Almond Flour Recipes: 4 of our favorites

Almond flour might seem like an obscure ingredient to some, but it’s actually a flour that’s used in many traditional baked goods, like French Macarons and Mexican Wedding Cookies. Traditionally, almond flour was used not only to add flavor, but also for the texture it brings to baked goods. Almond flour is full of protein, fiber, and healthy fats. The soft, delicate crumb it provides in baked goods makes it fantastic for things like cookies, cakes, and even muffins.

Almond flour has recently seen a resurgence of sorts. With more people choosing to remove gluten from their diets or looking to add more nutritional benefits to their baked goods, it’s become a flour that many bakers keep on hand, especially when they’re baking gluten-free. In our gluten-free baking, we like to use almond flour in combination with our gluten-free flour, as it can be used in both sweet and savory baked goods, bringing flavor, texture and nutritional benefits.

In today’s post we’ll show you four of our favorite almond flour recipes, spanning breakfast all the way to decadent dessert.Almond Flour Pancakes via @kingarthurflour

1. Almond Flour Pancakes

When you think about the perfect stack of pancakes, we bet your mind immediately jumps to light and moist. This stack of cakes is just that: ultra-moist, tender, and perfect for breakfast. The addition of almond flour turns these gluten-free pancakes into a power-packed breakfast treat that can easily be jazzed up with the addition of berries, chocolate chips, or even chopped nuts.

Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins via @kingarthurflour

2. Almond Flour Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Bright and cheery, these lemon poppy seed muffins use a combination of almond flour and gluten-free flour for what might just be one of our favorite muffins yet. They rise beautifully, have an incredibly tender and moist texture, and they’re full of flavor. They also freeze well, making them an excellent treat that you can have on hand at any time.

Almond Flour Zucchini Bread via @kingarthurflour3. Almond Flour Zucchini Bread

Whether you need to use up some extra zucchini or you’re just looking for a simple gluten-free quick bread, this almond flour zucchini bread can’t be beat. It’s tender, dense, and lightly sweetened, so it’s perfect for breakfast, with afternoon tea, or as dessert. We love it lightly reheated with a pat of butter on top.

Almond Flour Brownies via @kingarthurflour

4. Almond Flour Brownies

Sweet, decadent, and full of dark chocolate flavor, these almond flour brownies are ultra-fudgy and make for a pretty spectacular treat. They use only a few simple ingredients and mimic the texture of traditional fudge brownies, so we bet no one will even be able to tell they’re 100% grain-free. They’re a crowd-pleaser for sure!

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She’s been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. fun size wife

Thank you for the new recipes. Going gluten-free has improved my immune system greatly, and having the resource you provide for bakers helps so much.

2. Rose yamaguchi

I can’t wait to try one of the almond flour recipes. Thanks for introducing the grain free flour. I enjoy reading your e- mails.

3. Pral

I am not looking for gluten free recipes, but would like to incorporate almond flour. So would substituting regular flour in the above recipes work? Or how much almond flour can we substitute for flour in other recipes?

Almond flour does not absorb liquid as readily, it takes more time and is more paste-like. For yeast breads ADD up to 1/3 of the total flour of the recipe in addition to the regular flour. EX. For a 3 cup of flour recipe, use 3 cups reg. flour and ADD another cup of almond flour. For a non-yeast recipe, you can experiment with reducing the fat in the recipe. Start very small, often you can only reduce by about a tablespoon. Good luck! Elisabeth@KAF

4. Jane

Well, I can only use one of these recipes for my granddaughter since she is allergic to rice. We can’t use that gluten free flour in the other recipes. I will keep searching… also can’t eat oats, corn, wheat, dairy, peanuts, pecans,bananas… We have a sweet potato brownie recipe. Don’t really need another brownie recipe.

5. Margaret

Could I make the Almond Poppy Seed muffins with “regular” flour in lieu of the gluten free flour and gum? Looks like a marvelous recipe . Thanks

6. Joanie

does anyone know of a “blonde” brownie recipe where the blonde brownies are chewy like a regular brownie. I thought I could take a regular brownie recipe and omit the chocolate and cocoa powder. but you end up with a cake texture brownie. does anyone have a suggestion? or a chewy ” blonde Brownie ” recipe. HELP

1. Deb

Janie, I use my husband’s grandmother’s re pie: 1 cup self rising flour, 1 cup brown sugar, a stick of melted butter and a cup of chopped pecans. Bake in a 8×8 glass pan at 350 till toothpick comes out clean.

7. Quinn

Could you please confirm the amount of milk to add in the pancakes? Instead of 2/3 cup as called for, the comments suggest anything from 4/3 to 3 cups! I don’t want to guess wrong and waste ingredients, esp almond flour which is delicious but quite pricey. Thanks!

