You want the gelatin to be liquid, but not warm when you stream it into the whipped cream, so you may find that it helps to let the mixture sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes before using. As a general rule of thumb, two sheets should be enough to stabilize 4 cups of cream. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

52. Madhura Kulkarni

Hello,
    In India I used to use Rich’s sweetened whipping cream for frosting cakes…which used to get stiff peaks within 15 minutes.Now in the US ,I have tried the melting butter method,the marshmallow method but none has resulted in a success.I am going to try the gelatin method today and let you know the feedback soon