Sift Magazine: the fall 2015 issue is here!

We’ve been getting calls for a couple of weeks now, asking when our next issue of Sift magazine would arrive. Happily, the wait is over: Sift’s fall 2015 issue is now available, and we wanted to tempt you with a preview of some the wonderful recipes, smart writing, and beautiful photos inside.

Sift magazine via@kingarthurflour

Our table of contents gives you an idea: we visit a treasure trove of dessert heavens in Brooklyn, with Erica Patinkin and Agatha Kulaga of Ovenly; then go to check out a tailgating party outside Brewers’ stadium in Milwaukee.

We take a trip to Washington State to learn about developing custom wheat varieties for farmers, then head to one of the oldest grist mills in the country, Gray’s in Rhode Island. They’ve been milling grain since the 1600s, and are still grinding white cap flint corn.

What to make with that cornmeal, and what to bake it in? Check out our recipes to bake in cast iron, as well as the collector’s gallery of cast iron cookery.

sift fall 15 via@kingarthurflourTime to take it back on the road. We take a couple of laps around the Northeast to pay homage to a collection of wonderful diners.

Sift magazine via@kingarthurflour.comThen we take a swing over to Salem, MA to visit Andy and Jackie King at their bakery. This dynamic husband and wife duo met at culinary school, and have made a life for themselves on baking amazing artisan bread.

Sift Magazine via@kingarthurflourWhich gets us to thinking about lunch, and what kind of portable treats we can cook up for taking to work and school. Such scholarly ideas, in turn, send us on a field trip …

Sift magazine via@kingarthurflour… to do some research, of course. About pie. Emily Hilliard, who writes Nothing in the House, a blog about pie (and who also happens to work at the Smithsonian), shares some of her amazing recipes with us, as well as delving into pie’s place in our history.

There’s much, much more in Sift magazine’s fall issue. Read about Hot Bread Kitchen, an amazing place where baking is the key for women to overcome language or economic barriers and make their way, while sharing their unique bread recipes with an eager, and hungry, audience.

Sift magazine via @kingarthurflourOur bread board feature is Apple and Spice and Everything. Baked, that is. You’ll also find recipes that make the most of farm stand and CSA offerings. Tips for taking better food photos. Answers to baking questions.

Sift magazine fall 15 back-coverEvery page has something to enjoy, including our own employee-owner Brian Barthelmes’ illustration on the back. It’s whimsical, fun, tasty-looking, and makes us a little bit hungry.  Be on the lookout for your copy of Sift at your local newsstand, bookstore, or grocery store. Or buy it from us (the shipping is free). Lets bake some beautiful things together this fall.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Joanie B

I picked up a copy yesterday here in central NC (8/24) at the grocery store! The Pear, Brie, and Onion Flatbread looks divine!! The dippable/pourable Fondant Frosting may change my life as far as decorating. And those PB cupcakes in the same article?–yum!! BUT–that Apple Cake w/Brown Sugar Frosting?! Probably will be the first thing I bake out of this issue! Yowza! IF it ever cools down enough to keep the oven on long enough (still upper 80’s here).

Nice work again, KAF folks! (And grateful salutes to your online store/shipping folks, my recent order came very quickly!)

2. Rosa

We made the Salsa Brats from this gorgeous magazine this weekend…and it was AWESOME. Just one note, though, we only used 1 bottle of beer and a little less water…but it was simply amazing!!! Thanks so much for a great magazine!

3. Esther Smith

I live in Holdrege, Nebraska, and am wondering where I might be able to purchase this locally?

Thank you!