1. Alyssa Rimmer, post author

Hi Quinn, sorry for the confusion. This recipe calls for the correct amount of milk, 2/3 cup. The comment is referring to adding almond flour to a recipe that hasn’t been developed using almond flour, in particular yeasted breads. Hope that helps! Alyssa

8. Catherine

I was going to try one of your cookie recipes using almond flour until I went to the store and saw that it was $12.99!!!

9. R Garcia

You need to pay a little more attention to how a recipe is written. If I want a recipe in oz.’s, you don’t list fl. oz. for the liquid ingredients. The same anomaly occurs if I switch to gram weight, and liquid ingredients say grams, and not in mls. The inaccuracy causes me to dismiss the recipe, or I guess at what you meant to say; which certainly detracts from all your hard work developing these recipes.

When bakers weigh ingredients (even liquid ingredients) the measurement is the weight in ounces or grams, not fluid ounces, which is a volume measurement. This can cause confusion, but it’s important to consider only the weight of the ingredients when you shift to scaling your ingredients and ignore the fluid ounce measurements. Barb@KAF

10. Marie Lawlor

Can’t wait to try these recipes.I am Gf,dairy free egg free soy free.Not easy to make stuff and expensive to buy all the time.So I just bought almond flour and off to baking I go.Cookies first then muffins.Thanks so much.

11. Maureen

I am on the AutoImmune Paleo lifestyle due to an autoimmune disease. I am unable to use gluten-free flours due to rice or corn in them. I do think I can make the brownies using maple syrup or honey instead of sugar. I am thinking the ratio would be different, or it may effect the batter also?

12. Elise Sacharczyk

I made 2 zucchini breads, 1 with wheat flour & one with almond flour. The wheat one came out great, but the almond one was too moist & gooey. I had to throw it out. Any hints?

Elise/July 2016

Was the almond flour version made using a combo of almond flour and either wheat or GF flour (as our recipe does)? While it adds a lot of wonderful things, almond flour also lacks a lot of the properties of wheat flour and doesn’t generally make for a good 100% substitution. In a quick bread like this, almond flour can be substituted for up to 1/4 of the total flour in your favorite version. For a GF version, give the recipe linked to this blog a try! Mollie@KAF

13. Catie

I have read through the comments, and didn’t see this question. Often with shredded zucchini bread recipes, it is permissible to exchange the zucchini for shredded Apple, or carrots. Would this recipe be adaptable to using a cup of shredded carrots instead of the zucchini? The recipe sounds lovely, except I have no “end of the summer” great produce this year! 🙁

Thanks for all your hard work Alyssa, in creating these wonderful wheat free recipes,
    Catie

Hi Catie,
      We’re glad to hear you enjoy baking our gluten-free recipes! You’re right, often times other vegetables and fruit can be used to replace the zucchini in recipes. The one variable to keep in mind is the moisture content. If you use something like carrots or apples, obviously the flavor will change a bit, but to maintain the same moist, tender texture you’ll want to make sure you have a comparable moisture content. This means that sometimes you may need to add a tablespoon or two of extra liquid (I like to use almond milk!) to loosen up the batter or dough. Other than that, go ahead and bake the recipe as the recipe instructs. You might also like our gluten-free morning glory muffins, which uses both shredded apples and carrots! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

14. Gluten Eater

I’m really glad the posts and replies are all about ingredients, recipes, and quality, and not giving medical advice. Gluten doesn’t cause all the evils in the world.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Deb,
      We’d suggest finding a comparable or close recipe written for regular flour rather than trying to convert. Oftentimes the liquid ratios are different, and the leavener may vary as well. MJR@KAF

Hi Ann, we don’t have any recipes for sandwich bread that use only almond flour, as it doesn’t have the necessary properties to develop the structure. If you’re interested in adding an accent of almond flour, you can use the principle described in the article above (add up to 1/3 cup of almond flour) to a designed-to-be gluten-free recipe like ours for Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

15. Elayne Cree

I am in the first phase of Atkins diet, which allows no atarch or sugar. I want to make a cheese puff, which starts with 6 cups of milk and one cup milk heated until dissolved and thickened. Would almond flour work? It’s a big recipe (12 eggs).

Hi Elayne, almond flour is best used in recipes that either call for it specifically, or paired with another flour that contains gluten. Since almond flour is gluten-free, it doesn’t give baked goods like popovers the support they need to rise high. If you’re looking for a cheesy recipe that only uses almond flour, you might want to try making our Gluten-Free Almond Flour Crackers. You can add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (or the cheese of your choice) to the dough to add a pleasant cheesey flavor. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

Elayne, it can be used for breading, Elayne, but we wouldn’t recommend it as a thickener. A gluten-free blend like our Gluten-Free Flour, arrowroot, tapioca flour, potato starch, or corn starch would all be better gf thickening options. Mollie@KAF