Holiday Baking (and reading): from Sift

Holiday baking is the time when the otherwise humble ingredients flour, butter, sugar and yeast take on great power, as they form the alphabet of a family’s baking history and culture. Bakers everywhere are moving toward the kitchen, with the desire to continue their families’ food traditions, or to invent new ones.

Our new issue of Sift looks to honor the act of mixing and kneading, as every year’s holiday baking forms a connection with the bakers and recipes that have gone before. Join us for a virtual browse of the latest, our Holiday issue.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourThe table of contents is a little like that first peek under the lid of your holiday present after unwrapping.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourAfter checking out what could be for breakfast, and which classic holiday sweet bread to make…Holiday baking via@kingarthurflour

…come outside with us to the top of a ski mountain. At the ski patrol’s home base, called Top Hut, there are secret feasts to discover and enjoy.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourOnce you’re back indoors, put up your feet and do a little armchair traveling to San Francisco, where Josey Baker is grinding his own flour, baking amazing bread, and creating a great vibe in his quest to bake great bread with fresh flour at The Mill.

Holiday baking via@kingarthurflourBy now you’re probably itching to bake, and we’ve collected a dozen great cookie recipes for you with our blogger cookie swap. Tasty, creative twists and some classic must-haves all gather together so everyone can create a collection of treats for giving and sharing.

We haven’t forgotten Thanksgiving: Check out Sheri Castle’s wonderful riff on some Turkey Day classics, as we drop by her family’s annual feast. The folks at Ovenly show us some of their favorite things to bake with cardamom. We’ve gathered a bevy of beautiful Bundt cakes for you, for an easy entertaining dessert option; and Molly Shuster takes us on a tour of the many amazing delights that can be created with chestnuts.

Our first Holiday Sift ever promises to make the season merry, bright, and very, very tasty.

Susan Reid

Chef Susan Reid grew up in New Jersey, graduated from Bates College and the Culinary Institute of America, and is presently the Food Editor of Sift magazine. She does demos, appearances, and answers food (and baking) questions from all quarters.

comments

1. Jack Meyers

I love your sift magazine and I have a question concerning some of the breads Martin Phillip has featured in the article about him. What is he sifting over the breads to make the designs for them. Is it flour, sugar, something else? Great photographs btw.

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Jack. The stenciling on the breads is done with a flour that matches the flour used in the loaf. Thanks for the good words! Susan

2. Kathy Jones

I made the Belgian White Ale Cookies today from the new Sift Magazine. They are wonderful!! I will be making these for many years to come!!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Hi, Kathy! Isn’t great to make a new recipe friend? Thanks for letting us know! Susan

3. Maryon

For other Canadians who might want to pick up a copy of SIFT I found it in Toronto at both Walmart and Indigo books this past weekend. I was so pleased to find it. I called KAF customer service who told me it is not available in Canada but decided to look for it just in case and was so glad I did. Thank you, KAF for making it available to us. It would have cost $18 to have a copy mailed to me and I just couldn’t justify it.

Thanks for this! We’re pleased to have fans in Canada who can find the publication easily! Laurie@KAF

4. Lucy

Thank you for the holiday issue of SIFT. I need to eat gluten free but bought it, period. I want to support KAF’s new venture at least for this holiday issue. I and every other serious baker or creative eater can benefit immensely from the power of the creativity from cover to cover. I have found, also as a professional baker, chef, teacher that my ability and creativity is always enhanced by taking the brave step to buy one or two holiday publications. I call it my Christmas gift to myself . I am going to gorge hypothetically on chestnuts and at the very least have bedtime reading which will only bring sweet dreams. Thank you again, I can only imagine all the work that went into creating this issue. It is a wise purchase for anyone, ignore those naysayers. Like they need to know the story before they buy the book, hogwash!
    Happy Baking Holidays KAF!!

1. Susan Reid, post author

Thanks so much, Lucy. And the Chestnut Pavlova is GF, so you can indulge yourself there! Best wishes to you for your holiday season. Susan

5. Charlene Sutherby

I bought the first Sift Edition when it came out at our local Meijer Store and have not seen it since. Can you tell me who is selling it in our area. I really liked the magazine.

Charlene, Meijer stores are on our list of stores carrying SIFT, so I’m not sure why you haven’t been able to find the subsequent issues. Kroger stores also should have it, as well as Barnes & Noble. You can also order SIFT through our website, with no shipping charge. Barb@KAF

Over 20 gluten-free recipes in the holiday issue! We hope you pick it up and give some of those recipes a try! Kye@KAF

6. Fran Daniel

King Arthur is the best! Who else reads cookbooks for fun! I always see new ideas in Sift!
    Ordering my copy today! Happy Holidays and Happy Baking!