Sift can be found in assorted Barnes and Noble bookstores, Costco, Sam’s Club, and a wide variety of national grocery stores. We can send it to you with no shipping charge, if that’s easier. Happy baking! Laurie@KAF

2. January

Esther,
      The new 2015 fall edition of Sift is at Walmart in Kearney in their magazine section.
      The price is $12.95. Hope that helps. 🙂

3. MaryJane Robbins

Thanks so much for sharing your Sift sighting, January. Maybe we’ll create a new hobby “Siftspotting”. 🙂 ~ MJ

4. Bob Ostwald

To Lauri@KAF,

Would you ship the first two issues with no shipping charge? If so, that would be great. We just learned of Sift from our friend Steve at Babette’s and I picked up the holiday issue today. Would love to get the first two issues as well for my wife who is a pastry chef. Please let me know and I will get you a credit card number.

Thank you!
      Bob

The first issue is currently sold out, but the Fall and Holiday issues are available. Please call our customer care line and we can help with an order. Jon@KAF 1-800-827-6836

The first one (Spring, 2015) may be purchased on our site. Fall, 2015 may also be purchased on our site or in a bookstore or grocery store near you. I hope you will enjoy them both! Elisabeth@KAF

4. Patty Poston

Looking forward to getting my copy. It will be fun tweaking these recipes as needed to make Gluten-Free as I must eat. KAF has so many wonderful mixes and flours to make that process so easy. Thanks for all the wonderful foods I get to eat.

5. Jackie Julty

Is there any way of getting a subscription to Sift? Or even paying for a downloaded on line version?
    Thanks
    Jackie Julty

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Jacki,
      Sift is going to be available in many retail stores and on our site, however we aren’t offer it as an e-zine or as a subscription. Thanks for double checking! ~ MJ

6. Susan

Siftspotting alert – found and bought the last copy at a local Fred Meyer store (OR) – hopefully they’ll restock. Look at Kroger, Fred Meyer, Dillon, Fry’s, QFC, Ralph, Smith’s – they are all part of the Kroger corporation – I don’t know which of these stores sell magazines. Hope this helps! : )

1. Nancy

Found it in Kroger in Atlanta this week. It is beautiful, and I’m looking forward to cooler temps and fall baking. Thanks for another inviting and motivating issue!

I am happy you found it! I am with you about cooler temps. I am waiting too! Elisabeth@KAF

7. member-redhead2241

just discovered Sift at my grocery store. Wow what a beautiful magazine. Awesome recipes and articles. Can’t wait to try these fall recipes. Thank KAF folks. YOU ROCK

It is not a subscription like our since retired Baking Sheet was. Instead, please order issue by issue from our site (no additional shipping charges) or pick up your copy from your favorite bookstore! Elisabeth@KAF

8. April

I found it at a QFC store in Seattle and will get to read it tomorrow morning! Thanks for letting us know a new issue was out. I never go down the magazine isle at the grocery store.

I am pleased you found it, April! Look for the next one before the holidays. Elisabeth@KAF

We would love for you to have this issue so just order on our site or make a trip to your favorite grocery store or newsstand and pick up a copy today for $12.95. There is no additional shipping cost. Elisabeth@KAF

1. Linda Romano

For Colleen who lives in Canada. I live in Ontario and found the first issue of Sift at my local Shoppers Drug Mart. I’m sure they’ll the second issue as well. Good luck.

9. Brenda

Wondering if someone who’s gotten the issue could comment as to how much coverage there is for gluten free recipes/articles. It’s a long drive to the nearest place where I could look at a physical copy before buying. 🙂 TIA!

1/5 (10 out of 50) of the recipes are gluten free in this recent issue, Brenda. Hope that helps in making your decision on whether to make the journey or not! Elisabeth@KAF

10. Martha Harris

I have not been able to find the Sift magazine in my area. What nationwide chain store will have this magazine?

Costco, Safeway, Barnes & Noble , Publix, Sams Club Hq, Stop & Shop, Kroger, Whole Foods Market, Shoppers Drug Mart Ltd, Independent, Sprouts Farmers Market, Wegmans Food Markets Inc, Albertsons, Hannaford Bros Co, Target Stores, Walgreens…just to name a FEW! Elisabeth@KAF

11. Tricia Kovalik

I am not sure I will be buying this 2nd issue of SIFT magazine. I bought the inaugural edition of SIFT magazine when it came out in the Spring 2015. It was expensive, for what you got. The pictures were lovely, mouth-watering and appealing……but most of the recipes were not things I would make at home. I might give it another chance, but at $12.95……I would hope it would have more reader-friendly recipes. Maybe it just wasn’t quite what I expected from King Arthur Flour. Then again, I am not a very good bread baker (yeast breads)…..so perhaps the magazine just isn’t meant for me. It does have gorgeous pictures though!

We really appreciate your feedback, Tricia! Our hope is that no matter what type of baker you are or the skill level that you may find something new and inspiring. Maybe the next issue will be spot-on and hopefully lead you right to your kitchen grabbing for the flour! Elisabeth@KAF

12. retha

Thanks for the alert. I was very pleased to purchase it at my next trip to Costco. (BTW, thanks for getting Costco to carry it.)
    I love: the high quality paper it’s printed on (no flimsy, fast decaying paper); the beautiful photography and illustrations; the wonderful articles about the people at King Arthur Flour, other bakers and the communities served; and of course the tempting recipes.
    Thanks for the wonderful magazine. May you be able to continue to provide this great addition to your product line.

13. Stacy Scott Berteau

I Loved the first edition of Sift and can hardly wait to see this new one! I am so grateful to KAF! I have bought several items,and have been so pleased with everything! My favorite? Irish Style whole wheat flour. I have an original Irish bread recipe. It is delicious! While my Irish friends ordered their flour from Ireland, I have shared the recipe and the source for my favorite Irish whole wheat flour!

Thanks KAF!

14. Jessica

I discovered the Fall issue of Sift in our local Vons market and read it cover to cover for several nights, picking a few recipes to try over the weekend. the Apple Corn Hotcakes were a huge success on Saturday morning but I seemed to have failed miserably with the much anticipated Semolina Apricot Fennel Bread. The dough was much to wet to hold shape even after several folds and the addition of a 1/4 cup of additional flour after the first rest. I think I followed the recipe carefully and am a fairly experienced baker, might the ratios be off a tad? I was able to save the dough by finishing it off with the Mark Bittman no-knead method of putting loose dough in a hot covered cast iron pot. it is cooling now and smells heavenly. Tonight we will have the Panzanella, then I will try the Desart Cakes, as I am very interested in historic recipes. Thank you for a lovely publication.

Hi, Jessica. Good vamp on your part. Couple of questions: Are you measuring by weight, or volume? How finely ground is your Semolina? Are your apricots fairly moist? Did you use bread flour, which needs more water, or all-purpose? The hydration rate on this dough is pretty much 100%, and that is pretty wet. If you try again, give it a go with 10 ounces of water in the dough and see if you have better results; be sure to let us know. I’m headed to the kitchen to bake this one again myself to double check. Susan

1. sharon

I am in the process of making this bread now and I am having the same issue. It is way too wet. I measure by weight and am an experienced bread baker. Something is clearly wrong with this recipe. I am going to add some more flour and some more semolina and see if it can be saved. I will write back later to let you know what happens.

We’re not sure which recipe you’re using as there are 10 yeast bread recipes in the Fall Sift issue. In general when you’re working with a wet dough, wet your hands instead of flour. The Semolina Apricot Fennel Bread is a wet dough – for suggestions of how to make the process easier to handle please consider a call to our baker’s hotline at 855-371-BAKE(2253). Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

3. Sharon

I am writing in a thread, thus I thought it was clear that I was referring to Jessica’s post about the Semolina Apricot Fennel Bread.
      I am a big KA fan, took a class, tell everyone to buy from you, etc…Really. I love KA.
      This is what is making my experience today so disappointing. I unfortunately had become too trusting of KA recipes. I should have read this blog and seen Jessica’s post before I tried to make this bread.
      The recipe for Semolina Apricot Fennel Bread does not work.

I have made plenty of wet dough breads, ciabatta etc…I understand the process and something is definitely wrong with this recipe. This is not an issue of handling, unless the directions for this are very wrong. Someone over at KA should actually check out what Jessica and I are saying by trying to bake it as written.

As one reads through these blog posts, it is clear that there is more than one recipe problem in this edition of Sift. See Jane’s post below too. As well, the article about Brooklyn bakeries contains inaccuracies about neighborhoods. I enjoy the beautiful pictures in Sift; but it looks as if the editors need to put a bit more into checking the recipes and articles.

As far as the Semolina bread went, I wound up salvaging it by adding about another 5 ounces of flour (mix of semolina and bread) and doing a bit of kneading. The overall product was ok. I think the additional flour negated some of the flavor of the apricots and fennel…but at least I didn’t have to just throw it out.

4. Susan Reid, post author

Dear Sharon: You are correct, the amount of water given in the dough amount in the published recipe was incorrectly transcribed by me, and was not caught in the proofreading process. The correct amount is 8 ounces in the dough, not 16, but I have tested the bread with 12 ounces of water and had good success. My sincere apologies for the error; we are almost done collecting reader feedback so that we can post a list of corrections and clarifications on the item page on our website. We are continually working to improve the proofreading process, but we’re human, and try as we might occasionally something like this slips through. I am truly sorry, but don’t give up on the bread. It’s absolutely delicious and deserves another try. Susan

15. Jarrett Smith

It’s taken a long time, but I think there’s finally a magazine to fill the hole in my life that Gourmet left. And the design of Sift is beyond great. Will it always be a newstand only publication? I’d subscribe in a minute.

16. Tanya

Great publication! My husband bought me the spring 2015 edition for Mother’s Day. I was hooked! I probably wouldn’t have pd $13.00 for the magazine myself. But Sift is now one of my favorite magazines. Well worth the price. I just purchased the fall 2015 edition. Love the stories behind the recipes, gorgeous photography, excellent baking tips, and of course all the recipes. Especially too the wide variety of recipes. I’m glad Sift is not a monthly magazine because it takes me a lot longer than a month to bake, read, and just enjoy your wonderful sift!

17. Rita Waldock

Can I “Sift” in Canada? And if so where? I tried ordering it from you, but the shipping charges are very high. I sure hope you are selling in Canada.

1. MaryJane Robbins

HI Rita,
      Yes, we are selling Sift in Cananda. Try Shopper’s Drug Market, and larger grocery stores. ~ MJ

2. Tiena

I’m in Canada and found Sift in Walmart and Fortinos, which is part of the Loblaws chain. Hope that helps.

18. Donna

Love this beautiful magazine and can’t wait to try some of the recipes. I even bought a copy for my sister–we are planning a trip to NYC in April and love the idea of a “bakery crawl”. Thanks so much!! I love your products–only use King Arthur flour!! Will there be a Holiday edition?

It wouldn’t be the holidays without some fresh baking inspiration! Yes, there will be a holiday edition of Sift released. Look for it October 27, 2015! Happy reading! Kye@KAF

19. Jane Phillips

Enjoying my second edition of Sift. Made the Butterscotch Apple Sweet Rolls today. Recipe mentions a crumb topping??? Not sure where this fits in nor do I see any ingredients for it….confused. Possibly a technical error? Thanks for a lovely publication!

There is no crumb topping in this recipe. That was an error and we apologize for the confusion! We are happy to hear you are enjoying this issue! Elisabeth@KAF

20. jennifer w

these issues are absolutely gorgeous KAF! I love the very feel of it. Yes, it’s pricey but it’s printed with real quality people! this ain’t your “Good Housekeeping” that is loaded with 100 ads in it! In fact, there are ZERO advertisements. SO WORTH IT!! Keep up the quality work KAF…

21. Jean Jerger

Love the magazine, unfortunately didn’t have good luck with my first recipe – the apple corn hotcakes. Recipe called for Mace – which I did not have and have never used before. I did splurge and buy the mace – $9.99 (ykes – but it sounded good – “sweeter than nutmeg”). The mace flavor was all that you could taste in recipe – it was very bitter and did taste like a strong nutmeg. Totally overpowered the apple and cheese flavors. Do you think that 1/2 tsp was the correct amount?

Making the caramel chocolate oatmeal bars tomorrow!

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Jean,
      Yes, the amount is correct in the recipe. You can definitely reduce the amount of mace to suit your taste. ~ MJ

22. Marilyn Childers

Just baked the Vegan Whole Grain Banana Bread that was in the latest Sift issue (Fall 2015). I can’t begin to tell you how incredibly good it came out! I have purchased about every Vegan dessert/baking book I can find and have had disappointing results. So, I was holding my breath. But, KAF bakers came through.

Please offer more Vegan recipes in your upcoming Sift issues. I can’t wait to try the Spiced Pumpkin Cake and The Double Fudge Chocolate Cake in the same issue. I know they will be great!!

Marilyn C

You’ll see Sift as single issues – available through King Arthur Flour or at a store (grocery, bookstore, retail store) near you! Happy
      Baking! Irene@KAF

23. Amanda Saul

Enjoying the Fall issue of Sift, what a lovely magazine. I have a question about the baked blueberry pancakes on Pg. 100. The photograph clearly shows them being baked in a round pan, however the recipe calls for a 9″x13″ pan. Just wondering if the volume of the batter is enough for such a large pan? In the photograph, it looks thin having come from the round pan, and was imagining how they would be coming from the 9″x13″.
    Thank-you, look forward to the next issue.

If you are looking for a typical pancake thickness, bake this recipe is a 9″ by 13″ pan. If you would like the pancake slices to be a bit taller (1″- 1 1/2″) then you can use a 9″ round cake pan. If you would like the pancake thinness but the presentation of a round pan, use two 8″ round cake pans. We hope you give this technique a try–it makes breakfast a breeze. Kye@KAF

24. Tanya

Any chance of doing a reprint on the Spring 2015 issue. We missed it and can’t seem to even find a second hand copy out there! Thanks!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Sonya, the magazine is not currently available for subscription, but it’s a free shipping item. It’s also in all major bookstores and grocery stores. Susan

Hi Marsha,
      Currently there’s no subscription for Sift available, but instead it’s available on a per issue basis. The next issue comes out on August 30th, so look for it then. Happy reading and happy baking! Kye@KAF

25. libbie batazzi

my only comment is: after reading miles of comments and other on your site today, I still don’t see how to subscribe to swift. I’m filling out my name and email below which you already have and asking herewith to consider this my Subscription. I also have a suggestion: cut out all the pages of comments and lets take one or two things at a time! Back up a bit!

1. Susan Reid, post author

We’re sorry, but sift is not available by subscription, only from our website as individual issues or on news stands. Susan

26. John H

Should really offer a subscription for this magazine. I wanted to buy this as a gift for somebody but not having a subscription doesn’t allow for this.

Thanks for your request, John. For a number of reasons it doesn’t make sense for us to offer Sift in a subscription format right now, but we appreciate hearing your interest. As an alternative, we’d suggest gifting the most recent issue(s) and a gift card (electronic or physical) to cover the cost of future issues (we are currently publishing three per year at $12.95 each). Hope this helps you to pass along the joy of Sift! Mollie@KAF

27. Janet Campbell

Getting ready to try the Ginger Honey Brioche recipe out of the Spring 2015 Sift (yes I keep them all! Love the magazine) and it calls for a piece of fresh ginger and I am trying to figure out how big or little is the piece of ginger? Any direction would be welcomed. Thank you!

Hi Janet, we’re glad to hear you’re an eager reader of Sift! The Ginger-Honey Brioche recipe calls for 1″ piece of fresh ginger to make the honey. Fresh ginger can range in thickness, so feel free to use your personal judgement to decide just how much you use. A 1″ chunk of a standard piece of ginger in this recipe imparts a warming, but not overpowering ginger flavor. Enjoy! Kye@KAF